• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset TV in-game message to reviewers

Tegernako

Banned
This game tries too hard.
Judging by your post history the game would have never succeeded anyways.

Like all of your recent posts are anti-xbox and you're in an Xbox related thread acting like that?

Instead of one line posts insulting people who like the game and the game itself, try explaining why you feel that way instead of shitposting.

mdubs

Banned
joke or note, any sort message from devs to reviewers to not use some terms or words in the reviews is just a bad idea.

also from all info and videos I've seen Sunset don't seems anything special at all, it's mix of old ideas from Insomniac older games with other thing from other games with nothing new or exciting really. Insomniac better not get mad if they get some reviewers not liking their game or called it overhyped.

1368578630217.jpg

B.O.O.M

That was actually the segment/dialog I actually thought was legit funny from what I have seen so far in this game lol Good stuff

and people, if someone else doesn't think it's funny or think it doesn't have a good effect on their impression of the game..that's perfectly fine. You don't need to dig through their post history to find a way to discredit the opinion each time...it's just silly and overly defensive

jesu

All of your recent posts are anti-xbox and you're in an Xbox related thread acting like that.

Instead of one line posts insulting people who like the game and the game itself, try explaining why you feel that way instead of shitposting.

Looking at the post history of certain posters in this thread is certainly interesting.

and people, if someone else doesn't think it's funny or think it doesn't have a good effect on their impression of the game..that's perfectly fine. You don't need to dig through their post history to find a way to discredit the opinion each time...it's just silly and overly defensive

But it's interesting nonetheless.

Lucent

Looking at the post history of certain posters in this thread is certainly interesting.

Yep. Just looked at one and I can say that what was said about this game seems funny since the games in their post history definitely don't really try anything new and are also culminations of previous games put into an updated version. And don't seem like anything special either. =/

ckohler

I really like the idea of new video content constantly showing inside the game world but those jump cut edits are terrible. Also, the attempt at humor comes off cringingly phony.

CoG

Like all of your recent posts are anti-xbox and you're in an Xbox related thread acting like that?]

This thread is about a game getting meta with reviewers and in that regard it's trying too hard with the ingame video. Thanks for the post-history witch hunt though.

Tegernako

Banned
You are right, I apologize for that. I just hate it when people post one line sentences and don't bother explaining why.

But it's interesting nonetheless.
I'm kind of weird. I love the PS but I dislike Sony, I like Microsoft in the "well at least you can always trust them to be honest about wanting your money and nothing else"

This thread is about a game getting meta with reviewers and in that regard it's trying too hard with the ingame video. Thanks for the post-history witch hunt though.
That certainly excuses one line shit posts all right. I don't care if you don't like the game or its humor, but at least explain why.

And it took 10 seconds of work to copy paste, you're the one who made the posts comparing obama to phil spencer.

Freeman

Banned
I don't really see how it's "trying too hard." I usually never understand that comment when it's used in other scenarios either.
Being funny requires a certain level of subtlety. This game seems very juvenile (not a uncommon trait for games, but still not a good one), mix that with the fact that it constantly tries to be edgy and it just feels off.

To save people the trouble of going into my post history I don't like MS at all, although I'll give them credit if they make a game I like (like Alan Wake, despite all the its flaws).

Tegernako

Banned
Being funny requires a certain level of subtlety. This game seems very juvenile (not a uncommon trait for games, but still not a good one), mix that with the fact that it constantly tries to be edgy and it just feels off.
I can understand that. But I do disagree that being funny means subtle, sometimes people find humor in thing simply being cringy and ridiculous. So it can go in either direction, I think it will be interesting to see publisher/user reviews on the game. It could certainly go either way.

Eh, something being funny depends on the audience response. So, instead of having a game that tries to be funny, the alternative is to surrender to the endless tide of humorless, self-serious epics we're drowned in with AAA games. Sorry, I'd rather have ten SOs that fall flat on their face than another Watchdogs or Destiny or Assassin's Creed or CoD or Halo or whatever that we already have tons of every single fucking year. Not saying I don't want those games in the marketplace, either, just that it's nice to have things that try to not be so much like other things already out there.

To save people the trouble of going into my post history I don't like MS at all, although I'll give them credit if they make a game I like (like Alan Wake, despite all the its flaws).

Do people here making these claims not see that the game's premise and setting are obviously satirical? They're "trying too hard"on purpose, that's the point of the satire.

I have so far found the writing and jokes that I've heard to be funny, and love how they poke fun at themselves and games in general.

Also love the Dreamcast vibes I get from the game. Some of the bear years of gaming for me.

Freeman

Banned
I can understand that. But I do disagree that being funny means subtle, sometimes people find humor in thing simply being cringy and ridiculous. So it can go in either direction, I think it will be interesting to see publisher/user reviews on the game. It could certainly go either way.

I was going by my own taste, I get that different people find different things funny. People I know ask me to recommend movies for them and usually the only ones that I don't get right tend to be comedies.

Footos22

Mines all paid off. 35 quid from bannedto.net
This is probably gonna be a slow seller compared to other games but will prob still do well overy the next year. It's releasing 3 days before cod which goes against it quite a bit.

I think the style and humor of this game works well because it doesn't take itself serious at all. But I could really do without the punky rocky music, I wish we'd see more experimentation in that regard.

Tegernako

Banned
Eh, something being funny depends on the audience response. So, instead of having a game that tries to be funny, the alternative is to surrender to the endless tide of humorless, self-serious epics we're drowned in with AAA games. Sorry, I'd rather have ten SOs that fall flat on their face than another Watchdogs or Destiny or Assassin's Creed or CoD or Halo or whatever that we already have tons of every single fucking year. Not saying I don't want those games in the marketplace, either, just that it's nice to have things that try to not be so much like other things already out there.
That reminds me of a post I found a while back about this game on just how differently people can view a game. I find the humor to be hit or miss but I find the graphics style, the tease of how fun the game may be with friends, and the traversal system in addition to the "don't give a shit, just have fun!" to be the reasons why I'm interested in this game. But someone else might see all that and form a completely different opinion, this is NOT my post:

"Eh, I think #1 post is onto something. As a PS owner This is a very immature game meant for a very different crowd than Ratchet & Clank. Those games, as with Spyro, were at least meant for imaginative children with a more mature mindset, they weren’t all about being crass and gross. And as I mentioned, there’s even some good political satire.

But Sunset Overdrive is for the “BOOBIES!” crowd. It stars a douche-bro fighting the most generic foes ever. It has a certain ‘Army of Two’ vibe about it. Which also featured douche-bros fighting generic foes. I’m sure it’ll go down well with the aforementioned crowd of immature extroverts who’ve little intellectual value between them. But for a more intelligent audience, this isn’t… appealing.

I’d prefer more Ratchet & Clank, or at least another IP that isn’t so very ‘brah’ and crass.
As I’ve said so many times, this is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people.

1.) Remove the primarily introverted and nerdy cast (Ratchet, Clank, and Al), and replace them with a gormless, smug douche-bro, a douche-bro so obnoxious and irredeemable that you’re rooting for his imminent demise. (I don’t find ‘brah’ culture to be something I can relate to. To me, it comes over as more of a cancer.)

2.) Remove the wide gamut of very memorable, silly, and beautifully imaginative foes from the game. Then replace them with zombies. Then add some more zombies, then steal zombies from Left4Dead to add more zombies to the zombies because zombies. Creatively bankrupt, much?

3.) Remove the engagingly odd and eccentric alien worlds and attitudes in favour of earth. Just earth. A slightly Asian earth, but still incredibly familiar so that the intended douche-bro audience can enjoy it.

4.) Remove the finely crafted levels, which actually require skill to traverse (especially in Going Commando), and replace it with a blad, lazily made open world focused on providing the player with instant gratification. Gotta have some of that one-button style Assassin’s Creed gameplay that the kids are raving about, too.

5.) Remove the goofy cartoon violence (including weapons like the groovitron, which can even be used for non-violent playthroughs), and replace it with gore, gore, GORE, GORE, GORE! HEADS EXPLODING! Because, oh boy, being unnecessarily gross doesn’t squick me at all. Not at all. I will stress again: Sunset Overdrive is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people."

Bgamer90

Banned
Why you witch hunting, bruh?

Wasn't much of a "hunt" since it took less than two minutes for me (haha).

But no, I'm just noticing a trend in Sunset Overdrive threads. People not interested in the game saying it over and over in some fashion. Not that there's anything wrong with not being interested in the game but it's becoming overboard.

turcy

man, i used to find this guy grating, but he's really grown on me.

this whole candid approach to game marketing is rather refreshing, and i wish this game all the best.

good reviews = me buying the segsy white bundle

But no, I'm just noticing a trend in Sunset Overdrive threads. People not interested in the game saying it over and over in some fashion. Not that there's anything wrong with not being interested in the game but it's becoming overboard.

Also, to an extent, why are they here if they aren't at all interested and they continually comment on it?

Anywho, I am really intrigued how the game is gonna review. I would love to get the chance to try it, cus I love open world games. But at least from videos there's a few things I reckon I'd be gripey about.

But I won't get a chance till I buy an XB1.

Reminds me a lot of Titanfall threads before that game came out really. There was some very surreal posting going on back then lol.

TheF1BOB

Banned

yeah i don't get the tries too hard comments either. i mean we live in a age where AAA videogames have been trying too hard for years.

this just looks harmless fun.

That reminds me of a post I found a while back about this game on just how differently people can view a game. I find the humor to be hit or miss but I find the graphics style, the tease of how fun the game may be with friends, and the traversal system in addition to the "don't give a shit, just have fun!" to be the reasons why I'm interested in this game. But someone else might see all that and form a completely different opinion, this is NOT my post:

-snip-

You should really put that in quote blocks or something.

AngryMoth

I'm not a fan of the goofy/4th fall breaking humour they seem to be going for but goddamn does this game look fun. Jealous of you xbox owners

SerTapTap

I thought it was cute. No way you can call that "pressuring" reviewers

Honestly putting those traversal tips in there is a great idea. Few things worse than having awesome systems go unexploited by those who play the game.

Yeah I've been surprised by the amount of times people play games "wrong" or times I myself have missed pretty important mechanics.

Leave CoG alone!

Top Bottom