• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite card battle video game?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Meh, my favorite cards in absolute(in Tag Force 3) are the cloudians(but i like others too)
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Cloudian

300px-CloudianNimbusman-GLAS-EN-C-1E.jpg

This one for example is 5 level water - fairy(so it can be easily evoked and there are many water and fairy cards that can help it), can't be destroyed in battle and can easily and fast gain very high attack points since each fog counter(that can easily become many fast!) grants it 500 additional attack points.

Oh man, I love the Cloudians...but for a sort of goofy reason.

When I was younger, I was part of a Yu-Gi-Oh forum, and wrote a pretty shitty fan-fic. This was during GX, so it was a pretty much copy-and-paste plot, but at an "original school with original Duelists".

But, two of the characters in the story used these cards I made up---one of them were Rainbow Themed Animals that talked to the main character, while the other one was Cloud-based Monsters. This was BEFORE the Gem Beasts (colorful animal monsters that talked) and the Cloudians existed---they were introduced in GX Season 3 a bit after I wrote this fanfic belonging to Johan and Amon.

S-so I always had an attraction to those cards because they were basically the same archetypes I thought up.

I recently tried my hand at writing a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic again, but then I realized it's really difficult and time consuming to try and think of how a Duel will play out

SDCowboy

Hearthstone. It's the best card battle game I've ever played, period. It's deep, yet simple and approachable at the same time.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't know how to play those Tag Force games. They seem to be fun, but they are so confusing for newcomers. The PlayStation/PS2 titles were easy to understand.

I played it long time ago so i'm not 100% sure, but you choose a partner and start dueling against people you want, the more you win the happier the partner is, each time you fill a heart you unlock a partner's story event. There are lots of partners each one with his/her own story and deck, the game is really highly replayable, because different partner means different story and play style, so you want to try each partner.
Other than that there are lessons, a 100 level dungeon, a shop, various minigames, a card recycler and so on.
Nothing complicated really.

Oh man, I love the Cloudians...but for a sort of goofy reason.

When I was younger, I was part of a Yu-Gi-Oh forum, and wrote a pretty shitty fan-fic. This was during GX, so it was a pretty much copy-and-paste plot, but at an "original school with original Duelists".

But, two of the characters in the story used these cards I made up---one of them were Rainbow Themed Animals that talked to the main character, while the other one was Cloud-based Monsters. This was BEFORE the Gem Beasts (colorful animal monsters that talked) and the Cloudians existed---they were introduced in GX Season 3 a bit after I wrote this fanfic belonging to Johan and Amon.

S-so I always had an attraction to those cards because they were basically the same archetypes I thought up.

I recently tried my hand at writing a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic again, but then I realized it's really difficult and time consuming to try and think of how a Duel will play out
Next time put a copyright on your creation!

kunonabi

Not a pure card battle game but it's an amazingly brilliant and deep title nonetheless.

One of my top ten games of all time.

Afrocious

For people saying Forbidden Memories, that game was way too fucking hard and cheap to be fun.

My favorite card game has to be Chain of Memories for the GBA specifically. As far as games being based off of an actual TCG, I put the most time in YGO: World Championship 2000 I think it was called. It was for the GBA and covered up to Yami Malik.

Karkador

Banned

Anyone who likes Triple Triad Tetra Master should check out Card City Nights (it's on Steam and mobile). It's got similar gameplay, but it's a bit deeper, and the entire game is wrapped in card-collecting hooks (deck-building, opening new boosters, battling other characters, etc.), and there's no in-app purchases funnybusiness.

Kirye

Oh man, so many great ones. I'm a sucker for a good card game/mini game.

Digimon Digital Card Battle
This game had SO much content. Just when you thought you were done, the game opened up and became much more challenging. The battles were great as well, similar to the Pokémon TCG but with its own twists. This game needs to land on PSN.

Triple Triad - Final Fantasy 8
The card battles got really easy once you figured out where all the rare cards are but until then the game was crazy fun. Except for the Direct rule. Screw the direct rule.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins were the shit. Not just great card battle games, but BKO was one of the most fun JRPG combat systems ever.

Jawmuncher

I don't care if it counts or not.
Metal gear Acid 2 is the best card game thing ever.

Also the FF9 card game was more fun than 8 or were they the same?

Who

Banned
I enjoyed yugioh for the GBA and Baiten Kaitos if that counts.

A little OT here but are pokemon cards still a thing? Like do all the 1000 or whatever pokemon have a card? Still holographics and rares?

Khrno

Magic games on consoles (although I now have them all on Steam), funny enough I don't quite like Magic Online.

Wish there was a newer version (3DS or Wii U) of the Pokemon TCG too.

Karkador

Banned
A little OT here but are pokemon cards still a thing? Like do all the 1000 or whatever pokemon have a card? Still holographics and rares?

Yep. IIRC, the latest set of cards is based on X/Y (it's largely still the same game, too)

Dr. Buni

I played it long time ago so i'm not 100% sure, but you choose a partner and start dueling against people you want, the more you win the happier the partner is, each time you fill a heart you unlock a partner's story event. There are lots of partners each one with his/her own story and deck, the game is really highly replayable, because different partner means different story and play style, so you want to try each partner.
Other than that there are lessons, a 100 level dungeon, a shop, various minigames, a card recycler and so on.
Nothing complicated really.
Thanks. I guess I found it complicated because I tried to play it in the same way you play the PlayStation/PS2 YGH games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If we just take the battle system into account, I loved the strategy options the original Baten Kaitos had (even if it was sluggish), but Baten Kaitos: Origins, which changed the battle system around (arguably simplifying it), was by far the better game.

I was about to say Hex: Shard of fate but with how development is going my new favorite is Heartstone. It doesn't take hours to play a tournament in Heartstone at least.

espher

Hearthstone is simple? yeah,whatever you say....

Relative to some other card games, yes, yes it is.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but from my personal experience and from watching some competitive play there's certainly not the mechanical breadth of something like M:tG.

Of course, I'm a combo player, and I love weird intricate janky combos, so that could be why. There's certainly some nuance and tactical play, and card advantage/action economy is critical since you have a mostly static flow, but it's just missing that 'something'.

Wichu

Pokémon TCG GBC still the best.

Honorable mentions go to Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition and the World Championship games on GBA/DS (of the DS ones, 2010 was my favourite). The 3DS one sucks.

Top Bottom