• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated and Overlooked fighting games

Ninjimbo

I just got VirtueFighter5:Final Showdown on playstation 3. Man, I had no idea how good it was! I'm hooked, but there are a bunch of asshole veterans on there. Rarel any lower rank people. My psn name is DragunovSergei. Maybe some of you weenies here play. Stop being a dick to noobs. Scares them off. Luckily I'm persistent.

Edit: any news on VF6?!
I recognize you. And I'm not a dick to noobs unless they get spammy. I do like sending the occasional trolling message just for kicks.

World Heroes 2 Jet and Groove On Fight. To a lesser degree, other installments in their respective series, Power Instinct and World Heroes Perfect. Also, Karate Champ.

shaowebb

I remember buying this and KoF XI and thought this game blew XI away. Sucks SNK never made a sequel.

I bought both KOF XI and NeoGeo Battle Coliseum on the same day as well. Both were amazing. One was the penultimate KOF roster and the other was just an insane tribute to NeoGeo in the form of tag fighting. Each was their own beast and both were well worth the money. Folks NEED to have played both. They were some of the most memorable SNK moments for me.

pwrstnf.jpg

tumblr_ml6ds9iGRR1qcrzzno1_1280.jpg

Waku Waku 7 is ALWAYS fun.
Came to post this, and left happy it has some love from GAF already.

This thing is so damn mid-ninties anime you'd swear it was a parody. Well, it kind of is, but it gets everything from the OTT gameplay right down to the nauseating music so spot-on it works both ways. I've not seen the style done this well before or since.

It also has the best bonus stage ever bar none. I need my Bonus Kun avatar back...

Amaya

Banned
I recognize you. And I'm not a dick to noobs unless they get spammy. I do like sending the occasional trolling message just for kicks.

I don't spam. I try to play as skillful as possible but I forget the basics sometimes. I can't even find a good combo video for wolf. Or what moves to use to keep fadt characters at bay. Which moves should I use that's a fast poke? He's my fave!

kasavin

Fun thread. ADK (aka Alpha Denshi) and Arika have made some excellent, underappreciated fighting games.

- ADK got a bad rap with World Heroes, which started as a pretty shameless Street Fighter II clone. But it gained a stronger and stronger identity with each iteration, culminating in World Heroes Perfect, a really great fighting game with an awesome cast and tons of personality.

Trivia: World Heroes Perfect is the first and (I am pretty sure) only 2D fighting game with head tracking, i.e. when one character jumps, the character on the ground looks up at him.

- ADK also did a game called Ninja Master's, a bit like Samurai Shodown but with a darker vibe. Some great, memorable character designs and a cool combo system where you had different moves with and without your weapon.

- As for Arika, I always felt Street Fighter EX + Alpha was grossly underappreciated. There was a ton of stigma around the idea of a 3D Street Fighter, but EX + Alpha played like 2D, had some great animation and feel, did radical and cool things with the classic characters, and introduced new character designs that were straight-up better than what Capcom was doing (e.g. Skullomania, Darun Mister, and Cracker Jack).

CO_Andy

Don't hear anyone on Fighting GAF talk about Blade Symphony, which came out a few months ago. Seems to play like Bushido Blade.

2013-09-26_00011.jpg

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I just realized I'm in the wrong thread.

FIGHTING GAMES YAY!

- Rushing Beat was under-rated, if ropey.

> Obviously Tobal No2 and Bushido Blade.

- Fighter's History / Karnov's Revenge were decent and got cussed out due to the over-homaging of Street Fighter.

- Double Dragon Rage of the Dragons on Neo Geo IS HARD AS FUCK. But combos were fun.

- Fatal Fury Real Bout Special is still one of my favorite 2D fighters ever. And the PSOne version was so over-looked. They added 2 whole characters ffs!

realboutspecial-dominatedmind-screen4.png

Fun thread. ADK (aka Alpha Denshi) and Arika have made some excellent, underappreciated fighting games.

- ADK got a bad rap with World Heroes, which started as a pretty shameless Street Fighter II clone. But it gained a stronger and stronger identity with each iteration, culminating in World Heroes Perfect, a really great fighting game with an awesome cast and tons of personality.

Trivia: World Heroes Perfect is the first and (I am pretty sure) only 2D fighting game with head tracking, i.e. when one character jumps, the character on the ground looks up at him.

- ADK also did a game called Ninja Master's, a bit like Samurai Shodown but with a darker vibe. Some great, memorable character designs and a cool combo system where you had different moves with and without your weapon.

- As for Arika, I always felt Street Fighter EX + Alpha was grossly underappreciated. There was a ton of stigma around the idea of a 3D Street Fighter, but EX + Alpha played like 2D, had some great animation and feel, did radical and cool things with the classic characters, and introduced new character designs that were straight-up better than what Capcom was doing (e.g. Skullomania, Darun Mister, and Cracker Jack).

Yeah, those EX characters were the best of the roster, too, and more to play than the vanilla cast.

petghost

Banned
Don't hear anyone on Fighting GAF talk about Blade Symphony, which came out a few months ago. Seems to play like Bushido Blade.

2013-09-26_00011.jpg

it looks cool but more like a riff on character action games than bushido blade...i mean its got lifebars. also a camera attached to the characters back.

for real tho someone make a new bushido blade inspired game.

Powerstone
Def Jam Fight For NY

Im still bitter that Some asshole stole my copy of Def Jam. Sigh. Hopefully I can find a copy someday.

SerTapTap

If Virtua Fighter counts you bet your ass I'm saying Skullgirls. Deserves way more than "pretty good for an indie game" sort of attention. Dev team has the worst goddamn luck too, but damn it is everything I love about 2D fighters and why I prefer 'em over 3D (graphics and gameplay-wise).

Love the artstyle of that, someone suggested I do a video on it once which is where I heard of it, not really the sort of game I LP though. And I'm bad enough at fighters/dedicating time to fighters that Skullgirls and Xrd are going to be plenty for this year and most of next

Fist of the North Star, by Arc System Works.

HNK_Ingame_Screen.jpg

Fist_Of_The_North_Star_-_2005_-_Sega.jpg

While not the deepest game (character selection was limited), it was great. It was a more grounded fighter by Arc, more like KOF or Street Fighter instead of Blazblue or MvC. Always wanted a copy of this (I had fond memories of Last Battle on Genesis to boot).

petghost

Banned
Fist of the North Star, by Arc System Works.

While not the deepest game (character selection was limited), it was great. It was a more grounded fighter by Arc, more like KOF or Street Fighter instead of Blazblue or MvC. Always wanted a copy of this (I had fond memories of Last Battle on Genesis to boot).

you pulling my leg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mGHFVdl3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3O9dDj4Ck

this game like a legendary kusoge. i mean i kinda respect how kusoge it is but man... its so broken.

That Yu Yu Hakusho MegaDrive game was awesome.

kIZpftc.png

I bought both KOF XI and NeoGeo Battle Coliseum on the same day as well. Both were amazing. One was the penultimate KOF roster and the other was just an insane tribute to NeoGeo in the form of tag fighting. Each was their own beast and both were well worth the money. Folks NEED to have played both. They were some of the most memorable SNK moments for me.

The real memorable moment was how each game was only $15. While in today's Steambased world it seems typical it was a crazy value at the time. Two games for less then the price of one.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Holy crap! That's just what I needed, thanks!

this thread is your best friend.

here are some combos to practice. keep in mind that VF has a 12 frame input buffer, meaning that timing combos is really easy. Just input your next move in the tail end of the move you just did.

kuYuri

Tobal No.1 and Tobal 2.

T1 was fun back then and that quest mode was friggin hard. It was basically a rogue-like I believe.

kasavin

Oh and I think Art of Fighting series doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
AoF2 and AoF3 are great games.

Especially AoF2 in my opinion. That game was awesome.

I think AoF2 (along with Samurai Shodown) have the best writing in any fighting game. Tons of weird, great humor and big, memorable personalities.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Fighters_destiny_box.JPG

Unique scoring system and the combat was simple but could be tactical thanks to the chance of a 1 hit KO.

Dachande

There's also a sequel, En-Eins Perfektewelt. Haven't had a chance to try it though.

I really want to play that, but I don't think there's any way to outside of a Japanese arcade as it's tied to the Nesica X Live system. :( Apparently it plays a bit differently to Akatsuki though, more air-based I hear.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Virtua Fighter is generally ignored. Some recent games get credit for having "great" training modes, but they're still not at VF4: Evo's level.

It gets ignored because Sega hasn't made a new VF in, like, ten years.

VF5 did sell pretty well, or it at least exceeded their expectations. I don't know what they're waiting for.

Top Bottom