• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man walks across GTA 5 map for charity

mocoworm

He has raised $15,000 so far :)

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/man-walks-across-gta-5-map-for-charity/ar-AA6L59v

Charity marathons usually involve a lot of sweat, hard work and blisters, but not for one runner, who simply pushed the control stick forwards until he reached the limits of GTA V's Los Santos.

Charity marathons usually involve a lot of sweat, hard work and blisters, but not for one runner, who simply pushed the control stick forwards until he reached the limits of GTA V's Los Santos.

Super Meat Boy co-creator Tommy Refenes live-streamed the marathon on Twitch, using it to help fund a campaign to buy his diabetic mum an alert dog.

While not particularly gruelling, the walk must certainly have been very boring, with it taking him six hours to walk the length of Los Santos on foot.

With donations flooding in, Tommy also walked the maps of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which took him two hours and nine minutes and four hours and 19 minutes respectively.

"My mom, Kim Refenes, needs help controlling her type 1 diabetes, she's having extreme difficulty doing it herself," the YouCaring campaign reads.

"A diabetic medical alert dog can save my mom's life. Please help us save her life."

Refenes has now reached the $15,000 goal, promising to put any further donations towards getting a dog for a child who is in the same boat as his mother.

antitrop

The most interesting thing was how long it took him for each game (he also did Red Dead Redemption and San Andreas).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Great news that he's managed to raise the money he needed to help his mother, glad that he's helping to raise money to help others too. Must have been a weird day walking through all those games.

Tenck

The most interesting thing was how long it took him for each game.

That's what caught my attention immediately.

Cool way to make money though. Hope he gets the funding for the dog, and would be even better if he got enough to help out the child too.

Damn that's crazy. He should do Skyrim next. Or even the earlier Elder Scrolls games which are humongous.

I also read up on what diabetic alert dogs do. Sounds amazing. Service dogs are simply incredible.

Donos

Damn that's crazy. He should do Skyrim next. Or even the earlier Elder Scrolls games which are humongous.

I also read up on what diabetic alert dogs do. Sounds amazing. Service dogs are simply incredible.

A size comparison between Skyrim and GTA V would be interesting.

This is fantastic. But I really assumed that the Meatboy creators were quite well off at this point.. shocked to see him having to raise donations to pay for the alert dog.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is he staying on sidewalks? Does he stop at intersections and wait for his time to cross? What are the rules for this challenge?

Wait, six hour to walk around the entire map of GTA V? Surely that can't be right. I would have thought it would be way less than 6 hours.

SJRB

Gold Member
Reporting on this Twitch livestream charity event when the entire thing is already over is kind of useless, isn't it?

Would've loved to see it live.

Nzyme32

I think it would be more fun, as a stream, to calculate the distance or steps required while running to traverse the full map and then actually do that via a treadmill or out doors. At least I'd be more inclined to interact. With a game, I can hardly be motivating towards a guy holding a stick forward, whereas I could be more beneficial to someone pushing their limits physically and mentally. Either way, it's great to see donations rolling in for what the guy is doing. Props!

Surprising how much bigger the GTA 5 map is compared to RDR.

A lot of it comes down to the mode of transport. RDR has a relatively small map by hard geography but because your mode of transport is typically a horse and in GTA5 you can drive a sports car (and GTA5 has a very logical street layout compared to RDR's winding horse paths), RDR seems larger but is a good deal smaller.

I guess I could watch an archive of the stream, but I wonder if he stuck only to paths on RDR. If you stick to paths in RDR or streets in GTA:SA, I'd wager it would take much longer... probably 2x longer.

This is fantastic. But I really assumed that the Meatboy creators were quite well off at this point.. shocked to see him having to raise donations to pay for the alert dog.

It was a single game 4 year ago tentively split between 3 people(tommy, edmond and danny, who composed the music). It's not hard to imagine that a single member doesn’t have $15k he can easily spare at this point, especially since tommy hasn't been involved in any releases since SMb

When the PC version comes out, someone should hook a real life treadmill to a PC and tie the speed to walk speed in the game, might be interesting and would get tons of views.

Duxxy3

It was a single game 4 year ago tentively split between 3 people(tommy, edmond and danny, who composed the music). It's not hard to imagine that a single member doesn’t have $15k he can easily spare at this point, especially since tommy hasn't been involved in any releases since SMb

Q. Aren't you rich? Can't you just pay for her dog without asking for money? A. This question has two answers: I didn't start the fundraiser, my sister did. I'm just helping promote it by doing stupid shit on Twitch. I help my family out as much as I can...to the tune of probably 2 or 3 really nice Hondas per year. So, if the fundraiser doesn't meet its goals, I will pick up the slack. I'm also picking up any tax liabilities and unexpected charges that come up.

He has it.

I don't understand the dog thing. I am guessing he barks if she gets hypoglycemic and faints. Or maybe the dog buries high-card food in the back yard?

edit - Read the link now. I still think it would be cool if it hid/buried stuff

He'd have to do a whole lot of swimming..

I don't think there's an edge to Just Cause 2's map. I spent almost 10 minutes flying a commercial airliner away from the island, and it took a long time to get back swimming and then by boat. Seems like the game keeps track of the distance you go, but there's nothing out there.

Top Bottom