• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 10-14-2014 |

RE_Player

While I'm sure that Ubisoft insider was telling the truth in terms of the technical aspect of the game I didn't appreciate how over half of it was basically an ad for Unity. If you are emailing in anonymously no point in trying to impress the higher ups that will likely fire people after the game ships.

Balb

Someone please time stamp the Destiny talk during the GOTY podcasts that way I don't have to skip the whole thing.

I might be in the same boat. We all know how that conversation is going to play out and it'll likely be drawn out. I don't mind that they talk about it that much but I'd rather listen to them talk about other stuff at this point.

RE_Player

Destiny will be 2014's Mass Effect 3 in that Brad will force it to be on the top 10 list despite it also appearing in the most dissapointing category. I'm so looking forward to Jeff and Brad going at it.

Bsigg12

So will Vinny, Patrick and Alex be flying out to San Francisco for GOTY talks? Last year Alex was on Skype which made him entering the conversations a little odd and now with 3 people across the country, bringing all of them in almost seems like a necessity.

sixghost

I might be in the same boat. We all know how that conversation is going to play out and it'll likely be drawn out. I don't mind that they talk about it that much but I'd rather listen to them talk about other stuff at this point.

It's worth listening to. It's mostly Jeff's view on the game this time.

Talon

I see that Brad has become the new DotA...except Jeff actually lets him talk about it for an hour each week. :|

RE_Player

At this point, I'm hoping Destiny is on the GB Top 10 list and a GAF favorite, just for the reaction.
Despite me not liking Destiny and thinking it is quite possibly the most disapppointing game in the last decade I can see why people would enjoy playing it.

Watch Dogs on the other hand...

danm999

If you had told me 12 months ago that all the "stop talking about DOTA" complaints would be replaced by "stop talking about Desiny", I wouldn't ever have believed you.

shwimpy

LOL @ that last segment. Man, I'm so juvenile.

Anyway, pretty so-so podcast this week. I feel like the conversation was way too Jeff/Brad dominant, much more so than usual. Jason rarely got to talk. :(

And man, all this Destiny talk since the game came out has really lessened my excitement for the GOTY podcasts. I've played about 80 hours of the game and I've gotten to the point where I'm just completely sick of seeing and hearing about it. I feel like it's literally gonna be only Jeff and Brad arguing hours upon hours about this game in every category the game sees fit and that super bums me out.
Vinny probably won't because of his housing situation but Patrick and Alex may show up. Vinny, Patrick and Alex could also have some sort of GBeast GOTY thing.
I would actually be in favor of that.

fleck0

So will Vinny, Patrick and Alex be flying out to San Francisco for GOTY talks? Last year Alex was on Skype which made him entering the conversations a little odd and now with 3 people across the country, bringing all of them in almost seems like a necessity.

Vinny probably won't because of his housing situation but Patrick and Alex may show up. Vinny, Patrick and Alex could also have some sort of GBeast GOTY thing.

Talon

If you had told me 12 months ago that all the "stop talking about DOTA" complaints would be replaced by "stop talking about Desiny", I wouldn't ever have believed you.
It's worse than DOTA because the Destiny talk is the exact same fucking conversation three episodes in a row.

Brad's leaving.

TxdoHawk

I don't think Brad's tastes are ever going to make everyone happy, and that's fine. He's obviously a guy that likes to really get hooked into one particular game at a time, which might be annoying to some...but I think his focused passion for gaming is a good dynamic to have in the group, since you don't really see that with the rest of the crew.

danm999

It's worse than DOTA because the Destiny talk is the exact same fucking conversation three episodes in a row.

Brad's leaving.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on that aspect of it, I don't mind the Destiny or the DOTA talk despite not being particularly interested in either game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think Brad's tastes are ever going to make everyone happy, and that's fine. He's obviously a guy that likes to really get hooked into one particular game at a time, which might be annoying to some...but I think his focused passion for gaming is a good dynamic to have in the group, since you don't really see that with the rest of the crew.

I think that's fine, but you don't have to bring it up for so long.

I don't even think DOTA 2 got this much focused talk. It quickly dropped to 10 or so minutes of brad talking about his week of DOTA 2 or some weird thing happening in the scene. Better than every fucking week of jeff and brad arguing about destiny with brad going "I agree with you but I still like the game" for 30-50 minutes. Not really compelling discussion.

I am downloading it now.

I need to know though, how much of this 2 hours and 41 minutes is about Destiny.

Depending on what the answer is will change how I prioritize listening to this.

I think that's fine, but you don't have to bring it up for so long.

I don't even think DOTA 2 got this much focused talk. It quickly dropped to 10 or so minutes of brad talking about his week of DOTA 2 or some weird thing happening in the scene. Better than every fucking week of jeff and brad arguing about destiny with brad going "I agree with you but I still like the game". Not really compelling discussion.

I think it's pretty simple. Jeff is playing the game too, so there can be a discussion, even if it's the same one as every other week. Meanwhile, when it was Brad, he could just say, DOTA 2, and since nobody else was playing it, there wasn't much to be mined from that conversation.

In other words, we need Jeff to stop playing Destiny to end this horror show. :)

Fox318

I think it's good that brad can get deep into a game.

Most of the people have covered games for so long that they can't get into it like a normal person would.

I'm not surprised that brad loves destiny after falling into the dota trap. There's probably a while market of people willing to play games that waste their time like that.

I think that's sorta where the WoW audience has gone. Into Dota and other mobas etc

He has to able to distance himself from his own tastes if he wants to be a good host. These last two podcasts have been pretty self-indulgent.

Balb

I'm not surprised that brad loves destiny after falling into the dota trap. There's probably a while market of people willing to play games that waste their time like that.

I think that's sorta where the WoW audience has gone. Into Dota and other mobas etc

While they may seem like the same kinds of games on the outside I wouldn't group Destiny and WoW with mobas. Mobas are competitive multiplayer games, not grindfests.

Vire

While they may seem like the same kinds of games on the outside I wouldn't group Destiny and WoW with mobas. Mobas are competitive multiplayer games, not grindfests.

Hahahaha, good one.

Tell that to the millions of people grinding for the free heroes in every MOBA.

Talon

Completely different kinds of games. Destiny is a content-constrained grindfest.

DOTA is a mechanically pure multiplayer game.

Brashnir

Yeah, the only connection I can see is some slot machine effect in the way DOTA hands out hats after matches, but those hooks aren't in the game itself.

Hahahaha, good one.

Tell that to the millions of people grinding for the free heroes in every MOBA.

There is no such thing in DOTA 2.

Danomeon

Neo Member
While they may seem like the same kinds of games on the outside I wouldn't group Destiny and WoW with mobas.

I wouldn't even group Destiny and WoW.

WoW has massive zones, a plethora of dungeons, and a ton of raid bosses on a variety of difficulties. Their next expansion is even removing the necessity of the daily grind that plagues Destiny. I'd argue Destiny almost seems archaic in the MMO-type game: the genre is moving past the grindy days of yore.

Dany

Banned
I LOVE LOVE LOVE how Jeff is poking at Brad about destiny being the worst and most disapointing game of 2014.

I can't wait for GOTY podcasts
AU7Amsc.gif

inky

Destiny will be 2014's Mass Effect 3 in that Brad will force it to be on the top 10 list despite it also appearing in the most dissapointing category. I'm so looking forward to Jeff and Brad going at it.

The Mass Effect 3 filibuster was really bad. The Skyrim one was the worst, but ME3 top 10 discussion was still terrible to listen to. Brad created this narrative for himself that the version of the game he played was so different and improved, but it really wasn't. Everyone else had the sense to realize the DLC wasn't really anything more than panic retcons and fan-service, but I think Vinny was the only one who really had something to say about it, but didn't really care that much in the end.

Can't wait to listen how Brad gonna Brad this year either way =D It's tradition at this point, as infuriating as it sometimes might be.

Are you guys just shit talking destiny because you played it and disliked it? Or because Jeff? Seriously odd reading its quality or lack thereof become some sort of meme here. Why is it weird that brad enjoys it? Lots of people are enjoying it.. This comes off as mass trolling to me. Sorry I'm drunkish.

Brashnir

Are you guys just shit talking destiny because you played it and disliked it? Or because Jeff? Seriously odd reading its quality or lack thereof become some sort of meme here. Why is it weird that brad enjoys it? Lots of people are enjoying it.. This comes off as mass trolling to me. Sorry I'm drunkish.

Lots of people like lots of terrible things. This is why they keep making Transformers movies.

Brad agrees that material gathering almost broke him.

Jeff dislikes many things.

Many, many people were burned by Destiny.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

No, I'm just sick of hearing it, and the 1/2 hour < discussions that dominated the recent bombcasts. I won't even mind it if brad just spends 10 minutes talking about the recent things he did in destiny, but he somehow finds a way to make it 1/3 of the stuff talked about.

It's ok that people don't like the thing you like. It doesn't make you any less of a person. Stop thinking that people have to like the thing you like.

Danomeon

Neo Member

You can look back in my post history for the proof, I've actively played and participated in the content of Destiny all the way up to the hard mode raid. I enjoy that game.

My main issue is that, after clearing everything it has to offer, I'm left looking back and realizing that a lot of my time spent with it was just repeating old content or doing something I didn't want to do solely for the loot. Sure, I put plenty of hours into its campaign so I could get the daily heroic mission done, but none of those missions ever have any setpieces or interesting content. Outside of the raid and the crucible, so much of the content is just the same rote enemy wave encounter over and over again.

It's just a big disappointment considering everything that game could have been, and everything a new Bungie game deserves to be. I want a better PvP experience in a Bungie shooter, with more modes and more features. I want a better campaign in a Bungie shooter, with more epic set pieces and a more cohesive story. I guess I'm just bummed that, after all my excitement, I'm bored of the game after only a month.

Top Bottom