• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Metroid Prime: Hunters thread

koam

metroid_packboxart_160w.jpg

Title: Metroid Prime: Hunters
Console: Nintendo DS
Release date: March 20, 2006 (US/CAN), May 5, 2006 (Europe)
Retail Price: $34.99US/ $39.99CND (at Zellers)
Special Bundle in Canada: DS + MP:H + WiFi USB adapter = $199.99
4-player Online enabled (voice chat in lobby)

If you guys have any good deals for the game, please let me know and I'll edit them in.

The story takes place between Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (spoiler tagged the basic premise just in case)

The Galactic Federation has advised Samus to investigate the appearance of certain artifacts called Octoliths left behind by an ancient civilization. These artifacts are spread throughout the galaxy in five different space locales, which you're able to freely travel between via your ship.

Reviews:
Gamepro: 4.5 / 5.0
IGN: 9.0 / 10

GAF Friend Codes

Koam: 0430 1723 2828
Juice: 0816 7193 7154
Cold-Steel (Catalyst): 4939 8880 1804
Main Event: 1890 4611 8065
studio810: 0387 2226 0639
Xris: 5369 3845 4373
Koopakiller: 0473 1218 5132
BuddyC: 1117 3668 0313
Captain N: 0516 0714 2643
PhoenixDark: 5154 6361 9100
ant1532 (Antpod): 2448 8068 0780
Cerrius: 0430 1722 2162
OniLink666 (AL): 1117 3670 1253
Error2k4: 1117 3670 2877
The Eatable Arab (arab): 4166 7937 8163
underfooter (Hatch): 3694 3472 6020
John Harker (Harker): 3221 9004 2401
Mejilan: 0945 5678 2571
crankypants: 1632 7611 0534
NintendoGal: 0730 8161 1700
sammy: 1203 2631 3922
cheebs: 0988 5180 1210
ksinghsf: 5025 7874 2878
blahness: 4982 8396 6506
Dbish: 3050 1022 2833
jonstamps: 4768 0893 9675
JasoNsider: 1847 5116 6930
krypt0nian: 2405 8571 9727
xir: 5068 7371 3013
clearacell: 5455 2842 3637
elostyle (elods): 0000 6753 4801
Sugarman: 0730 8201 9908
MrCheez (Mudora):5025 7873 9426
Akia: 5283 4855 6072
PhunkFury (PkFury): 2964 2032 5119
Tumalu: 3522 5489 5367
DavidDayton: 2921 2535 6145
Tiger: 4510 3912 0043
gameboya: 1890 4611 1764
civilstrife: 4123 8447 2718
dream (Pseudo): 3651 3979 8483
SpeedRazor: 1160 3171 2775
Gorgie: 0559 0220 4657
ProbationSmack (m c gramar): 3393 7004 5012
PezRadar: 3264 8513 7093
datruth: 0773 7704 8314
Grim: 0859 6697 4235
Darkmire: 1332 1162 9217
Daze: 3737 2981 4854
Beezy: 3651 3986 7391
Flynn: 4939 8877 7503
Archie: 1890 4625 4436
DarthWufei: 2362 9083 5411
Method: 3050 1025 7792
Siege: 4166 7955 4604
[Nintex]: 1976-3616-1979
evilromero: 4037 9448 9266
Fuzzy (IAMFuzzy): 1847 5133 1466
Shamrock7r: 4768 0911 7351
AdmiralViscen: 3136 0036 6341
BorkBork (Starman Jr): 4768 0901 0868
superfly: 4467 4437 4409
thaivo (Ashita): 1761 6121 0538
zink120: 1632 7644 5785
Lost Fragment: 2277 0084 0031
metropolis: 4338 5937 5570
vesuvious: 0387 2225 5186
Nykad: 4123 8440 4937
OB1: 0559 0242 6526
Kai: 0301 3254 6338
Alexander: 2835 3539 0956
Shalomi (Ex Machina): 5412 3351 9635
borkbork: 4768 0901 0868

Also, make sure to add your name to demi's list:
http://frostitution.net/wifi/mphunters/index.php

Here is some info on all the characters. Comes from this thread:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=123798

SAMUS

Description- Samus in her suit, very toned down with limited wi-fi capabilities. She has a more powerful charge shot than other players, it's her main weapon. Does 50 damage while others' do 30.

How to use- Try to jump around and avoid getting hit. Charging shots of any kind and firing them is an excellent strategy.
How to beat- Listen for the shot charging, they're more powerful and thus hurt a LOT if you get hit. You should snipe her or use the special weapon your character has. Your alt form rarely will work on Samus if the player is skilled. He/she will jump up and launch a charged shot at you everytime you get close. A head-on frontal attack can work if you have better aim, but use your own character's special skill to your advantage.

ALT-FORM: MORPH BALL
How to use- Go at your opponent and lay bombs all around, you're bound to hit very often no matter what.
How to beat- Try not to get in close. Keep distance away and avoid any bombs that have just been layed, they build up and your HP does not. Use charged shots more sparingly. Using your own ALT will make things easier as well if you can be strategic with it.

Unique BIPED form qualities-
Samus's Missles, when fully charged, are homing. Hitting her shoulder spheres means a headshot. Begins with affinity weapon, gets 5 missles when she gets a black orb. A charged shot with the power beam does 50 damage compared to the other players' 30's.

KANDEN

Description- A guy with certain abilities that anger newcomers and is sometimes abused.

How to use- Get your special gun (the black orb) and some ammo. It's a very quick powerful gun, use it on enemies in fairly close range. Also charge it and watch it do massive damage to the slow people.
How to beat- Use your own special weapon against him. Jumping around and being unpredictable is very helpful since his ammo runs out quickly. If you see a big orb coming towards you, switch to alt and get out of there, or don't switch to alt. The main idea is get a wall between you and the ball. Watch your health meter and don't stop firing.

ALT-FORM: STINGLARVA
How to use- Circle your foes and when they are behind you, press L and drop the homing bombs. Newcomers sometimes consider this cheap if you abuse it. You should switch to this mode when you are out of ammo or if you are being sniped and headshots are coming often.
How to beat- The bombs that are released can be very annoying, you should jump and avoid the main blasts, but if you can get on a small ledge and fire from there, you will be same from the bombs. They only hurt you on the ground. The regular power beam usually works if you can jump and fire your charged shots at Kanden.

When you charge a shot with the Volt Driver (affinity weapon) and fire it, it will go for the opponent slowly and skew the view of your opponent temporarily if it hits.

SPIRE

Description- A rather large character that can be a bigger target, yet harder for headshots at times.

How to use- Be careful in close combat, size matters and this means human players see you as an easy kill. You should charge your special gun shots that explode on impact and shoot them at a crowd or carefully aim at opponents. Switching between ALT and BIPED (shooting state) is crucial here, get into a good position to ambush opponents with higher health than what they have.
How to beat- Charged shots are excellent, he's large and an easier target in some cases. Use your special gun against him whenever you can. The shock coil is great because it's easier to hold it on him.

ALT-FORM: DIALANCHE
How to use- Climb up walls to get in good positions and ambush opponents or get items.. *When you go into the ALT form, you create a massive attack very close to you that will harm others near you. This is very good against those that use their ALT forms as the major offensive. Chasing opponents with the L button pressed rapidly is good strategy.
How to beat- The ALT form is slow, so jumping up and firing charged shots when he's attacking you will work usually. Sniping Spire at this form works very well since the ALT form is a rather large target as well. Get on a small ledge or anything higher than he is at, his attack is only for his ground level and you can destroy him if he can't hit you.

Spire doesn't take damage when standing in lava. When you get the Magmaul (affinity weapon for Spire) and fire it when completely charged, the opponent will burn temporarily and take damage if it hits.. It makes some noise on the other end, the human may panic a little. The shot makes an explosion in Spire's possession. When Spire is shot in the shoulder spheres, that shot is considered a headshot.

TRACE

Description- A thin hunter with with many abilities that have made him one of the favorites. Very hard to unlock on wi-fi, which sways the vote on nintendowifi.com.

How to use- Get on a high ledge when you have your special weapon. *If you hold still for a short period of time, you will become invisible to other players top screen. NOT bottom however, and be aware of this. Ambush opponents FIRST chance you get, because they will catch you if you don't. You may like to snipe players, you should get on a top ledge so you have a better chance for a head shot. When you have your special gun, get up and you can press R to zoom in and out. Aim for the heads, if you hit, these shots are one-hit kills. When you need more ammo or are afraid someone else may aim to headshot you as Trace, switch to ALT form.
How to beat- Watch your radar carefully if you know the player with Trace is using the cloak technique. When you know that Trace is going to snipe you, or at least try to get a head shot, turn into your ALT to avoid a one-hit death. appear up at him and just do your best to kill him, or know where he is and avoid him while killing the other players.

ALT-FORM: TRISKELION
How to use- Switch into this when not sniping or if you need more ammunition. You can press L to do 50 points of damage right to a player without haste. It's a good speed boost if you're running from someone's fire or need to get a health orb first. Attack, then when behind, instantly attack again for best results. Foes get confused and resort to jumping. Time your hits to kill and don't allow your opponents to get any health orbs. Take them first!
How to beat- Jump and fire charged shots if you can. Your special weapon does not always work. Shock coil is not useful here, but the power beam can be helpful. You should get to higher ground that will not be easy to get to for him. He may cloak, so watch your touch screen if you haven't seen him for a while, he's the red dot if you didn't know.

Trace turns invisible when he has the Imperialist out, or in his alt form. He has no armor, and takes more damage than other players from the same attacks. Trace is not the only one that can zoom in with the Imperialist, but the Imperialist is his affinity weapon.

NOXUS

Description- An ice themed hunter with strengths to match.

How to use- Get your special gun and charge it. Get in close to an enemy and release it. Then fire at the head for better damage OR if you're quick, switch guns and hit in the head with that. Keep an eye on your ammunition. Your ammo runs out quickly if you freeze your opponents often. The regular shot of your special gun bounces off of walls, so if it misses on the first shot, you still have a chance to hit an opponent with that shot.
How to beat- stand clear when you hear he's charged, and don't get in to close because if he freezes you, anyone with a powerful gun will come in and headshot you for a kill. You avoid his freeze by jumping and running, and you should be all right. Use your guns against him, his is slow.

ALT-FORM: VHOSCYTHE
How to use- Hold L when and watch the blade get bigger and more deadly. Hit your foes with it whenever you can, but it takes a second to reach full power. Use when you want ammo or escaping headshots. This is also good for people with slow guns if you can get in close. Don't forget, when you hit, it makes a sound and you must press L again to bring out the scythe.
How to beat- Get to higher ground, then hit him hard. He can't hurt you severely and quickly, but it does damage if he hits you. Jump and get to a ledge. He will switch to BIPED when he realizes he can't hurt you anymore, then hit him with everything you have.

Noxus's affinity weapon is the Judicator. If you charge it fully, you can freeze nearby enemies while other characters simply fire three shots at once.

SYLUX

Description- An electricity based hunter with HP absorbing abilities.

How to use- Get your special gun. Use it on opponents when they are in BIPED form. It saps health, so you can stay put and take your foes' hits and still survive, but headshots with the imperialist gun (Trace's special gun, red line type gun) will still murder you. It's not very useful from far away or on players in ALT form, but you can always switch if it's not working for you. The Shock Coil isn't good for just pressing L quick, you need to hold it and lock onto your opponent and follow his tracks. If you get about 1 1/2 seconds of pure damage, the sapping and damage increases by over 2 times! Ammunition is important.
How to beat- Occasionally get walls between you and him to stop the shock's extreme part. Your ALT form is very useful against him, he rarely can keep a shock on you long enough to get close to killing you. Jump around and get in close.

ALT-FORM: LOCKJAW
How to use- Set one or two as a trap for hunters to get hurt by. Set three in a triangle with a hunter in the middle and you'll usually kill that hunter. Very powerful.
How to beat- Jump and run when you see him trying to trap you. If you know this is a newb Sylux, you will usually be safe. New people think that by running around and pressing L a lot will hurt you because there is an explosion. This is not true at all. Get on a ledge and shoot with your power beam, it's fast and doesn't run out.

Sylux absorbs health when he uses the Shock Coil. The Shock Coil is Sylux's affinity weapon.

WEAVEL

Description- A grey hunter with a ponytail. Has interesting ALT form.

How to use- Get special weapon and fire it from anywhere. It drops and can be fired rapidly by holding it, but there is no charge. When you are in a general area of your opponent, switch to ALT and a small firing thing will be placed there and it will use your health. Switch back into BIPED to remove the Halfturret. The shooter uses your HP, so if you are losing it, you know why.
How to beat- Shoot when in BIPED, he will likely switch to ALT if you begin to defeat him. Take out the Halfturret with your weapons. Move left and right quickly in pattern to dodge the shots.

ALT-FORM: HALFTURRET
How to use- Use when in areas generally close to opponents. When you start taking damage, it's wise to repeal it. Using Melee on an opponent while being hassled by the shooter is great strategy and leads to ultimate death.
How to beat- Shoot the Halfturret or the hunter's actual small body. The HPs between them are linked, so you will kill no matter what you shoot. The actual hunter won't go below 1 HIt Point no matter what though. The final shot must go to him. Jump and get to high ground to avoid the slashing hunter part, but dodging the perpetual green blasts is more difficult.

Weavel's affinity weapon is the Battlehammer, and when fired, it creates explosions that do damage to a player.

UNIVERSAL TIPS REGARDLESS OF CHARACTER

* Remember to keep your health up, always try to have it over about 70 unless you're about to kill and you're not taking much damage.
* Get your special weapon whenever you can. It's the black orbs that beep when you get it. Also, any orb that contains your weapon will give you it.
* To switch your third weapon, press the upper right part of the touch screen and drag thumb to the icon of your choice. You may pick from all of the guns that you have obtained in that life. They are lost when killed.
* Find the character you're best with and excell with him/her.
* When shooting, don't aim AT your foe unless that human is weak in the upper story and standing still. Account for the time it takes the weapon's attack to reach your opponent.
* Never assume any character is taking a break, snipers are always watching, and halfturrets (ALT for Weavel) could be placed anywhere.
* If you are an NSider, it is reccomended that you add an "N" in your name. N_[name], [name]_[N] are encouraged, I personally don't.
* Try to find all of the secrets in each online level. People take advantage of you if you don't know where some of the double damage orbs are. Life orbs are important to know the locations of as well.

Common Questions and Answers

Q: How do I find my Friend Code? (Don't share in the forums by the way.)
A: Multiplyer Mode--> Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection--> Edit Friends and Rivals--> Add Friend; Top screen on right.

Q: What are ranking points, and how do they work?
A: Ranking points give you stars on wi-fi. 0-39 ranking points is one star, 40-139 is two stars, and 140 and up is three stars. Not certain that it goes further. You get a ranking point for each wi-fi match you get 1st place in. If you get any other place, you lose a ranking point.

Q: Which character is the best?
A: No character is flat out best, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Choose which one works best.

Q: Can I use voice chat and the message sender during games? And with rivals or only friends?
A: You can only use the voice chat and message sender in the game setup portion. Not during the shooting part. You may only use these two features with friends. Rivals cannot see or hear your messages even if they join your games and you have friends there.

Q: I don't have Wi-Fi! / I need practice! Where do I find computers to battle like Wi-Fi play?
A: Multiplayer--> Multi-Card Play--> Create Game--> Set up to hunters; in the lower right hand corner, press ADD BOT. You then press the check mark when you want the bot to be that character. Up to three can be used alone or with another human.

Q: I'm getting a lot of 87001 errors or something... They won't let me connect again! What do I do?
A: Restart your DS. I reccomend click configure wi-fi and then back. You can also play a Multi-Card Battle with bots or people to eliminate this error for that DS session.

Too early, probably wont be getting reviews until monday,
I wonder if metroid prime 2's lackluster sales performance spells doom for this game.

edit: hOLy shit, nintendo's charging forty bucks for this? NINTENDO? Why have you forsaken me!

Release date: March 20, 2006 (US/CAN)

May 5 in Europe. Maybe I should import this time...
Do we know if it's actually possible to replicate the Licence to Kill mode from GE ? I must have read that somewhere, but can't remember if this was official info or merely wishful thinking.

dkeane

Got this preordered. Picked up a brochure, I'll scan it in tomorrow.
Game sounds solid as does the WiFi component.
I can't wait to try out the voice chat. Should be interesting to say the least.

MP2's failure won't hurt this game at all. Imo, Hunters could be the game that really catches the western market's attention. Mario Kart has sold very well in the US, and I think Hunters could sell even better.

Costs $35 at Gamestop/Wal Mart/Best Buy/etc.

I can't freaking wait. I'm getting it on the first day; Tetris will have to wait until April.

Does the non-Nfan Western market really care about the "Metroid" brand name?

Would they buy a DS to play one FPS? With 4-player online?

Will they get used to stylus control?

I expect this game to sell to N-fans. And there's no way in hell it outsells Mario Kart.

I got five of my casual friends to buy a DS just because of Mario Kart DS. Now we are in multiplayer heaven. I also changed over one of them to a complete Nintendo fanboy. Another factor was that it was christmas 2004 when the Metroid Prime: First Hunt demo was out. We played that for about 2 hours straight, between another DS taking turns, which I thought got them really hyped. I think I have about 12-13 people I know buying the game. This is in a town of 5000 people.

I remember getting one of my friends to buy a Dreamcast back in the day also.

AdmiralViscen said:
Does the non-Nfan Western market really care about the "Metroid" brand name?

Would they buy a DS to play one FPS? With 4-player online?

I expect this game to sell to N-fans. And there's no way in hell it outsells Mario Kart.

Metroid Hunters appeals to the hardcore game. I fully expect Xbox 360 shortages to help this game sell, since many hardcore gamers will just get this along with the DS if the 360 is out of stock.

PhoenixDark said:
Metroid Hunters appeals to the hardcore game. I fully expect Xbox 360 shortages to help this game sell, since many hardcore gamers will just get this along with the DS if the 360 is out of stock.

monorojo parody?

polg

koam said:
metroid_packboxart_160w.jpg

Title: Metroid Prime: Hunters
Console: Nintendo DS
Release date: March 20, 2006 (US/CAN)
Retail Price: $39.99US/ $49.99CND
4-player Online enabled (voice chat in lobby)

Mini preview from IGN

hang on... this is coming out NEXT MONDAY!??!!? I thought it was going to be released late may (I guess that is late may)
MUST PRE-ORDER (does anybody have any spare play-asia codes? pm pse :D)

Omie

Personally, the demo controlled best in "Dual Mode" which for those who don't know lets you walk and strafe with the d-pad and aim with the face buttons. Shooting is done with the L button. Plays like a charm that way to me.

Stopsign said:
I got five of my casual friends to buy a DS just because of Mario Kart DS. Now we are in multiplayer heaven. I also changed over one of them to a complete Nintendo fanboy. Another factor was that it was christmas 2004 when the Metroid Prime: First Hunt demo was out. We played that for about 2 hours straight, between another DS taking turns, which I thought got them really hyped. I think I have about 12-13 people I know buying the game. This is in a town of 5000 people.

I remember getting one of my friends to buy a Dreamcast back in the day also.

The last line of your post kinda proves that the first part is meaningless.

Getting your friends to do something != national success.

polg said:
hang on... this is coming out NEXT MONDAY!??!!? I thought it was going to be released late may (I guess that is late may)
MUST PRE-ORDER (does anybody have any spare play-asia codes? pm pse :D)

Why do you need Play-Asia codes if it is coming out in North America on March 20th? I didn't know that Play-Asia did games outside of importing from Asia.

Spencerr

Banned
Droppin $70 on games on the 20th. Think I should buy online @ ebgames or brick and mortar ebgames?

Online it is so I don't interrupt my finals by playing games all day long.

Any EBGames coupons?

Omie said:
Personally, the demo controlled best in "Dual Mode" which for those who don't know lets you walk and strafe with the d-pad and aim with the face buttons. Shooting is done with the L button. Plays like a charm that way to me.

People who use dual mode are going to get raped online. Stylus control is less comfortable,but its so much faster and fluid. Besides its going to be pretty hard to switch weapons/visors/alternate forms in a timely fashion.

arab

truffleshuffle83 said:
if i buy anything it'll be syphon filter over this

Ok.
This is a MPH topic not the truffleshuffle's everyday life topic.

Anyway, the commercials are working. Friends are buying DS's over this shizzle.

dkeane

Probationsmack said:
People who use dual mode are going to get raped online. Stylus control is less comfortable,but its so much faster and fluid. Besides its going to be pretty hard to switch weapons/visors/alternate forms in a timely fashion.
Yeah I got good at the stylus controls of First Hunt, I can't imagine using the dpad. My finger would fall off.

The Eatable Arab said:
Ok.
This is a MPH topic not the truffleshuffle's everyday life topic.

Anyway, the commercials are working. Friends are buying DS's over this shizzle.

Really? What age group are you and your friends if you dont mind me asking.

arab

15-17 age group. Despite some of them saying it's a pocket Halo (fucking Weavel), console sales never hurt.

The Eatable Arab said:
15-17 age group. Despite some of them saying it's a pocket Halo (fucking Weavel), console sales never hurt.

Well, Im pretty sure that weavel was supposed to be a fulgore (killer instinct) + master chief hybrid. Hitting two birds with one stone so to speak.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Buying it right when I get out of work on the 20th...

But I still say Tetris DS destroys it in NA.

AniHawk

Wow. $40? Even if I was interested, as a rule I don't buy any handheld software over $35.

News to me.

Seriously. And I work at a game store.

John Harker said:
Buying it right when I get out of work on the 20th...

But I still say Tetris DS destroys it in NA.

I expect tetris to bomb and metroid to do mediocrely, but well never know because crazy buttocks has vanished into the night. Will he ever return?

BuddyC

Archie said:
Nothin much, just responding to truffleshuffle's blatant troll and waiting for you to troll.
The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them, responding is exactly what they want. Just leave 'em for the mods to deal with.

Beowvlf

Banned
I really liked Prime 1, but thought Prime 2 took a major nosedive. I'm really skeptical of this one, and I didn't like First Hunt at all, so I'll give this a rent next week to try it out first before I commit; too many other games I have to buy this month to risk any cash.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Oh awesome, I still have 10 dollars in Amazon.com gift credit left over from Christmas. I think I'm going to use it to get this game for 25 dollars. :eek:

AniHawk

First Hunt was a bit better than Prime. It felt a bit more eh.. compact I guess. More to do in a smaller space. Didn't find it to control the best, though. I also disliked the fact that you had to kill everything in the room before you could progress.

Multiplayer was good. Better than Echoes (though it'd be fun with Echoes' added function things).

I'll keep an eye out.

Heian-kyo said:
I really liked Prime 1, but thought Prime 2 took a major nosedive. I'm really skeptical of this one, and I didn't like First Hunt at all, so I'll give this a rent next week to try it out first before I commit; too many other games I have to buy this month to risk any cash.

Oh I'm sure youll find something wrong with it

AniHawk said:
First Hunt was a bit better than Prime. It felt a bit more eh.. compact I guess. More to do in a smaller space. Didn't find it to control the best, though. I also disliked the fact that you had to kill everything in the room before you could progress.

Multiplayer was good. Better than Echoes (though it'd be fun with Echoes' added function things).

So a ten minute demo was better than the full gc game?
I hope this game is basically prime lite, as in the planets are self contained labyrinths (as you say "compact") comparable to the opening segment of prime (chozo temple). Later in metroid prime the backtracking got ridiculous and it tarnished the experience somewhat. I also hope the bounty hunters are akin to sa-x in metroid fusion but randomly appear. Give it somewhat of a resident evil 3 nemesis feeling.

BuddyC

polg said:
mods, Can we make this one a sticky pse?
Not right now, no. We've already got too many sticky threads, the game still isn't out for five days, the discussion isn't active enough to validate a sticky, and so forth.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm still having trouble deciding which control scheme I'll use while playing Hunters online...

I'm leaning towards thumbstrap for comfort but I've heard stylus allows greater precision..

Beezy

Release date Monday? That means I won't be able to find it instore until Tuesday. I'll put off buying any other games so that I can play against GAF in Metroid and Tetris next week. :D

I live on the East Coast and the stores near me never have the big Nintendo releases until Wednesday at the earliest. Crud. Oh well, I'll still head out Tues. on the off chance a game store actually got theirs in.

Top Bottom