• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So that Wayforward TMNT game is releasing this Tuesday on US PSN

Takao

Banned
It's also going to be available at retail.

This is a licensed game from Activsion and Wayforward. Be wary.

Ooccoo

It looks extremely rough and will probably end up shitty. The fact they didn't even bother releasing videos is pretty telling.

SerTapTap

It's also going to be available at retail.

This is a licensed game from Activsion and Wayforward. Be wary.

Yeah I'd wait for reviews/impressions. Activision + Licensed means crap budget and Wayforward is pretty inconsistent with licensed games; not all terrible but they hardly reach the average quality of their original games.

Ooccoo

It's sad to think TMNT: Turtles in Time will probably never be topped. And the franchise is pretty popular, it deserves good games even if the cartoons were better in the 90s than what children get nowadays.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Huh, reading that really makes it seem like they might nail it. This statement in particular resonates with me...

One thing I noticed in a lot of modern action platformers, including some of WayForward's own, is locking the player into combat encounters like a brawler would. In these cases, the player is happily moving through an area, then suddenly BAM – enemies appear, the camera locks, and they've got to fight their way out. Sometimes there are invisible barriers, other times the doors get electrified or something, but the effect is the same: you fight or you never leave.

In the right context, this can be a nice mini-boss style situation and provide some good tension. But lately it's become the combat standard for many exploration-based action platformers, so we decided to avoid it. It's a shame to give the player a suite of cool navigation abilities and then force them into combat in this room on this platform… just because the game said so.

Been a while since I read up on any TMNT game, here I thought this was that four person 3d brawler with all the radical co op moves. What a bummer. I'm definitely going to eyeing this on release. Oh, and cowabunga.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I love TMNT and Double Dragon Neon (they made that, right?) so I hope this one shocks the world...

The team that made DD Neon isn't at WF anymore, they went indie and made Shovel Knight.

The guy who directed the TMNT game is the same guy who did the last Adventure Time game (the one everyone hates) and who produced all those Silent Hill games everyone complains about. Follow the names, people!

The team that made DD Neon isn't at WF anymore, they went indie and made Shovel Knight.

The guy who directed the TMNT game is the same guy who did the last Adventure Time game (the one everyone hates) and who produced all those Silent Hill games everyone complains about. Follow the names, people!

Huh, didn't know Yacht Club was a specific team at WF. I knew they were from WF, just not "The Double Dragon Neon team".

@MUWANdo

Banned
Huh, didn't know Yacht Club was a specific team at WF. I knew they were from WF, just not "The Double Dragon Neon team".

It's not the entire team that worked on DD Neon but definitely the core; most/all of them also worked on Bloodrayne Betrayal, Boy and his Blob and Mighty Milky Way, but DD Neon was the first time they were all together on the one game.

Part of why they left WF is that they wanted to remain a team instead of being split up to work on new (and usually boring) projects whenever they finished a game.

The third Game Boy Turtles game was a Metrovania too, right?

Radical Rescue? Yeah, kinda. IIRC, most of it's staff members went on to actually work on Symphony of the Night. (It's also a pretty good game, to boot.)

Between Goonies II, Castlevania II and Radical Rescue, it's pretty interesting to see how many times Konami experimented with a Metroid-esque design formula before they nailed it with SoTN.

jett

D-Member

Didn't know Yacht Club was made up of the core DDN team. No wonder SK turned out so awesome.

I don't know about this game. I'll be surprised if it isn't crap, and it has nothing to do with WF. :p

It's not the entire team that worked on DD Neon but definitely the core; most/all of them also worked on Bloodrayne Betrayal, Boy and his Blob and Mighty Milky Way, but DD Neon was the first time they were all together on the one game.

Part of why they left WF is that they wanted to remain a team instead of being split up to work on new (and usually boring) projects whenever they finished a game.

Wow, I can see that! I guess the team members don't get to pick and choose their teams? Sad. :(

Peff

Looking at the trophies/achievements it seems like a pretty standard Blackgate-esque game

Today's Lesson - Return to the Lair and undergo training.

Operation Break In - Find a way inside the TCRI Building.

Bixby Sticktown!? - Swat Baxter Stockman.

Down in the Docks - Sneak into the Warehouse district.

Ninja Stars and Stripes - Trounce Tiger Claw

Mikey's time to shine - Teleport into Dimension X.

Plasma Pleurodelinae - Neutralize the Newtralizer

Fall of the Foot Clan - Give Shred-head something to think about.

Kick some Shell! - Take Casey's advice to upgrade a Shell Kicker.

Leader in Blue - Fully upgrade Leo's Shell Kickers.

Way with Machines - Fully upgrade Donnie's Shell Kickers.

Most Attitude - Fully upgrade Raph's Shell Kickers.

One of a Kind - Fully upgrade Mikey's Shell Kickers.

A Ninja's Best Friend - Find a Shuriken upgrade.

Stocked and Loaded - Find every Shuriken upgrade.

Ninja Omelet - Find a Smoke Bomb upgrade.

Blah Blah, Science Blah - Find every Smoke Bomb upgrade.

Chi Time - Find a Chi upgrade.

A-Chi-vement Unlocked! - Find every Chi upgrade.

Pizza by the Shred - Find a Health upgrade.

Pizza Face - Find every Health upgrade.

The Big Brawl - Perform 50 Shell Kickers successfully.

The Ultimate Ninja - Perform 100 Shell Kickers successfully.

Mouser Menace - Mangle 100 Mousers.

Footbots are Revolting - Fell 100 Footbots.

Slash and Destroy - Knock down 100 Kraang Droids.

Baxter's Gambit - Maim 300 Mousers.

Boot the Foot - Finish 300 Footbots.

Pulverizer - Quell 300 Kraang Droids.

The Manhattan Project - Achieve 100% Completion.

Turtle Speed - Finish the game in under 4:00.

Turtle Power! - Finish the game in under 2:30.

Shellraiser - Finish the game in under 1:00.

Shell Shock! - Finish the game without upgrading any Shell Kickers.

A ninja in need... - Rescue a captured turtle.

Lucky Guess - Watch a bonus conversation.

Conversationalist - Watch every bonus conversation.

Dedicated Student - Seek out wisdom from Splinter.

The Gauntlet - Beat Rahzar without taking damage.

Mint Condition - Find Mikey's lost comic book.

but then...

Turtle Speed - Finish the game in under 4:00.

Turtle Power! - Finish the game in under 2:30.

Shellraiser - Finish the game in under 1:00.

Hm. It seems like retail copies have leaked, so at least we should have more information soon, and maybe even a chance to see the game in motion before release. Crazy, right?

Camjo-Z

But Aliens: Infestation...

Was a mediocre Metroid wannabe.

I really don't get the love for that game. There's no tension since the xenos always pop up in the same exact places and you can see them on the motion tracker, and exploration is pointless since the only things to find are ammo/health packs (which get refilled at save rooms anyway) and extra lives in the form of soldiers (which are even more useless since you can't use them unless you're already down a marine).

@MUWANdo

Banned
When you think about it, Wayforward is actually one of the few developers who've never made the transition to HD. Other than some 2D games.

It's kinda interesting in a 'social experiment' kinda way.

Well, the thing to remember is that their licensed games are mostly low-budget jobs, so we'll probably never get to see if they're really capable of flexing their muscle on an HD platform because no-one's gonna give 'em the money to try.

Take this TMNT game, for example--I'm guessing the budget was a couple million dollars for all three SKUs, which is really not a lot of money for a professional, salaried studio, and going multi-plat was probably the only way that were even able to get that much money to play with.

SerTapTap

When you think about it, Wayforward is actually one of the few developers who've never made the transition to HD. Other than some 2D games.

It's kinda interesting in a 'social experiment' kinda way.

Uhhhh what do you mean? Double Dragon Neon is a fully 3D HD game, Duck Tales is HD with 3D backgrounds, and HD 2D development isn't exactly cheap either, MSF HD probably only exists because there's relatively few art assets, and Shantae HD because of the kickstarter. Primary reason their games haven't been HD is because of a recent focus on the 3DS (which I'm frankly quite glad to see them, abandon).

JordanN

Banned
Uhhhh what do you mean? Double Dragon Neon is a fully 3D HD game, Duck Tales is HD with 3D backgrounds, and HD 2D development isn't exactly cheap either, MSF HD probably only exists because there's relatively few art assets, and Shantae HD because of the kickstarter. Primary reason their games haven't been HD is because of a recent focus on the 3DS (which I'm frankly quite glad to see them, abandon).

I'd only count Double Dragon Neon. The artstyle always confuses me that it actually uses polygons.
The other games make me think they're still using last gen pipelines (although Shantae could change that).

Speak of the devil... some guy just started uploading footage of the PS3 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB2SBArv6iY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GqG5q6_rKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofjm81ji3I

I can only assume the console version is an up-port of the 3DS version.

Kinda neat how they recreated the box art of the NES/ comic book art with the title screen:

NmFwtgT.png

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%281989_video_game%29.jpg

But yeah, the game looks a little janky...

Card Boy

Banned
I don't understand how it's possible to fuck up TMNT so many times over so many years. I honestly do not understand.

DJKhaled

It's sad to think TMNT: Turtles in Time will probably never be topped. And the franchise is pretty popular, it deserves good games even if the cartoons were better in the 90s than what children get nowadays.

lol there is no way in hell the TMNT cartoon from the 80/90s is better than the one from 2003 and 2012, they are superior in every single way, the only way you could think the old one was better is nostalgia.

Card Boy

Banned
Stuff that looks bad so far

• The way doors flip open automatically when you get near them
  • the way foot soldiers just stand there
  • Whenever you get hit you blink/flash badly
  • The crappy animations
  • The pickups look crap
  • The attack animations look crap
  • Some of the wall jumping stuff looks bad
At least the music is good!

Peff

Haha, look at this. How is that happening with 3D models?

Yeah, it's no wonder they didn't want to show it. Maybe the actual game can make up for it, but the chances of that don't look too hot.

I don't understand how it's possible to fuck up TMNT so many times over so many years. I honestly do not understand.

Im still baffled how Ubisoft fucked up tmnt in time, from the music to the gameplay. All they had to do was upscale and make the gfx shinier. Instead they ruined 1 of the best soundtracks and managed to mess up the gameplay. Ubisoft really is a company full of talentless people.

@MUWANdo

Banned

They're hardly abandoning their focus on 3DS--pretty much all their self-published games are there, they will have released at least four retail games on 3DS this year alone.

What's more, they'd be idiots to abandon 3DS, seeing as it's the most viable platform for authentic 2D pixel art, something they excel at.

steveovig

I think it looks kinda cool and I'll probably buy it someday. I liked the last TMNT game and I would actually recommend it to a Turtles fan. I even bought OOTS on sale, so this game will be gotten.

Qblivion

I feel like wayforwad is the new sonic cycle. They make a couple of good games and a whole lotta stinkers and yet everyone assumes the next one will be great.

I actually don't have a problem with the actual graphics(they look fine, and might not look like the Nick show perfectly, in game form, but capture the look and art direction of the show pretty well), but the enemy AI and character movement is pretty bad.

Top Bottom