• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Story Not About Jeans

Malyse

Imagine you’re a mostly average guy who needs to buy some jeans. So you go into the store of a company that’s known to make high-quality jeans, because you want to spend your money on quality things.

You go in and look for jeans in your size, but they don’t seem to have any. You think of yourself as average — most guys you know are about your height and build — but according to this store, you’re not. They don’t seem to have anything on the shelf that fits you. You look around the store and suddenly you notice all the posters of young shirtless men wearing the company’s jeans, their zippers open to reveal just a hint of junk with no underwear. This is not what you look like, and you suddenly feel a little self-conscious.

So you ask the sales clerk about it. She barely gives you any acknowledgement and dismisses your question. “We don’t carry that size because it doesn’t sell,” she says. But that can’t be right, you think. Most of the guys you know are built like you. Surely there’s a lot of guys out there who’d love to buy these well-made jeans? The salesclerk looks you up and down, then looks at the posters on the wall with a lascivious smile. “Sorry, dude,” she says, “but that’s what the ladies want to see. Can’t help it if you don’t look like that.”

You walk out of the store feeling a little annoyed, maybe even angry. These are well-made jeans, and you want to spend your money on quality goods. You have money to spend, and you know a lot of other guys who do, too, and would gladly buy some jeans from this company. And you can’t really believe the blatantly derogatory response you got from the salesclerk.

You look online at other options and there’s really not much to choose from at all. So you go online and vent a little. “Why doesn’t this company make jeans in my size? Why do I have to look like the guys on the posters there to own quality pants?” You write.

Within minutes, you get some responses.

“Um, why don’t you go fucking make your own jeans?”

“Shut up and make jeans.”

“No one’s stopping you from making the jeans you want. And if people like them, they’ll sell, problem solved.”

Well, that’s kind of a weird response, you think. I mean, sure you could go out and buy a sewing machine and learn to use it, and buy a bunch of fabric and a bunch of books on how to sew and eventually — years from now, because you already have a job — make your own, and some people would surely choose to do that. But that’s not the point, is it? The point is that you’re a potential customer of this company and they don’t seem interested in your business for some reason. They make well-made jeans, and you want to buy jeans. If you could just show them that you have money—

“So every company is supposed to cater to your whims now? I guess they’re supposed to stop making the jeans I like and only make jeans YOU like now?”

“You and your social justice friends just want to censor the jeans I’m buying.”

Wait, what? How does that even make sense? You think. Why can’t the company just make jeans for lots of different types of people? I mean, censorship? Really? They wouldn’t stop making the jeans they’re already making, they’d just make MORE kinds—

“Sorry, buddy, but that’s just business. That’s what sells. Guess it sucks that you’re a fat loser.”

Whoa, why is this suddenly getting personal? You’re instantly reminded of how it felt when the salesclerk looked you up and down like meat and decided that you weren’t attractive enough for their product.

“Fuck you and your jeans agenda. I hope you get raped and your throat slashed.”

“I hope your wife and kids get murdered while you watch.”

WHAT?! I just want to buy some GOOD QUALITY FUCKING JEANS, you reply. What is the fucking problem with this? Why is it SO HARD to understand this concept?! Why is this so personal? It’s JUST JEANS. I want MORE KINDS of jeans, NOT LESS. JESUS CHRIST, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

And then: “You know, if you weren’t so angry, maybe people would listen to you.”

You pick up your computer and smash it against the wall and swear off wearing jeans ever again.

Sounds ridiculous? This is what people of color, women, and those who are LGBTQ who enjoy games go through all the time when they dare to say one word of commentary about what they want to spend their money on.

https://medium.com/@hellchick/a-story-not-about-jeans-59255db8cb5e

I get it... it's an allegory of the average gamer. Finding a good pair of jeans is like tryina find a game that speaks to you. Or something.

Or did I get it wrong?

Malyse

I get it... it's an allegory of the average gamer. Finding a good pair of jeans is like tryina find a game that speaks to you. Or something.

Or did I get it wrong?

Point is that white dude is both the default for characters and audience and there's a whole hell of a lot more than that interested in playing video games.
the best allegories tell you that it's an allegory

We gonna pretend people ain't thick enough to miss the point?

BHK3

Banned
I was gelling with it until the very end, doesn't really feel like it's the same thing at that point but hey, A for effort.

Point is that white dude is both the default for characters and audience and there's a whole hell of a lot more than that interested in playing video games.

Oh... I missed the descriptions about race. I guess it was more of the Hemmingway / Ice Berg Theory type of literature.

I think race is a touchy subject and I don't really have the ammo to convey my nuanced feelings on it.

Gestault

I understand the metaphor, and I think it'll be very helpful to some, but the comparison of what amounts to a commodity with a creative work will probably raise some eyebrows for some. Being told "make your own" does have its place in something like entertainment, where it would deserve a very curt response to it for like...bread or pants. This said, when the "sub group" constitutes more than half the population, it's less of a retort. There's more variety out there in games than this lets on, but it's a necessary illustration.

The "what sells" answer is a result of a market being pandered to. I'm technically in the group being marketed to, and even I don't like it most of the time. I hope people think about this more than letting an initial tendency to pick it apart take hold. I sort of caught myself dissecting it. Not unfairly, but to unfruitful ends.

RMI

Banned
Thanks for reminding me that I have a hard time finding jeans that fit properly with my build :-/ This story works in a way.

Being told "make your own" does have its place in something like entertainment, where it would deserve a very curt response to it for like...bread or pants. T

It's actually pretty trivial to make your own bread. :)

I understand the metaphor, and I think it'll be very helpful to some, but the comparison of what amounts to a commodity with a creative work will probably raise some eyebrows for some. Being told "make your own" does have its place in something like entertainment, where it would deserve a very curt response to it for like...bread or pants. This said, when the "sub group" constitutes more than half the population, it's less of a retort. There's more variety out there in games than this lets on, but it's a necessary illustration.

The "what sells" answer is a result of a market being pandered to. I'm technically in the group being marketed to, and even I don't like it most of the time. I hope people think about this more than letting an initial tendency to pick it apart take hold. I sort of caught myself dissecting it. Not unfairly, but to unfruitful ends.
I disagree. Pants are a commodity, but some specific, particularly well-made jeans are a good enough allegory for something that isnt a commodity.

I think its actually a bit softball because not being able to buy jeans in one store is not something you'd take as seriously as a whole entertainment ndustry mostly ignoring you.

Now, if you're a guy with a waist larger than 42", you'll hardly find anywhere with big enough jeans, and when you do find them they usually arent the desirable kind but are often unfashionable or cheap (think Wranglers at Wal-Mart). Similarly in games, the more inclusive games are rarely the big budget, polished ones that the most people want to play. Finding a game that "fits" you as a minority and is also one of the best experiences available is a very happy coincidence. Thats a pretty good allegory I think. But then somene will say you can lose weight....

Malyse

I think race is a touchy subject and I don't really have the ammo to convey my nuanced feelings on it.

Actually it's real simple. Three question simple.

Whats the racial breakdown of protagonists of games?
Whats the racial breakdown of game players?
Do they remotely match?

espher

I'm pretty sure I'm a guy of the average size for my region (which is to say a fatty) and I can't find pants or shirts that fit me in 90% of the stores here.

:(

tokkun

Problem with this allegory is that is exactly the kind of abuse you would actually get if you complained about not being able to find big enough jeans on a public forum. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realized the author had intended it to sound absurd.

As someone who thoroughly and fullheartedly supports equal representation and good minority/gender writing in games, this is a really bad allegory. =/

I'm sorry. There is not one person who did not get the arguments that are made that will now thanks to this.

Jeans aren't the only pants in the world. Sometimes it helps to broaden your horizons. There are all kinds of games out there. I personally like the mystery approach to sexuality. I don't care if the hero in a game is a guy/girl/alien/tg or straight, bi, or gay or even asexual. I'd rather focus more on them saving the world. I grew up playing telnet text games and people would rp whatever they wanted it. If some games cater to certain audiences fine, me personally I'd rather not know.

Malyse

Jeans aren't the only pants in the world. Sometimes it helps to broaden your horizons. There are all kinds of games out there. I personally like the mystery approach to sexuality. I don't care if the hero in a game is a guy/girl/alien/tg or straight, bi, or gay or even asexual. I'd rather focus more on them saving the world. I grew up playing telnet text games and people would rp whatever they wanted it. If some games cater to certain audiences fine, me personally I'd rather not know.

So basically, since you don't care, why should I?

Gestault

Do they remotely match?

To be fair, even a theoretical mono-culture would benefit from entertainment with broad cultural influences. Skin color isn't as important as presenting characters with different cultural backgrounds and sensibilities, and just matching up with a population isn't the answer, if the goal is more human games. When we get into a sort of structured checklist of representation, it's a superficial way of assessing what's out there. In a really jaded sense, it would be incredibly easy for an industry to "address" this by just adjusting a few character sliders without actually solving what we're concerned about

Good to know that, apparently, although I am a really nice guy who goes out of my way to help people on a daily basis, I'm the bad guy, based on an extra chromosome and my skin color. :(

Malyse

To be fair, even a theoretical mono-culture would benefit from entertainment with broad cultural influences. Skin color isn't as important as presenting characters with different cultural backgrounds and sensibilities, and just matching up with a population isn't the answer, if the goal is more human games. When we get into a sort of structured checklist of representation, it's a superficial way of assessing what's out there. In a really jaded sense, it would be incredibly easy for an industry to "address" this by just adjusting a few character sliders without actually solving what we're concerned about

I don't disagree, but I'm just saying that we need to start somewhere.

Let's agree that every character being a white dude is fucking ridiculous.

In a really jaded sense, it would be incredibly easy for an industry to "address" this by just adjusting a few character sliders without actually solving what we're concerned aboutt
It's so easy yet some developers can't even be bothered to do that, the bare minimum. Look at the news for the new Pokemon game and it's removal of skin tones. This is coming a company who can totally afford doing something as simple as this for it's worldwide multicultural fanbase but have chosen not to. It's mindboggling.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What a terrible analogy. Just like most analogies, I suppose.

Physically not being able to fit into a pair of jeans is very different than choosing not to play a video game because it turns you off or you feel like you aren't being represented.

Asking for a jeans manufacturer to offer more varied sizes is also very different to asking game creators to change the content of a game so that it appeals to you and makes you feel better represented.

Just a garbage analogy all around.

Not every character is. I understand that this may be the case for the vast majority of mainstream games, but there are plenty of examples where it's not true. Why not spend more effort giving those games attention and praise instead of screaming at mainstream game publishers to change their ways? They will not do so until they are convinced that it would be a financially wise decision.

Gestault

Fair enough. And to take my own point to an extreme, even wonderfully human characterizations presented only through one subset of the population would be problematic in its own ways, if it's being presented to a wider audience.

Malyse

Good to know that, apparently, although I am a really nice guy who goes out of my way to help people on a daily basis, I'm the bad guy, based on an extra chromosome and my skin color. :(

Yes, that's exactly what's happening here, well done sir.

Please take your straw man with you when you go looking for that point you missed.

I'm pretty sure I'm a guy of the average size for my region (which is to say a fatty) and I can't find pants or shirts that fit me in 90% of the stores here.

:(

This gonna be one of those threads where the first thirty or so posts miss the point, isn't it?

So it seems.

harSon

Banned

Ugh.

It's critical of those that are a part of the normative majority who go out of their way to criticize, reject, ridicule and deny the fact that people who are not a part of that classification are adversely effected as the normative majority is disproportionately catered too.

Sentenza

Do they remotely match?
What if the answer is "Yes"?
Genuine question, since I have genuinely no idea of what's the actual breakdown.

That said, as far as I'm concerned more diversity in terms of gender and ethnicity would be absolutely welcome even in a hypothetical scenario with an audience made by a 100% of white people.

Incredibly terrible false equivalence. Jeans are marketed towards both men and women, whereas video games for a long while have (for the most part) just been marketed toward boys/men. Also: A lot of clothing ads for men and women actually do feature only very attractive people. Good luck buying a pair of boxer briefs with a skinnyfat dude on the front, nah.

A better comparison would be between video games and a hobby that has been seen in the past as a primarily female hobby.

Gestault

The power-cord around my waist says "These jeans fit me fine."

ma-31824080-WEB.jpg

Malyse

What if the answer is "Yes"?
Genuine question, since I have genuinely no idea of what's the actual breakdown.

That said, as far as I'm concerned more diversity in terms of gender and ethnicity would be absolutely welcome even in a hypothetical scenario with an audience made by a 100% of white people.

Its not. Mostly blacks and Hispanics as of last study.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A better comparison would be between video games and a hobby that has been seen in the past as a primarily female hobby.

The best way to get your point across would be to just explain your point.

I find that analogies are almost never appropriate and almost always turns into a "that analogy sucks" discussion instead of talking about the actual point that was intended.

Its not. Mostly blacks and Hispanics as of last study.

A link would be helpful in situations like this.

Lunar15

You go on forums and say awful things to people? Because that's more or less the driving force of antagonism here.

Just don't immediately dismiss other view points than your own, and then you won't be a bad guy.

udivision

Really?

You really want me to drown you in links to why representation matters?

Naw, you can easily Google that. you're not even trying

Yes, they should.

My gut says "Yes, of course," and I think to everyone that's the obvious answer. When groups are underrepresented, it's natural to seek to be more inclusive.

I guess my problem is that it's not actually a universal way to look at things. No one really cares that the difference racial make-up of different sports leagues don't accurately match the country's make up. There's been effort over the year to actually solve the issue of the over-representation of Blacks in the military (I think at at point it was 20%) and now it's around the actual percentage of the total population. But when you have a bunch of cultures living together, I feel like it's a bit naive to expect to appeal to them all in the same level, and sometimes, having those numbers may not even mean much. I don't know if I'm articulating it well, but I'm not saying representation is not important.

Malyse

Incredibly terrible false equivalence. Jeans are marketed towards both men and women, whereas video games for a long while have (for the most part) just been marketed toward boys/men. Also: A lot of clothing ads for men and women actually do feature only very attractive people. Good luck buying a pair of boxer briefs with a skinnyfat dude on the front, nah.

You missed the part where it's suppose to be ridiculous. Because it's completely fucking ridiculous.

The best way to get your point across would be to just explain your point.

I find that analogies are almost never appropriate and almost always turns into a "that analogy sucks" discussion instead of talking about the actual point that was intended.

Well the idea behind the article is that the author is trying to get men to walk in her shoes so that they may better relate to her. The only problem is that the story she presents is not one men can relate to. The story presented does not reverberate the way she wants it to and because of that, it isn't effective.
You missed the part where it's suppose to be ridiculous. Because it's completely fucking ridiculous.
So it's supposed to be a bad, unrelatable story?

Top Bottom