• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

I disagree, because I don't see either of those games offering something fundamentally different that could change their respective genres or the gaming industry in general.

Splatoon is in a weird situation in that it addresses Nintendo's inherent lack of shooters on the console yet still adheres to Nintendo's philosophies. Sadly, I think it ultimately won't move the needle. Hopefully it encourages Nintendo to embrace genres they typically don't regardless of how Splatoon does.

Sunset Overdrive is in a similar position. It could help sell Xbox Ones, but I don't see it doing so well that every other shooter is going to be a subversive but lighthearted satire with a deluge of colors.

It's hard to know what game will be a ame changer until it, well, changes the game.

It did land James Gunn a spot to make the best movie of 2014

Big helps, little doses

While Guardians was good, it's pretty far from the best movie of the year. (Yeah yeah, opinions and whatnot) I think his movie Super helped him secure his Guardians gig more than a game no one played.

seriously: how can one declare 2 games that no one has yet played 'the most important games'?...

'the most wacky/colorful-looking, based on previews'? maybe...

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
How in the world is Sunset anything like infamous?

On topic: I don't think so, I like insomniac games, but they usually review mediocre and while this could be fun, it looks repeatitive. Splatoon will probably be fun, but it's probably not going to be a huge hit.

Regardless of art direction and color, Splatoon is pretty much my most anticipated title right now. I didn't even like the character designs that much at first, it took me to see them in action to see how their design makes sense in a functional way. And the great fan-art it spawned, also the realization it's a new big Nintendo IP!

What made me excited about Splatoon is that it looks to be an online multiplayer title that appeals to me, which doesn't happen often. I'm still stuck with TF2 as my one and only at this point. Splatoon has an interesting gameplay mechanic that I can't wait to try out, it just look really fun! That's what I'm here for, it's all about the gameplay and everything else is secondary.

bahaha. What is this madness? Two mediocre games at best.

May I perchance borrow that fine time machine of yours, good Sir?

Everything about Splatoon's mechanics indicates that it could scale up to a very deep, tactical shooter. Sunset Overdrive looks like Insomniac returning to form. It's too early to tell, but SO looks promising and Splatoon has Nintendo's track record going for it.

I watched some video of Splatoon around E3, and it looks like a game for young kids on a system nobody owns. No offense OP, but I don't see that one moving the needle.

aIMEm7u.jpg

Can someone explain to me, what makes Splatoon so special? Paintball guns? Colors? Co-op? I'm pretty sure its been done already in some games before (in LittleBigPlanet, for example).

The combat mechanics. As phanphare suggested, seek out the Treehouse Live commentary session from E3.

The fact that it evokes that late-90s Sega feeling, if only skin deep, helps it shine. I'd be a bit disappointed if Nintendo didn't take Hideki Naganuma up on his offer and have him as a guest composer:

How is Sunset Overdrive or Splatoon more important than Ratchet and Clank given your criteria?

They aren't doing anything new and aren't important releases. I actually think both of them will sell spectacularily below expectations and possible review the same.

dracula_x

Can someone explain to me, what makes Splatoon so special? Paintball guns? Colors? Co-op? I'm pretty sure its been done already in some games before (in LittleBigPlanet, for example).

phanphare

Banned
What made me excited about Splatoon is that it looks to be an online multiplayer title that appeals to me, which doesn't happen often. I'm still stuck with TF2 as my one and only at this point. Splatoon has an interesting gameplay mechanic that I can't wait to try out, it just look really fun! That's what I'm here for, it's all about the gameplay and everything else is secondary.

yep

I see this a lot when talking Splatoon. people who haven't played a shooter since TF2. I'm in the same boat. can't wait! hopefully it will be out before E3 next year

go seek out the Treehouse Live @ E3 videos when they play Splatoon

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
These games are important because

1) They are massively supported by their respective publishers

2) They most definitely are a stark contrast to everything else in their respective genre

I could see Sunset opening the door for new IPs to be a bit more colorful and whimsical. It seems like it's fusion of colorful and lighthearted is mixed with all the darker, edgier stuff that big games normally have, as well. Laying a path that fuses both, rather than keeping colorful "childish" and mature humor "adult" could easily push a tonal shift for future products in the pipeline, especially on Xbox One. Scalebound and Fable Legends both seem to be going along with that push too, even if they're not as pulsingly overdone as SO.

Splatoon seems more loved by the fans than purely Nintendo, to me. I think the characters are appealing enough to make it a quiet hit, and it might allow Nintendo to continue putting their spin on familiar genres. The Steel Diver 3DS MP game seems like it tried to do the same, but I feel like it's forgotten now?

Both games could light a spark on their respective platforms, but I don't think they're enough to cause a shift on their own. But if they can get 1 or 2 big or bigger games to follow them in a few ways, we could legitimately have a shift on our hands.

Alx

I'm very enthusiastic towards Sunset Overdrive (first game I ever preordered), but honestly I don't find it that creative. It's still based on traditional gameplay elements of its genre, only it seems very well done And of course the artistic direction is very strong.
Splatoon though is clearly more creative as far as gameplay is concerned. I like all the ideas it introduces (even if in the end it keeps me less excited than SO).

Anyway, both seem to have great potential, and I'm always happy to see colorful games that don't take themselves seriously, and don't look like clones of something you've seen ten times before.

You can move through the paint that you put down. Can set up ambushes and hide behind enemy lines because of this. Even if the paint is on a wall.

This is shown in almost every video of the game.

NotLiquid

How is Sunset Overdrive or Splatoon more important than Ratchet and Clank given your criteria?

They aren't doing anything new and aren't important releases. I actually think both of them will sell spectacularily below expectations and possible review the same.

I'd say Splatoon is doing new things and is an important release. Nintendo is billing it as a brand new IP of theirs and it got a significant amount of booth exposure for their appearances. On top of that the mechanic of not only having a paint-as-territory for death matching but also using said territory to increase movement options is very much a new concept. It not only creates a fast-paced and competitive meta, but also the sense that no action you take is wasted and constantly rewards you for just acting.

I wouldn't say either games are going to perform amazingly, which is left to see, and I can't say whether they really will be the most "important" game this generation as its way too early to tell and its wholly subjective. That said I do think Splatoon is probably the most original idea to come out of this new generation alongside The Wonderful 101, and its a breath of fresh air for the genre.

Sunset Overdrive looks kind of generic outside of the zany art style though. Doesn't look like it's doing anything new that Jet Set Radio and Infamous didn't do before it.

FloatOn

You cannot generalize an entire generation full of games based on two shooters.

I would say that first person and third person shooters are the most popular genre of game right now. Not that shooters are my favorite genre but I think they have the biggest piece of the pie chart.

So it stands to reason if they make an impact on the most popular genres then they could be the most important games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As someone who has Sunset Overdrive preordered and no interest in Splatoon (at least not yet), I feel that only Splatoon is doing something truly different.

Sunset Overdrive is basically Infamous with goofy guns and a little more parkouring. The more I watch of it, the less I want it, because I know how I am, and the typical unimaginative open world missions will burn me out quickly.

Sethista

How well they will actually turn out is anyone's guess since they are not out yet but depending on how successful they are, it could have serious implications for this generation. Why do I think this? The answer is 2 fold:

1) Creativity
Both Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive seem to fall into familiar territory with their respective genres but both games breathe new life into it either by unconventional travel methods, unconventional weaponry or in the case of Splatoon making the goal NOT to kill the other player but to claim the majority of the map.

2) Art direction
These games are rich with style and both are not afraid at all to be colorful. This is nothing new for Nintendo but the fps genre for them is. For Sunset Overdrive this game is bold enough to have color and style whereas most other third person shooters are some spectrum of brown.

So, the first person and third person shooter genres I believe could seriously use some shaking up and I think these games are the ones to do it. If these fail we could be hiding behind brown waist high objects or running through yet another military campaign for a long, long time.

I dont get the hype for sunset overdrive. For me, that game still needs to show why do I need to care. I dont see anything that has not been done before, from all the previews.

Splatoon reminds me of the tag mode in tony hawk, and unfinished swan, which interests me way more. I think this statement is bold and exagerated.

Well, i like the fact that Sunset Overdrive for example has colors and looks like a blast to play. It's important that they sell well in order to influence other devs to be less safe in creating their games and go the creative way. The brown color palette is really ugly and was overused last gen.

FloatOn

As someone who has Sunset Overdrive preordered and no interest in Splatoon (at least not yet), I feel that only Splatoon is doing something truly different.

Sunset Overdrive is basically Infamous with goofy guns and a little more parkouring. The more I watch of it, the less I want it, because I know how I am, and the typical unimaginative open world missions will burn me out quickly.

To people downplaying Sunset Overdrive:

How many games like Jet Set Radio has there been since Jet Set Radio?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

You might like Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare, too. It's mechanics aren't as original (though some of the modes are pretty inspired and unique), but it's definitely the first MP Shooter that ever made me think I could love it just as much as the TF2 glory days. The personality of the game is REALLY well realized not only through character animation, but also in all the effects, sound designs, stages, and overall presentation.

Zaku

guys you are confusing quality with importance.

in the first line I said "who knows how these will turn out".

These games are important because

1) They are massively supported by their respective publishers

2) They most definitely are a stark contrast to everything else in their respective genre

I realize that there are other colorful games out there and most certainly games that have innovative gameplay. But both of these are a big push for the consoles that they are on and potentially have a ton of impact because of that. If these don't do well the message to them is basically "we want more of the same"

There is no evidence that they're being massively supported. Sunset Overdrive is getting a bundle, but quite a few games this fall and winter will be getting bundles as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo try to sweeten the pot for customers.

Yes, Splatoon is a new IP for Nintendo, which could potentially be huge... But Nintendo has plenty of IPs that they let stagnate if they don't perform well. It's interesting that Nintendo is trying new things, but unless the game has lasting appeal it's unlikely to be anything more than a footnote in the grand scheme of things.

Ditto Sunset Overdrive. While it's a colorful return to the days of yore for Insomniac, it's basically just an open-world game with some splashes of color, which seems to be a theme for this gen. More and more devs are moving away from the bleak brown and grey color palette which dominated AAA games last gen and are experimenting. Ultimately a good thing, of course, but it doesn't make Sunset Overdrive overly special.

Sunset Overdrive will perform decently, be reviewed well, and maybe we'll see more of it from Insomniac later on. Splatoon is going to live or die depending on whether the online community reaches a critical enough mass to maintain constant games.

Neither is going to set the world on fire or be a standout title for the generation.

I don't think they'll be the most important games or should even be considered as such. Splatoon looks fun but very one dimensional. Without a core single player experience not centered around arena combat, I don't see how widely appealing it'll be to many Nintendo fans.

For Microsoft, I'd say Crackdown is the most important title in their known upcoming releases, due to its heavy reliance on MS's Azure servers for visual performance (destruction mainly). Phil Spencer himself, stated that MS need to show what can be done with the tech and Crackdown is the most obvious title in their slate. If it pulls it off impressively, then MS can get some slack cut for all their pre-release "power of the cloud" talk, if not, then welp!

Aske

I hope Sunset Overdrive is great, but there were plenty of colourful shooters as the brown trend waned last gen (Gears of War 3, Bulletstorm, etc); and I just picked up Shadow Warrior on PS4, which is intensely colourful, as is much of Wolfenstein.

I don't think Splatoon is especially important in the grand scheme of videogames (it could easily be a PSN game and would likely receive less attention), but it's certainly as important as Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta on WiiU in that it's another example that Nintendo might not just Nintendo all over itself in the next few years.

Splatoon looks fun but very one dimensional.
What do you mean by that? Because it's only focused (so far) on a single mechanic? If so then I see what you mean.

wait, what? the gameplay is what makes Splatoon seem so great

I mean, it may not be for you but "boring" is not the word you're looking for

Very few people have seen the gameplay of Splatoon in this thread. The comparison to a mode in a Tony Hawk game is evidence of that.

That said I agree with people saying its too early to say it is the most important game of the generation.

OryoN

It's way too early to make such bold claims. I do agree though, that they both have a very inspired look going on, and both are attempting to breathe new life into their respective genre. Will they accomplish these goals, however? We'll have to wait and see. In the case of Sunset Overdrive, the preview I recently saw wasn't very flattering at all, citing the game - at about 2hrs in - is just as dull as Infamous, and so far the gameplay isn't really complementing the fun look and conceptual hook. One main complaint was it lacks a sense of achievement for pulling off those traversal maneuvers, while there's no sense of failure when you screw them up. I kinda gotten that vibe with the more gameplay videos I saw, but we'll see how things turn out very soon.

Splatoon, however. I can't see how this game will ever dissapoint. Perhaps it could if the content is way too light, but the actual concept, mechanics, and gameplay all seem very solid even at this early stage. It was a blast to view in action, and - based on hands-on reports - it apparently was a blast to play as well. I don't know if it will go on to become one of the most important games of this generation, but it almost certainly will make a SPLASH! ;D

You might like Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare, too. It's mechanics aren't as original (though some of the modes are pretty inspired and unique), but it's definitely the first MP Shooter that ever made me think I could love it just as much as the TF2 glory days. The personality of the game is REALLY well realized not only through character animation, but also in all the effects, sound designs, stages, and overall presentation.

Oh right, I've seen that game get a lot of praise. I'll see if I can check it out. :D

I can agree with Splatoon but...Sunset Overdrive looks like the same old shit to me. Only reason it looks different is because of the actual color in the game.

Sad how much it stands out in the sea of AAA games, just because it has actual color.

Gameplay wise, doesn't look interesting at all to me.

Synth

I'm not exactly sold on Sunset Overdrive, but for those saying that it's simply a more colorful Infamous crossed with Tony Hawk, please consider one thing. The cars function as jump pads. Why? Because they need to for gameplay purposes, and it doesn't have to make sense.

Now how many games do that? Even in stuff like Jet Set Radio, when you see a car... it's a fucking car. I appreciate just how much Sunset Overdrive is willing to accept that it's a game, and things aren't required to match the expectations we would have of their real-life counterpart. Infamous, Tony Hawk, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Jet Set Radio etc... simply wouldn't do these things.

I would say that first person and third person shooters are the most popular genre of game right now. Not that shooters are my favorite genre but I think they have the biggest piece of the pie chart.

So it stands to reason if they make an impact on the most popular genres then they could be the most important games.

MOBAs, my friend.

I even did a super rounded-off estimation (quick adding up of the Peak players) of the FPS games on the list and it still didn't hit the peak concurrent players of all-mighty Dota.

Edit: I meant to link to here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

fernoca

I'd say important in the sense that if they don't perform well, people (especially across online forums) will need to shut up, at the whole "all Nintenfo does is Mario" and "insomniac only does Ratchet".

But not because of "colors". There were tons of games full of color and creativity during the past gen and people didn't cared (well, outside Super Mario Galaxy, etc).

FloatOn

I hope Sunset Overdrive is great, but there were plenty of colourful shooters as the brown trend waned last gen (Gears of War 3, Bulletstorm, etc); and I just picked up Shadow Warrior on PS4, which is intensely colourful, as is much of Wolfenstein.

I don't think Splatoon is especially important in the grand scheme of videogames (it could easily be a PSN game and would likely receive less attention), but it's certainly as important as Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta on WiiU in that it's another example that Nintendo might not just Nintendo all over itself in the next few years.

The art direction supports the fresh gameplay. Gameplay is, and always will be king.

Both art and unique gameplay is what I'm hoping will impact the games that follow each of these.

Top Bottom