• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does "Casual Gamer" mean?

DiscoJer

I think in many cases it's used as an insult (the "you like games I don't like" is spot on), but it also refers to the sort of games that Big Fish Games carries: Hidden Object Games, Time management, Matching games (like Bejeweled).

http://www.bigfishgames.com/

Somehow it's a billion dollar industry with its own conventions (CasualConnect) and such, but it seems to be completely overlooked.

Everyone has different ideas about casual and hardcore and the definitions get blurred, and the term casual is used as an insult.

To me though, hardcore is the most devoted gamers, those who will not give up the hobby whether it becomes expensive, or difficult, or unpopular, or whatever. The truly dedicated. Doesn't matter if they like nintendo, PC, whatever, its about their level of dedication to gaming.

And casual is the inverse of that, the least invested gamers. They'll play a game...or not. They can take it or leave it. There is a lot of overlap there with people who play on iphones or whatever, but as an example I would classify someone with an xbox who rarely buys games, just buying each new version of GTA and then maybe 1 other game a year, as a casual gamer.

TL, DR: its not their preferred platform or genre that makes someone casual or hardcore, but their preference for gaming over other ways they could spend their time.

Chibot

I suppose it's a fluid definition. I would consider a "casual" someone who enjoys more shallow/smartphone-type games, those that are designed for play in short busts and that often don't require a lot of skill. The type of person that loved Wii Bowling but wouldn't even consider Dark Souls might be a casual gamer.

soy.

Banned
Someone who games casually, usually those thag play on mobile or like 1 or two popular games a year like: CoD, Just Dance, or fifa.
A core gamer would play weirder games that arent as popular or beginning friendly like Bayonetta or Dark souls.
Think of the term "casual movie goer"
got it.

- casual gamers plays CoD
- core gamers plays bayonetta (2)

pretty bold statement. i like brave people.

HeelPower

People who occasionally play games and don't really care about them.

Like someone who willingly spends months without playing games and doesn't really miss it.

So what exactly does the term "casual" mean when it comes to gaming? My friend called me a "casual" gamer after he learned I stick to genres like Shooters, Action, Adventure, Horror etc. and I'm having trouble figuring out what a "casual" means.

Halp.

your friend is a complete asshole and is drawing pointless lines in the sand in order to elevate his own sense of self-worth based upon a personal hobby.

to me, casual vs hardcore represents a relative "investment" in the hobby, and i don't mean monetarily. the real issue is having the opinion that being "casual" is somehow a problem, which it isn't.

Someone who plays games for fun and doesn't scrutinize everything. Basically not GAF.

I play games for fun and don't scrutinize everything. Does that mean that my membership here is all a lie and I'm actually a "casual" in denial and all of these past two or so years posting here are part of some sort of psychotic breakdown or something that simply exists in some world I made up inside of my head? D:

Malio

It's not hard...someone who doesn't know how to use a controller and/or hates using one to play a game, prefers touch controls or waggling a wiimote. They would rather have a short, relatively easy gaming experience (angry birds, endless run game) than a deep one, requiring time, brain work, or skill (Zelda, shooter).

"Gamers" are able to enjoy casual gaming on occasion, but very rarely can casual gamers enjoy 'real games', mostly due to the controller requirement. Casual gamers MAY venture into real gaming territory using their PC (keyboard and mouse), this happens most often on games like Civilization, The Sims, or say, Zuma...but they don't stay long and prefer to go back to simple, quick gaming experiences usually on their phones or in a browser.

There ya go.

I always consider a casual gamer as someone who plays games but doesn't follow the industry and keep up to date with news/future releases where as a hardcore gamer is aware of what's going on, what's coming out etc.

Blur

Banned
Casual gamers: The ones who play games here and there during their free time.

Hardcore: The ones who put more hours into gaming.

Competitive: The ones who buy games for MP rather than the SP.

(My opinion)

Donos

IGf9mdJ.gif

People i see in the train every day playing the same puzzle/Candysomething 0,99€ games but would never play a console. Maybe they have a Wii at home but that's it. Don't invest in many games and new hardware. Appealing to them can be good because they are a lot but then again they mostly don't follow gaming media, advertisements, resolutionwars, reviews, forums etc.

Although my father plays a dozen hours of old Anno games every week it's the only game he knows. Would rather call him casual than hardcore (somethimes he plays 6 hours a day). Overall the term is not relly definable and like me, everybody is using it different.

For some Casual = "You play games I don't consider challenging."

For others Casual = "You play mobile games like Candy Crush and Angry Birds."

redcrayon

I find it funny when gamers who prefer console games call someone who plays candy crush for 50+ hours a month a casual gamer.

Its like someone who works out hard at a physical hobby that requires a bit more input twice a week (like rowing) calling someone who runs for an hour every single day a casual.

I've see it used by people who prefer shooters to platformers, by people who prefer strategy games to shooters, by fans of games with stories vs those without and vice versa, and by people who prefer rpgs to puzzle games, which is ridiculous when stuff like Tetris is about as pure a 'game' as you can get. I'm not sure how a game needing 20 buttons to play makes it less casual, when the most longstanding examples of hardcore games used to need one button and a stick, and calling someone who spent hundreds of hours in the arcades in the 70s playing pacman and space invaders a 'casual' just seems ridiculous. At this point it's just used to say 'I am more dedicated to the hobby as my favourite niche of computer games is more incomprehensible to outsiders than yours '.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Like Hardcore gamer, it is a nebulous term and can mean whatever you want it to mean.

QaaQer

in the industry, a casual gamer is one who spends little to no time reading about games, thinking about games, looking at advertising beyond unavoidable banner/tv ads, but still plays games.

Industry prefers hardcore because they are easier to reach and manipulate.

Alx

In the OP's context, the "casual gamer" has clearly be used in an elitist context, with the intention to categorize with it gamers of lower value or merit. "People who play those games aren't real gamers, they're only casual gamers".
The logical meaning of casual gamer would be "someone who plays games casually". So who doesn't make a habit of it. So if you play Candy Crush or Minesweeper every day, you're not really a casual gamer. If you play WoW once a year when you visit your cousin at Christmas, you're a casual gamer.
I'm sure marketing people use it with their own signification too. They probably consider casual gamers as people who don't have a dedicated budget for games, while hardcore gamers are those spending a lot all the time.

in the industry, a casual gamer is one who spends little to no time reading about games, thinking about games, looking at advertising beyond unavoidable banner/tv ads, but still plays games.

Industry prefers hardcore because they are easier to reach and manipulate.

I personally hate the whole casual / hardcore distinction, but if I had to take a definition I'd go with this. The difference is simply level of interest.

Klyka

Banned
Casual gamers: The ones who play games here and there during their free time.

Hardcore: The ones who put more hours into gaming.

Competitive: The ones who buy games for MP rather than the SP.

(My opinion)

This right here for me.

Casual gamer to me means someone who is not as "into" games as a hardcore gamer. Like, they take up less space and thought in their lives than in a hardcore gamer's.

Basically: A casual gamer would say "Oh it's Friday, I think I might play half an hour of GAME maybe" while a hardcore gamer would say "It's Friday, my download for Bayonetta 2 on the Eshop should be finished soon and then I'll play it for the next few hours".

Casual gamers only play AAA releases and don't expand much beyond that.

In the same way that the masses only see the biggest summer blockbusters. You wouldn't call those people cinephiles.

ramparter

Banned
Usually we refer to people who play mainstream games like CoD, Andgry Birds, Whatever Saga etc...

But I think it should describe how much energy/time someone puts in playing.

Someone who games casually, usually those thag play on mobile or like 1 or two popular games a year like: CoD, Just Dance, or fifa.
A core gamer would play weirder games that arent as popular or beginning friendly like Bayonetta or Dark souls.
Think of the term "casual movie goer"

This is just stupid.
FIFA and CoD are sold a lot because they appeal to all types of gamers. They have some of the most competitive MP there is and the highest skill ceiling but a really low entry point.
You can play only a couple of games a month with abuddy or 9h a day for cash via Virgin Gaming.

Casual to me is someone who gets 3-5 games a year and never plays more than 10h in a week. What type of game he plays doesn't matter that much.
The casual player will know how to score in FIFA, but he won't know how to chip a ball in the left bottom corner (example).

Randam

Would call all my friends casual.

One bought the ps4 only for ac 4.
He played that and then nothing.
Till watch dogs was released.
Now he is waiting for unity.

Other bought only 2 games per year.
Cod and fifa.
And gta 4.

Other only plays fifa.
Is still on Ps3 too.

And they all have no idea what resolution those games have or with witch framerate they are running.

And you don't have to 100% every game to not be a casual.
There us more than only casual and hardcore.

ConceptX

I'd call a casual gamer someone who you know...plays games casually...

I.E a few hours a week.

Most of the Internet would disagree with me though as it's turned into an insult.

gelf

I've seen it used to refer to everything from people who just play candy crush though to people who only play sports and COD games all the way up in some rare cases to people who won't buy every console or upgrade their PC to insane levels.

Its an utterly useless term.

Trago

A lot of people I know who are casuals, know about the latest games through advertising, or through me when they ask about the latest stuff.

Klyka

Banned
I do love the evolution of "casual" in the gaming community though,it has given me and my friends so many laughs.

Like when one of us uses the word in any way, we always go
tumblr_mbyouyY83Z1qgust3o1_500.jpg

"Casual" is basically a meme at this point.

I dono, I thought it was always pretty cut and dry to me:

Casual: Facebook games, flash games, and some light mobile stuff. Couldn't tell you anything about a 'console', 'controller', or anything like that.

Regular: Everyone else who doesn't engage less than the above.

Yeah I agree with most of this. But I feel like a casual gamer is someone that plays mostly Facebook games, flash games and mobile games. You can still be a casual gamer even if you have a Wii and a couple of games for example.

jacobeid

Banned
To me it's always a matter of how into it somebody is. Now, to be honest, I don't really care about the labels at all but that's the distinction I make. Obviously time actually spent *playing* video games is the best.

Anyone who finds GAF, signs up for an account, and spends any reasonable amount of time here is definitely a "hardcore" gamer. My mom who admittedly gets to play more games than I do these days, doesn't know anything about the video game market, the publishers, devs, etc. but she plays Candy Crush like a boss.

DevilFox

What it should be: a person who lack true passion for the gaming world, that's the only difference to me. Like cinephile versus a casual one: they both watch movies but the first one will do it with a different eye and knowledge, while the latter will just play and possibly enjoy the game.
What it actually is: an insult. Some people really need to feel superior.

Most people in here are just going to give you snarky sarcastic answers. But there are casual fans of pretty much everything. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about though. It really comes down to how much you play or know about games. People can be hardcore gamers just by playing a whole shitload of Farmville.

If you're the type of person to play a game or two on your phone to waste time while you're sitting on the bus or waiting in a doctors office, you're a casual gamer. You don't care about any of the details, like who made the game, or what other games they make. You just want to waste some time on a video game for a little entertainment. Which is like the base level of why people make some games in the first place.

Casual gamer also isn't supposed to be an insult, even though it got morphed into one by idiots. I'm a casual fan of Jazz. I like a few artists, but I couldn't tell you much about the current Jazz scene, and I couldn't tell you the history of Jazz. I just pop a Jazz record on every once and a while and enjoy it. Me calling myself that isn't an insult, it's just an acknowledgement that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject of Jazz, but still enjoy it.

It's right here in the definition of casual:

not regular or permanent, in particular.

A casual gamer is someone who picks up a controller or game every once and a while, and does not regularly play or have an interest in video games.

Klyka

Banned
My other hobby next to games is playing Paintball. I play in a team,we got our own equipment and jerseys, all that stuff. Obviously we are not pros, but we are definitely hardcore/enthusiasts.

Now the people who go to paintball, rent a gun for 2 hours and just play with their friends? They are casuals.

Fadobo

When we talk about it at industry events it is usually entirely dictated by genre / gameplay complexity. Match-3 games are casual games, very light strategy / simulation kind of games (e.g. Hayday), sometimes sports games. People who play these are "casual gamers" even if they invest 5 hours daily into those titles.

I am not saying you should not define it differently, like for playtime or difficulty, but that's how we usually refer to it, to quickly understand each other.

Nzyme32

For some Casual = "You play games I don't consider challenging."

For others Casual = "You play mobile games like Candy Crush and Angry Birds."

This is probably the more common view. I would personally consider myself a casual gamer, but I base that on the amount of time I spend playing, which varies from averages of 20hr per fortnight to none.

Top Bottom