• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation TV Thread: Vita Who?

Takao

Banned
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet: A hacker claims to have found a way to make 90% of Vita games playable on PSTV. He demonstrates that in a video where he boots up and plays Uncharted: Golden Abyss, among others.

yz3U5TT.png

goonergaz

It's the same as the regular Vita, so nope. One account per system can be used at one time. If you want to switch, you have to do a system restore and input the Email addess/password for your other account. If you want to use any save game data from a memory card, you'll need one memory card for each account.

thanks, we only use it for remote play so might give it a try to see how much of a pain it is

joecanada

It's the same as the regular Vita, so nope. One account per system can be used at one time. If you want to switch, you have to do a system restore and input the Email addess/password for your other account. If you want to use any save game data from a memory card, you'll need one memory card for each account.

They ever give a reason why? ItS A very bad feature

What about touch controls? PS4 controller?

Touch controls should theoretically work using the emulated controls, but I'm not entirely sure about motion controls, and of course things that require the camera shouldn't work at all. I highly doubt that Uncharted is playable from start to finish.

Gusto

Wtf Sony,all I asked for was a small device with Netflix,Spotify and the capabilities of playing Vita games.At the very least allow it to play the indies. This is so frustrating.

Touch controls should theoretically work using the emulated controls, but I'm not entirely sure about motion controls, and of course things that require the camera shouldn't work at all. I highly doubt that Uncharted is playable from start to finish.

i assume the melee QTEs are impossible to do in time with the touch emulation. there's also one scene where you need to use the camera in uncharted GA

animax

Yeah this is kinda the big question

It doesn't really matter if the games are running on PSTV if you can't actually play them

it does matter, uncharted was just a bad example to show in the POC because it won't be fully playable - but there will be many games that will now be fully playable like they should have been from day 1

KyleCross

I guess Uncharted will be playable after all, but it looks like you'll need old firmware.

It won't be. There is a puzzle in the game that requires you to hold the Vita up to a light source in order to make out details on a piece of paper, it uses the camera to determine the light source. GA allowed you to turn most of its Vita-centric gimmicks off in exchange for traditional controls, but I think this is one that you had no choice but to do the gimmick. I might be wrong, I only played the game once.

Also I am not surprised by this at all. Let's not forget that the bulk of the PS2 library works on the PS3, even the ones without backwards compatibility. You merely throw an ISO through a program that reverse engineered the PS2classics container. That still pisses me off to this day.

LAM09

It won't be. There is a puzzle in the game that requires you to hold the Vita up to a light source in order to make out details on a piece of paper, it uses the camera to determine the light source. GA allowed you to turn most of its Vita-centric gimmicks off in exchange for traditional controls, but I think this is one that you had no choice but to do the gimmick. I might be wrong, I only played the game once.

Also I am not surprised by this at all. Let's not forget that the bulk of the PS2 library works on the PS3, even the ones without backwards compatibility. You merely throw an ISO through a program that reverse engineered the PS2classics container. That still pisses me off to this day.

I remember someone saying that could be one of the obstacles. I guess we'll know more in the coming weeks about a potential patch.

Dunkley

Hey guys, first off let me start saying I picked up a PSTV for Easter since it was going for around 60€ and so far it's been great. I have two big questions though and since looking on the internet I feel it's kinda hard to find up-to-date info on it, I hope it's okay that I ask them here:

(Note: PSN account on the console is NA, PSTV model is EU)

1. I want to buy Valkyria Chronicles 2 and play it on my Playstation TV but I can't see it on the store. Is it possible to transfer it on the Vita by any other means? (I think it's compatible)
  2. Danganronpa 1 shows up under the Playstation TV compatible games on the Playstation Store, but all I can find on the net is posts saying that it will not work. Can anyone with a North American copy confirm if it works on the Playstation TV or not? (Bonus for anyone with a European copy testing too so I could look into buying it physically)
Thanks in advance!

KyleCross

Hey guys, first off let me start saying I picked up a PSTV for Easter since it was going for around 60€ and so far it's been great. I have two big questions though and since looking on the internet I feel it's kinda hard to find up-to-date info on it, I hope it's okay that I ask them here:

1. I want to buy Valkyria Chronicles 2 and play it on my Playstation TV but I can't see it on the store. Is it possible to transfer it on the Vita by any other means? (I think it's compatible)
  2. Danganronpa 1 shows up under the Playstation TV compatible games on the Playstation Store, but all I can find on the net is posts saying that it will not work. Can anyone with a North American copy confirm if it works on the Playstation TV or not? (Bonus for anyone with a European copy testing too so I could look into buying it physically)
Thanks in advance!

Valkyria Chronicles 2 isn't supported on the PSTV natively, as it also isn't a supported title even on an actual Vita. You instead have to go through the PS3 to get it to work. Download VC2 onto your PS3, connect the PSTV to the PS3 (wireless or wired) and launch the PS3 Content Manager on the PSTV to copy it over. At least this is how it use to be, I assume it still works.

Mendrox

Thanks in advance!

NA Danganronpa 1 works, EU not.
NA Danganronpa 2 works, EU too.

Audioboxer

Dunkley

Valkyria Chronicles 2 isn't supported on the PSTV natively, as it also isn't a supported title even on an actual Vita. You instead have to go through the PS3 to get it to work. Download VC2 onto your PS3, connect the PSTV to the PS3 (wireless or wired) and launch the PS3 Content Manager on the PSTV to copy it over. At least this is how it use to be, I assume it still works.

NA Danganronpa 1 works, EU not.
NA Danganronpa 2 works, EU too.

Thanks a lot for the answers. I'll be trying to get VC2 onto the PSTV through my PS3 then and hope it works. In the worst case I can still play it on the PSP if it doesn't work out for some reason.

As for Danganronpa 1, guess I'll be just getting it off PSN then. Thanks for the info!

Hey GAF
I have some problem with my vita and ps tv

every time I change the memory stick from vita to ps tv or vice versa my folders get deleted and the games are everywhere -.-

Is this normal? Can I somehow prevent it from happening??

Hey GAF
I have some problem with my vita and ps tv

every time I change the memory stick from vita to ps tv or vice versa my folders get deleted and the games are everywhere -.-

Is this normal? Can I somehow prevent it from happening??

i keep the folders in the same positions on both vita and pstv and this hasn't happened to me

awp69

Was looking at today's PSN sales on Star Wars and Golden Week.

Sadly quite a few of the Golden Week titles are not listed as PSTV compatible - at least of those I was interested in.

So, two questions:

1. Are any of the Star Wars Battlefront PSP games directly downloadable to PSTV (ie., without a PS3)? I know Battlefront II is not. Wasn't sure about Elite and Renegade Squadron.

2. Is Demon's Gaze worth $12?

KyleCross

In lieu of recent events with the homebrew of non-PSTV compatible titles being made playable and the homebrew to be released in the future (or so the person says) I noticed I hadn't updated my PSTV recently, it is still on 3.36 which is the firmware the aforementioned homebrew is running on.

Do you guys think I shouldn't update my PSTV and instead jailbreak it for the possibility of playing more of my Vita library on it, or is it not worth it? How would you even get your games downloaded from the PS Store with outdated firmware?

eastx

Gurumin, one of the PSP games on sale, is Vita compatible but not PS TV. I asked the devs if they'll whitelist it - would be rad.

Kyle, I dunno! If you lose access to online features by not updating, then it's not really worth it.

Rainy

Banned
Sorry, does anyone know if Dragon's Crown is compatible with PSTV? Thinking of getting it in the Golden Week sale, never played it before.

(Also can you go through the game solo? lol)

awp69

It's compatible. I've only booted it up so not sure about soloability.

Sorry, does anyone know if Dragon's Crown is compatible with PSTV? Thinking of getting it in the Golden Week sale, never played it before.

(Also can you go through the game solo? lol)

Yes, just to double verify, I have played Dragon's Crown on my PSTV and it works fine. Only thing that's a little annoying is that you have to click the joysticks to enable touch control to do things like open chests and doors. Otherwise it's a great game and I have played solo and still have a blast (you hire NPCs to tag along to fight for you).

Any thoughts on Sorcery Saga? Also, other the obvious God of War titles, what are some good Vita hack n slash titles (non-side scrolling)?

Well my memory card is screwed up. Now all my saves are gone and I have to re download everything.

I guess I have to get a new memory card also but I really don't feel like spending the money on a new one.

Ah man this sucks
:(

eFKac

Just started Killzone Mercenary for the first time...

Holy moly what could have been :-( I haven't played KZ3 in years so my memories are probably not accurate, but except for some obvious effects like fog etc. this game looks like a slighlty blurrier KZ3 0_o most impressive.

Shame we won't see anything pushing it that hard.

And to think that the graphical and technical showcase is a 1st generation game in only the second year on the market of the console, man... there was so much potential in this hardware.

joecanada

Well my memory card is screwed up. Now all my saves are gone and I have to re download everything.

I guess I have to get a new memory card also but I really don't feel like spending the money on a new one.

Ah man this sucks
:(

dont tell me they have proprietary memory cards?

also , does anyone know an easy way to look for ps plus free games on PSTV? The one thing sony screwed up in the store is when you go into psplus it always just shows subscription options, I've been a member for years! just show me the games ffs.... PS4 i see now has a screen up top for this...

dont tell me they have proprietary memory cards?

also , does anyone know an easy way to look for ps plus free games on PSTV? The one thing sony screwed up in the store is when you go into psplus it always just shows subscription options, I've been a member for years! just show me the games ffs.... PS4 i see now has a screen up top for this...

Tbh the easiest way to manage ps plus is to buy via the web store on your phone,tablet,comp or even the ps4 browser. That way you can set them to download on the ps3,ps4,vita at once rather than having to turn on each device seperately and downloading games individually. US link:https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/games UK Link:https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/games

joecanada

I just got one yesterday and tried it out this morning. Here's the situation:

PS4 wired into my router at home.
PS TV wired into my office network at work.
My home and office are 40km (25 miles) apart.
I had the settings set to High Quality and High FPS.

I tried playing MKX this morning and it was SUPER snappy. I really had to strain to try to notice input lag. There was an instance where I did a split second touch of the block button and got hit by the opponent almost simultaneously, but I still managed to block the move, and that really made it feel like it was working well. And on a TV, it's a little noticeable that the IQ is less than on a native PS4, but it still looks better than a 360/PS3 game.

In contrast, Remote playing from my Vita from the office (wifi) was not nearly as snappy, there was a noticeable 150-200ms or so lag, it was hard to get combos going. Hell-- even within my own HOME my remote play was not as good as I saw on the wired Vita TV this morning.

awp69

Battlefront II is now downloadable directly to the PSTV.

Wondering if other PSP titles that used to require a PS3 transfer now also will download.

I just got Battlefront PSP for PSTV. Is it possible to map the right stick of DS controller for look instead of the default PSP controls? Using the archaic PSP buttons is a pain.

I just got Battlefront PSP for PSTV. Is it possible to map the right stick of DS controller for look instead of the default PSP controls? Using the archaic PSP buttons is a pain.
Yep, make sure Battlefront's controller scheme is set to have the look controls mapped to the face buttons. Then hold down the PS button while in-game and there should be an option to change controls, map the right stick to the face buttons.

It's still not the easiest to aim but tapping down on the d-pad should give you a lock-on, which helps.

awp69

Yep, make sure Battlefront's controller scheme is set to have the look controls mapped to the face buttons. Then hold down the PS button while in-game and there should be an option to change controls, map the right stick to the face buttons.

It's still not the easiest to aim but tapping down on the d-pad should give you a lock-on, which helps.

God yes. I need to check changing the controls. I played for about 5 minutes and hated it due,to the controls.

joecanada

Tbh the easiest way to manage ps plus is to buy via the web store on your phone,tablet,comp or even the ps4 browser. That way you can set them to download on the ps3,ps4,vita at once rather than having to turn on each device seperately and downloading games individually. US link:https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/games UK Link:https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/games

hey thanks again but I have a further question :( ... is there any way to sort for games that are compatible with pstv? are all vita games compatible? I downloaded a vita game and it says not compatible with pstv? what gives?

edit - found a link for anyone who wants https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ps-tv-compatible-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSTVCOMPATIBLE

Top Bottom