• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with visuals that topped their generation & and their sequels that didnt

KainXVIII

Yeah, GoW:A looks not much better (maybe even worse) than GoW3, with nasty framerate dips and pulled back camera when you barely see enemies and Kratos.

Mass Effect 2 vs 3 on consoles.

To the OP's statement, weren't most of the developers who made Escape from Butcher Bay gone by the time Assault on Dark Athena was released?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think Soul Calibur, here.

The first one was one of the most beautiful things in the planet in 1999. Dreamcast magic.

I'll even give massive love to Soul Calibur II... Some reviews at the time said it was not to the level that SC1 was in 1999. I can accept that, but SCII was still the most amazing thing on Cube and Xbox (720p in 2002!!!).

But SCIII was an ugly PS2 game. And IV and V were just par for the course visually. Nothing special.

DOA was also a graphical tour de force... DOA3 and 4
still had the potential to wow visually, even if you played them years and years after release. But DOA5 was just ok looking. Maybe re: the OP talking about Ninja Gaiden, we can lament the loss of the golden age of Itagaki.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This thread is about him isn't it?
tumblr_m8mwzes9cM1rb06tgo2_500.gif

Hsieh

I'm surprised Dragon Quest VIII to Dragon Quest IX wasn't mentioned earlier. Can't get a much bigger dropoff than PS2 to Nintendo DS.

On a similar note there was also Mega Man 8 to Mega Man 9. PSX quality 2D graphics to a deliberately NES retro style.

SegaShack

Smash Bros Melee
Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Kart Double Dash

I could name more but you get the idea. These Gamecube games looked much better than their Wii sequels and just visually were so much more polished.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - Crimson Dragon

Sirim

Are we still sticking with the part of the title that says games with visuals that "topped their generation", or are we just naming any game whose sequel was a visual downgrade/not huge improvement?

If we aren't sticking to that anymore...I'd like to throw ME2->ME3 in the mix. ME3 looked very rough compared to ME2, in my opinion. Something about the character models, the art direction and especially the fucked up contrast really ruined its look for me compared to ME2.

And the entire world just felt a lot more stilted, even more so than the already sort of stilted ME2. It was as if the characters were cutouts being moved across immovable sets and walls (hyperbole but hopefully my point gets across). All of this really added up to the entire look of the game feeling disjointed, much blander than ME2, and a little unfinished.

Green Yoshi

Halo -> Halo 2
GTA Vice City -> GTA San Andreas
Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine
Wave Race 64 -> Wave Race Blue Storm
Genji -> Genji (PS3)
Silent Hill 3 -> Silent Hill The Room
FlatOut 2 -> FlatOut 3
SSX 3 -> SSX On Tour
NFS Underground 2 -> NFS Most Wanted

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think Soul Calibur, here.

The first one was one of the most beautiful things in the planet in 1999. Dreamcast magic.

I'll even give massive love to Soul Calibur II... Some reviews at the time said it was not to the level that SC1 was in 1999. I can accept that, but SCII was still the most amazing thing on Cube and Xbox (720p in 2002!!!).

But SCIII was an ugly PS2 game. And IV and V were just par for the course visually. Nothing special.

I disagree with the bolded. Especially for how IV looked in 2008. I think you've got some nostalgia in your eyes.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Smash Bros Melee
Zelda Wind Waker
Mario Kart Double Dash

I could name more but you get the idea. These Gamecube games looked much better than their Wii sequels and just visually were so much more polished.

Panzer Dragoon Orta - Crimson Dragon

LOL What!? Brawl looks ridiculously better than Melee.

HeelPower

Silent 3 -> Silent Hill 4 I think.

This is ridiculous.

SC3 wasn't ugly.It looked absolutely great for its time and in motion.

SCV was a very pretty game but the character faces being too samey is the only real flaw.

EVO

Red Faction blew my mind back in 2001. To this day I think it still has some of the best environment destruction, but Red Faction II was completely forgettable.

Hopefully this isnt nostalgia talking but...

I want to say Tekken Tag Tournament to 4 and 5, now TTT had prerendered backgrounds which let them use a lot more processing for the character models than later games. but still, I miss the days where the Tekken games where graphical showcases.

btags

Perfect Dark was a technical marvel on the N64

Then the 360 came along and we got wall guy

2077416-wallguy_screen.jpg

lol his chin is in his trap muscle

There were plenty of parts where perfect dark zero looked bad, but there were also plenty of really cool things such as the use of parallax occlusion mapping, object motion blur, and (I think) volumetric explosions, although I am probably wrong on the last one.

SerTapTap

The prerendered backgrounds in Dino Crisis 2 really felt like a cop-out, personally. Not that I mind prerendered in most cases, DC1 compared exceptionally well to it's mostly pre-rendered brethren. I can't think of many other examples that aren't due to art style, and I guess DC1->2 is also sorta a case of artstyle, but with a significant technical component.

That's for damn sure.

Yoshi's Island didn't have the wizardry of DKC, but it looked sharp, crisp, and gorgeous. Yoshi's Story on the other hand looked like they didn't even care.

I disagree, YI had far, far more wizardry than DKC, DKC was simply sprites made from 3D models, YI used a ton of effects that almost no other games on the system used, and it didn't run like garbage unlike Starfox (which is admittedly an entirely different sort of technical wizardry)

I'd actually argue that KZ3 looks worse, or at the very least barely improved. IDK, might be nolstagia goggles telling me that though.

Alien jungle in KZ3 is IMO better looking than anything in KZ2. It's most certainly not a significant downgrade, and debatable whether it is one at all.

KidB

Tales of Vesperia (2008) looks much better than Xillia (2013) and the upcoming Zestiria... I'll cut Graces F some slack because it was originally a Wii game.

Manu

Not exactly a sequel, but...

This is Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS2. Granted, it's an emulated shot, but:

ValkCS-35-1024x576.jpg

And this is Resonance of Fate on PS3:

resonanceoffate_1a.jpg

It's not really a big jump, considering how amazing VP2 looks on PS2. I expected tri-Ace to wow me last gen.

danwarb

Sega Rally and Nights were great games with top visuals, on the Saturn. Their sequels were nothing much.

And Halo 2 was a mess next to Halo CE.

Seanspeed

Banned
Dark Souls II immediately come to mind, as the sequel received a massive visual downgrade. In comparison, the first Dark Souls is still hauntingly beautiful, and has still hold up to this day.
Dark Souls 2 received a downgrade from what *it* was going to be, but not downgraded below Dark Souls 1's visuals. I think you might have gotten caught up in the whole 'downgrade' fever and not really understood what was going on.

Its definitely an improvement over the first game.

Either way, the example isn't really relevant as Dark Souls 1 never 'topped its generation', graphically. Not by a long shot.

THEF3AR

Well i would have to go Halo 2 as one of the better looking games from it's generation to Halo 3. Halo 3 was very impressive on an art level but at a technical level there were better looking games.

Vice City had a great art style with really vibrant colors and looked great for a PS2 game.

San Andreas, while bigger, was full of empty blocky textures and unlimited brown everything making it pale in comparison.

eso76

It's more about devs than it is about series though.
Namco, Team Ninja, Square. Most Japanese developers were in great shape in the PSone and ps2 days but haven't kept up. Capcom seems to be the only exception. Oh, and Polyphony.
As far as western devs go, Starbreeze. Their xbox tech was miraculous, these days their games aren't really anything special.

Top Bottom