• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Learning what you can get away with as opposed to not knowing = easier.
Fair enough, but the levels themselves and the encounters can get more difficult.

Either way if you're able to make it through the med facility on hard you should be able to make it through the game.

Holy shit I made it. My chest hurts a bit, but the alien got a pipe bomb in the face right before I got into the vent. That section Suuucked.

Edit: just beat it. Man oh man this really is my GotY for 2014. Other then a few rough spots and a couple difficulty issues the art and sound are top notch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Holy shit I made it. My chest hurts a bit, but the alien got a pipe bomb in the face right before I got into the vent. That section Suuucked.

Edit: just beat it. Man oh man this really is my GotY for 2014. Other then a few rough spots and a couple difficulty issues the art and sound are top notch.

Yeah, when I finished the game I felt that it had a few issues that kept it from being GotY but after doing my second playthrough and upon reflection I feel it is deserving of that award.

Yeah, when I finished the game I felt that it had a few issues that kept it from being GotY but after doing my second playthrough and upon reflection I feel it is deserving of that award.

Yea if they are able to tweak the AI so it doesn't hover over you and will go actually investigate other things that would be great.

alright, after playing the hell out of this game, I'm going to mod this game. Going to try and see if I can solve the alien rubberbanding to the player problem and a few simple reskin mods.

The Safe Haven DLC is really really good. In fact almost all of survivor mode is really well done. Thought I would be taking a break but I keep coming back to do a run or just to enjoy the sights..I'm kinda hoping the last DLC is gonna be the surprise one and they give us the option to play as the alien..lol one can dream.

Also how would some of you react if for the possible sequal they add a mp component similar to evolve? Like 3v1?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. About 15ish hours.

What an amazing experience. Definitely the most memorable from last year. It ranked highly on my list, but if I had finished it earlier, it may have even taken number 1 from Dark Souls II.

The only thing I didn't like were the facehugger enemies. I felt like they were kind of cheap being arguably the most deadly enemies in the game. I also think the EMP grenades should have worked on the industrial Seegson androids. I never got a chance to use them much. I was a chronic saver, often going out of my way to run back and save after making a bit of progress when it made sense, so I never lost more than a few minutes if I got killed. The save system definitely added a lot of tension to the game, so I think it was the right decision.

Anyway, I had a blast. Not many other games are this engrossing. I'm definitely going to check out survivor mode and maybe some of the story DLC soon.

fcobento

Neo Member
So I got home yesterday... turned my X1 on to watch TV and there it was... the Alien Isolation icon.

I thought twice... no... three times before launching it. Mission 10
and I need to close the server's door to trap the damn alien.
One hour later and I was still trying to get to the damn door, all tensed up and afraid to even move.

This game is SOOOOOOO tense it completely fucks me up... and I love it/hate it.

Bumhead

Banned
How's the DLC for this game?

I was randomly browsing the store last night and saw the Safe Haven DLC. Reading the description.. it sounds amazing. The survival stuff sounds incredible. Anyone bought it and can recommend it?

I did it. I changed the didficulty from hard to novice. Crippling anxiety turned into tolerable level of tension and I could finally make some actual progress.

Untill I needed to take a break after an hour to cool my nerves.

This game is really one of the most memorable I have ever played.

Just finished the part inside the alien ship, the Derelict and now I think we need a full game like that. Scifi mystery first person adventure shutupandtakemycredits

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Finished it and got the achievement for beating it on the hardest difficulty setting even though I know there's one higher.

What a game. God damn!

I saw the credits roll and all I'm thinking about is that nightmare mode and how it's taunting me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just watched Aliens and I can definitely say this game draws a bit more from Aliens than people give it credit for. Yes, the base experience is very much Alien and it never goes away from that, but I do feel that the second half of the game is where Aliens influence starts to show more and more. The first 10 chapters are like 95% Alien, while the final 9 chapters are like half Aliens and half Aliens.

hypotc

Finished the game on hard difficulty this weekend, first play-through. The atmosphere is amazing, and I really loved it! Hopefully we'll get more like this.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy the book "Alien Vault: The Definitive Story Behind the Film" by Ian Nathan. I see there are two versions of it, and both are hardbacks.

Does anyone know what the differences are? One is more expensive than the other.

http://www.isbnsearch.org/isbn/9780760341124

http://www.isbnsearch.org/isbn/9781845136673

Help is greatly appreciated!

Can someone help me? I am downloading the game on XB1 and have started playing. First thing you need to do is get dressed. No doors open for me and all the hallways are see through and black. It looks completely glitches out. There's literally nowhere I can go. Is there something wrong with the game?

Can someone help me? I am downloading the game on XB1 and have started playing. First thing you need to do is get dressed. No doors open for me and all the hallways are see through and black. It looks completely glitches out. There's literally nowhere I can go. Is there something wrong with the game?

I might totally remember this wrong but aren't the clothes at the same room you wake up in?

I might totally remember this wrong but aren't the clothes at the same room you wake up in?
Nah get dressed is to the right. It's not that I don't know what to do, the game is mostly black. I watched a walkthrough for the first 2 mins and it seems my game isn't fully loaded yet? Even though it let's me play..

I guess I might have to wait until it hits 100% because the game doesn't look right to me.

Nah get dressed is to the right. It's not that I don't know what to do, the game is mostly black. I watched a walkthrough for the first 2 mins and it seems my game isn't fully loaded yet? Even though it let's me play..

I guess I might have to wait until it hits 100% because the game doesn't look right to me.

Oh I see, I misinterpretted your issue. Hope it gets fixed though!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
bought this game last night, put in about an hour. woke up at 6am and booted it up again.

the hunt begins...

This damn game keeps messing me up even when I am not actively playing.

Last I played was sunday, and I have since then waken two times from an Alien -inspired nightmare.

Will keep truckin' though, I'm nearing the end!

Started playing this recently and I'm about three hours into it and have just finished chapter 4. Only encountered the alien a few times so far, but I find those goddamn Average Joes so creepy. It's been really tense creeping around them; particularly in areas where there are several, and there was one fucker who was 'dead' on the floor and jumped up to strangle me as I was walking away, the c***.

The visuals are amazing and they've done such a great job of creating the feel and atmosphere of the Nostromo. It also has some of the best audio design I've ever heard. Really enjoying it so far.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Started playing this recently and I'm about three hours into it and have just finished chapter 4. Only encountered the alien a few times so far, but I find those goddamn Average Joes so creepy. It's been really tense creeping around them; particularly in areas where there are several, and there was one fucker who was 'dead' on the floor and jumped up to strangle me as I was walking away, the c***.

The visuals are amazing and they've done such a great job of creating the feel and atmosphere of the Nostromo. It also has some of the best audio design I've ever heard. Really enjoying it so far.

Wow. It only gets better (or worse for you the player) lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If anything, it probably means more Alien, or at least more from Creative Assembly. They keep reiterating that they want to refocus on PC and mobile.

There was nothing to indicate that anyone from Creative Assembly was let go.

Although, given the sales of the title I wouldn't be surprised if that happened though.

I'm about 8 or so hours in. The game has amazing music and atmosphere. I love how the music changes when danger is near.

My only issue is that it is so damn tense. Almost to the point that I can't relax and enjoy the Damn game because I can't really switch off my mind and chill. I'm almost intimidated to play it because I have to concentrate so much and every movement forward in the game is almost under duress.

strafer

I'm about 8 or so hours in. The game has amazing music and atmosphere. I love how the music changes when danger is near.

My only issue is that it is so damn tense. Almost to the point that I can't relax and enjoy the Damn game because I can't really switch off my mind and chill. I'm almost intimidated to play it because I have to concentrate so much and every movement forward in the game is almost under duress.

That was me the first time. The tension is crazy.

I had the same experience untill I changed from hard to novice difficulity. It made it so much more bearable. Though now I'm thinking of doing a second playthrough on hard after I finish this one as I have gotten more used to the game.

Does the new easy mode make this game more tolerable? I really enjoyed the look and feel of the game but when you waste 45 minutes replaying a scene because the alien has killed you 5 times and you've done what you can to avoid him, well, I kinda just want to experience this game without feeling incredibly annoyed by it.

Top Bottom