• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can choose only 1 animated film to recommend as a must-watch masterpiece. Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP's one off, if you ask me. Takahata's real masterpiece is Only Yesterday. Wit, humour, profundity, subtlety, romance, quiet tragedy, louder hope, superficially sentimental, more strokes of inspiration in individual scenes than most films manage in their whole, playful, but never indulgent, with its form, its silence and its sound, an adult female at its centre. Animation at its best.

I'm surprised to see that somebody else has watched this! Good choice; the movie itself is very interesting, and I love the more surreal bits in it. It was pretty clear Mushi Pro was having financial difficulties during production for this though, given how many scenes are just pans across paintings. Very good paintings, but still.

If I had to choose just one, it would be Angel's Egg. My personal favorite Oshii film; it's beautiful, and fascinating.

tnt28.jpg

Belladonna is such a strange movie. When I watched it I liked it, but at this point I wonder if being simply strange is enough to push it over the top for me. Not so fond of the super retro 70's ost now, either, though actually being from that time excuses it in this area.

Angel's Egg is Oshii's visual style and personal obsessions boiled down into one giant allegory of a film. Wonderful stuff.

What I really liked about Belladonna of Sadness is it presents a compelling and insurrectionally feminist image of the 'divine feminine' archetype. Hermann Hesse mentions in his novel Narcissus and Goldmund that the female archetype is associated with both the states of ecstasy and agony, either placing them on the same axis, or more remarkably accenting an almost superficial distinction between them. Witchcraft and Paganism as we often conceptualize them are oriented around veneration of the earth and a kind of natural potency or occult virtue possessed of the world below our feet, which is suppressed by the more 'masculinist' orthodoxy that brands it as Satanic or heretical, and that tries to forget, and by consequence is ruled by the flesh, and made cruel in a way unlike the cruelty of nature. Belladonna of Sadness for me swept up a lot of these themes in an effortless and holistic-feeling way where I'm honestly not sure how it was done. It's strange, but more than that I think it feels like some call from the wilderness, it's not quite in a language I understand but there's a sensibility to it that crosses the gap. I'm kind of going overboard with this though, I just remember it really striking a chord with me.

Enilced2

Four pages and I don't see it. I can't believe it!

aladdinposter.jpg

I am legit shocked

I would also throw a bone at

emperors_new_groove_ver1.jpg

But that really may be just me

TEJ

but seriously folks

The reason why I like the lion king so much is that it is packed with simbalism. It's also the most purrfectly leonine movie I have ever seen in my entire life. It's the pride of my blu ray collection. Oh I just can't wait to watch this movie again.

please don't hurt me

terrisus

but seriously folks

The reason why I like the lion king so much is that it is packed with simbalism. It's also the most purrfectly leonine movie I have ever seen in my entire life. It's the pride of my blu ray collection. Oh I just can't wait to watch this movie again.

please don't hurt me

isee.jpg

Ludovico

The Emperor's New Groove

Awesome style, unique environments and set pieces, Goodman and Spade kill it and actually have a great arc separately and together. The humor is spot on, breaks the fourth wall just enough, great music, competent and entertaining female characters, good length and never drags.

When asked what my favorite movie is, I say this without any second thoughts.

mononoke-b.jpg

Mononoke-Hime, or Princess Mononoke.

With themes like of the corrupting nature of technology, Man vs. Nature, Science/Tech vs. Spiritualism, the consequences of progress, along with great action and characters make this my hands down favorite animated movie. Would recommend without hesitation.

Dicer

Banned
Anyone saying Lion King, SMH...that basically saying it's OK to steal.

Hard choice, I can't pick one atm still thinking, but it'll come to me.

DJ_Lae

The Iron Giant...

Iron Giant.

The Iron Giant.

Iron Giant

Food fight

Iron Giant--Superman :(

Yes
Yes
Yes

Iron Giant.

Iron Giant
tumblr_lz7ipaBz5i1qgn1olo1_500.gif

Iron Giant

The Iron Giant

Either the Iron Giant orEither Ratatouille

Though I see it has been rightfully covered.

So I guess I would go with The Lion King, although that's gotten mentions too. Both fantastic films but I just feel The Iron Giant has something really special going on.

Codeblue

Guess I need to watch Millennium Actress.

Spirited Away is my answer though, for reasons already outlined by other posters. I love pretty much all of Miyazaki's work, but this one took the creativity and wonder to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom