• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Police Officer Kills Puppy on Video :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
1. There was zero reason I could see to shoot that dog but...

Couldn't see if it was a puppy.
Aggressive dogs also wag their tails.
No idea what the dogs were doing prior to that edit.

Tail wagging is a sign of being energetic. Could be playful, excited, happy, or (uncommonly) agitated. But it's not a sign of agitation for dogs as much as it is a side effect of a heightened emotional state - You want to be looking for bared teeth, listening for guttural barks, rigidity, or contact free lunging/mouthing and muzzle punches. These are actual signs of agitation in particular.

Do not play devil's advocate and spread false information - A dog wagging its tail is as agitated as a
black man walking down the street is threatening.

br3wnor

This is my biggest fear as a dog owner. God dammit. RIP lil dude.

Word.

Cops came to my girlfriend's houses door once at 2am because kids in the neighborhood had broke into some cars on her street. Now her dog is part german Shepard and decent size but a complete sweetheart. Of course, when strangers come to the door, he starts barking. Well her mom goes to open the door and my girlfriends dog goes out the front door, he's not barking or anything at this point, just roaming the front yard to check out all the commotion. The cop says to my girlfriends mom "Get control of your dog or I'm going to have to shoot it" Thank god my girlfriend was able to get the dog in the house, but that shit really scares me.

I mean cops get away with killing unarmed people, so they really get away with killing dogs.

What is the punishment for killing a dog in Texas? I used to watch that Animal Cops show and it's disappointing how punishments for animal abusers are so light.

This is why police departments have freaking Animal Control/Care Officers.

Tired of the stigma that American Staffordshire Terriers get.

Camp Lo

Banned
More detailed story at -- http://ktla.com/2014/10/22/video-shows-texas-police-officer-fatally-shooting-tail-wagging-puppy/

Video of a Texas police officer fatally shooting a tail-wagging pit bull puppy has gone viral, provoking death threats against the officer and outrage at authorities in the Dallas-area city of Cleburne.

The video, apparently first posted to Facebook on Oct. 16, has prompted an expanded investigation into the Aug. 10 shooting, along with calls for the officer’s firing.

The owner of the dog that was killed, a 6-month-old pit bull named Maximus, requested a copy of the video after the shooting. It’s not clear how the video got released on social media.

Taken by the officer’s lapel camera, the video shows the officer making what sound like kissing noises to Maximus, who appears to be wagging his tail. Then, three shots rings out.

“Why? I just don’t understand why,” dog owner Amanda Henderson told KTLA sister station KDAF.

Every shot makes her cringe, she said of the 22-second video.

In two statements, the city of Cleburne has said that the incident is under investigation. The officer involved is on paid administrative leave and has received death threats, according to the city, which has about 30,000 residents and is about 50 miles southwest of Dallas.

“The short video does not tell the whole story,” the city stated.

The officer was responding to a 911 call in which residents reported three loose dogs had trapped them in a vehicle, according to the city’s account. One dog was immediately found, but two others remained loose, the city stated.

“The officer was attempting to secure the other dogs until animal control arrived when one dog became aggressive,” the city’s first statement, released Oct. 17, said.

A lapel-cam video taken before the shooting shows the officer petting the first dog, later identified as Dough Boy, which bounds up to him on a residential street. The officer then approaches a house to find out if the resident recognizes the black-and-white dog.

“Watch yourself. Somebody said this one was aggressive. I have’t seen it, but …” the officer told the resident.

Minutes later, Maximus was dead.

No video has been posted showing what occurred between the officer’s encounter with Dough Boy and the shooting of Maximus, but the officer’s police report was released to the local Cleburne Times-Review.

After driving around, the officer, identified as Kevin Dupre, found the other two dogs nearby in a grassy area between homes. They didn’t seem aggressive at first, but then one began growling when the animals got within 20 feet of the officer, the report states.

“I made kissing noises in an attempt to calm the dogs,” the report states. “I raised my duty weapon to the ready position pointed at the growling dog’s head. As soon as I lifted my pistol, the dog began coming up the hill, continuing to growl and display its teeth. The other dog began backing away. I fired three shots at it. It rolled back into the ditch and died.”

A Facebook page called Justice 4 Maximus states that the Henderson family’s three dogs got out while the family was out shopping. When the Hendersons returned home, a neighbor told them a police officer had shot one of their pets — Maximus — and placed another — Coco — in the pound.

A third lapel-cam video from the shooting’s aftermath shows a responding animal control officer easily collecting Coco while the body of Maximus lies in the ditch.

After the shooting video spread online — shared by animal advocates, police critics and others — the city released a second statement on Monday, saying an administrative review of the incident was expanding “as new information becomes available.” The Police Department’s policy on the handling of aggressive animals in future was also being examined.

The Texas Rangers had been asked to conduct an independent investigation by the city’s mayor.

“While the video is very disturbing, we need to honor the process and complete reviews,” said Mayor Scott Cain.

Death threats against the officer were being taken seriously, Cain said.

An online petition to “terminate” Dupre had garnered more than 59,000 signatures by Tuesday.

This is why police departments have freaking Animal Control/Care Officers.

Tired of the stigma that American Staffordshire Terriers get.

This was the main issue but even owning a red-nosed years ago, if my wife was trapped in her car because three of these dogs were circling it, fuck it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't want to watch the video. I've developed too much of a heart since our family got a dog. It being a puppy is just awful. The poor poor thing.

commedieu

Banned
Its insulting.

"We know what you saw, but you didn't see it the way we were told it happened by the officer. So please, we have to put this officer on paid vaction while we figure it out, now, since this video surfaced."

Some form, every time. Months go on, and then people forget as there's a new statement from another Chief saying the same thing. Its not that there are more cameras around to catch these rare instances anymore. Its that these aren't rare instances being filmed because these officers simply do not give a damn about doing their job with civilians in mind.

“While the video is very disturbing, we need to honor the process and complete reviews,” said Mayor Scott Cain.

Like that.

It is possible that prior to the events in this clip, the officer saw the dogs behave in an aggressive manner.

Either way, I will withhold judgement until things are clarified.

TheJLC

Sorry but the dog did not run toward the officer or make any threatening moves toward the officer. It looked more like this guy wanted something to shoot. He makes kissing sounds and then just fires at the dog as it stands there. It's a sickening shoot, this officer needs to go.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Don't mind that mexico is already missing

7a4wwsz.gif

rip south america

DonDraper

Banned
Fucking cops are such pussies these days. Oh shit, I might get a scratch and a bite that I'll most certainly survive? Shit, better kill this fucker. If a cop ever shot my dog, the dude is gonna end up killing me because I'll end up going apeshit on the guy without even thinking.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tail wagging is a sign of being energetic. Could be playful, excited, happy, or (uncommonly) agitated. But it's not a sign of agitation for dogs as much as it is a side effect of a heightened emotional state - You want to be looking for bared teeth, listening for guttural barks, rigidity, or contact free lunging/mouthing and muzzle punches. These are actual signs of agitation in particular.

Do not play devil's advocate and spread false information - A dog wagging its tail is as agitated as a
black man walking down the street is threatening.

wat

Did I say, "All dogs wagging their tails are aggressive?"

And did you say, "No dog wagging its tail is ever aggressive?"

Please read what I actually typed and either dispute it or carry on.

ItIsOkBro

What the fucking fuck. Please tell me the full story I'm sure it will totally make sense and justify this.

For the record, there's two dogs in the video, you can see the shot dog in the bottom corner right before he points the gun at the other alive dog.

just by reading the description made my stomach twist and turn. I won't watch this because of the fact I have a little dog myself :( fuckin sickening to say the least

I watched it. A six month old pit bull isn't as tiny as you make it out to be. This is not an ideal outcome, but there has to be an understanding that loose dogs can be dangerous. There are two dogs that one officer had to confront, and he had a report that the dogs were aggressive.

I'm not making it out to be anything, the video clearly shows two small puppies, showing no aggressiveness whatsoever (and even if they were, they're way too small for someone to need a gun to deal with them), one of which is murdered in cold blood by a lying, scumbag cop.

Koppai

I wish there was a .gif of bugs bunny sawing Texas off of the USA. This is terrible.
Nah we need one where cops are being blasted off the earth into the sun. Fucking sicko. Stop killing innocent people and innocent dogs you fucking shithead cops ugh.

Drensch

Fucking cops are such pussies these days. Oh shit, I might get a scratch and a bite that I'll most certainly survive? Shit, better kill this fucker. If a cop ever shot my dog, the dude is gonna end up killing me because I'll end up going apeshit on the guy without even thinking.
The video we've seen tends to suggest excessive force by the officer.

However, if if was actually coming at him? I'd have no issue with the dog being put down. Me getting bitten isn't worth it living.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit... are we sure the dog is entirely innocent? I say we wait for all the facts before making judgements...

DonDraper

Banned
The video we've seen tends to suggest excessive force by the officer.

However, if if was actually coming at him? I'd have no issue with the dog being put down. Me getting bitten isn't worth it living.

I dunno. To me it's the same thing as a cop killing a guy because he didn't want to get punched in the face. You'll fucking live, dude.

Two Words

Dogs generally do not attack suddenly. They give lots of threats before attacking. It's absurd for a cop to shoot a dog just for seeming aggressive. Cops shouldn't be able to shoot people or animals just because they are afraid.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yup, I always tell my fiancée to never have our dogs out or around if she ever sees any police in the area. God forbid one of them barks and takes a bullet to the head.
Nearly happened to us in the 80's. Mom was out back with me, and our dog on a leash. A guy runs past us with two cops chasing him and our dog jumps out towards the police barking. One stops, pulls out his gun, and points it at our dog. Luckily his partner tells him to put his gun away, he listens, and they take off again.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
On my phone, sorry for the mobile link. Looks like no charges against the officer.

http://m.cleburnetimesreview.com/ne...648-8863-11e4-aa79-5b39284a32d8.html?mode=jqm

An independent investigator has found that Cleburne Police Department officer Kevin Dupre was justified in the shooting of Maximus, a pit bull, on Aug. 10.

According to the investigator’s report, “Dupre reasonably believed that he needed to use lethal/deadly force in defense of his own life.”

“While this is in many ways a polarizing issue with a segment of the citizens in and around Cleburne, and the death of this dog is clearly an extremely emotional, terrible and personal loss for Amanda Henderson, Quinton Tatum and their children, the fact is a police officer may use lethal/deadly force when he or she ‘reasonably believes that the action is in defense of human life, including the officer’s own life,’” according to the report.

zma1013

I guess those sweet little kissing noises we hear on the video where he obviously tries to lure the dog to him were actually the officer's screams of terror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom