• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

Heigic

The clip where they are just jumping in place on the same car, no wonder they think it's dull.

Input dull = output dull.

Maybe it's a design fail by Insomniac that they are not forcing you to not do that or making the highscore more important by changing the damage of your weapons or something but you could at least try to emulate the way Insomniac plays it. Maybe it will even be fun that way.

Probably explains why on rails sequences and QTEs are so popular in games.

Xando

Watching several streams over the weekend i'm kinda disappointed aswell. From what i saw movement is quite slow and auto aim is always on when grinding. Story missions looked liked "go there and kill 5 waves" kind of stuff. Humor looked pretty bad aswell.

This was the game that was supposed to get me a XB1 :(

I think there will be a huge discrepancy between European and US reviews with the letter giving out good numbers.

So they want grinding rails in the game to "take skill" like in Tony Hawk? That sounds like it would be the absolute worst design choice. Can you imagine trying to balance a grind while shooting enemies? That would be awful.

These guys don't know what they're talking about.

ironcreed

Banned
I think his critique is dull and it nearly put me to sleep. What a wet blanket. The game looks like a vibrant, in your face riot. And as long as it is not broken, I am not going to be overly analytical of it not having some spectacular story or anything like that.

I mean, come on. You are grinding and bouncing around, looking like you just escaped from the mad house, while fighting mutants with ridiculous weapons in an apocalypse that looks like a rainbow just exploded for crying out loud. I think I will manage to find a good time in there somewhere, but of course I will wait and see.

McDougles

So they want grinding rails in the game to "take skill" like in Tony Hawk? That sounds like it would be the absolute worst design choice. Can you imagine trying to balance a grind while shooting enemies? That would be awful.

I think he was talking about maintaining your combo in the video, not about how grinding works mechanically. I wish I could say more, but wait until Monday at 3:01 AM EDT.

Zero²

Isnt it auto aim anyway? So the could very well do that instead of mindless grinding.

Resistance 3 "good"

Infamous "dull"

Ok.

Resistance 3 was amazing. It's a shame R2 probably made a lot of people not give it a chance.

Infamous was dull. The combat felt great. Traversal and and graphics were amazing. But it lacked any sort of diversity. Same few enemies. And clearing the districts was too similar.

This looks great, has cool weapons and traversal seems interesting but if it suffers the same with similar enemies and just clearing waves I can see a valid issue.

ironcreed

Banned

This x 1,000,000.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Say what you will about the accuracy of the commentary, but the video does make the game look quite boring.

It's not "bloody good"?!?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7tsuuWJ-k

I pretty much have a feeling that this will get mixed reviews. The style of the game just isn't for everyone.
I can see this being the case because it is meant to be a unique game.
There are two people on the same website who have opposite opinions.
I think it will easily average 8/10 after all the reviews.

Edit: This feels more like Dead Rising 3 than the actual game.

Einbroch

Banned
You still have to point in the general direction of the enemies I imagine.

So you aim in the general direction and pull the trigger while going back and forth and generally not having to fear death? And even if you die you're not punished at all?

I dunno, seems boring to me, if what they say is true.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The colorful open world seems to be this games main (and only) real selling point.

They knocked that part out of the park at least, but if the gameplay doesn't hold up I can see why people think it's a dull game. This video certainly didn't do it any favors.

That's the impression I've gotten from all the footage and previews I've seen so far. Their comments about how the humor isn't half as clever as it thinks it is, and they don't really subvert the tropes they've made fun of in promotional materials, is another red flag.

As excited as I was when we first saw the game, the more Insomniac has shown the more suspect it's looked.

Yeah I think people have been blinded by the initial hype. It really hasn't looked interesting beyond the visuals. Take them away and what's left looks really dull.

I'm not at all convinced this game is going to be amazing, but these guys seem really, dramatically negative. They even sound depressed talking.

The critique about this gaming having "monsters like Crackdown 2" struck me as particularly dumb. So if Crackdown 2 had human enemies everything would be better? Also the part about the grinding being too easy. Do they really think the game would benefit from challenging grinding? I suspect these guys will have one of the lower reviews for the game.

Pretty sure that you have auto aim while grinding.

Auto aim doesn't literally mean you don't have to aim.

Bgamer90

Banned
I can see this being the case because it is meant to be a unique game.
There are two people on the same website who have opposite opinions.
I think it will easily average 8/10 after all the reviews.

I was also thinking high 70s/low 80s.

Like I said before, the style and gameplay isn't for everyone. I'm positive I will like this game since it looks like something straight out of the Dreamcast era but I do know a few people who don't like games from that era such as Jet Grind Radio; people who found the style/gameplay more annoying than fun. I think the same will be true for how some people will find Sunset Overdrive.

Freeman

Banned
Maybe I'm not crazy after all, the game looked boring from the start. Usually a game needs either a good narrative or an interesting game-play to hook me and this game doesn't look like it has any. The humor also falls completely flat for me.

Maybe I'm just old now, but I couldn't get hyped for anything this year save for GTAV and TLoU remasters.

Just starting the video it states impressions are like two hours into the game. Watching the streams it seems clear the game has a learning curve to it and you can see players getting much better with the combat and traversal.

Its reasons like this I'm afraid the game will review poorly and one of the reasons Insomniac included that review Sunset TV in game episode to explain some of the more advance traversal moves to reviewers. Seems like it takes time to really learn (which most gamers appreciate more than most reviewers...).

I'm watching the rest though. Can't stand this guys voice though lol

Xando

Auto aim doesn't literally mean you don't have to aim.

You have to point in the direction while kind of slow grinding around. From what i've seen on streams the grinding should have been faster.

Its a shame, the art looks really really good but the humor and gameplay look quite boring/bad in my opinion.

Woffls

I think it's likely that a boring game is going to seem especially dull if it presents itself as Sunset Overdrive does.

It has always looked like a lot of fun to play, but after you've embraced the mechanics... what if you're just left with fetch-quests and using your stupid weapons to.. I dunno... just kill stuff, who cares, look how FUN this is!

Wait for reviews. I think this will be a divisive game, with positive reviews hinging mostly on aesthetic and attitude, and the rest focussing on the gamey bits. Conjecture on my part, of course.

From the get go this game has not grabbed my interest. I watched a few streams last night on twitch and I got the feeling of very boring. However, it may be like watching someone playing an MMo. Incredibly boring to watch but fun to play. I'm not willing to purchase a xbox to find out though.

ironcreed

Banned
The colorful open world seems to be this games main (and only) real selling point.

They knocked that part out of the park at least, but if the gameplay doesn't hold up I can see why people think it's a dull game. This video certainly didn't do it any favors.

I don't know, it looks pretty damn fun to me. The grinding, wall running and bouncing around seems incredibly responsive and some of the weapons and abilities are insane. I doubt the first two hours will adequately cover even a fraction of what is on offer.

Gurish

Is he serious with the "the GTA is a fetch quest kind of game"?
Maybe it's true for 4, but 5 is full of amazing missions and barely any fetch quests.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
This game is going to be marmite. The reviews are going to be all over the place.

Welcome to next gen gaming. Different websites seem to use different review scales and it's making metacritic scores pretty strange. We need to switch to a positive/negative aggregator like Rotten Tomatoes. That'll get rid of all this review score crap and get people to focus on the actual opinions of the writer.

Bsigg12

Maybe it's true for 4, but 5 is full of amazing missions and barely any fetch quests.

I feel like the video is satire. There are some statements that conflict with some of their earlier things about the game and then some crazy ass remarks like the GTA one.

RulkezX

I don't know, it looks pretty damn fun to me. The grinding, wall running and bouncing around seems incredibly responsive and some of the weapons and abilities are insane. I doubt the first two hours will adequately cover even a fraction of what is on offer.

The wall running , bouncing and grinding are the main reason I've canned my pre order and am waiting for GAF impressions and reviews.

The weapons look as we'd expect from Insomniac and the art style is cool, but the movement looks slow and awkward and I worry that it will become a real annoyance for me.

I cant remember the last time I wanted a demo for a games as much as I do SO.

This looks like one of those games that is more fun to watch than it is to actually play.

The guy from the other videogamer preview said it was the exact opposite for him. He thought the game looked dull on video but he enjoyed it when he actually sat down with the game.

I do know a few people who don't like games from that era such as Jet Grind Radio; people who found the style/gameplay more annoying than fun. I think the same will be true for how some people will find Sunset Overdrive.
I can see that.
Me personally to mix in Jet Grind Radio and inFAMOUS is right up my alley and this is the first AAA game in a while to get me excited that is not from Nintendo.

Sounds like you don't have many abilities during the beginning of the game; could be why it feels a bit dull for some people.
Yeah, I could see you having to play 3-4 hours to get everything and then tackle the harder missions. With the story taking at least 10 hours to beat, I could see it being a bit dull until you unlock everything. Although I did not let KH2's boring start stop me enjoying the game. So I will go with that in mind.

Completely agree.

Hoo-doo

Banned

GTA actually is a lot of fetch quests, only are they made awesome by incredible characters and a fun story.

GTA5 did try and sprinkle in something fresh with the missions though. Loved that game.

Bgamer90

Banned
From the other thread:

from all of the press I've heard from, and all of the streams I've watched, that's like, the one negative impression.

also - two hours is in no way enough to judge the game (and they may have played farther, hard to know!) - you don't have a full weapon wheel yet, you don't have air dash, you have barely fought Fizzco robots or Gunkers etc.

I was up till like 1:30am playing the game and having a blast... which is insane because I have played this game so much in the last year, but I still think it's a blast.

so to each their own, but I love the game, and I'm excited about seeing reviews hit on 10/27.

Sounds like you don't have many abilities during the beginning of the game; could be why it feels a bit dull for some people.

Top Bottom