• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSR now available to those peons that still have Kepler or Fermi Nvidia GTX GPU's.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-48-whql-driver-released

The new GeForce Game Ready 344.48 WHQL drivers are now available to download automatically through GeForce Experience, and from GeForce.com. These Game Ready drivers optimize your experience in forthcoming games like Civilization: Beyond Earth and Lords Of The Fallen, and enable NVIDIA Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) technology on Fermi and Kepler GeForce GTX 500, 600 and 700 Series desktop graphics cards. In addition, the new Game Ready drivers add nearly two-dozen profiles for SLI and 3D Vision systems, as well as other changes and updates.
Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) For Fermi & Kepler GeForce GTX Desktop GPUs

Alongside our record-breaking, critically-acclaimed GeForce GTX 980 and 970 graphics cards, we introduced a new software feature that enables gamers to enjoy 4K-quality graphics on any HD screen. Called Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR), the tech is built into GeForce Experience’s game setting recommendations, allowing players to dramatically increase image quality with a single click. How it works is simple: compatible games are rendered at a higher, more detailed resolution, and the image is intelligently shrunk back down to the resolution of your monitor using a custom-made filter, giving you up to 4K-quality graphics on your screen.

With the new Game Ready drivers installed, you can now use this exciting, easy to use feature on GeForce GTX 500, 600, 700 and 900 Series GeForce GTX graphics cards.

meptrep

Is this better than just creating a custom 4K resolution in the Nvidia control panel and playing games like that?

Durante

Is this better than just creating a custom 4K resolution in the Nvidia control panel and playing games like that?
Yes, absolutely. Like GeDoSaTo, the downsampling is of much higher quality (and tweakable in terms of sharpness<->artifacts tradeoff [though not as much as GeDoSaTo :p]).

It also works with arbitrary refresh rates and display hardware. Like GeDoSaTo. Though it's currently limited to 2x your HW resolution in each dimension (unlike GeDoSaTo :p).

Also, it works with any 3D API and without any compatibility issues (unlike GeDoSaTo :p).

Mr Swine

Banned

Yes, a lot easier!

OP I was going to make this thread an hour ago, but didn't do it because I thought it there was one. Works great on stalker and starcraft 2 (after the cursor glitch)

meptrep

Yes, absolutely. Like GeDoSaTo, the downsampling is of much higher quality (and tweakable in terms of sharpness<->artifacts tradeoff [though not as much as GeDoSaTo :p]).

It also works with arbitrary refresh rates and display hardware. Like GeDoSaTo. Though it's currently limited to 2x your HW resolution in each dimension (unlike GeDoSaTo :p).

Also, it works with any 3D API and without any compatibility issues (unlike GeDoSaTo :p).

Huh, that's pretty cool. Looking forward to trying it on my 780 later. You also reminded me to try using GeDoSaTo again, I'll try that later as well.

Redmoon

Look forward to trying it out today when I get the chance.
So it will work with my 92hz oc I have going at 1080p? Would be nice to do 4k downsampling at that refresh rate in Source.

Durante

Look forward to trying it out today when I get the chance.

So it will work with my 92hz oc I have going at 1080p? Would be nice to do 4k downsampling at that refresh rate in Source.
Yes.

Only Skyrim from my games library is supported by DSR, i think (is there a comatibility games list?)
Every single game that supports arbitrary resolutions should work. Enable it globally.

Mr Swine

Banned
So is there anything I can do with games with small fonts or text? Irritating not being able to play with DSR on :/

Danlord

Only Skyrim from my games library is supported by DSR, i think (is there a comatibility games list?)

How do you apply it for Skyrim? I have it in the Global Settings and I can downsample by all the factors and I can get the desktop from 4K but loading Skyrim up is still rendering from 1080p

KePoW

Banned
Durante (or anyone) -- does downsampling provide better anti aliasing image compared to MSAA?

Like for example, SWTOR provides straight 2x or 4x MSAA option in-game. I'm wondering if downsampling would provide a better image quality than that?

Danlord

You need to change the resolution in the game

Thank you.
Didn't know specifically how it worked, only used GeDoSaTo for FFXIII and thought because it was done by the tool for XIII that I'd have to do it by driver with DSR, thanks it worked fine.

The last Nvidia driver I installed caused black & blue screen flickering whenever I booted up a game. I actually thought it was my monitor or GPU dying, but a rollback resolved it.

Fingers crossed for this one.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How cool. Gonna try this out with my 570 just because. While I wait for my 970 to arrive.

It is almost November.......which means it is time to replay HL1, HL2, Ep1, and Ep2.

Tell me about that. :lol
Been itching for some Half Life 2 lately... I wanted to wait for the new Cinematic mod to come out though.

Durante (or anyone) -- does downsampling provide better anti aliasing image compared to MSAA?

Like for example, SWTOR provides straight 2x or 4x MSAA option in-game. I'm wondering if downsampling would provide a better image quality than that?

With MSAA you can usually use Inspector and enhance it to SGSSAA, and that is much better than downsampling.
But just MSAA alone doesn't have the supersampling effect that downsampling does so it wont affect stuff like foliage.

Downsampling comes in handy when a game lacks AA options, or has very poor MSAA (most DX11 games)

The Cowboy

Just in case some are wondering (400 Fermi series owners), DSR is available on the 400 series cards as well, i have a GTX 480 and it is showing up for me and is working just fine - no idea why NVidia didn't bother to put the 400 series as compatible.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Yes it does. MSAA only works on geometry, but it misses everything else (shader aliasing, texture aliasing...).

Durante

Read this. At least from "Types of Aliasing" to "Sampling AA Comparison". The author is a bit of an asshole, but he knows what he's talking about in this case.

There is no shorter answer which is correct.

whats the performance hit?
The same as rendering natively at whatever resolution you are downsampling from.

KePoW

Banned
With MSAA you can usually use Inspector and enhance it to SGSSAA, and that is much better than downsampling.
But just MSAA alone doesn't have the supersampling effect that downsampling does so it wont affect stuff like foliage.

Downsampling comes in handy when a game lacks AA options, or has very poor MSAA (most DX11 games)

Yes it does. MSAA only works on geometry, but it misses everything else (shader aliasing, texture aliasing...).

thanks for details!

Read this. At least from "Types of Aliasing" to "Sampling AA Comparison". The author is a bit of an asshole, but he knows what he's talking about in this case.

There is no shorter answer which is correct.

PFD

This reads like paid advertising

:p

Can't wait to try DSR on my ancient GTX 770

Depends. MSAA only works on polygon edges (so it doesn't help against shader or texture aliasing), but in many modern engines it doesn't work as good (or as fast) as intended. In theory 4x MSAA offers better results for polygon edges than 4x DS due to better sample positions. DS on the other hand improves the entire image but comes at a much higher performance cost.

edit:
Sorry, my answer came a bit late.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so again. about that DSR Smoothness % any sweet spot for it? 33% is the default is seems. or should I forget about it and just keep it at 33%?

Did you read the final sentence? I'd fire the advertising company :p

with weird product names like "GeDoSaTo" and "Dsfix" that sound like attacks from Dragon Ball Z I'd fire them ages ago as well :p

So this DSR is just a more simple way of downsampling compared to the traditional method but with more options? And is the performance hit is the same or better?

riflen

Why are they calling this release 'Game Ready' driver?

Because the driver is ready for the games Civilization: Beyond Earth & Lords Of The Fallen.

So this DSR is just a more simple way of downsampling compared to the traditional method but with more options? And is the performance hit is the same or better?

Pretty much. It's downsampling at the driver level, rather than the output level. So, it's independent of the display device's capabilities. There are some options you didn't have before, mainly tweaking the sharpness of the image. But you're limited at the moment to a few fixed multiples of your base resolution, so it's a little more restrictive in that way. Expect performance cost to be the same as if you added a custom resolution.

Daingurse

Cool for people without Maxwell gpus. I ooooove the feature, it's just so fucking easy. Also, I can now downsample to 4K on my TV when before I couldn't get past 3200 x 1800 using the custom resolution method.

KePoW

Banned
Now I understand the best accurate answer is to try for myself.

But for a 680, do yall think I should even bother taking the time to install these new drivers? Would the performance hit be way too much?

(I certainly would not try 4k on a 680... but what about 150%?)

Top Bottom