• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Nexus 9 |OT| Looks like an iPad, must be an iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

It looks a fantastic device! I'll have to see one in the flesh before I comment on if I'd actually want one.

It's not like I can get a tablet. My house has terrible connection and a 150GB/month data cap.

It's why I have a Oneplus One and Unlimited Internet from T-Mobile. If only if I knew how to get unlimited tethering in T-Mobile. I only have 2.5GB/month tethering. :/

I'm happy I'm waiting for the Sand one later, mainly because by then, all the reviews for the tablet will be out before that gets released :).

Aiii

So not worth it
So how would I get hdmi on this thing. Only thing holding me back from preordering

Buy a Chromecast and stream stuff instead. Much better.

If you really want HDMI:
hdmi-micro_usb.jpg

Rengoku

As much as I would love to jump on the Nexus 9, the weight and storage is a pretty big concern for me. Personally, I'm leaning heavily towards the Xperia Z3 tablet.

Even though its an 8 inch tablet vs 8.9 inch, the Z3 is significantly lighter and thinner. With a microsd slot and similar price point, its pretty hard to beat. And having PS4 remote play built in is an added bonus.

KiTA

So when is the LTE version going up for presale? $600 + $130 for the new case is a bit steep but I use my 3G on my Nexus 7 1st gen every day, so...

L-gon

If these benches are accurate, are we looking at a throttled N9 GPU?

r48l2GL.png

Probably doesn't matter much as hardware is vastly more powerful than what is necessary for current tablet OSs, just thought it was interesting.

Aiii

So not worth it
What's with this picture?

47qqv7.jpg

It makes the display look like it's not very good. Maybe it's a bad pic? Hopefully?
They're not official pictures, so just a bad pic by the photographer in question. Not to worry, probably the screen brightness messing with the camera's focus.

WillyFive

Hopefully this means more Android tablets will adopt the 4:3 aspect ratio as well. The days of using planks as tablets need to end.

Chris R

r48l2GL.png

Probably doesn't matter much as hardware is vastly more powerful than what is necessary for current tablet OSs, just thought it was interesting.

Bummer if true! If it can be properly unlocked I'd love to see what the numbers look like. I also want to see Dolphin benchmarks :(

VertPin

Hey GAF, I'm in the market for a portable laptop. I used to own a 7.3 LBS 17.3 inch laptop and it was incredibly heavy to lug around. I also happen to be a college student. I sold that off recently, but am still in the market for something portable. I currently own a gaming PC, so it's not like I need a laptop for anything graphics intensive.

What brings me here is that I currently own a Nexus 5. And by God, it is a beauty. I switched from iOS to Android and I haven't looked back. My problem is, I still need some device to take notes with in school. I need something portable so that I may also watch YouTube, browse GAF, etc. Absolutely no gaming. It also helps that I'm really invested in the Android marketplace....and I'm purchasing a Nexus 6 as well. :D

Would making the purchase for this tablet be worth it? The specs on it are also really nice. I'm just worried because of two things...

I've never owned a tablet before.
The screen display is 4:3. I hear people always talking bad about it because of that. How would that impact myself from browsing the web and watching videos? Really curious on this one.

---

Otherwise, this tablet looks awesome. I would go for the 32GB Indigo Black...but I need the push, GAF. Can this replace my old (incredibly heavy) laptop? I adore the portability of this thing...just a little worried about the screen display based on what I've heard.

Bigfoot

Glad that they decided to go with the iPad ratio instead of sticking with 16:9. The ratio of the Nexus 7 never felt right with me when using it for most purposes.

f@luS

More than a member.
I want to know. Will i be able to use ps4 remote play on it ? Or shouldni get a Sony tablet ? If so which ONE?

Aiii

So not worth it
Hey GAF, I'm in the market for a portable laptop. I used to own a 7.3 LBS 17.3 inch laptop and it was incredibly heavy to lug around. I also happen to be a college student. I sold that off recently, but am still in the market for something portable. I currently own a gaming PC, so it's not like I need a laptop for anything graphics intensive.

What brings me here is that I currently own a Nexus 5. And by God, it is a beauty. I switched from iOS to Android and I haven't looked back. My problem is, I still need some device to take notes with in school. I need something portable so that I may also watch YouTube, browse GAF, etc. Absolutely no gaming. It also helps that I'm really invested in the Android marketplace....and I'm purchasing a Nexus 6 as well. :D

Would making the purchase for this tablet be worth it? The specs on it are also really nice. I'm just worried because of two things...

I've never owned a tablet before.
The screen display is 4:3. I hear people always talking bad about it because of that. How would that impact myself from browsing the web and watching videos? Really curious on this one.

---

Otherwise, this tablet looks awesome. I would go for the 32GB Indigo Black...but I need the push, GAF. Can this replace my old (incredibly heavy) laptop? I adore the portability of this thing...just a little worried about the screen display based on what I've heard.

If all you need it for is taking notes, then sure a tablet with a keyboard accessory is a good alternative to a laptop, there are many Bluetooth keyboards for Tablets already, and they will release a special keyboard case for this one, you can check it out on Google's Nexus 9 page.

I don't know who you hear talking bad about the ratio, but whoever it is he's lying, 4:3 is by far superior for most Tablet use, only videos being the exception, but only if you really mind black bars. general consensus seems to be that 4:3 is a much needed change to the Android landscape.

I want to know. Will i be able to use ps4 remote play on it ? Or shouldni get a Sony tablet ? If so which ONE?
Officially no, unofficially, with a rooted machine, yes.

VertPin

If all you need it for is taking notes, then sure a tablet with a keyboard accessory is a good alternative to a laptop, there are many Bluetooth keyboards for Tablets already, and they will release a special keyboard case for this one, you can check it out on Google's Nexus 9 page.

I don't know who you hear talking bad about the ratio, but whoever it is he's lying, 4:3 is by far superior for most Tablet use, only videos being the exception, but only if you really mind black bars. general consensus seems to be that 4:3 is a much needed change to the Android landscape.

Officially no, unofficially, with a rooted machine, yes.
Thank you, I appreciate your answer. I was looking into the keyboard accessory too...only concern there is the price and lack of touchpad support. I know the screen is there for that, but it would have been cool to see trackpad/touchpad support, rather than putting your hand on the screen for each time you open a new tab.

But I'm sure I'll get over that fast, if I make the purchase.

I think this is the item I'm getting with my work bonus. I'm pretty excited. Never had a Nexus tablet, hell, or any type of tablet of my own. Hello Lollipop!

giga

r48l2GL.png

Might be for thermal reasons. The Shield Tablet is thicker, after all.

Thank you, I appreciate your answer. I was looking into the keyboard accessory too...only concern there is the price and lack of touchpad support. I know the screen is there for that, but it would have been cool to see trackpad/touchpad support, rather than putting your hand on the screen for each time you open a new tab.

But I'm sure I'll get over that fast, if I make the purchase.

Google's also adding Android app support to Chrome OS, so if you need a laptop replacement rather than just a tablet one of the Chromebooks might fit your uses better.

Aiii

So not worth it
Might be for thermal reasons. The Shield Tablet is thicker, after all.

Gonna assume it's build around getting the best possible FPS as well, and it's their chips, so whatever optimization is needed, they would know how to make them.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see the other benchmarks that aren't based on graphical power and focussed more on CPU strength.

iOS is shockingly bad as a tablet OS but the app ecosystem (particularly in terms of games) is unmatched.

That's it in a nutshell.

Yup, Apple stopped giving a shit about iOS on the iPad after iOS 6, but the iPad app support can't be touched and that's what makes the tablet

Has anyone pre-ordered one yet?

I'm having a dilemma on where I should purchase it. This is mostly tied to any issues that I might have down the line and who has the best service.

I've purchased my Nexus 5 32Gb from Google Play but I've never had to contact them service wise for any issues. I did get my Nexus a good month after it came out so I was able to get in on the good batch, but I'm scared to preorder the Nexus 9 for the same reason.

Part of me can't wait, but the next wants to just pull the trigger and let whatever warranty applies, handle it. Has anyone had any bad experience, software and hardware wise, with Google before?

I wish there was still a 7 inch Nexus - my Nexus 7 is the perfect size for me.

That said, the 2013 still runs perfectly well, so it's got another year in it and hopefully there'll be something a bit smaller next year. The Nexus 9 seems much more of a Nexus 10 replacement.

Exactly this. The 9 looks great but I don't want a bigger tablet. I got rid of my original iPad for an N7 and have no desire to go back to the larger form factor.

WillyFive

If only it were 16:9....

Dang

Why? The 4:3 aspect ratio is one of the biggest things that makes this tablet attractive. There is no upside whatsoever to a handheld screen this big to be limited to such an awkward and crippling 16:9 aspect ratio, one of the biggest reasons most Android tablets both feel and are functionally inferior to iPads.

EmiPrime

Yup, Apple stopped giving a shit about iOS on the iPad after iOS 6, but the iPad app support can't be touched and that's what makes the tablet

For me iOS' shortcomings and the crap speakers hold the iPad back too much. Games and an attachment to the Apple ecosystem are good reasons to get an iPad Air but I think in every other aspect the Nexus 9 is better especially as a media consumption device. Can't go wrong with either one though, both great tablets.

Mordeccai

Gawd damn that sand color. What a sexy piece of hardware. My nexus 7 died after I left it uncharged for a month, battery would no longer hold a charge, and I've been kind of craving another tablet. Alas the life of a poor college kid does not really allow for such luxuries.

Azulsky

I feel like the continuing decision to leave out MicroSD and less so microHDMI is really what is turning me off the nexus tablets now.

Really enjoying my Shield tablet because of those 2 reasons, and the dual speakers. It will be interesting to see how much better the 64bit core is, as the 32 bit one has never choked on me so far.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seems like a nice device to play Hearthstone on. Get it together Blizzard and release Android version already!
Throughout the past year, many of you have been asking about the release date for Hearthstone on Android. The team has been hard at work to bring Hearthstone to that platform, and is making great progress. We’re taking things one step at a time and we’ve got our sights set on a release for Android tablets, our next new platform, before the end of the year; we’ve just got a few more mana crystals to polish and some Angry Chickens to chase down.
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/16421347

Arkanius

Why people want 16:9 tablets is beyond me
4:3 is the superior ratio for productivity and media consumption

16:9 is only good for Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom