• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset TV in-game message to reviewers

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Am I supposed to think that video is funny?

Nope! That's completely subjective.

Considering however that many people DO find it funny I think your claim that if a game doesn't have subtle humour then it's trying to hard is a faulty premise.

Humour is subjective and saying the game is trying to hard comes off dismissive and not a good critique.

Freeman

Banned
Nope! That's completely subjective.

Considering however that many people DO find it funny I think your claim that if a game doesn't have subtle humour then it's trying to hard is a faulty premise.

Humour is subjective and saying the game is trying to hard comes off dismissive and not a good critique.

You seem to miss the point that I was trying to explain to someone why people think it tries too hard, or at least my take on the reason.

I don't get why it is so hard to accept that some people don't find it funny, it's like everything needs to be a conspiracy against MS.

I really like GTAV for example but the game's humor does little for me when it is too blunt (that's most of the time I suppose).

That reminds me of a post I found a while back about this game on just how differently people can view a game. I find the humor to be hit or miss but I find the graphics style, the tease of how fun the game may be with friends, and the traversal system in addition to the "don't give a shit, just have fun!" to be the reasons why I'm interested in this game. But someone else might see all that and form a completely different opinion, this is NOT my post:

[post]
Right, I get it, as with all things, especially humor, it hits people differently, like those comedies making some people feel uncomfortable and embarrassed...the cringe response many seem to be expressing. I'm just struck by the number of seemingly defensive reaction posts that seem to be more about waving it off because they don't like the humor or finding it 'try-hard' rather than seeing it as some kind of attempt to do something tonally different for a big action-shooter trying to break the mould of the typical dour power fantasy. That's fine, but I tend to tune out or consciously mock the epic movie-alike when it's in full Hollywood mode as it happens, anyway, and can still appreciate the other things it does despite its boring aping of hard-R action flicks. I'm sure people can do the same for a game going to a more irreverent or absurd take on things, or I would think they could. I'm putting it all down to the silly, game-logic skewering direction being a rarity among big games, so it comes with a bit of defensive resistance rather than yawns, so that's something better than boredom, anyway.

Toparaman

Banned
That reminds me of a post I found a while back about this game on just how differently people can view a game. I find the humor to be hit or miss but I find the graphics style, the tease of how fun the game may be with friends, and the traversal system in addition to the "don't give a shit, just have fun!" to be the reasons why I'm interested in this game. But someone else might see all that and form a completely different opinion, this is NOT my post:

*snip*

This has system wars fanboy written all over it. Also the guy thinks extroverts are less intelligent than introverts. In other words, why should Insomniac care about this douche's opinion?

RedWolf

Neo Member
Pretty clever little note for reviewers but I still can't get behind this game. The whole "Whoa! Aren't we crazy and zany!?" stuff doesn't do it for me. I think this will be a mediocre game with good traversal mechanics. Waiting for review scores but games like this and Bulletstorm just don't do it for me.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm going to be a little off topic here, but it seems like every Sunset Overdrive thread is filled with people saying "this game will be mediocre" or "this looks like nothing special". These threads should exist to discuss the material within them, not stating how you think the game is going to bomb/suck/whatever. I'm really excited for the game and it's the first Insomniac game I've been excited for since the first Ratchet & Clank game and personally, I think it's going to be pretty sweet (but of course, that's just me)

Now, for the topic itself, I think it's cool to that they have shown off the Sunset TV element somewhere in the review copies of the game (which this message is really trying to show) and I think once the actually game comes out, Sunset TV is going be a cool little feature

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You seem to miss the point that I was trying to explain to someone why people think it tries too hard, or at least my take on the reason.

I don't get why it is so hard to accept that some people don't find it funny, it's like everything needs to be a conspiracy against MS.

Oh good Lord, are you going to say there is a persecution complex next?

joke or note, any sort message from devs to reviewers to not use some terms or words in the reviews is just a bad idea.

also from all info and videos I've seen Sunset don't seems anything special at all, it's mix of old ideas from Insomniac older games with other thing from other games with nothing new or exciting really. Insomniac better not get mad if they get some reviewers not liking their game or called it overhyped.

Parody right?

Tegernako

Banned
Right, I get it, as with all things, especially humor, it hits people differently, like those comedies making some people feel uncomfortable and embarrassed...the cringe response many seem to be expressing. I'm just struck by the number of seemingly defensive reaction posts that seem to be more about waving it off because they don't like the humor or finding it 'try-hard' rather than seeing it as some kind of attempt to do something tonally different for a big action-shooter trying to break the mould of the typical dour power fantasy. That's fine, but I tend to tune out or consciously mock the epic movie-alike when it's in full Hollywood mode as it happens, anyway, and can still appreciate the other things it does despite its boring aping of hard-R action flicks. I'm sure people can do the same for a game going to a more irreverent or absurd take on things, or I would think they could. I'm putting it all down to the silly, game-logic skewering direction being a rarity among big games, so it comes with a bit of defensive resistance rather than yawns, so that's something better than boredom, anyway.
It doesn't bother me if they don't like it as long as they are willing to explain why they think that. One liner shit posts don't do it for me. I know I'm guilty of not explaining myself at times, but I always try to explain where I come from.

Why? Do you think there is?

With people going after other people post history I don't think I need to say anything the subject.
I only did that because I find it odd that someone who has on multiple other occasions in other threads dissed/completely written off the game/consistently insults the Xbox is in this thread doing it again.

Why are you here? If you want to discuss the game, do more then a one line shit post about how it's going to utterly fail. How is it going to fail? Why don't you like it? Yet they don't do that and so people like me will look up post history to call out those people for being trolls or something. You take the time to explain your stance, while people might disagree at least we are having a conversation. What has CoG added to this thread? Nothing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I’d prefer more Ratchet & Clank, or at least another IP that isn’t so very ‘brah’ and crass.
As I’ve said so many times, this is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people.

1.) Remove the primarily introverted and nerdy cast (Ratchet, Clank, and Al), and replace them with a gormless, smug douche-bro, a douche-bro so obnoxious and irredeemable that you’re rooting for his imminent demise. (I don’t find ‘brah’ culture to be something I can relate to. To me, it comes over as more of a cancer.)

2.) Remove the wide gamut of very memorable, silly, and beautifully imaginative foes from the game. Then replace them with zombies. Then add some more zombies, then steal zombies from Left4Dead to add more zombies to the zombies because zombies. Creatively bankrupt, much?

3.) Remove the engagingly odd and eccentric alien worlds and attitudes in favour of earth. Just earth. A slightly Asian earth, but still incredibly familiar so that the intended douche-bro audience can enjoy it.

4.) Remove the finely crafted levels, which actually require skill to traverse (especially in Going Commando), and replace it with a blad, lazily made open world focused on providing the player with instant gratification. Gotta have some of that one-button style Assassin’s Creed gameplay that the kids are raving about, too.

5.) Remove the goofy cartoon violence (including weapons like the groovitron, which can even be used for non-violent playthroughs), and replace it with gore, gore, GORE, GORE, GORE! HEADS EXPLODING! Because, oh boy, being unnecessarily gross doesn’t squick me at all. Not at all. I will stress again: Sunset Overdrive is Ratchet & Clank for stupid people."

1. How do you know what happens to the main character over the course of the game? Do you assume no growth? Ratchet was kind of a jerk in RC1 as well at first! Part of his arc! Further - there are plenty of characters in the game, from Floyd and Walter, to the various factions and those characters. We have quite the cast. And most certainly wouldn't be within that one type you're arguing.

2. A huge variety of mutants. Multiple bosses (can you say Fizzie?). Robotic enemies, and human enemies.

3. A colorful, bright, open world city. It's a human story set in a slightly futuristic world. So the setting represents the story we wanted to tell and the game we wanted to make. It's certainly not a gritty gray / brown realistic city. It's original and there's lots of art love put into it.

4. All of the story missions have crafted and unique gameplay elements to them. There's a lot of pride in the world and the design and allowing you to approach situations in various ways. I don't see this complaint at all.

5. We have gore AND profanity filters if that bothers you. This is a game where you can launch bowling balls at enemies, or vinyl records, or fire out an acid Fizzie sprinkler, or freeze them or use a harpoon that spills an energy drink out... so I think our spirit is alive and well here.

Why not play through the game and let me know, eh?

JABEE

I actually heard a sports radio guy in Philly read out a long as for Sunset Overdrive on the biggest sports station in Philly (WIP). They are definitely getting some good promotion out for this game. I'm happy for Insomniac. SO looks really cool. It will probably be one of my first purchases whenever I get an Xbox One.

Tegernako

Banned
5. We have gore AND profanity filters if that bothers you. This is a game where you can launch bowling balls at enemies, or vinyl records, or fire out an acid Fizzie sprinkler, or freeze them or use a harpoon that spills an energy drink out... so I think our spirit is alive and well here.

Why not play through the game and let me know, eh?
That is NOT my post:

In the post you quoted, I said it was a quote from someone else. I love the idea for this game and I'm picking it up day one.

I have absolutely nothing but respect for you guys. Even when you were was PS only, I respected and loved your games.

Einbroch

Banned
The most interesting thing is they think people will be playing this game for more than two weeks, especially as we're just now getting into the holiday season.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
That is NOT my post:

In the post you quoted, I said it was a quote from someone else. I love the idea for this game and I'm picking it up day one.

I have absolutely nothing but respect for you guys. Even when you were was PS only, I respected and loved your games.

<3

Einbroch

Banned
Uh, what?
What?

They're adding bi-weekly events and challenges, so says the video. That leads me to believe they think people will play this game for months.

I'm sure it's gonna be great, but I don't know about its staying power. That's all.

VinFTW

What?

They're adding bi-weekly events and challenges, so says the video. That leads me to believe they think people will play this game for months.

I'm sure it's gonna be great, but I don't know about its staying power. That's all.

Well, let's wait and see.

Personally a game with co-op (and matchmaking, which is huge) plus weekly events/community challenges would keep me playing for a while.

As long as it has some incentives, maybe costume pieces or amps, etc for completion then I think it might.

But like I said, we'll see when the game comes out. I can't say it will have longevity and at the same time tell you you're wrong for saying it won't.

Who knows? Only 10 days away :D

Einbroch

Banned
Well, let's wait and see.

Personally a game with co-op (and matchmaking, which is huge) plus weekly events/community challenges would keep me playing for a while.

As long as it has some incentives, maybe costume pieces or amps, etc for completion then I think it might.

But like I said, we'll see when the game comes out. I can't say it will have longevity and at the same time tell you you're wrong for saying it won't.

Who knows? Only 10 days away :D

I don't think it will, but I can't say it won't. I think a lot of people play the main mission, dabble in some side stuff, and play the multiplayer for a week or so then move on. And with the holiday season approaching with a gajjilion games, I'm just not sure.

Game looks really fun, though.

What?

I think the idea is that by providing new stuff to do/earn week by week, they're hoping they can get people to stick with it. So sort of the other way around.

Hey, it's working for Destiny :p

VinFTW

I don't think it will, but I can't say it won't. I think a lot of people play the main mission, dabble in some side stuff, and play the multiplayer for a week or so then move on. And with the holiday season approaching with a gajjilion games, I'm just not sure.

Agreed.

The only reason why I'm hesitant to say it won't have longevity is because of how addicting R2's coop was.

I had NO intention of playing the co-op in R2, but then my 360 red ringed and then I decided to try it out... Man, I was hooked for weeks.

They know how to make a solid co-op experience.

I think the idea is that by providing new stuff to do/earn week by week, they're hoping they can get people to stick with it. So sort of the other way around.

Hey, it's working for Destiny :p

I definitely agree with you, but it's a tad different because Destiny has that innate, sub-conscious loot hook :p

StudioTan

I only did that because I find it odd that someone who has on multiple other occasions in other threads dissed/completely written off the game/consistently insults the Xbox is in this thread doing it again.

Why are you here? If you want to discuss the game, do more then a one line shit post about how it's going to utterly fail. How is it going to fail? Why don't you like it? Yet they don't do that and so people like me will look up post history to call out those people for being trolls or something. You take the time to explain your stance, while people might disagree at least we are having a conversation. What has CoG added to this thread? Nothing.

Let's just say his and certain other people's posts in Xbox One threads lack so much subtlety it's not even funny.

Tegernako

Banned
=D

Ahhh, I see what you are saying now. It's more about competition in combination with you not knowing the full scope of the game that's giving you reservations about the longevity.

Well, this is one on those instances where we'd love to be proven wrong isn't it?

Waiting for that OT to launch on day one along with the game. Love the cartoon look and crazy action and mobility. Mutants... EVERYWHERE!

Great idea with sunset TV. Can't wait to pick this game up, even though reading through this thread was a mistake. There are some of the most ridiculous comments in here and in most, if not every SO thread.

Guerrilla

giphy.gif

nicely done!

btw. I don't get the witchhunt thing at all, witchhunt means hunting something that doesn't exist in the first place (witches) haters/fanboys do exist though.... should be called "fanboy hunt" on here if anything....

OT: Can't wait to play this, didn't know that Sunset TV would run inside of the game, but I like it :)

Bgamer90

Banned
The most interesting thing is they think people will be playing this game for more than two weeks, especially as we're just now getting into the holiday season.

You've come back from the future?

Ah, should have said that then. We'll see. I loved Gears of War horde and played it for months. The multiplayer challenges seem very similar.

I highly appreciate the profanity filter by the way. That was honestly a big deciding factor for me mainly because I don't like playing games with a lot of bad language thrown everywhere with my family around >_>

Edit: Well I don't have a XB1 but the chances of me getting one are infinitely higher than before with this and the MC collection

Watched a few Twitch streams today and the game looks amazing. It really reminds me of something Sega would have released for the Dreamcast with that bright colorful arcade feel.

I'm glad there is a bundle for the game as this is a system seller for me personally. There needs to be way more hype as I was surprised the game was coming out end of the month.

Going by his post history he really likes Driveclub and Destiny, 2 games which are known for their diversity of gameplay.

OT: I like what they're doing with the Sunset TV stuff, any time devs can keep games engaged post end-game it's a good thing.

But I thought there were no console warriors on NeoGAF!?!? :D

On topic though, game looks pretty damn amusing. I know I'm going to be changing up my character on a frequent basis.

Top Bottom