• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Metal Gear to death, yet I have zero interest in MGSV

I loved Metal Gear almost ever since I loved gaming pretty much (if it wasn't obvious from my avatar lol), my first console was the PS1 and while it had a amazing library, no game ever managed to hit me like Metal Gear Solid, the game was NOTHING I ever played was ever like it, with it's gameplay, graphics (for the time at least) , music and story. Snake was my hero when I was 11 years old and I still regard him as one of my favorite characters in the medium. I played MGS1 like 9 times and I never got bored of it. It made me love stealth games and look for nay game like it.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the reason I got a PS2, I can still remember the days where I was anticipating the game's release and reading all about it in good old Gamespot. I was thrilled to play the game and surprised when that I found out that snake wasn't the actual protagonist of the game, it was disappointing but I still really loved it, and still graphically impressive for a PS2 game not to mention is was 60FPS... most of the time. A lot of great gameplay additions like handing on ledges, first person aiming among other things which gave you more options to use strategy.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was just as amazing as the other two in the series but with a new protagonist which is Big Boss himself, the new and ambitions additions to the series like the stamina meter which made you not aim properly not to mention an extensive health system which made you made keep an eye on different parts of your body separately which reminded me of the original Deus Ex. The final confrontation between Big Boss and the boss were one of the most memorable moments I experienced in gaming.

Then there was Metal Gear Solid 4, the game had more emphasis on action than stealth but I still liked it, loved the octocamo system and the MK II and while a lot of people see it as a bad thing, I liked that we went into 5 different environments throughout the whole game but I liked it personally because it was different that the rest of the series. And yeah I didn't mind the ending that much because he is trying to tie all the loose ends of a very story heavy series. And that freaking final Boss fight was freaking amazing.

Hell, I even liked Twin Snakes, but don't get me wrong there are some legitimate complaints like how they updated the gameplay but never changed the level design that much so the game was piss easy compared to the original, but I really was never bothered but the cutscenes that much.

And then we have Peace Walker.I like PW, it's just not that good by MGS standards, the story isn't all that great either with some retreads of Big Boss turmoils but it was a good side story to add to series.

And then there is MSGV... For the first time I have no enthusiasm for this game, no anticipation, speculation , no ... anything.

Now look, I like the series as you have read through my words, but it seems like the reason is that, it feels unnecessary. It is set after MGS3 and Peace Walker but Before the rest of the series, so we know all that would happen next in the canon of the series, we all know how it started in MGS3 and how it'll end and how all of these issues will get resolved in the future. Big Boss isn't as interesting as Solid Snake and the MGS series weren't about him. It is obvious that the only reason that this game exists is that Konami wants to make money off the MGS name. Yeah I know every commercial game exists to make money, I am not delusional. But if you looks back at the main series you'd realize that every game has it's place in the series and the series would be incomplete without all the games together, the upcoming game feels like it doesn't have anything interesting to say about the universe or character. Even the open world aspect of gameplay doesn't draw me at all. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

And honestly, I'd be fine with the series continuing in the Rising route and let Kojima do something new.

Thanks for reading :)

Now look, I like the series as you have read through my words, but it seems like the reason is that, it feels unnecessary. It is set after MGS3 and Peace Walker but Before the rest of the series, so we know all that would happen next in the canon of the series, we all know how it started in MGS3 and how it'll end and how all of these issues will get resolved in the future. Big Boss isn't as interesting as Solid Snake and the MGS series weren't about him. It is obvious that the only reason that this game exists is that Konami wants to make money off the MGS name. Yeah I know every commercial game exists to make money, I am not delusional. But if you looks back at the main series you'd realize that every game has it's place in the series and the series would be incomplete without all the games together, the upcoming game feels like it doesn't have anything interesting to say about the universe or character. Even the open world aspect of gameplay doesn't draw me at all. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

And honestly, I'd be fine with the series continuing in the Rising route and let Kojima do something new.

This is what is making me the most excited about the game.

I disagree - the scope of the game, and features in it, seems to me that this is the MGS game Kojima has always wished he could make, but couldn't because either he didn't know how, or was held back by hardware limitations.

I'm sorry you're not excited about it but from one fan to another I don't understand why.

mp1990

Banned
Yeah,you're not alone.I've played all main MGS games in sequence this year,and it became my favorite franchise of all time.Yet,i don't think we need another MGS,and after the big disappointment that was PW,i'm not excited at all.

Post MGS3 and pre Metal Gear games are unnecessary. It's narratively uninteresting. You can already see Big Boss' start of darkness in MGS3.

They've removed a lot of mystique about Big Boss and it doesn't help that the three games they've put out between those titles have really bad stories.

dugdug

Banned
I'm in a similar boat.

MGS4 completely wrapped up that story, for me. I don't need any more Metal Gear.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting excited for it, too. I think it might be the setting for me.

I disagree - the scope of the game, and features in it, seems to me that this is the MGS game Kojima has always wished he could make, but couldn't because either he didn't know how, or was held back by hardware limitations.

I'm sorry you're not excited about it but from one fan to another I don't understand why.

That's fine, I was voicing my opinion and I won't demand that everyone should agree with me.

cacildo

After Metal Gear 4... well, i really dont care if i ever play another Metal Gear again

Same thing with Resident Evil 5

Same thing with GTA4

I'm kinda feeling the same way. I'd go insane if Metal Gear Rising 2 was announced tomorrow, but for some reason MGSV isn't doing much for me. The story feels really boring this time around, and though the gameplay looks to be the best it's ever been, it's still not pulling me in :(

I see people going crazy for the huge trailers but it feels like old hat. I want to like it but it's just not happening. I didn't even pick up Ground Zeroes, and Peace Walker is mehh. I think I'm just mentally done with the whole Boss/Snake side of Metal Gear.

The open world nature and higher action emphasis actually change the stealth mechanics enough that this is a completely reasonable position.

Prototype

If you've been playing since PSone... That's been over a decade man... Chances are you are a very different person then you were back then. It's called getting older. Your tastes change.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm one of the few that loved MGS4. It gave me closure on the series, so I'm kinda in the same boat.

That's fine, I was voicing my opinion and I won't demand that everyone should agree with me.

That's what makes good debates :) It seems that your primary problem, and others as well, is the story is unncessary/uninteresting since we kind of know where it leads.

I'm guessing that'll be the dealbreaker for some, whereas I've always found something intriguing about knowing how something ends but seeing the path it takes to get there. Kind of like the idea of the SW prequels in theory, if they weren't dogshit.

TheXbox

I wasn't excited until I saw the TGS demo this year. I kinda felt the same way as you, apathetic towards what seems like a pointless story and a little disheartened by the new mechanics and lack of Hayter. The demo sold me on Kojima's vision, however. It's going to be great.

Arizato

I know where you are coming from and I can see your point in some ways. However I don't agree with you on the basis that we never really knew what turned Big Boss into the villain he was in MG1 and 2. That's my main draw for wanting to play The Phantom Pain, because I get to see one of my favorite game characters turn into a bad guy and finally get some explanation why he does so. He's not just going to be there just to be an antagonist anymore, he will actually get some development in that regard.

Oh, and the open world too...

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
My interest in the series nosedived after MGS4. I am having difficulty getting excited for another MGS game. When I think of the series, I pretend it stopped with MGS3.

I'm a HUGE Metal Gear fan, and I'm greatly anticipating TPP, but I've had no desire to play GZ. I'll probably just rent it right before TPP comes out.

After MGS4, I don't care about the MGS lore or saga either. To me, it was FF13-levels of clusterfuck.

That said, I am interested in MGS5 in terms of gameplay. Yes, it still looks as ridiculous and over-the-top as ever, but in my mind it's no longer an espionage drama (what it kind-of started like), but a science-fiction saga.

Open world Metal Gear Solid should not be a thing.

Ground Zeroes agreed with me

I agree. Not everything needs to be open world. I was not really a fan of Ground Zeroes. I'm hoping a more full-featured game will allow me to overlook the open world nature of encounters and stuff.

I barely know what I'm trying to say here but I didn't like Ground Zeroes.

From a story standpoint, I understand where you are coming from. A lot of the MG saga is already predetermined by the previous games and Solid Snake's character got thrown under the bus by Kojima for, in my opinion, a really dumb excuse. That being said, I'm very hyped for MGS5, more so for the gameplay possibilities than anything else. The story won't be my primary interest for the first time in a decade and a half but I feel that a fully fleshed-out version of Peace Walker systems has huge potential.

Keep an open mind. This isn't a traditional Metal Gear in my opinion (I personally question why it's called Metal Gear Solid 5) but I think we're in for a great experience.

PW a big disappointment??

Not really, it was hindered by the hardware it was made on if anything.

If you've been playing since PSone... That's been over a decade man... Chances are you are a very different person then you were back then. It's called getting older. Your tastes change.

I still get excited for other games though, like the upcoming Uncharted and I am hell gonna get excited for the next Deus Ex.

mgsv-dd-wolf.png

Vidpixel

I feel mostly the same way. Personally, I think the Metal Gear "Solid" series has run its course. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if a new game in the Metal Gear series began with new characters and whatnot, but the whole story arc with Big Boss and Solid Snake simply doesn't appeal to me anymore, as many of the loose ends of their stories have been addressed already.

SgtCobra

I'm not that hyped for the fifth installment either, and I'm a big MGS fan. The story (from what we know) doesn't interest me that much, and "omg open world" and the characters don't do it either for me. Just give me Snake and Hayter. MGS4 was phenomenal, GotY 2008.

I'm still gonna buy it and play it till I never want to touch the game again though.

After Metal Gear 4... well, i really dont care if i ever play another Metal Gear again

Same thing with Resident Evil 5

Same thing with GTA4
Soo....did you play GTA V?

Personally, I found Ground Zeroes incredible and engaging. The sort of player engagement the series always saved up for boss fights is now the entire game. Story looks great. This is the real next-gen jump the series needs. Can't wait.

mcz117chief

OP, why haven't you played Portable Ops ? The story there is just amazing, you should atleast watch the cutscenes on youtube or something. It is my favourite Metal Gear right next to Rising and I am really looking forward to V.

It's the thing about prequels. There's little in the way of story to care much about. The gameplay might be ace in every respect, but the fact that we all know how the story wrapped up is what results in anticipation being timid. Happened with God of War: Ascension as well.

Halo Reach was like that too, it was even their catch phrase and yet, it has one of the best (if not THE best) stories in the series.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's the thing about prequels. There's little in the way of story to care much about. The gameplay might be ace in every respect, but the fact that we all know how the story wrapped up is what results in anticipation being timid. Happened with God of War: Ascension as well.

If this was a proper sequel to MGS4, I can guarantee you EVERYONE would be over the moon right now in anticipation, and this would've been THE most awaited sequel. Sadly, not the case.

In terms of options and freedom it looks incredibly promising I feel.

That said, as a massive Platinum fan a Rising 2 would make me even happier.

NotLiquid

Have to agree with you, OP. I think this video does a good job describing most of my issues with MGSV as a whole. The open world game play is quite of a novel charm but it only "kind of" works well in Ground Zeroes' context and I have no idea how well it's going to translate to a much bigger game. Besides that the game is still going to do nothing but dragging Big Boss through the mud despite the fact that all these conflicts and rebuilt factions aren't going to change from their inevitable conclusion, and it only sullies MGS3's perfectly subtle ending. MGS3 was really the only pre-MG game needed because it ended up giving more context for the series' future well passed MGS2, but the actual story of Metal Gear Solid is over at this point, so really there's not much to be excited about it for me. It's just Kojima spelling things out for me.

A big problem is that combined with open world, the player has a lot more possible actions when they are discovered. In previous MGS games, when you were discovered, you were fucked. You had fairly limited combat options, and if you ended up surviving, your health took a huge hit that was draining on your resources.

With the plentiful combat options and regenerating health of MGSV, perfect stealth is much less necessary to survival. It doesn't make it a bad game, but it does make it a very different one.

I wasn't excited until I saw the TGS demo this year. I kinda felt the same way as you, apathetic towards what seems like a pointless story and a little disheartened by the new mechanics and lack of Hayter. The demo sold me on Kojima's vision, however. It's going to be great.

Believe it or not the Hayter thing didn't bother me that much lol.

ezekial45

Banned

I'm not sure if I'd necessarily say that GZ was open world. Honestly, it was just a standard base/stronghold in the vein of past MGS games that was fully explorable. It was a more of a mini-sandbox game than an open world title.

TPP seems to be far more developed than anything in GZ, and the videos at GC & TGS have proven that. To me anyway.

protonion

Same here.

Up to mgs3 I got goosebumps from every trailer. I was watching them all day picking them apart for details.

After mgs4, the series lost their atmosphere. The settings, music, characters , plot... everything got depressing.

And gameplay wise, abandoning the top down camera was wrong imo. The game lost its identity and started to feel generic.

I'd like a reboot at this point. Maybe a 2d game on vita with detailed graphics and a simple "Snake find and destroy Metal Gear" plot with over the top characters.

AngryMoth

I feel the same, although watching some of the footage from TGS I have started to get a bit more interested so I may end up playing it. I just don't really have any appetite for more stories in that universe, 4 gave me closure on the series so it feels weird that they're still making games even though they're prequels. I was also put off by the voice actor change and the spoilers I read about the controversial bits in ground zeros sounded extremely ill conceived.

JayEH

I disagree with Solid Snake being a more interesting character. Big Boss is definitely more interesting in my opinion and Kojima agrees as well. This is also the most interesting part of the timeline for me since we're actually going to see Big Boss go crazy.

As far as gameplay goes, this is going to be the best Metal Gear in that department. After playing nearly 50 hours of Ground Zeroes, I can't wait for all the open world action and base management in TPP. This is the stealth simulator I have always wanted but didn't know I wanted until now.

Prototype

Not really, it was hindered by the hardware it was made on if anything.

I still get excited for other games though, like the upcoming Uncharted and I am hell gonna get excited for the next Deus Ex.
For sure, I just know that for me some franchises that I really liked when I was younger I don't care for much any more.

Zaku

I'd assume it's because so much of the "formula" that was present for Metal Gear Solid 1-4 just isn't there for MGS5. It's a pretty big shift in basic mechanics. Whether that's good or bad is up for debate, but there's been a clear shift in how the game plays, and as a result, how it feels.

It probably doesn't help that, realistically speaking, the events of the game don't matter. We know how Big Boss' story ends, and we even know the fates of all the important characters within the game.

What Metal Gear needs is either a new protagonist outside of the scope of the Snake family, or a reboot which is ready and willing to use our knowledge of the old series canon against us for shocking effect (i.e. making Otacon a villain).

I'm interested in the game from a technical standpoint, but I've got nowhere near the excitement for it that MGS 2-4 inspired.

Exr

I'm in the same boat as you OP, minus the love for MGS4. After playing Ground Zeros though I've done a flip. The story doesn't matter at all to me (especially after what they did with 4...) but the gameplay is very, very good in Ground Zeros.

Pyrrhus

MGS4 completely wrapped up that story, for me. I don't need any more Metal Gear.

MGS4 made me feel stupid for ever caring and completely disappointed me from a gameplay and pacing standpoint. It broke me as a fan. I used to spend hours discussing plot theories with folks and bought all the spin offs and dissected the trailers. But I was forcibly shown the error of my ways.

Kojima cutting off Hayter at the knees without so much as a heads up or thank you was just kind of the icing on the cake. I don't care if you don't like Hayter's performances, the man loved and worked hard for the brand and was great with fans. At that very least, that merits a little bit of appreciation and respect in how you handle your relationship with him.

If I buy MGSV, it will be after its critical sales period for a reduced price if not outright used.

Top Bottom