• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2014

Wow that's a lot of games.

Question on Nightmare in Dream Land: I've played the original NES Kirby's Adventure before. Are the improvements significant enough to warrant a purchase? What are the changes from the NES game (besides better graphics)?

Goody

Going off Joe's post, it doesn't appear that NOA wanted to announce any "coming soon" games this time. I was looking forward to seeing what other Virtual Console games we would see in the near future. Not to downplay how nice it is that we're getting Demon's Crest, Gargoyle's Quest II, and Kirby all today, of course.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Maybe they wanna make a big deal out of the DKC games? November -is- the series' 20th anniversary if I'm not mistaken...
My thoughts exactly, Richie. NoA doesn't seem to announce events like this ahead of time like Europe does, and since they have three VC games this week (all good ones, I might add) instead of spacing them out over the next month, I wouldn't be surprised if November was Donkey Kong month in the eShop. That is assuming that whatever issues were going on with the original Wii VC releases in Europe were also dealt with in North America.

That or they just stopped giving us advance knowledge of VC releases because the hype train has derailed and we're not getting anything interesting or nothing at all next week.

Or they just forgot but I doubt it. I feel like I remember the months leading up to the holiday season being awesome for the Wii VC heyday and they've been on a roll lately.

That or they just stopped giving us advance knowledge of VC releases because the hype train has derailed and we're not getting anything interesting or nothing at all next week.

For VC output, we may very well not get anything next week. Indie releases look solid though! Pier Solar HD and Citizens of Earth!

God I forgot about Citizens of Earth.... damned

I believe it's out on Tuesday, actually.

This may sound stupid, but I'm still amazed that we live in an age where I'm able to buy TWO full length RPGs for less than $30, right from my den. My SNES-owning, RPG-loving 8-year-old self would shit bricks.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
According to the developer on Miiverse, the Wii U Sku of The Fall has been such a success that it's completely funded development of the second and third episode.

The Fall: Episode 2 is due out early Fall 2015.

The wait...

Great to hear that it sold well! How much does the first episode cost anyways?

tebunker

Banned
I believe it's out on Tuesday, actually.

This may sound stupid, but I'm still amazed that we live in an age where I'm able to buy TWO full length RPGs for less than $30, right from my den. My SNES-owning, RPG-loving 8-year-old self would shit bricks.

Seriously, I mean I remember having to ride to TRU as a 14 year old to get FF3 for $75..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, just finished the Gamesbymo interview not too long ago and vis a vis the Wii U version, it is being developed in tandem with the PC/PS4 (yes, this game is also officially coming to the PS4) versions, will feature Off-TV Play, "basic" Gamepad functionality, like a map or something and the strongest attempts will be made to have all versions launch at the same time. Much more about the game itself was also discussed but I'll let you all find the interview if you are so interested.

Robin64

Just wanted to show that I've been making progress on my small Alleyway clone for the Wii U, which is currently called Break the World.

There are eight locations with three levels each, plus one or two secret levels. The two modes to play are Marathon, which is every level in order to obtain the highest score, and "Level Select" (temp), where you pick a world and the three levels loop, with blocks starting to slide down faster with each loop.

On top of that, there are three paddles to pick, each with a power. They begin a bit crap but the more you play with them, the more they level up. For example, at level 1 the red paddle fires one laser shot. At level 10 you get ten shots.

I'd love to get Leaderboards support in before I launch, but that depends on the availability of a certain plugin, so it might not happen. I'll definitely patch it once it's available, though. In the meantime, there is a screen showing full stats that you can post to Miiverse.

Also, it has Off-TV play. Because dammit, all Wii U games should have that.

SERzJ15.jpg

also

Banned
I hope the ball's design is not final as it looks kinda bad; don't like the shading and would rather it be mono color. Have you considered multiple skins or even allowing users to design their own ball?
Might seem like a minor complaint but you'll be looking at the ball a lot of the time...

Robin64

I recommend reading this NintendoLife review of BrickBlast U. Good idea to look at a video of the game. The video makes it seem like the game is very slow, and for a breakout game, that is very bad. So look at these as an idea of what not to do.

Nice, thanks!

I hope the ball's design is not final as it looks kinda bad; don't like the shading and would rather it be mono color. Have you considered multiple skins or even allowing users to design their own ball?
Might seem like a minor complaint but you'll be looking at the ball a lot of the time...

Man, I hear ya. I've had so much trouble with that bloody ball. Trying to find something that you can see regardless of the background has been a nightmare. Currently it is this:

XMfAVAs.png

Which is unashamedly just an edit of the Iron Ball from Pokemon.

Dream_Iron_Ball_Sprite.png

So no, it's not final, but it's also an area that I'm tearing my hair out on.

jholmes

How is Lone Survivor Director's Cut?

I gave my impressions a little earlier in the thread... short but replayable, more of a psychological creepy kind of game than scary -- think like Silent Hill in 2D. No controller support but the GamePad. I'd recommend it but be aware the price is a tad steep.

GulAtiCa

Since were talking about dev stuff. My demo of ZaciSa is in lotcheck again. Should find out if it passed or not today most likely. I'm optimistic it will, but we will see.

As far that solitaire game. I actually decided to change things up. Now making it more of a bundle of small games instead of just a Solitaire game. Calling it Kira's Clubhouse, will be kinda similar to the DS game Clubhouse games. Aiming for an early 2015 release with good bit of games, ranging from simple 1 player stuff like Solitaire/etc to more multiplayer games like Battleship and Checkers. Since now a bigger game in value, I am working with a few others, also with an artist to make it look good. Also planning on adding online multiplayer.

ZaciSa patch 2 is going well. Plan to have it done, most likely, by end of next week. Includes framerate improvements, 2 new maps (PING 1.5+ & BLOK DROP U maps), online leaderboards, and some new features.

I really want to start getting more games out in 2015. I have some ideas, already working on a 3rd game.

TheMoon

Man, I hear ya. I've had so much trouble with that bloody ball. Trying to find something that you can see regardless of the background has been a nightmare. Currently it is this:

XMfAVAs.png

Put on disco mode, make it glow/flash/invert color based on background/light up/produce a translucent trace line!

also

Banned

XMfAVAs.png

What bugs me the most is that white spot.

You have a lot of options:
-switching out the backgrounds that don't work (You probably really don't want that)
-changing the color of the ball depending on the level; if there's a pause between stages, this shouldn't be a problem.
-making the outline thicker and changing just it's color depending on the stage.

I can imagine how hard it must be to settle on the design. When playing games I take the basic building blocks for granted, but those are the hardest to nail.

jmizzal

Since were talking about dev stuff. My demo of ZaciSa is in lotcheck again. Should find out if it passed or not today most likely. I'm optimistic it will, but we will see.

As far that solitaire game. I actually decided to change things up. Now making it more of a bundle of small games instead of just a Solitaire game. Calling it Kira's Clubhouse, will be kinda similar to the DS game Clubhouse games. Aiming for an early 2015 release with good bit of games, ranging from simple 1 player stuff like Solitaire/etc to more multiplayer games like Battleship and Checkers. Since now a bigger game in value, I am working with a few others, also with an artist to make it look good. Also planning on adding online multiplayer.

ZaciSa patch 2 is going well. Plan to have it done, most likely, by end of next week. Includes framerate improvements, 2 new maps (PING 1.5+ & BLOK DROP U maps), online leaderboards, and some new features.

I really want to start getting more games out in 2015. I have some ideas, already working on a 3rd game.

Nice your thinking about adding online, I wasnt expecting that, would def make it more of a buy with online

Camjo-Z

As far that solitaire game. I actually decided to change things up. Now making it more of a bundle of small games instead of just a Solitaire game. Calling it Kira's Clubhouse, will be kinda similar to the DS game Clubhouse games. Aiming for an early 2015 release with good bit of games, ranging from simple 1 player stuff like Solitaire/etc to more multiplayer games like Battleship and Checkers. Since now a bigger game in value, I am working with a few others, also with an artist to make it look good. Also planning on adding online multiplayer..

Clubhouse Games-esque with online multiplayer? Sign me up!

steveovig

Just wanted to show that I've been making progress on my small Alleyway clone for the Wii U, which is currently called Break the World.

There are eight locations with three levels each, plus one or two secret levels. The two modes to play are Marathon, which is every level in order to obtain the highest score, and "Level Select" (temp), where you pick a world and the three levels loop, with blocks starting to slide down faster with each loop.

On top of that, there are three paddles to pick, each with a power. They begin a bit crap but the more you play with them, the more they level up. For example, at level 1 the red paddle fires one laser shot. At level 10 you get ten shots.

I'd love to get Leaderboards support in before I launch, but that depends on the availability of a certain plugin, so it might not happen. I'll definitely patch it once it's available, though. In the meantime, there is a screen showing full stats that you can post to Miiverse.

SERzJ15.jpg

Count me in for this. The Wii-U needs more Breakout clones. Hell, gaming, in general, does. It looks fun!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

SERzJ15.jpg

Seems like your title (aka this post) has already graced gonintendo. Was that expected?

jholmes

I definitely think this is the right move. I think there's a bigger market on the eShop now for high-value, low-priced games than the bare-bones bargain-bin games that keep showing up.

tebunker

Banned
Seems like your title (aka this post) has already graced gonintendo. Was that expected?

Hopefully they cleared that with Robin. For some reason if they didn't; it doesn't sit right with me. There's a difference between announcing something on websites, and sharing what you are working on with a community. Robin may not have wanted the greater gaming community to get this news from a Gaf post.

It also kind of bothers me that these sites troll Gaf for news. What do I know though.

terrisus

Looking great!

Oh wow. That would be amazing. I loved Clubhouse Games.

Please do as much of both online multiplayer and offline download play multiplayer as you can <3

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hopefully they cleared that with Robin. For some reason if they didn't; it doesn't sit right with me. There's a difference between announcing something on websites, and sharing what you are working on with a community. Robin may not have wanted the greater gaming community to get this news from a Gaf post.

It also kind of bothers me that these sites troll Gaf for news. What do I know though.

Well I do report things occasionally from GAF to gonintendo (like a lot of the Japanese reporting stuff that GAF folks have translated), but this is kind of weird. I honestly presume someone from GAF let Kevin from gonintendo know about this, because I don't think he has the time to dive into a giant topic like this (he may read headlines, but not dive into topics and find a single post imo).

TheMoon

This is publicly posted information. GN runs on tips and reposting other articles. Someone shared this publicly posted info about a Wii U game in development with GN, they posted it. What's the issue?

People tend to send RMC news, other than coverage of Nintendo Directs and the like, everything there is user-submitted. He's not claiming an exclusive reveal of the game or anything, he's simply posting news.

I don't think one should have to seek permission to post legitimate and verifiable news. I also sort of doubt that Robin minds. GoNintendo is probably one of the most well-known and most visited Nintendo news sites--I don't think anyone would complain about free promotion.

maxcriden

Hey man, I think we need to have a serious talk about this "Kira's Clubhouse" name. I mean, I'm glad you didn't try to give terrisus a coronary this time with the unusual capitalization, don't get me wrong ;) But I think there's gotta be a name out there that's a bit more user-friendly and marketable. I mean in this the best way.

terrisus

Hey man, I think we need to have a serious talk about this "Kira's Clubhouse" name. I mean, I'm glad you didn't try to give terrisus a coronary this time with the unusual capitalization, don't get me wrong ;)

<3

But I think there's gotta be a name out there that's a bit more user-friendly and marketable. I mean in this the best way.

I think it's alright.
But, maybe "Card Game Clubhouse" or something.

Hey man, I think we need to have a serious talk about this "Kira's Clubhouse" name. I mean, I'm glad you didn't try to give terrisus a coronary this time with the unusual capitalization, don't get me wrong ;) But I think there's gotta be a name out there that's a bit more user-friendly and marketable. I mean in this the best way.

I agree.

Colonel's Clubhouse

I'll gladly be the game's mascot.

SerTapTap

Liking Nightmare in Dreamland--art style isn't the best compared to the original, but it controls/feels a lot better. Needle is buffed too it feels like. Have to play it with an oversaturated color setting on the TV, wish Nintendo would fix the default color settings for VC.

Top Bottom