• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You "Accidentally" Finished.

collige

Banned
Dark Souls 2. It was a huge surprise to me for the path to the final boss to just be behind a random locked door in a castle.

I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to platformers in general, so while playing Super Mario Galaxy I wouldn't move on to the next level until I got all the stars. What I didn't realise was that in order to unlock the final boss, I didn't need to complete all the levels, I just needed to collect a certain amount of stars, so halfway through the game I already found myself fighting the final boss. The funny thing is, once I beat him, I couldn't be arsed returning to it afterwards, so I essentially completed the game while simultaneously missing out on half of what it had to offer. But at the end of the day, I just wasn't enjoying it all that much.

Fbh

Infamous Second Son.

I just wasn't expecting it to be that short and I hoped the percentage in your save file was how much of the story (and not the whole game) you had played.

So I still had a few enemy bases left to destroy but decided to play "the next main mission" first......and then BAM! Final boss, cutscene and credits

Anteater

dark souls, didn't really follow the story and I was drunk in that last area, which I remember felt pretty linear and small, killed the boss which was a really basic boss fight and then the credits scroll...

Jabraham

The Witcher 2.
Don't know why but i got it into my head that there was a fourth chapter, so I was completely blindsided by the fact it ends after three. It took me a while to realise how good the game was after that.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Fable 3 and the deceptively paced countdown. Didn't bother me to much because of the way I paced myself and had my finances built up, but man... my friend is still pissed off about that.

Randam

You'd think it would be obvious, since you do have to call a helicopter for extraction.

For me, it's the first zone of the Enders. Throughout the game, characters kept referencing mars. I just assumed It was building up to something. Alas, the game ended quite abruptly, and I had been saving up ammo for all the special weapons in anticipation of an epic boss battle.

Thankfully, the second game was absolutely amazing. Still waiting on #3.
Oh yes, zoe 1 was really short.
Felt the same.

Burial at sea episode 1

You get to explore rapture before the fall, so I thought the dlc might be a tad longer than it actually was. was only 2 hours in and progressed the story and then BAM, it ends abruptly

deathday

Neo Member
Crysis 3. I was playing it in pretty short sessions over couple months. I thought the "boss battle" was just some regular midgame level.

Same thing happened to me with Crysis 2. I guess Crytek isn't big on traditional boss battles.

Wasp

The Last of Us

I had read that shortly before the end there is a big battle with two bloaters, so right up until the credits rolled I was thinking "this can't be the end, I haven't had the battle with the two bloaters yet".

Turns out my game bugged and the two bloaters never spawned for me, which is a shame as I had been saving all my flamethrower fuel specifically for them, so I never used the flamethrower once.

MJLord

Destiny. I finished the last mission just as clueless as when I started. I didn't even know, I finished it then went to do the next one but it was done.

Same. Suddenly I was standing there with some guy giving me a big speech. And then: story completed. Destiny has such a wierd pacing.

It definitely felt hacked to bits.

carlo6529

Kings Field. Can't remember if it was king's field 1 or 2, but I found a dragon while exploring and killed it. Turns out it was the last boss....

Coulis

Neo Member
Soul Reaver 1 : "Oh, Kain just went through the chronoportal, time to finish this !" "Wait who is this Moebius guy ?" *To be continued*
It was brutal for my 12 years old self.

Divinity original sin, didn't really know that the last boss was such til the fight started,
or there was no playing more afterwards but that's silly of me to think of a new game plus

Shadow Complex.

You're just wandering around and BOOM final boss enemy gunship. It's not even an interesting fight.

Nobody talks about how underwelming the finale of that game is but the journey is pretty incredible.

Vintage

Dishonored

The ending level was so anticlimactic and there wasn't any final fight or whatever at the end, the game just ended after you awkwardly push a dude from a ledge. Marauder Shields was a better final enemy than him.

dark souls, didn't really follow the story and I was drunk in that last area, which I remember felt pretty linear and small, killed the boss which was a really basic boss fight and then the credits scroll...

I found the low key endings to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 ok, but I want another King Allant end stretch like Demon's Souls 1-4 for Bloodborne.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Skyward Sword but for a different reason.

I was facing against
Demise
and and I was trying to deliver the final blow but he kept dodging my attack until I accidentally hit him.

Turns out to attack him you're suppose to use the skyward strike to get the lighting to hit your sword and use it stun him but I was too stubborn to do that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've spent the whole of Final Fantasy XII waiting for the story to start and before I even knew it, I had finished the game.
Yeah? I found FF12 to have one of the smartest, most satisfying stories I've ever encountered in a game.

pokemon red. I had no idea what I was doing really at the time. I had no idea how to get flash. I went into the dark cave. Made it out somehow without flash. I though it was just another dungeon. Never struck me as a particulary big problem but when I think about it I have no idea how I get through and I'm sure I wouldn't have the patience to try for 5 min these days

Civilization 3. On my first playthrough I didn't know about the cultural victory so just as I was preparing my war engine to smash my rivals bang cultural win. :(

I keep that shit switched off these days.

mrlion

Chrono Trigger
one of the endings is to kill Lavos after Frog gets the Masamune but before defeating Magus in 600 AD. Its the soonest ending without using the telepod. Its also kinda lame as Frog defeats Magus on his own and didn't feel a deeper emotion than the actual story.

Mexen

I suppose Call of Duty: Modern Warfare gets an honorary mention. Did not expect that ending. Started the campaign in the morning and right before lunch, I thought... Just this mission and I'll eat. Credits.

Ervik

Neo Member
Fallout 3 and Rage.

The ending to Rage really came out of nowhere.

Oh... and My Sims Agents for the Wii.

Diddy Kong Racing.
Basically, I dropped the cartridge... then when I put the game on the console... everything was unlock. Don't ask me what happened, I don't know either.

Piers

Super Smash Bros Brawl's Adventure mode. I ended up spending about 10 hours on that game in one day. D:
Also: One Piece Unlimited World RED's colosseum mode. More specifically, was trying the game at my friend's place and, sooner than we thought, we were at the final battle.

Luigi87

The first golden sun for me. The game is constantly talking about doing 4 things but after 2 the game just ends. Really pissed me off as a kid.

Good answer here. I was shocked when the credits started.

Also like others Dark Souls II is the most recent for me.

EGM1966

Rage. You think you're on the first mission of the final third of the game. You'll progress in the City and take down the bad guys. You press a button and... You're done.

Travo

Twilight Princess. I was misled and expected more dungeons after the final one. I guess the game had enough dungeons and content but based on what I was told from multiple sources I was sitting there thinking, "this can't be it, is this really, oh that was really it."

Really? Didn't that game have more dungeons than any other Zelda? At least twice as many as Windwaker.

Top Bottom