• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Seanspeed

Banned
I used to say no, but since I've switched to pc as my main gaming platform for a couple of months, I definitely seem to see the difference. Maybe just psychological because I always have FRAPS on to monitor the frame-rate, or I actually can see the difference. I'm inclined to think the latter.
It is definitely the latter. Your standards are higher now.

Anteater

8kGcsm9.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The 60 FPS parts are very smooth, the 30 FPS parts are very choppy and almost feel like they play in slow motion in comparison.

30/60 switching back and forth.

You can't see how smooth it is during the 60 fps portion?

I got a 5/11 on the link. Can't really tell a difference. I could tell a difference on the Helicopter blades spinning faster. That in no way affects the game. Okay so I see 2 extra rotations. It doesn't improve the game. In the FPS video the guy is jumping around and then slows down. I can't tell if that is movement speed or FPS. I honestly don't see any difference that improves the video for me.

Kilau

Gold Member
11/11

Very obvious when they are next to each other.

I will say that Mordor's 30FPS and motion blur fooled me into thinking it was higher.

Pillville

Side note:
You can't click an answer if the video is paused, it has to be playing. (that took me a while to figure out)

-MD-

I got a 5/11 on the link. Can't really tell a difference. I could tell a difference on the Helicopter blades spinning faster. That in no way affects the game. Okay so I see 2 extra rotations. It doesn't improve the game. In the FPS video the guy is jumping around and then slows down. I can't tell if that is movement speed or FPS. I honestly don't see any difference that improves the video for me.

It not only looks completely different but it feels completely different.

When they're side by side the 30fps videos look like they're stuttering rapidly.

Yes i can easily make the difference between 30 and 60fps.

There are some games that really feel smooth in 30fps though, like Forza Horizon 2, Motorstorm and Driveclub seems to be that way too, but the majority don't.

Guinness

Neo Member
Got 7/11. Sometimes obvious, sometimes not.

30fps, 60fps, 120fps4D : I really don't care if it is locked. Back then I used to play N64 games with atrocious 15fps, so solid 30fps is good enough.

11/11

I could even tell without having them side by side. Someone should make a test page like that. Have 1 video and the answers are 30 or 60.

11/11

Was easycake.

Insome games (Arma, that flying jet game and ninjaturtles) it wasn't that much of a difference to me.
But damn, in racing games, it's like night and day!

Wish there would be some testing 60hz (fps) vs 120/144hz (120+fps) to decide wheter it's worth paying 250 bucks for a new monitor

hagege_s

Banned
The 60 FPS parts are very smooth, the 30 FPS parts are very choppy and almost feel like they play in slow motion in comparison.

That's the important part. If you just have something in 30 fps and not the 60 fps version, it's fine. But if you do see the 60 fps version, then the 30 fps one looks soooo bad.

So what can some people do to fix their eyes? Is it really possible for people not to see the difference? Not caring about it is a different matter, but not seeing it at all is....shocking.

11/11, though I definitely had trouble with some (like Race The Sun).

If it's a game I played though, it was almost instant (Portal, Fallout, etc).

I can't visually see the difference. But when playing a game I can feel it through input and animations. When people post comparison gifs I can't spot any difference :S

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
How it goes from being buttery smooth one second to being this jerky mess the next then back again.

Not that playing games locked at 30 is that jarring, since you adapt to it over time, but when compared like that, 30 is pretty bad.

Yea, I literally see no difference. Looks the same. Stationary objects are stationary. The guys movement speed changes, but that doesn't seem to be related to the FPS, more running/jumping to not running.

Ishan

I can tell it and im super particular about it for things like cs. otherwise I don't care. Also I think I notice it more when I focus like I do in cs. If its something like say uncharted where im just dicking around I probably wouldn't notice as much.

gelf

9/11 and a couple I got right where complete guesses. A few of the 30fps ones where obviously more choppy others not so much.

None of the 30fps look unplayable either.

These tests are always a bit of a hit and miss. Some of them are real obvious, and all of them can be identified if you look closely. But if I had camera control, or it was full screen I can detect the difference immediately 100% of the time. Two small windows on my monitor doesn't give me the same confidence.

jem0208

Haven't done the test however I think it depends on the game and whether or not it was designed with 30fps in mind.

If you take a game designed to be played at 60 and then cut that in half of course you're going to feel a difference. However games which are meant to be played at 30 generally feel fine. Take Horizon 2 for example, it's at 30 and the racing feels just as good as on Forza 5. The sense of speed is incredible.

The Halo series also feels very smooth even though it is 30.

Mithos

9/11

But test is flawed test, I will never have the same game running on 2 displays next to each other where one is running 30 and the other 60.

In a blind test walking in to a room, and stating that game run in 30fps or 60fps I'd have a 50-50 chance of getting it right.

Your Score:11/11

Easy to spot at a glance. Much silky, such smooth. I'm ok with 30fps, but 60 is always a nice surprise. It usually gives me an "I'm at the arcade!" kind of vibe.

Izuna

Banned
Haven't done the test however I think it depends on the game and whether or not it was designed with 30fps in mind.

If you take a game designed to be played at 60 and then cut that in half of course you're going to feel a difference. However games which are meant to be played at 30 generally feel fine. Take Horizon 2 for example, it's at 30 and the racing feels just as good as on Forza 5. The sense of speed is incredible.

The Halo series also feels very smooth even though it is 30.

Well....

Honestly no matter how much I play 30fps it never stops being noticeable to me, and I can go really long sessions on certain games. 30fps isn't a deal breaker at all for me, but 60 is always better and I wish devs never went below that.

TheHall

8/11

none of the 30 fps ones seemed like a 'Unplayable slideshow" to me though.

Some are a bit smoother, but others felt sped up to an uncomfortable level.

Ricky_R

Come on now... If you don't see the difference in these there's something wrong with you. I can understand not noticing the differences immediately in some instances, but looking at it a couple of seconds is enough.

I took a couple of seconds longer with the helicopter, urban trials and the last one. The rest I noticed 1-2 seconds in.

11/11 btw.

DTurkin

Barely, and I have to pay a lot of attention to things I usually don't care about.

That was an interesting test.

Top Bottom