• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Get Away with Murder |OT| It's a TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like this show season 1 only getting 15 episode ? will be bumped to 22 ? a full season
The reason is that Viola Davis requested a limited run so that she could have the flexibility to pursue film projects.

Considering how bloated shows like Grey's Anatomy and Scandal get, the shorter the better as far as I'm concerned.

meow

Oh my god, this show is bad. And not in a "so bad it's good" way, just flat out bad. I couldn't get past the pilot.

mdubs

Banned
I've watched the first two episodes and this show is just bad for a number of reasons. First, this show was suggested to me because I'm a law student, and I know I'm a square for doing this but I just can't get past how laughably unrealistic the entire school portions of the show are (not to mention the murders or the fact everyone is sleeping with everyone.). The first episode was a mess and tried to do way too much, they should have focused on establishing the characters and plot line instead of a streamlined manner rather than taking a shotgun approach and throwing so many elements out there hoping they would stick. I don't think there is a single character on this show I like.

Again, law students investigating the crime scene with the accused then hopping into bed to reenact the murder with said accused. Wut.

How to Get Away with Murder: don't take dick pics!

tumblr_ncvgjayJ241r3ud65o8_250.gif

Connor no plz

DOWN

Banned
So I haven't watched this, but I follow reviews/ratings a bit and I'm very surprised that the Pilot got such unusually high reviews and yet there's a lot of negative response a month in.

EDIT: Seems like the IMDb crowd is pretty happy still based on episode scores. Show rated 8.5, all the episodes are still 8.3 or higher, if that means much.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does stage acting encourage exaggerated movement?

That might explain Alfred Enoch's problem.

Malyse

Honestly this should have been a Shondaland OT and let us talk about Grey's Anatomy and Scandal.

Actually, would it be offensive to change focus?
Cause I don't want to make the Scandal OT

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Is anyone else bothered that she's teaching criminal procedure in a criminal law class?

royalan

The show's at its best when it focuses on the Cases of the Week and when it's building the drama between Annalese and her husband.

Nosedives when it focuses on any of the students and their boring problems/romances for more than 2 seconds.

Malyse

The show's at its best when it focuses on the Cases of the Week and when it's building the drama between Annalese and her husband.

Nosedives when it focuses on any of the students and their boring problems/romances for more than 2 seconds.

What about when the students are building the tension?

royalan

What about when the students are building the tension?

Oh, those are the absolute worst scenes. I still don't understand their point. We're not learning anything about the characters because they're all too busy freaking out. And other than learning that the body was Annalese's husband we really haven't learned anything significant from the flash forwards.

They just seem like a waste of time.

Trey

Is anyone else bothered that she's teaching criminal procedure in a criminal law class?

Or how she has no moral compass? The students subsequently have no ethics. No one questions Viola Davis despite her being incompetent most of the time (to be fair, Dean Thomas did buck in this episode)? It's hard to follow the court cases because there's a bunch of legal jargon that they skate passed, and the subjects of the court proceedings are boring as fuck. No one acts like an actual human being - closest is Dean Thomas who just looks confused by everything at all times. Early-mid twenty year olds are subverting law continuously just to win a trophy in a 100 level criminal law class. And there's no intergroup dynamics established aside from Michaela and Conner's infinitesimally small rivalry. Apparently there's a gay dude conveniently associated with every single court case the firm is assigned, just for him to bang information or leverage out of.

It's repetitive already.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Or how she has no moral compass? The students subsequently have no ethics. No one questions Viola Davis despite her being incompetent most of the time (to be fair, Dean Thomas did buck in this episode)? It's hard to follow the court cases because there's a bunch of legal jargon that they skate passed, and the subjects of the court proceedings are boring as fuck. No one acts like an actual human being - closest is Dean Thomas who just looks confused by everything at all times. Early-mid twenty year olds are subverting law continuously just to win a trophy in a 100 level criminal law class. And there's no intergroup dynamics established aside from Michaela and Conner's infinitesimally small rivalry. Apparently there's a gay dude conveniently associated with every single court case the firm is assigned, just for him to bang information or leverage out of.

It's repetitive already.
Also how every case but one (Lila Stanton's murder) seemingly goes from arrest to conclusion in the matter of a week or two.

anaron

Oh, those are the absolute worst scenes. I still don't understand their point. We're not learning anything about the characters because they're all too busy freaking out. And other than learning that the body was Annalese's husband we really haven't learned anything significant from the flash forwards.

They just seem like a waste of time.
We gotta see the cheerleader spin and coin flip two hundred times tho!

Gorillaz

It's repetitive already.
dat Shonda magic

It's repetitive already.

Seriously, WTF...?

ivysaur12

Banned
That was certainly a misfire.

The cases of the week are so lacking -- it really feels like what is the meat of the show's time is being shortchanged. There are way too many bodies on this show and way too many plot lines that the actual thing that's supposed to entertain me when we're not talking about the serialized storytelling feels half-hearted.

Also, that episode out? That was the episode out from last week, except now another character knows it. If your characters are behind your audience, you either need to make that reveal years coming (see: Breaking Bad), or get everyone on the same page mid-episoe. That's not an episode out.

That was certainly a misfire.

The cases of the week are so lacking -- it really feels like what is the meat of the show's time is being shortchanged. There are way too many bodies on this show and way too many plot lines that the actual thing that's supposed to entertain me when we're not talking about the serialized storytelling feels half-hearted.

Also, that episode out? That was the episode out from last week, except now another character knows it. If your characters are behind your audience, you either need to make that reveal years coming (see: Breaking Bad), or get everyone on the same page mid-episoe. That's not an episode out.
I feel like we might stop with the flash forwards at around episode 8-10. Then, the rest of the season could be the trial and maybe even the outcome. I agree with you on the number of main characters on this show, it could use way less. Maybe they'll get rid of Bonnie and Nate by the time this season ends.

Malyse

I feel like we might stop with the flash forwards at around episode 8-10. Then, the rest of the season could be the trial and maybe even the outcome. I agree with you on the number of main characters on this show, it could use way less. Maybe they'll get rid of Bonnie and Nate by the time this season ends.

It should be running in present tense by the mid season break.

I liked the case of the week a lot better this week. Reminded me of an SVU episode, except from the defense's point of view rather than the prosecution.

I still don't give two craps about any of the characters except for Annalise, whose drip-feed of backstory alone was more intriguing this episode than anything going on in Laurel's (is that even her name?) life.

I need a Mad Men-esque "Waldorf Stories" episode at some point down the line to show us how Annalise came to be Annalise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom