• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bose or Beats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

I just bought Beats Wireless Studio Headphones - White. So sexy. So good.

3201206_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Just super overpriced. Was $400. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're dumb with your money like me.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm not down with the style of Beats full size cans, they're unnecessarily chunky and oversized imo. Give me some relatively discrete HD-25s anyday. That flat cable on the Beats IEMs is dope though.

Tabris

Also Beats has increased their build quality significantly. I had Beats Solo HD and they were built pretty bad. I bought B&W P3 after and better sound quality & build. But these studio headphones are solid and feel good. Much better sound too.

I think Beats does get a bit of bad rep due to their original offerings under Monster. Not the best, but getting better for sound quality / build.

Fusebox

Banned
It's like Dominos vs Pizza Hut but in this case they cost twice as much as the genuinely good pizza places in your area.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My next pair is either going to be Grado or Beyerdynamic. In the $200 range, anyone know which brand has the advantage?

Fusebox

Banned
I'd have Bose noise-cancelling in a second if I flew more than once every few months.

My next pair is either going to be Grado or Beyerdynamic. In the $200 range, anyone know which brand has the advantage?

What kinda sound signature do you like? Grado are super detailed but don't have enough bass for me, Beyers have more bass but maybe at the expense of a bit of soundstage width. You really need to go and try a few pairs on and see what suits.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What kinda sound signature do you like? Grado are super detailed but don't have enough bass for me, Beyers have more bass but maybe at the expense of a bit of soundstage width. You really need to go and try a few pairs on and see what suits.
I figured open ear + low bass would be an issue for me. The Beyer DTs are closed and I've heard great things about the line so I might go in that direction.

I just bought myself the Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Absolutely awesome, couldn't be happier. And the price to performance ratio is brilliant because they're under $200 but perform as good as some headphones in the $350 range. Check out some reviews online, pretty much everyone raves about it.

Tabris

Honestly, this is really a fashion vs functionality thing in my opinion, and it depends on what your priority is.

Do you buy the multi-functional casio watch or do you buy the pilot watch?

Do you buy the comfy levi jeans or the tight Armani jeans?

If you don't care for the fashion / brand element, then no reason to spend a lot of money on the second options there. But I don't get the hate on people who do want to focus on the fashion element.

EDIT - To relay the fashion element, compare these two:

trixx

Alright, I'm going to go head and make some assumptions and give you some recommendations:

If comfort and noise-cancelling is the utmost concern with less of a regard for sound quality and a wireless feature set then go ahead and go with the Bose QC25.

However if you want a really good sounding bluetooth set and aren't really concerned with active noise cancelling check these out:

Sony MDR MK2
AKG K845BT
Sony MDR10BT
Stance S1

If you require both noise-cancelling, wireless connectivity, and good sound quality check these out:

Phiaton Chord MS 530
Parrot Zik

AKG and Stance ones look real stylish, sony ones look ugly though. I wish they went with the timeless design that all the musicians used

If i had to choose between the two I'd probably get Beats Executive just because of the looks, but Im not a fan of either in terms of design.

Fusebox

Banned
Alright, I'm going to go head and make some assumptions and give you some recommendations:

If comfort and noise-cancelling is the utmost concern with less of a regard for sound quality and a wireless feature set then go ahead and go with the Bose QC25.

However if you want a really good sounding bluetooth set and aren't really concerned with active noise cancelling check these out:

Sony MDR MK2
AKG K845BT
Sony MDR10BT
Stance S1

Hmm, at a quick glance the Pendulumics are the only cans on that list that support aptx Bluetooth. That can't be right. I'd like to know more about Sonys NFC option too. Non-aptx Bluetooth is just ugh for streaming audio.

Moofers

I love my Turtle Beach headphones for gaming. What's the GAF consensus on those? Won't change my opinion either way, just curious.

terrible

Banned
Personally, I don't like the Sennheiser sound, but lots of people do. I prefer Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic (my DT 880s are my favorite headphones of all).

Bose and Beats are both horribly overpriced (the quality isn't awful, but the price/performance ratio totally is). The only reason you should ever consider Bose is if you need active noise-canceling cans (they still make the best), and unless your whole goal is to show off those ugly 'b's on the side of the cups, there's no sane reason to ever buy Beats.

I felt the same until I gave a pair of HD600s and HD650s a very extended audition (borrowed them). I ended up buying a pair of HD650s and have barely used my DT880s since. A lot of my music collection has been mastered pretty poorly and the Sennheisers play nicer with it.

Deadstar

I'm really glad I found the Headphone OT here. Des and others convinced me to get Audio Technica M50's and I couldn't be happier with them. I'm probably an audio technica guy for life now.

So question, I got the M50's and I feel like my head is being crushed. Do these loosen over time? My previous pair of headphones are maybe 4 inches apart when laying on the table. The m50's are clasped together.

Beats look like shit. I'm not sure why people enjoy the design. I really don't see the appeal. I choose Bose just in terms of audio quality.

I currently use a pair of Shure SRH840s after replacing my old Senheiser 280s that I had for 8 years. Both pairs have been amazing workhorses for me and sound quality is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom