• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Zoe

if your netflix is messing up with remote play, it seems like your router is causing the issue. Playing Netflix should not have any influence on remote play experience, or anything else that is happening on your network.
I think this is going to expose just how bad some people's Wi-Fi networks are.

I've been trying to get Joysound working at my friend's house, and while the speed tests show that it can hit over 5Mbps down via wireless, the connection isn't stable at all. Think we're gonna just run a 100 ft cable from his gateway until he gets his router/modem updated.

autoduelist

I was mostly posting the fact that I was using a wired connection and have Internet so fast that neither should be the issue (bad routers can certainly stuggle to prioritize traffic across a small network that leads to connection related issues) the issue is squarely with the technology hardware and software solution Sony chose to implement remote play. It is a flawed and technically inferior method.

if your netflix is messing up with remote play, it seems like your router is causing the issue. Playing Netflix should not have any influence on remote play experience, or anything else that is happening on your network.

Yea, it sounds like a similar issue to the one some people have with their vita -- remote play doesn't work 'out of the box' for some people, and they think it's shit, but really, it just requires some research / network config. My PSTV is teasing me from across the room since my wife stole it to be a xmas present, so I can't test my setup, though my vita does remote play wonderfully.

I think I am glad I got this earlier today. I only have 2 PS Vita games (P4 and FF X), but my backlog of PSP games is enormous. As someone who mostly purchased for playing PSP games on a bigger screen I am finding it better than the component on PSP. But some games do look kinda bad tho. FF Tactics looks fuzzy as hell, while Tactics Ogre looks really nice on my 50". The game that surprised me the most in how well it looked was Dissidia 012. Playing that with my DS4 on the big screen and nice audio setup is how I have dreamed of playing it for years. Wasn't a chunky mess either.

Once Ys Celceta unlocks I will be a much happier customer. Kinda glad I waited on playing past the first couple hours if it's compatibility does eventually get patched in.

Ramma2

Remote play on this works way worse than it does on my Vita in the same spot. Can't figure out why :(

Excellent question. Remote play on my vita, via wireless router (direct connect disabled) is 10x better than remote play to the Playstation TV, via wired connection (via same router no less).

Mrcapcom

I have my PTV ethernet and the same on my PS4 and I get a slight lag thats big enough to mess me up on most games. Any ideas or tips to help with this? Did Sony ever announce that they will patch certain games etc? Still waiting for SAO patch

SerTapTap

Uuuuugggh, DS4 touch input doesn't work right. The actual precision of the pad is great for single-touch, but if you try repeated taps as part of one gesture it doesn't work. A single tap is fine, but if you start trying to do anything more than that (like, say, TWO taps) it just doesn't work. Even using L2 instead of the touchpad click. Quite disappointing. It wasn't going to be much more than a hacky way to get around in some games, but it's potentially much better than the analog sticks depending on the task.

What's worse is it seems deliberate but I can't fathom why. It isn't buggy or unresponsive or anything, just stops sending taps to the game, even though the touch icon acts as if you're clicking.

I don't have many "touchy" games left on it to try with, but it's definitely doing the same thing in both SK Versus and Monster Monpiece. Killzone Mercenary just disables the touch input entirely (which is fine), and I don't think Muramasa Rebirth even has touch controls for me to try.

Zoe

How does the direct connection to the PS4 compare to wireless and wired?

Direct connection is highly prone to interference and limited in range. The PS4 turns into its own hub that the Vita connects to.

Wired using the internal network should give the best performance assuming the router can handle the bandwidth.

MrBS

Got mine in the mail today. Apologies if this has already been asked but it I somehow manage a usb to usb connection to the PC will content manager work or am I stuck with wifi? I suppose LAN is out of the question as well?
To answer my own question PC manager seemed to work fine over LAN. Senran on the big screen is nice :D

rav

If I have a 1080p tv, is it better going for the 720p or 1080i option?? (sorry can't check now)
Bummer...
I'd go for the 720p option. (A good way to think about 1080i is 540 lines drawn every field -- you'll see lines from the interlacing and it drives me bonkers.)
I could only keep mine on 1080i for about 5 minutes before I put it back on Auto where it sits at 720p. (Mostly to see if that would change the remote play latency at all. It didn't seem to change it much in 720p)

You might not be able to unsee this after you click: http://alvyray.com/digitaltv/naming_proposal.htm [You have been warned]
edit: This appears to be pretty old, so you can kind of ignore the comments at the end about deinterlacing with hardware that costs 100k. (No longer costs near that amount for decent telecine / deinterlacing in hardware.)

fernoca

I'd go for the 720p option. (A good way to think about 1080i is 540 lines drawn every field -- you'll see lines from the interlacing and it drives me bonkers.)
I could only keep mine on 1080i for about 5 minutes before I put it back on Auto where it sits at 720p. (Mostly to see if that would change the remote play latency at all. It didn't seem to change it much in 720p)

You might not be able to unsee this after you click: http://alvyray.com/digitaltv/naming_proposal.htm [You have been warned]
edit: This appears to be pretty old, so you can kind of ignore the comments at the end about deinterlacing with hardware that costs 100k. (No longer costs near that amount for decent telecine / deinterlacing in hardware.)
Hmmm...interesting read.
I was alternating between 720p and 1080i and noticed that my eyes ...hurt at 1080i, so assumed I was just tired ...and kept playing.

Then it continued the other day, changed to 720p..and no longer have that. Guess that was the reason.

oRuin

Sorry if this has been asked already, had a look through the thread but could not anything.
Instead of buying two vita memory cards for different accounts, is it possible to use the PS Content Manager Assistant software on PC to keep backups of both account data while using just one memory card?

antibolo

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked already, had a look through the thread but could not anything.
Instead of buying two vita memory cards for different accounts, is it possible to use the PS Content Manager Assistant software on PC to keep backups of both account data while using just one memory card?

Yes but it sounds pretty annoying, it's bad enough that you have to factory reset every time you want to switch accounts, and this would add extra overhead to the process.

oRuin

Yes but it sounds pretty annoying, it's bad enough that you have to factory reset every time you want to switch accounts, and this would add extra overhead to the process.

Decided to just preorder the PSTV, bought P4G, FFXHD, and a 4gb memory card just for game saves. This will be for my EU account. I'll pick up a larger memory card for my US psone/psp games at a later date.

antibolo

Banned
Decided to just preorder the PSTV, bought P4G, FFXHD, and a 4gb memory card just for game saves. This will be for my EU account. I'll pick up a larger memory card for my US psone/psp games at a later date.

Why buy a memory card just for saves? The PSTV has 1GB of internal storage.

It comes with 1 gb built in for saves. You can use that 4gb card for downloadables, though, like that copy of FFX2 that you have coming in the mail :p

oRuin

It comes with 1 gb built in for saves. You can use that 4gb card for downloadables, though, like that copy of FFX2 that you have coming in the mail :p

I prefer to go physical media for my systems; just the way I am lol.

Why buy a memory card just for saves? The PSTV has 1GB of internal storage.

I didn't want to use the internal memory, I wanted my saves on a card (Just in case I pick up a Vita - card cost me £8, so no biggie)

Jomjom

Banned
Direct connection is highly prone to interference and limited in range. The PS4 turns into its own hub that the Vita connects to.

Wired using the internal network should give the best performance assuming the router can handle the bandwidth.

Ahh ok thanks. Yeah I figured as the paper insert that came with it seemed to state that wired on both devices would produce the best results. I live in an apartment and the PSTV and PS4 are only about 4 feet away, separated by a wall. So I was wondering if direct connection would give me a good enough connection. Guess I won't know for sure until I try later today!

Jomjom

Banned

Hmmm...interesting read.
I was alternating between 720p and 1080i and noticed that my eyes ...hurt at 1080i, so assumed I was just tired ...and kept playing.

Then it continued the other day, changed to 720p..and no longer have that. Guess that was the reason.

This is the one time where I am glad that the smaller TV in my bedroom is actually natively 720p.

Dr.brain64

Thanks!! Very interesting.

Haha, FFX-2 would probably fill that 4GB card up.
I prefer to go physical media for my systems; just the way I am lol.

I didn't want to use the internal memory, I wanted my saves on a card (Just in case I pick up a Vita - card cost me £8, so no biggie)
FFX comes on a cart while FFX-2 is a download voucher, just so you know.

SerTapTap

I don't get it, sometimes the ds4 touch works exactly as I'd expect, sometimes not. Works fine in SK Versus for text advancing, not anywhere else. Does'nt work in Monster Monpiece. Works in Velocity Ultra now (not very useful but, hey)

Ordered mine from Play-Asia yesterday, had it in my cart when they were doing the White bundle cheap. Vita TV/ Dualshock 3 and 8GB card for £68 and £13 shipping.

Figured that the cheapest over here was £75 without a controller and I like the white!

Yes however it will need to build databse (Quick even on a 32GB) and stuff will get out of order.
Yeah, the order thing is a bit annoying.
Anyways I got Sly Cooper Trilogy for $10 bucks + $4 for shipping. I figured one game could be a download, but still hurt seeing that. It is going to be fun to have it any place I go.

Ordered mine from Play-Asia yesterday, had it in my cart when they were doing the White bundle cheap. Vita TV/ Dualshock 3 and 8GB card for £68 and £13 shipping.

Figured that the cheapest over here was £75 without a controller and I like the white!
That is pretty neat. I was tempted to import for white, but I decided I rather get it here.

Yeah, the order thing is a bit annoying.
Anyways I got Sly Cooper Trilogy for $10 bucks + $4 for shipping. I figured one game could be a download, but still hurt seeing that. It is going to be fun to have it any place I go.

That is pretty neat. I was tempted to import for white, but I decided I rather get it here.

Yeah I've been undecided on what to get, and play-asia kept sending emails saying I hadn't completed my order (paid) so I just decided to go with it. I like the white and the extra controller is a bonus too. Not fussed about the memory card as I already have 2 x 32GB and 2 x 8GB

Have cancelled my Gamestop preorder.

The size difference is great.

2014-10-1703.38.46idp0m.jpg

I keep seeing "Life and Hometown" being mentioned but there is no game called Life or Hometown. What is it?

Not fussed about the memory card as I already have 2 x 32GB and 2 x 8GB
Yeah, I got 2 x 16GB when they were 20 bucks on Amazon. I mostly wanted a new controller and the bundle gave me reason to pick it up. Lego Move game is also pretty fun. I would so just go for whatever you like. Any PS TV sales will mean more developers will patch their games.

breakfuss

Not trying to be an ass but what is the point of playing vita games on a TV? Seriously, what is the point??? I want this almost exclusively for the remote play.

ascii42

Not trying to be an ass but what is the point of playing vita games on a TV? Seriously, what is the point??? I want this almost exclusively for the remote play.

When playing something like Persona 4 Golden, I'd rather enjoy it on a big screen rather than on a handheld.

Jawmuncher

Fair enough. But does it still suspend/resume like a vita? That made P4G worlds better on a handheld, IMO.

It does actually.
Which makes it really great for TV use still.
Also it helps for some gamers who feel certain games might play better with a controller over the vita. For example I love plaing Shinovi Versus much more with the PS4 controller on the PSTV than the vita itself. Especially since some sequences you need to mash like crazy.

Also even though the PSTV is just a vita in a box.
It's sad that I can suspend on this but not my PS4 which sony said I could.

Alchemy

• If you don't own a Vita, you can now play some awesome games like Persona.
  • Playing games on a TV is usually a better experience then on a tiny handheld screen.

RPGs hurts my eyes squeezed in a tiny screen. Vita has lots of exclusive RPGs on it.
Also this makes them HD, plus this is very portable which means you can play games anywhere.

SerTapTap

Uhhh maybe it's just my local network enviornment (I do have lots of bluetooth), but I'm getting notable lag on DS4 but not DS3 here

Ogawa-san

People go nuts over playing stuff on a small screen with not-so-great ergonomics when they could have better options and I just don't get it. If I'm not making use of either portability, particular functions like gyroscope/touch or instant suspend/resume, I definitely rather play on a TV with a proper controller.

I have a Vita I'm picking one up to play any Vita-exclusive I can. Not a lot, I know, but $99 is cheap enough.

So, is there any comprehensive list of which games work and which don't? I know Sony has something like that posted, but as I understand it the list wasn't completely accurate? Can someone verify this?

Darknight

Holy shit I just activate my PSTV on FW 3.20 using this guide from Wololo: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=40302

If you need to activate and download an exploited game to boot eCFW, use this method!! Woot I thought I was screwed since the previous "easy" Proxy method has been shut down by Sony. Only thing is you need a PS3!!! So anyways I downloaded Patapon 2 and Tekken 2 so I can do homebrew + PS1 emulation on this thing...YASSS!!!

Top Bottom