• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SMT: Devil Summoner Raidou 1 and 2

250px-SMTRaidou.jpg

Devilsummoner2.jpg

Why does no one ever talk about these? They have to be my favorite SMT games as of now. I got both a couple months back for $4 each while on sale on PSN. After finishing P2:IS, P3 and P4 I wanted to delve deeper into SMT stuff so I picked up these along with SMT IV. I shelved SMT IV for a bit and started these and was addicted immediately.

I started with Raidou 1 (obviously) the city and detective feel alot. There's not much to do within theme but man did it look pretty. If theres one thing they nailed for me it was definitely atmosphere. As for the gameplay it definitely wasn't as polished as the narrative and art/atmosphere, I still had a good time with it for what it was. I don't play many action rpgs but it was pretty slow and repetitive, not to mention your AI demon wasn't the brightest but I got over all of that solely because the story. It definitely wasn't grammy award winning or whatever but the buildup of things was amazing and it never felt like it dragged on. I enjoyed it but it was pretty short, since I beat it in about 20 hours

Raidou 2 fixed alot of my grips with the first game. Combat felt smoother, different button combinations, no random encounters, Dual summoning, harder bosses and it integrated sidequests PERFECTLY. It felt like they learn from all there mistakes but the story was pretty flat for me. I can't really put my finger on why exactly but it just didn't live up to what I saw in Raidou 1.

And now this will always be stuck in my head forever

Raidou 3 when Atlus?

cj_iwakura

They're both great games, but neither lit the charts on fire. I think they just a devout niche following, even among SMT games. Too SMT for Persona fans, too out there for SMT fans, or something.

I love them both dearly, regardless.

By the by, Raidou 1 on Devil Mode is death.

I replayed 1 in June and beat 2 in July; they're interesting and emphatically true to their goals of 1920s Japan That Didn't Go All Fascist But Oh God Demons, but that is also an emphatically niche game idea, more a potentially profitable pitch of the indie scene that was dawning and not one of the mid-sized Japanese scene that was dimming. Looking back after those play-thrus, it really felt like a gate closed on an era with 2's release.

randomkid

they're so wonderful~

It's a real miracle that they were even made, for all the reasons listed. I almost never want sequels to things I love, but I'm willing to make an exception for something as rare as this series, which doesn't even come close to anything that exists elsewhere in the industry, past or present.

I recently finished these as well. Dahn was a pretty fun character in 2. The second game may be my favourite PS2 Atlus game. It has the least annoying demon negotiation, awesome music and a really unique battle system.

Also, Raidou is a badass.

tumblr_mh09tpF4IT1r73upxo1_500.jpg

they're so wonderful~

It's a real miracle that they were even made, for all the reasons listed. I almost never want sequels to things I love, but I'm willing to make an exception for something as rare as this series, which doesn't even come close to anything that exists elsewhere in the industry, past or present.

1's wacky yet heavy story with 2's combat. Do it do it do it do it.
This is an excuse for more Kaneko.

Teknoman

They're both great games, but neither lit the charts on fire. I think they just a devout niche following, even among SMT games. Too SMT for Persona fans, too out there for SMT fans, or something.

I love them both dearly, regardless.

By the by, Raidou 1 on Devil Mode is death.

How can anything be too out there for SMT fans?

White Man

I want another Raidou game, even if it isn't the same style as the first two. He's a great character. Unfortunately, I think Atlus isn't interested in any games that aren't Persona-related as far as SMT goes.

I want another Raidou game, even if it isn't the same style as the first two. He's a great character. Unfortunately, I think Atlus isn't interested in any games that aren't Persona-related as far as SMT goes.

I'm hoping after Persona 5 comes out. They might focus on their other IPs.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Possibly the best jrpg out there from an aesthetics perspective. The proto-modern Japan meets jazz meets smt style just werks.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
As fantastic and unique games as they are, really do think the "time setting" of the story is what people are not as interested in.

They do have a pretty niche hardcore following and here in Japan one of the versions of the game goes for a premium price. But that might have more to do with it being packed together with SMT3 lol

Tizoc

Fun fact, Raidou is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita in the Japanese release of SMT Soul Hackers on the 3DS.
If you don't know who that is, he's the voice actor for Joseph Joestar, Gintoki from Gintama and Ragna the Bloodege.

Korigama

I'm hoping after Persona 5 comes out. They might focus on their other IPs.
I'd expect milking P5 the same way they did P3 and P4 to be more likely. It's amazing that we even got SMT IV at all, let alone an enhanced port of Soul Hackers.

On-topic, I'm fairly positive that random encounters are still in Raidou 2.

How can a story be Grammy award winning, OP?
I was just mumbling when I wrote this I have no idea what I was talking about
I'd expect milking P5 the same way they did P3 and P4 to be more likely. It's amazing that we even got SMT IV at all, let alone an enhanced port of Soul Hackers.

On-topic, I'm fairly positive that random encounters are still in Raidou 2.
In the real world there was but in the dark realm there was

no time to talk about great games when you can keep milking P3/4. especially 4, ugh. these games have the best setting ever. Raidou 2 is quite marvelous for gameplay+music as well. beats any recent Persona and SMTIV.

Top Bottom