• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Welcome to Mangaf. We're here to discuss manga-related things. Please read the rules regarding spoilers.

The current two reading clubs:
wonzo December Reading Club
Antiwhippy's "Short but Sweet" Trade Read Club. Week 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Antiwhippy said:
Week 7
G-Maru Edition by Kawashita Mizuki
Sneewittchen - Geschichten nach Grimm by MOROHOSHI Daijirou
Ano Ko no Ie by KUMAZAWA Mikiko
Azumanga Daioh - Hoshuuhen by Azuma Kiyohiko
Koganeiro by YOKOTA Takuma

Z3nx9sG.jpg

The Suzuka Reading Club Survivors' Manga Picks (what a mouthful)
LWe58H0.jpg

5 Currently Popular Manga Reads + 5 of Eleuin's Choice OTS Banner Gen 1 | 2 | 3
J2lb.png

10 Most Regularly Read Sort-Of Smut Manga OTS SmutBanner will make a return in the future. Gen 1 | 2 | 3

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

1. Sort of guide to how you should post.
In bold, put the name of the series as the first line in your post. Then you can go ahead and discuss whatever is on your mind without tags, okay? Make sure there is a space between the bolded name of the series and your text. Here's an example:
Hunter X Hunter 505

It rules and I don't know why!

2. Regarding manga scanlations.
duckroll said:
This is the last time I am ever going to say this. I believe I have mentioned this before. Do not ever, ever direct link to illegal piracy shit. This includes manga releases, manga scanlations, sites and apps which provide such access, etc. STOP DOING IT. This thread is for the discussion of manga, not for the exchange and distribution of illegal material. Don't ask, don't tell. Future offenses will result in normal moderation consequences. Do not reply to this message, just move along. If you have a question, PM me.

So to repeat, DO NOT link to any manga scanlations websites or ask where to read manga.

If you post a panel or page, there should be no logo of any site on it.​

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled. Please bold the header of your post as shown in rule 1 to help other posters avoid spoilers.

If you understand the content of the chapter you wish to discuss has significant spoilers for the series and wish to discuss without spoiler tags, and the chapter is a fresh (within 1 day) release, please add some additional detail to the bolded chapter title to indicate as such. Example:
Prison School 666 SUPER SPOILERS

I don't know what I could possibly spoil.
Exercise good judgement about spoilers.

Again, no spoiler tags for text needed, that is the benefit of coming here.

Caveats:
Leaks do not count as translation or scans. If a translation has not been released yet, spoiler tag any leaks and discussion of the chapter. Leaks should be sourced (a name/location at least, if a link is not possible).

Regarding image spoilers: "Please do not embed major spoiler images, ever."

4. I don't know what manga to read. Can you guys help?
Obviously the best way is to ask in the thread so we can give you recommendations that fit your taste better, but if you don't want to do then there are two excellent threads to check out for a list of good manga. Some good advice: don't ask for recommendations late Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you are a shounenhead and want your manga filled with hot blooded action then read cosmicblizzard's nifty thread of awesome battle manga.

If you prefer seinen manga or non-mainstream manga then read flawfuls thread of awesome lesser known manga.

If you want fluffy romance manga, NeoSoma has a chart of sweet and/or fluffy romance manga from /a/.

Other possibilities collected from this thread and link to a list of recommendations/impressions will be found in the second post below.​

Reading manga on tablets.
If you are looking for manga-reading tech on tablets, Jintor suggests Mango and suko_32 has more details on his tablet setup.

The Nicknames List
Sometimes people talk about series with a pet nickname and thereby render themselves completely incomprehensible. Therefore, we have a handy list here that might help with 1) translating the banners above and 2) translating our local maniacs' jargon.
  1. A Town Where You _____ = Kimi no Iru Machi
  2. Aunt Tits = Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  3. Dogsuit Smut = Kanojo wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
  4. Food Smut = Shokugeki no Soma
  5. Kingdom Hearts = Nisekoi
  6. KNIM = Kimi no Iru Machi
  7. Not Popular = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!
  8. Rage Town = Kimi no Iru Machi
  9. Smutterfly Effect = Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite (yep)
  10. Super Interesting Darkness = To Love RU Darkness
  11. Swagamoto (or Swagmoto) = Sakamoto desu ga
  12. Wahjah Moe = It's not my fault that I'm not popular!

Other cool and relevant material
~ Manga Thread IRC ~ wonzo: Welp, went ahead and made a manga irc channel at #MangaGAF @ irc.rizon.net More info here.
Link to our resident Pixel King Neoriceisgood's full set of 100 manga/anime avatars
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Jump covers
bigkrev commentary and criticism of digital manga in the west.
Akito's gallery of all the Weekly Shounen Sunday covers
Mockingbird and Fancy Poster GAF fancy poster if you want it.
upandaway suggests a method for picking up new manga.
NeoSoma's One Page to Hook You In thread

H00bT7x.jpg

The Strange Pile
duckroll wildly guesses Magi will end by Chapter 230 which he got wrong
Meet our resident coward Wiseblade
I didn't know Obama's email so I sent it to amazon instead. upandaway's brain fart.
Twitter party
echothreealpha making 20 dollar bet on Naruto. still pending
BassForever collects your Friend Codes in one place; invade his house in Animal Crossing for revenge.
Crimsonlink organizes more Friend Codes into lists.
Kuritabot courtesy of AlabastreAizo
Hunter x Hunter Betting Pool (Eleuin wins!)
Complete your manga look with Loreal
AlabastreAizo losing his mind in Krev to iu Uragirimonome no Monogatari.

Previous Threads
OT1
OT2
OT3
OT4 SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES
OT5 We Post on Wednesdays
OT6 Hot blooded smut!
OT7 This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.
OTL Not a lick of constructive conversation here
OTZ Reading Shounen Garbage > Watching Moe Garbage
OTX Attack on Titles
OTE Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell
OTP The Salt Smut Only Knows
OT13 Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

WALL OF SHAME FOR OT13
ZTfh5QR.jpg

Title courtesy of Eleuin (lol), who won the Hiatus x Hiatus bet right on the dot.
The S is for Suzuka, and no credit to Zweizer at all.

Past reading clubs in this thread:
PhillipCostigan's Suzuka Book Club of Shame
Dresden's Wash the Suzuka Out of Your Eyes Club
Akito's Touch-y Reading Club.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though). Most recent at top. Links to previous recommendations at bottom.

1. Ask yourself this question: would you join a PMC fresh out of college for $500,000? For Marginal Operation. From Furyous. (imp)
  2. Stories about a royal and a little girl traveling in search of phantom books. For Dantalian no Shoka Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  3. Lovely art. The story bounce between young adults love life and medical science along with its implication. For Omoidedama 01. From Usobuko. (imp)
  4. wonzo brings the wise words of Hiroki Endo (All-Rounder Meguru) post-earthquake.
  5. Lain reading a variety of non-mainstream manga.
  6. Well, this was an interesting read. It's a story about 3 students and their teacher trying to cope with a distressing situation at school. For Gakkou Gurashi!. From VanillaCakeIsBurning. (rev)
  7. The really technical way he draws the fights makes them a hell of a lot more interesting to watch and easier to follow compared to most other "fighting" series I've read. For All-Rounder Meguru. From wonzo. (imp)
  8. Nice humor, the art and action's pretty nice. This oneshot has potential to become a full series. For Tiger Dragon Brothers. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  9. I enjoy the premise of a fantasy world where people are ranked by a uniquely arbitrary number and think it has potential, but everything else seems pretty by the books. Naive female lead, and a bumbling perverted male lead who has a secret past. As expected of the author of Sora no Otoshimono, I suppose. For Plunderer 01. From ThatChairMan.
  10. It was silly, a nice concept and looking forward to seeing how the protag wins all the pretty boys over. For Shichifuku Mafia. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  11. Thankfully, the end it's pretty good and and pretty satisfactory, so it's something that I would recommend if you're looking for something romantic with some amount of sexiness. For Hetakoi. From Marche90. (rev)
  12. There are some things it's worth trying to kill your lover over. This is one of them. For Chijou 10 Meter no Ori kara. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  13. What I did get was like a combination of Bambino! + Punpun, a rather depressing tale of an introverted guy who has terrible luck with people. For Kokou no Hito. From Usobuko. (imp)
  14. I wonder if Rohan is a popular character in Japan, he seems to have a lot of side stories. He's definitely one of my favorite JoJo characters. For Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan. From MetroidPrimeRib. (rev)
  15. _hekk05 says: I'm dropping it cus I get the heeby jeebys For Boy Skirt 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  16. This is a collection of short stories, and I don't think it really has a name, so I'll just do each one separate. From MetroidPrimeRib.
  17. Really this is just an excuse for Araki to draw more fashion shit. For Jolyne, Fly High with GUCCI. From MetroidPrimeRib. (uh)
  18. Pretty interesting. Cool twist makes me want to keep reading here. For Mahou Tsukai no Deshi ga Warau 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  19. The story telling, however, is to my liking. For Twisted. From Usobuko. (rev)
  20. I'm loving this manga so hard, are there any others that are like this? It oozes of goodness. For Ore Monogatari 01. From BakedYams. (imp)
  21. The daunting length of this makes it an emotionally draining mountain of sorts. For Kokou no Hito. From wonzo. (imp)
  22. The first thing I noticed is how the story starts well and fast. The pacing is good, there is no feeling of wasted time. For Kingdom. From Lain. (imp)
  23. I said i liked this but i really really enjoyed... so much so that i got bombed out it was about to end... For Midnight Secretary. From hipbabboom. (rev)
  24. There's few things more tragic than a clown, turns out being a former trapeze artist dealing with the death of his brother and layers of sexual abuse in a skeevy circus is one of them. For Copernicus no Kokyuu. From wonzo.
  25. wonzo singing praises for art in The Music of Marie.
  26. A really nice father and son series. For Working Holiday. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  27. The Vol was an enjoyable read, just loved everything. I can't wait to read more. For D-Gray Man Vol 1. From AquaWateria. (wall of text)
  28. Way more interesting than I would have given it credit for before buying it. For X-Gene Vol 1. From Lain. (imp)
  29. exploring the myriad of lewd poses while rock-climbing For Noboru Kotera-san. From _hekk05. (imp)
  30. A twist on the summoned to magical world stories. The tease forward was interesting so sure why not. For Konjiki no Word Master - Yuusha Yonin ni Makikomareta Unique Cheat 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  31. BakedYams asks for mature romance; Zweizer obliges.
  32. His interactions are great and it's pretty damn cool how much expression you get from a character that barely speaks. For Gangsta. Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  33. Oh man! This gave me the peace of mind I needed from reading toxic rage educing mangas. If anyone needs healing, I strongly recommend this manga. For My Girl (by Sahara Mizu). From hipbabbom.
  34. Takeo-chan is super duper unlucky. She now lives in an apartment that is filled with youkai. For Takeo-chan Bukkairoku 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  35. About a loli magician who mistakes a captain obsessed with his home (lit castle, but that doesn't look like one) to be an evil god For It's My Life. From _hekk05. (imp)
    Interesting manga with some really cool monster designs. Doesn't hurt that it has the most bad-ass 11 year old girl in a manga ever. For Otogi Matsuri. From 8 x 11 Printer Paper.
  36. Seems to be mostly about a mystery a week, but the characters are fine and the mysteries aren't bad either. For Mou I-yo. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  37. A super duper loner discovers that time stands still for him at times. For Trauma Ryoushi Kesshou. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  38. a.k.a what if highschool baseball manager read Peter Drucker management book. For Moshidora. From striferser. (rev)
  39. AlabastreAizo asks for "imaginative, character-centric dramas that look societal issues"; Zweizer answers.
  40. Pirates, pretty boys, unlucky kid, magical powers, woo! For Tramp. 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  41. Yet another masterpiece by Shintarovsky Kagome in which he accurately divulges some of the USSR's best kept secrets... For Dance! Kremlin Palace. From wonzo. (...)
  42. Adolescence is an awkward thing. For Flowers of Evil. From BakedYams. (rev)
  43. Still as enjoyable as the anime was. Also super impressed that Yen Press printed this in a bigger format than usual. For Barakamon Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  44. It's probably even worse since not even death spares their mortal remains. For A Dairy Cow's Life. From Lain. (er)
  45. I still think their best moments are when they are not mature and free to be themselves. For Love at Fourteen Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  46. The writing and situational depiction from panel to panel speaks on multiple levels. For Ciguatera. From hipbabboom. (imp)
  47. A true masterpiece on just what it means to be a mascot. For Noramimi. From wonzo. (rev)
  48. Overall, great read. Lots of laugh out loud moments with the club. For Sundome. From nicoga3000. (rev)
  49. Dunno why, but I really like the scenes of Hibari and Kousaku just casually chilling. For Stop!! Hibari-kun. From Busaiku. (imp)
  50. Pretty great read so far, with generally well-balanced characters who form a varied cast overall, a gripping premise and gorgeous sceneries of the new, hostile world. For 7 Seeds. From Zweizer. (imp)
  51. Really good manga, all of you should read it. For Boku no Kotori-san. From BakedYams.
  52. IN THE END IT WAS FOR NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING Well, I do recommend this. Its certainly better than Fate/Stay Night, so yeah. For Shingetsutan Tsukihime. From Sir Blaming. (rec...?)
  53. But damn, what an emotional mess of a manga. Fantastic. For Nozoki Ana. From nicoga3000. (rev)
  54. Solid compilation of short to very-short stories, with a nice feeling of surreal humor and good use of imagination. For Terrarium in a Drawer. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  55. yeah this good so far tho it could use some more smut For Majikoi. From wonzo.
  56. titles p. self explanatiory. decent web thing For Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure. From wonzo.
  57. More Mitsukazu Mihara, and the most enjoyable thing I've read from her so far. For Haunted House. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  58. read something good instead nerds For Ashizuri Suizokukan. From wonzo. (imp) Additional comments from survivor.
  59. It was called BLAZING NINJAMAN so I kind of had to read it. For Blazing Ninjaman. From MetroidPrimeRib. (imp)
  60. It didn't really surprise me at any point, but it was certainly entertaining the entire way through. For Yumeiro Patissiere. From ThatChairMan. (rev)
  61. I wanted to check out more of her work because I enjoy the gothic ambiance of her stories, which feel targeted beyond their shoujo / josei demographics. For Short story collections / one-shots by Mitsukazu Mihara. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  62. Kind of a fun read. TOTALLY different feel from Velvet Kiss. I prefer the slightly more serious romance to the more, what's the best word...Silly romance? Still enjoying it, though! For Boku Girl. From nicoga3000.
  63. The first involving a sadistic princess who builds up her own hell and the second involving a bunch of bizarre stories that are somewhat intertwined by the end. For Korokoro Soushi. From wonzo. (imp)
  64. A Huge Battleship makes a list of his manga of 2014 (warning, it's A Huge Battleship).
  65. Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is a good series through and through and fully entertained me through every twist and turn it went through. For Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. From Revo. (rev)
  66. As gender-bender stories go, this feels pretty nice despite some cliche and inconsistencies. For Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken. From Lain. (imp)
  67. The art is pretty damn impressive. For Benten Rock You 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  68. This might be Mizuki Kawashita's favorite work herself because it feels like I'm reading an extension of her in this manga. For G-Maru Edition. From Usobuko. (rev)
  69. Enjoyable enough for me, but someone who found the story more engaging would get more out of it. For Green Blood. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  70. Your regular protagonist is attacked by onis and helped out by rabbits. I liked it. Typical shounen like stuff but good energy, the protag isn't terrible and rabbit transformations! For Battle Rabbits. From dakkumauji.
  71. The art's more appealing than the story. For 7th Garden 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  72. They both seem interesting and has good potential for growth, so looking forward to seeing where this series ends up going. For Pokemon X and Y Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  73. In any case, a good compilation. For From Tokyo to Another Universe. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  74. Two friends reunite after 8 years since one stole the girlfriend of the other. For Owaranai Fukou ni Tsuite no Hanashi. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  75. This was bad for my heart, but good for my soul. For Ms. Mayple's Afternoon Tea Time. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  76. It's about a detective heroine who tracks the MC down after he beats her at an online murder mystery game, to have him investigate the truth behind his father's 'suicide'. For Tsukimizuki Rikai no Tantei Satsujin 01. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  77. This was a really interesting martial arts manga that had me early on and kept me wanting to get to the next chapter. For Holyland. From hipbabboom. (rev)
  78. Figures I write something about Kindaichi Case Files for anyone with a passing interest. From Usobuko.
  79. A traumatising story about a 34 year old woman who decides to... g-give up her hobby of wearing gothloli. For Complex Age. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  80. A nice short, sweet light-romance -- recommended. For Itoshi no Karin. From Mockingbird. (rec)
  81. Everything about this manga hits a homerun thus-far. For Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. From Big One. (rec)
  82. The story of a regular guy as he encounters a group of NEET detectives as they solve weird cases. For Kamisama no Memochou Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  83. wonzo: Did some catching up on things but here’s the stuff worth talking about [some unique mango].
  84. Moto Hagio is pretty good in illustrating unusual, psychological story. For Iguana Girl. From Usobuko.
  85. It's a manga about different types of mermaids living in a school together with humans. For Shinkaigyo no Anko-san. From MetroidPrimeRib. (imp)
  86. Take your famous heroes, warriors, generals, etc throw them into a fantasy world and have them at it. For Drifters Vol 1. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  87. My preference would have been if the story stuck to a more dry history lesson type of narrative rather than some silly time travelling love story. For Thermae Romae. From survivor. (rev)
  88. It was an enjoyable rendition of the gothic shoujo atmosphere. For R.I.P.. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  89. I going to pretend the last volume of The World Is Mine doesn't exist. I think I would rate it higher as an incomplete work than what I just read. For The World is Mine. From Usobuko. (rev)
  90. Second batch of recommendations from OTS.
  91. First batch of recommendations from OTS.
  92. Recommendations from OT13.
  93. Recommendations from OTP.
  94. Recommendations from OTE.
  95. Recommendations from OTX.
  96. Recommendations from OTZ.
  97. Recommendations from OTL.

mjontrix

Didn't someone correctly get the right number of days before hiatusxhiatus?

So there's going to be a new image or something?

EDIT - I see now... skimmed to much!

bjork

Koe no Katachi great.

That Ubosan or whatever you guys mentioned, where the lady is a lazy housewife with big jugs, not so much.

Still waiting for the manga to dethrone Crows as the champion of all time.

dani_dc

Suzuka, Koe No Katachi and Emanon on the banner, I aprove.

Seo getting one manga in each banner too! Great job manga gaf!

I'm guessing HxH is a choice of Eleuin since you can't read something that's not currently running.

Zweizer

Banned
Suzuka, Koe No Katachi and Emanon on the banner, I aprove.

Seo getting one manga in each banner too! Great job manga gaf!

I'm guessing HxH is a choice of Eleuin since you can't read something that's not currently running.

The 5 on the top row are Eleuin's choices.

I wonder how much AquaWateria bribed for putting Tokyo Ghoul there.

upandaway

This manga is literally girls upon girls stuffing their mouths with mesmerizing food in the lewdest ways they can manage.

It's the antithesis to Soma. Where Soma is about the lewd after the eating, this is about the lewd during the eating. I'm kinda blown away not gonna lie.

They even pull The Icecream™ in the first dang volume, and it's during a hot bath. Please.

Zweizer

Banned
I dont' think AquaWateria will be too happy when people end up reading this instead. He might just ask for a refund.

Haha that'd be an hilarious twist.

This manga is literally girls upon girls stuffing their mouths with mesmerizing food in the lewdest ways they can manage.

It's the antithesis to Soma. Where Soma is about the lewd after the eating, this is about the lewd during the eating. I'm kinda blown away not gonna lie.

They even pull The Icecream™ in the first dang volume, and it's during a hot bath. Please.

You're making my mouth water.

Curse the lack of translations!

Revo

So the anime is butchered in what way? Damn, I prefer animes, but if they are infested with fillers, censored and badly animated I'll go for the manga.

I didn't watch it, but what I heard they butcher the end of an arc to end it. I remember hearing really laughable things about the ending episodes. I think I've heard it's badly animated as well (at least part of it).

uh huh, tell me more...

Peco

sweat0ia12.png

kasane

Oh yeah i read a shitty manga about teen pregnancy but it was so shitty

now if i can find the name somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom