• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs "Definitive" Edition on Xbox One has a terribly performing game engine

Its crashed on me twice, both times when trying to load up a save. No screen tearing that I've seen and the frame rate has been fine so far, no real bad drops or anything yet. I'm having fun with it and it does look really nice at times, especially at night.

Hmmm alright that's a bit more promising. Really interested in this since I never played it before. Hopefully that crashing can be patched quick. Is the framerate a locked 30 or does it feel unlocked like Tomb Raider?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'd say Sleeping Dogs is a hell of a lot more polished than any of the SR games.

GTA? Yeah. Saints Row? Lol.

Fair, haven't owned a saints row game since the first which as far as I remember was pretty polished, but that's been years.

Still, point stands, Sleeping Dogs was far removed from a AAA game. That said, I still enjoyed the hell out of it.

A shame because the PC port of Sleeping Dogs is amazing. It is quite a demanding game though, this is why the Xbone struggles with its pos 7770 gpu.

its the cpu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Ct9h8Y_c0

Benchmark:
Extreme 0xSSAA Min: 37 Avg: 54 Max: 65
High 0xSSAA Min: 37 Avg: 54 Max: 65
Medium 0x SSAA Min: 52 Avg: 77 Max: 98

Gameplay:
Extreme 0xSSAA Min: 36 Avg: 43 Max: 58
High 0xSSAA Min: 36 Avg: 43 Max: 58
Medium 0x SSAA Min: 43 Avg: 61 Max: 84

PC Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 @ 3.6 1.45V (Summer Clock)
4x2 gb GSkill DDR III 1350 CL8
Asus M4A785TD-M Evo
Asus HD 7770 1Gb
WD Blue 500Gb
Corsair TX-650W

That's at 1080p on a 7770

AmyS

Was very much considering picking up the physical for PS4, as I've never played it on 360/PS3 or PC.

It's terrible to hear reports that both versions of Definitive Edition are apparently of such low quality with framerate problems. They couldn't reach a locked 30 FPS even on PS4 ?

All eyes are now on Grand Theft Auto V next month.

gossi

I have a very quickly produced this video:

http://youtu.be/MAiU_Aqbq10

It isn't the capture deck stuff, it's straight from Xbox for pure speed. I've picked two clips from play which I think fairly represent the game. Sorry, I haven't picked the really awful bits with all the smoke, traffic and DoF slowing things down (at least yet) because I think it's unfair to the developers to only show the worst bits of a game. But there's some walking around in a park I was just in, and the game was a juddery mess in that park.

dreamfall

It isn't the capture deck stuff, it's straight from Xbox for pure speed. I've picked two clips from play which I think fairly represent the game. Sorry, I haven't picked the really awful bits with all the smoke, traffic and DoF slowing things down (at least yet) because I think it's unfair to the developers to only show the worst bits of a game. But there's some walking around in a park I was just in, and the game was a juddery mess in that park.

Holy goodness, the judder and the framerate drops are completely apparent from the clips you presented. Profound sadness.

I really wanted to replay this on the PS4, but I'd also like to see a complete Digital Foundry breakdown. The screen tearing will bother the hell out of me. What happened here? This certainly is no Tomb Raider :/

DOWN

Banned
I never played this so I'll get it on PS4, but unlike Tomb Raider, the trailer failed to show off real upgrades to the graphics. I guess I will buy when discounted and hope Square don't hold it against a potential sequel and just realize it was because of the half-hearted remaster.

Head.spawn

Can I be a dick about this? I'm going to be a dick about this.

This is what happens when you force parity. Either you get an AC Unity and the PS4 isn't being used to its potential or you get a Sleeping Dogs/Alien Isolation and the Xbox One version runs like shit.

I'm gonna be a backseat game dev and just say that you should focus on the strengths of each system and use different rendering settings accordingly.

EDIT: Actually nope, PS4 version's absolute shit too.

You're ruining the narrative. :(

BibiMaghoo

Activision made the right call aborting this failure of a game.

Even being completely objective, this sentence is the most laughably wrong thing I've read today. The game sold well, was well received, and is now being milked for more cash. Activision did not make the right call, and I'd wager at this point they know that.

Shiggy

Makes me feel really dizzy, looking at that.

randomwab

The PS4 version has some odd performance too from what I can see from about an hour of playing. Essentially, any time the player has control of the game, it's running at a solid 60 with no frame drops or screen tearing. Runs wonderfully in these moments. However, almost every cutscene, in game or prerendered, seem to be either struggling to keep that framerate or are just running at a lower frame rate. I honestly don't know what's going on, it's very odd.

This game should not have been released like this. It seems like a lazy attempt to make more money. I hope it doesn't hurt our chances for a decent sequel.

IvorB

Its a shitty b tier game with high res textures for 60$. Absolute joke, Activision made the right call aborting this failure of a game. The driving and world are absolute shit. PS2 era world depth and driving

Oh it's not all bad; the soundtrack is exemplary.

stryke

The PS4 version has some odd performance too from what I can see from about an hour of playing. Essentially, any time the player has control of the game, it's running at a solid 60 with no frame drops or screen tearing. Runs wonderfully in these moments. However, almost every cutscene, in game or prerendered, seem to be either struggling to keep that framerate or are just running at a lower frame rate. I honestly don't know what's going on, it's very odd.

I thought other people and the devs have been saying it's 30 fps

I hadn't heard the PS4 version was 60FPS, I assumed it was 30FPS. But more to the point I played the game through on the PC on release and the cut scenes I believe were capped at 30FPS. It was certainly a lower frame rate compared to the gameplay as the game ran at 60FPS for me (bar certain instances when driving). It didn't bother me, but it was just jarring going from smooth in game action, to a cut scene.

randomwab

I thought other people and the devs have been saying it's 30 fps

I hadn't heard the PS4 version was 60FPS, I assumed it was 30FPS. But more to the point I played the game through on the PC on release and the cut scenes I believe were capped at 30FPS. It was certainly a lower frame rate compared to the gameplay as the game ran at 60FPS for me (bar certain instances when driving). It didn't bother me, but it was just jarring going from smooth in game action, to a cut scene.

Sorry, I had a brain fart. Yeah, game is solid 30 in gameplay.

I was interested in this - likely later in the year. Maybe not now.

Who worked on this edition? Outsourced? Someone check the credits!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe this is something that can be fixed via patch?

Theoretically, yes, but it's blindingly clear that Squeenix forced this out the door because it wanted to avoid November. Delaying the release until Q1 would have been wiser -- the period is historically quiet and a few months is a long time in the world of optimisation.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
People pre ordering texture pack editions of old games at full price, that is setting yourself up for getting fucked in so many ways.

To be fair at least they know they like the game or not before buying. I guess noone expected it to be THAT ropey technically for this release.

I'm happy to make do with my original PC release though :) Brilliant game.

Gutted that the "Definitive Edition" isn't up to scratch. I sold the PS3 version shortly after completing it, but soon regretted that decision and have been itching to play the game again since. This new version would've been perfect, but it sounds to me like they shitted it out before GTA V Remastered released so it wouldn't get totally annihilated/ignored. Shame to see such a terrific title treated badly with a shoddy port.

Doomshine

I had no idea there was even a PC version of the Definitive Edition, what does it even add?

Either way, sucks that this game doesn't get better treatment, some of the most fun I had last gen.

Theecliff

Banned
Pretty disappointed about this. I kinda wanted a nice looking and running Sleepy Dawgs on my PS4 but between this and the underwhelming footage we got last week looks like I'm going to wait till it's pretty cheap and some of this shit is fixed.

Krilekk

Banned
Holy goodness, the judder and the framerate drops are completely apparent from the clips you presented. Profound sadness.

I really wanted to replay this on the PS4, but I'd also like to see a complete Digital Foundry breakdown. The screen tearing will bother the hell out of me. What happened here? This certainly is no Tomb Raider :/

Funny. I watched the video three times now and I can't see a single frame drop, slowdown, juddering. Looks like rock solid 30 fps to me.

hwy_61

Banned

oof...that is tuurrble.

BigDug13

Not if your CPU/GPU weren't up to snuff.

I doubt any Laptop level CPU ran this game on top settings.

Laptop level CPU? The i7 and 7970m in my laptop ran it great. Where are you getting this idea that laptop CPU's are all crap?

Did you mean Netbook level CPU?

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Man, I'm glad I picked up the PC version over the PS4 version. One thing I've noticed is that people you are walking with can get stuck on other NPCs. I don't remember that ever happening in the OG PC version.

all good for PC owners but is the PS4 version working properly?

I own an old macbook pro this game was never going to be mine until I got my PS4 already pre-ordered paid on PSN so I hope it will not be as bad as reported here

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

Didn't really notice performance issue in the first clip, but the walking clip holy shit.

Is this game suppose to be 1080P 60FPS on PS4&XBONE?

dose

Its a shitty b tier game with high res textures for 60$. Absolute joke, Activision made the right call aborting this failure of a game. The driving and world are absolute shit. PS2 era world depth and driving
You have no idea what you're on about. Sleeping Dogs is a great game and has received great reviews. What the Xbone and PS4 versions are like is a different matter...

Jachaos

One of my favourite games of 2012. It's too bad they're working on a PC-only game as I don't have a PC, and that this version is not much better.

BigDug13

Didn't really notice performance issue in the first clip, but the walking clip holy shit.

Is this game suppose to be 1080P 60FPS on PS4&XBONE?

No. People need to stop with the 60fps on consoles for open world games. It's simply not happening. Open world games require a ton of grunt to adequately do 60fps without dips. You need hardware capable of playing it at 80fps to ensure you're getting no dips at 60fps. As gorgeous as inFamous looked, it was clocking in the 40's when unlocked with dips, that's why they offered the 30fps lock option which actually makes it better due to removing all dips.

This game is 30fps as the target. Even Ubisoft saying 1080p/60fps was their target for Unity was Ubisoft blowing smoke at you.

Top Bottom