• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

Does anyone know what the intended release schedule is like? Are we looking at a TellTale schedule or a Kentucky Route 0 one?
According to one of the recent kickstarter updates they already have a release date for Book 2, but aren't publicly revealing it.

UnrealEck

I think I'll wait for at least a few episodes to be out before getting into the entire series. I hate having to play bit by bit over the course of several months.

Haunted

Man, there's a lot to like here. Ragnar's down-to-earth and realistic character-based writing, the impressive scale of Propast, simply exploring and adventuring about, soaking it all in.

This is clearly a labour of love, so many small details in the environments, the weird post-European language everyone's speaking, English mixing with German, French, Spanish and Czech for a really flavourful street-talk worthy of the raunchiest cyberpunk settings, the writing is believable and on point as always, it's so refreshing to have a main character talk about mature topics and really personal things (like her sex life) without it being mired in clichés or milked for titillation. Story-wise, the sense of mystery and suspense is still there, even if this is obviously something of a slower-paced episode, (re-)introducing a lot of the gameplay mechanics, story and characters.

It's great that this game was made.

And yet... and I almost feel bad for this obvious small team and their dedication - as a technical product, there's a lot of jank. The performance is really abysmal, there's a ton of slowdown, really severe in parts... awkward animations, missing animation transitions, horrible lip-sync - they've crafted these wonderful places to explore with the means available to them (this is probably the best-looking Unity game I've seen so far), but the myriad of technical issues tend to really take the player out of the experience.

Still, for anyone even passingly familiar with TLJ or Dreamfall, or interested in a solid third person adventure with strong, believable characters and writing that's not afraid to tackle complicated and uncomfortable topics - don't miss this.

dreamfall

I have this desire to just play it again, and change up all my choices drastically.

But I felt like I made those choices with a lot of conviction, and I kind of don't want to mess that up!

Decisions...

epmode

As someone who was really vocal about bringing back Zoe's old voice actor... I really like her new voice. Or maybe it's just the excellent writing. But I think it's both.

Green Yoshi

A really nice adventure game, although it hates my Radeon HD 5570 (a bad GPU, but Dead Space 3 and Just Cause 2 work perfectly)

has anyone played this with a laptop i3 and an HD4000 Intel integrated graphics card, cause that's all I have and don't intend to upgrade to the glorious master race anytime soon... maybe I should wait for the PS4 version.

Corpekata

Banned
has anyone played this with a laptop i3 and an HD4000 Intel integrated graphics card, cause that's all I have and don't intend to upgrade to the glorious master race anytime soon... maybe I should wait for the PS4 version.

Given how poorly it runs I'm pretty skeptical we'll see this on consoles as soon as they claimed. It also explains why they scrapped the Wii-U version.

Conezays

So I'm done marathonning TLJ and Dreamfall in the past week, haha. So excited to jump into this with you guys and share impressions!

Conezays

Just finished Chapters. Having played the prequels right before, it added a lot with some of the story beats for me.

Spoilers:

While the introduction of the game was sad, given everything that happens in these games, I don't think it's improbable that we see April again, at least in some form.

Overall, a lot of fun to walk around and explore. Interested to see what extent choices made will have in future chapters.

As some others have mentioned, performance isn't great, but I kept the resolution at 1440p with AA off (780Ti here) and it was generally quite good, besides busier areas in
Propast
. Still, for a game like this, it's hardly a deal-breaker; writing, voice acting, and music are first-rate.

Conezays

Sorry, another Dreamfall question:

I just did the "4 musical notes" puzzle. This has to be the worst puzzle I've ever encountered. The only way to know the answer was to remember a tune hummed by 2 guys you killed, and you can never go back and listen to it? I would have never in a million years made this connection myself, thank god for walkthroughs. Are there other puzzles this arbitrary and impossible in the game from this point on? If so, I'm giving up

Funny you mention this one.

There's a wheel that you can turn with the glowing orb before you enter the cave. When turning the wheel, it elcits 4 squeak-like pitches. I thought this was obviously the melody, but no dice. I had to look up the solution as well.

Yeah don't bother, i've played it on my vaio ultrabook with an i5 and HD4400 and the framerate tends to drop as low as 10 fps, even with everything on low. I wish there was an option to lower the resolution to something like 800x600, otherwise i'm waiting for the ps4 version.

Waaghals

Just finished it. The game runs like crap on an GTX 570 regardless of setting. So you might just as well play it on an HD4400. It will probably be much the same experience.

I enjoyed the game itself. Light on gameplay, but I don't mind.

Madouu

Just finished the episode, everything story related is great. I am still not sold on the whole consequences elements of the game and I am sad about the lack of puzzles but overall, the attention to small details in the world is magnificent. There's a lot of love put into the game and it shows!

PC Gamer's Richard Cobbett wrote this about the world, "It's hands down one of my favourite cyberpunk style universes, largely because it feels like it was designed by architects to be a place people live, rather than existing purely to push a dark, oppressive menace":

http://www.pcgamer.com/dreamfall-chapters-a-stark-contrast-with-cyberpunk/
1SFYh2POf5GN.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Great read.

I finished it and the writing is as good as ever. And Propast is really well realized setting. But there's too much busywork. They had a solid 2-3 hours of content and padded it out, and it's a shame because I would have enjoyed it more had it been better paced. And do something about that walking speed if you are going to put in a bunch of fetch quests in sizable city area.

epmode

PC Gamer's Richard Cobbett wrote this about the world, "It's hands down one of my favourite cyberpunk style universes, largely because it feels like it was designed by architects to be a place people live, rather than existing purely to push a dark, oppressive menace":

http://www.pcgamer.com/dreamfall-chapters-a-stark-contrast-with-cyberpunk/

It's an astonishing location for sure. TLJ has always had interesting settings, especially on the future/cyberpunk side but Chapters still stands out.

You can probably get away with looking at an LP for TLJ and Dreamfall, but the part of what makes these games great is the worldbuilding and in Dreamfall the playable characters all have their own thoughts about the people and environment around them (which an LP may or may not pick up).

This was a fucking tease though. I loved what I played, but I wished it was longer.

misho8723

Banned
So, the next episode is going to be released when? And are there some informations about some patch-update to fix some of the technical problems?

Slowdive

Banned
So, the next episode is going to be released when? And are there some information about some patch-update to fix some of the technical problems?

We don't know exactly when, though a few months ago they said they were planning an aggressive release schedule, so I guess it shouldn't be too long. Patch is coming this week.

Slowdive

Banned
Incoming performance patch

It's been almost one week since launch, and that week has been a real roller-coaster. We've had a ton of positive feedback on the story, the atmosphere, the art, the gameplay and the game world — and some constructive criticism when it comes to performance and stability. Thank you all for your passion, your support and your feedback so far. It has been very helpful and encouraging, and we really appreciate it.

We've also taken it all to heart — the good and the not-so-good — and the team has been hard at work squashing bugs, optimising the art and improving the code.

Last week we patched the Linux and Mac versions to fix some ugly shader bugs — and this week we're patching all platforms to increase overall performance.

Version 1.1. of Dreamfall Chapters will be ready for internal testing tomorrow, Tuesday. If the testing goes well and nothing major pops up, we should be able to have the patch out on Wednesday. If not, then Thursday or Friday — but this week for sure.

We will also post proper patch notes to let you all know what's been fixed and what's changed. In the meantime, the highlights are:

Windows 64-bit version. We hope this will fix a few of the memory-related problems some players have been reporting.

A rare bug where players get a black screen when entering certain locations in Europolis. Currently, a reload usually fixes the problem, but there is now a permanent and proper fix.

General performance. We've done a lot of visual optimisation to reduce draw-calls and to improve frame-rate.

Added visual settings to allow players to tweak depth-of-field effect and shadow draw distance.

Gameplay optimisation, mostly for non-player characters, to reduce CPU load.

Some tweaks to the choice and consequence system, to better visualise when things change based on your decisions.

There are more fixes and changes in patch 1.1. and once it goes live, we will post the patch notes.

In the meantime, we want to thank you all for you continued patience and support! We know that some of you have been experiencing problems since launch, and we sincerely hope this upcoming patch will fix at least some of them.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/237850/announcements/detail/207490245646775516

Feep

Banned
Dreamfall just crashed so bad that it literally broke my computer. I can no longer boot to Windows.

I'm serious.

I can't even get into Safe Mode or repair options. What the fuck just happened?

Re-edit: some diagnostics told me my primary hard drive died. Just a coincidence, I guess...damn, though.

Durante

Looking forward to 1.1. I hope the performance will no longer be so random across chapters (70 FPS at 4k in one of them and 11 (!) in another).

I guess I'll need to get to that 64 bit GeDoSaTo version.

Dreamfall just crashed so bad that it literally broke my computer. I can no longer boot to Windows.

I'm serious.

I can't even get into Safe Mode or repair options. What the fuck just happened?

Re-edit: some diagnostics told me my primary hard drive died. Just a coincidence, I guess...damn, though.
I was about to say that this is impossible.

- J - D -

Very much looking forward to the patch. And the Giant Bomb quick look was hilarious! I really do hope that
Shitbot
will be in contention for character of the year. That would be so great.

Feep

Banned
Got things back up and running.

A little disappointed with the length and density of events, but that's the episodic way, I guess. Still a lovely world and such charming writing. It'll probably be for-EVER until Chapter 2. = (

<3 Ragnar

valeo

Don't have a whole lot of time to play games these days - liked the look of this in the Quick Look but wondering if I will be completely lost if I play it without knowing anything about the stories of the old games?

dreamfall

Playing through it again- fumbling around with different choices, but I don't want to ruin my experience the first go around! Just want to wander through Europolis for a bit...

addik

Finally got around the glitches that prevented me from completing the game (aka, the one where the game crashes all the time whenever I enter Reza's office), and I have to say that it was a great starter. I finished the book in about four hours, so I am surprised at the length especially since Ragnar said that Book 1 is the shortest of all. So I am expecting about 5-6 hours in the other books? I did take my sweet time in playing the game and going around Propast, despite it being laggy and crashing several times.

Interlude spoilers
What the heck just happened there, and did I really just get to control a baby?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it. Spoilers pertaining to Reza (and the end of Dreamfall: TLJ):

I've always believed Reza died early on in Dreamfall: TLJ, and that whoever we see at the end is some sort of fake, as Zoe suggests. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes.

Finished it. Spoilers pertaining to Reza (and the end of Dreamfall: TLJ):

I've always believed Reza died early on in Dreamfall: TLJ, and that whoever we see at the end is some sort of fake, as Zoe suggests. I'm very interested in seeing where this goes.
He must be fake or been tampered with somehow. Even beyond the evidence from Dreamfall, why would he help frame the whistleblower for the conspiracy he was uncovering? The real Reza would know Damien Cavanaugh is not guilty.

Patch looks like it's live or almost just. Patch notes on Steam:

Version 1.1 of Dreamfall Chapters has been released for all platforms.

Amongst other things, this new version improves performance and reduces memory usage, resulting in better frame-rates and fewer crashes.

Fixes and changes include:
'The Story So Far' recap video available from the main menu: watch a three-minute summary of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Reduced memory usage, particularly in Europolis
Improved overall performance
Fixed stuck on black screen when loading into certain scenes (e.g. Pandemonium)
Fixed shaders that sometimes caused graphical artefacts on all platforms
Altered some visual effects on Mac and Linux that were causing black artefacts (e.g. in opening cinematic)
More granular options in graphics settings (e.g. disable depth-of-field, change shadow draw-distance)
Updated German subtitles and voice overs, and updated French subtitles
Improved localised menu interface
Fixed random failure to retrieve list of Facebook friends
Always syncs with Steam Cloud when game exits
Support for Xbox One controller in Windows verified. Make sure you are using the official Microsoft drivers
…and a whole host of smaller fixes and tweaks, including a 'consequence notification' for the most important choice in the game:
Zoë's career.

Many players are still unaware that the first Decision Point
branches the game into two unique gameplay-and-story paths for Zoë in Europolis.
We wanted to better highlight this fact.

You might have noticed that we are no longer distributing a 64-bit Mac client. It turns out that our engine has a number of problems with 64-bit builds, resulting in random crashes. Until this is fixed, we are moving all clients to 32-bit. You will still see improved performance and memory usage.

We hope this patch improves everyone's experience with the game. Please let us know how it performs on your hardware. The team appreciates your honest feedback — whether it's positive or filed under 'constructive criticism'. We are currently considering a version 1.2 and your feedback will be instrumental in that process.

Thanks so much for your patience, feedback and support this past week! We can't do this without you, and we really hope the wait has been worth it.

Onwards & upwards: Book Two is next!

Spoilered a couple bits just in case people are adamant about avoiding any details, but given they've talked about it themselves, it's probably public knowledge. But for now, I'll err on the side of caution.

Would love updated performance impressions from the worst areas, especially if you guys have any direct metrics to compare.

_Ryo_

So watched a bit of a lp bc i know my comp cant play this game. Seems like the actions have much more consequence than the tell tale twd games. The stories are actually affected by your decisions. Shitbot vs kidbot ftw.

Also how many eps are there supposed to be? 5? 5-6 hours each seems like a good deal.

Top Bottom