• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering trading PS4 towards XboxOne just because of noise... I have a problem :(

joecanada

My PS4 gets very loud, presumably because of my TV stand. Even louder than my OG 360, but I still cannot hear it through my head phones while the game is outputting sound.

What is this shit? Plenty of people have complained about loud PS4s. Being so ignorant and calling people liars is extremely obnoxious. Don't worry, your PS4 will be okay even if some people have noise issues with theirs.

There is no way a functioning ps4 is louder than an old 360. I had a 360 and it was basically as loud as any electronic equipment I've ever heard. Ps4 is not even close

yamo

Mine got extremely loud playing some games. Sent it in for repairs after being convinced by people on GAF it was defective. It's been gone for a month now, hopefully it will be better once I get it back.

BONDO

Once in a blue i might get the loud fan during boot up or installing a new game....very rare for me. While not as quiet as my X1....its def not a big deal or even on my radar
Knock on wood.

You're way sensitive OP, how have you lasted until now? Both 360 and ps3 were at least as loud as ps4 if not more I think. And man, my PC would probably drive you bonkers, its twice as loud as my PS4 is. Doesn't bug me though, just some soft white noise.

cheezcake

Mine got loud while playing TLOU:R, but even that wasn't really loud loud as it was comparatively loud. Maybe OP has it in a poorly ventilated spot, gotta keep nice airflow around these consoles.

You're way sensitive OP, how have you lasted until now? Both 360 and ps3 were at least as loud as ps4 if not more I think. And man, my PC would probably drive you bonkers, its twice as loud as my PS4 is. Doesn't bug me though, just some soft white noise.

Yeh no joke, my PC is alright but my friend has a R9 290, it sounds like a god damn leaf blower under load.

I did something wacky to see if it had any effect on the noise level of my PS4. I took out the hard drive (its just one screw) and re-seated it. I swear since then its stayed a little quieter.

Placebo effect?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The original 360 sounded like a jet engine. My brother came into my room from the hallway once to see what the noise was. The PS4 is infinitely quieter than the early 360s.

Well that's not nice
The original poster is saying that the system is making this noise (which can be heard through noise cancelling headphones, from ten feet away), but s/he is also saying that the system is not defective. I have a PS4 and Pulse Elites. I play less than ten feet away from the system. There is no audible noise unless the game is loading from a disc for the first time. My PS4 is not special.

Either the poster is lying about the problem (which I doubt), or the system is defective. There really doesn't seem to be much room for an in-between here.

squidyj

I can rarely hear my PS4 running and it's quite close, this issue you are having is rare enough to make either you or your PS4 suspect, OP.

Pimpbaa

It can be loud but if you are still hearing it with those headphones, it might be defective, or you live in a hot climate, or your ps4 is in a poorly ventilated area, or you have really good hearing. I have sensitive hearing and my computer drives me nuts even though it has mostly large low rpm fans (maybe I should try and find out what fan is making the most noise). But my ps4 doesn't bother me too much and I certainly don't hear it using my sony stereo headset (the first ones they put out for the ps3).

So... you're telling me that you game with the volume turned down to zero, just so that you can hear the system running?

I mean c'mon, the console isn't that loud. I'm playing Driveclub right now (yeah... I know), and the thing is just purring. I seriously don't get these noise complaints; first world problem indeed.

Be greatful your PS4 isn't that loud. Obviously the majority of people don't have this issue.

And the hell is your last sentence? That's an extreme redundant thing to say on a video game forum.

jaosobno

I had my PS4 replaced 2 days after buying it because of what I percieved as too much noise during certain games. New one sounded identical. Talked to a few people and most say it's very noticable during certain games. Some people claim that their consoles are inaudiable and that's something I'm not buying (I even heard the console of one guy claiming absolute silence and it sounded like mine).

I know one guy that took apart his PS4 and replaced thermal paste. He told me that it was poorly applied and was present in very small amounts. This reduced noise by 50% but he did void his warranty.

So either you are too sensitive to noise (like me, always listening shit) or you can try and send it in for repair (tell them about potential thermal paste problem).

Mine was ridiculously loud playing Second Son, and that was the first game I played on it so it wasn't dusty or anything. No other game has been that loud though.

I can't hear mine as soon as I have my TV speakers set to average volume. And the Gold Headset are closed cans, aren't they?

Try giving it more space maybe? Heat could be a problem in your case - or it is defective.

FeiRR

Banned
I know one guy that took apart his PS4 and replaced thermal paste. He told me that it was poorly applied and was present in very small amounts. This reduced noise by 50% but he did void his warranty.
Exactly this. People assume that every PS4 has the same noise level which is very wrong. Despite being the same hardware, the amount of thermal paste you happen to get and the way it's applied has crucial influence on the noise level of hardware.

I also have a loud PS4, which is very unfortunate as I'm sensitive to background noise and I always spend extra cash to have silent PC. I was very annoyed with X360 (Falcon) because of its cheap fans which made a high, whinning noise. Now my PS4 gets on my nerves so I tend to use headphones more and more. The worst thing is I know exactly how to fix that and it'd take little time and money to get the thermal paste reapplied (I'd surely use a better one too). But it voids warranty so I'm not going to do that until it runs out. And then I'll probably get a new PS4 if they release any better revision.

I'm generally satisfied with PS4 but between this and they joypad which I had to replace, the build quality is not what I'm expecting from Sony hardware.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Go with your heart OP. If you want an Xbox One, trade the PS4 for it. No need for a thread.

Needless to say I don't have this issue but it's kind of redundant since you'll get MANY replies in the same vein.

Gaf can't fix your issue. You already know you can call SONY and inquire about this before opening this thread (twice) so....

Better off getting the Xbox One and be a done deal.

RulkezX

I dunno, I can't hear my jet engine sounding Pc from 1.5ft away when I'm wearing my headset, I can't imagine how loud my PS4 would need to be too hear it at 10ft over my headset. Definitely sounds defective, mine only really gets loud when the disc is spinning.

RobRSG

Man, that's strange... I was playing The Evil Within yesterday for hour and barely could listen the fan.

Aren't you overeacting or your system is defective?

If you bought a Xbox 360 between 2005 and 2007, you laugh about such threads. ;-)

Exactly. People that say the 360 or Phat PS3 were comparible are blinded by nostalgia. They were much worse (especially the 360).

OP if you can hear it through your headphones you're clearly some sort of superhero. Use your power for good!

anyway, I await for whatever is coming my way from GAF :/

Hmm. Well, as someone who had both, the PS4 was definitely noisier than the X1 (obviously debatable how loud it is/annoying) but you would definitely alleviate the problem with the X1. That said, your really just trading one thing for another. I'd say the X1 is just generally slower at tasks and pops up some annoying load times between apps, getting into games etc, which is as noticeable in it's own way (again, I'm sure that will be debated how much/how annoying). My general feel on your problem is thats consoles, they have compromises. You can definitely pick the compromise that annoys you least, or you can just think of the games you want and go with the one that gets you most, which is what I would recommend. You probably won't be 100% happy with either if things like the noise bugs you (not a judgement, just my assessment).

Theman2k

What? My PS4 is dead quite all the time.
Maybe it's a defective unit. It really is dead quite.

Isn't it the case to everyone with none defective unit?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is insanity. I can't hear my ps4 at all from less than 10 feet away. With gold headphones on there is no possible way to know it is even in aside from the light.

If the AC is off, and all other devices, and the volume is on mute, then sure, it's audible, but by no means a distraction.

Both my PS4 and my XBO are pretty damned quiet.

vrln

Neo Member
If it annoys you enough why not trade it in. There´s nothing wrong with being sensitive to fan noise - there´s an entire PC scene around building silent gaming PC´s for example.

I had a PS4 for half a year and the noise was one (not the most important, but still) of the reasons why I sold it. The noise is simply the price for the console being so small. The Xbox One in comparison is a lot quieter. And it´s not just the loudness level, it´s the type of noise the fans make. The PS4 fan is small and small fans tend to have this high pitch - there´s a reason why high end PC setups use huge fans everywhere. I´m glad MS went with the "huge box" approach. It does not look that good, but it clearly has its merits.

Disclaimer: It could be that there is a lot of variation between PS4 console noise output. Posts here certainly suggest that, so it could just be that mine was a noisier than usual. I´m sceptical though as you just can´t expect to keep a 100+ Watt system silent with a small fan. In my experience the PS4 noise is a bad step down from the original huge PS3 that was much better in this regard.

haikira

Aren't there reports that coil whine is a common problem currently, with the Kinect-less bundles?

If you're trading it in, I recommend going for a Wii-U and Bayonetta 2 bundle. It's the only way to be sure.

coastel

I can rarely hear my PS4 running and it's quite close, this issue you are having is rare enough to make either you or your PS4 suspect, OP.

Same and my ps3 is next to it and sounds 10 times louder its the slim one, my ps4 I can hardly hear much as my tv is loud or I have my headset on must be something wrong with the OPs or he has super man type hearing.

vrln

Neo Member
Aren't there reports that coil whine is a common problem currently, with the Kinect-less bundles?

If you're trading it in, I recommend going for a Wii-U and Bayonetta 2 bundle. It's the only way to be sure.

From what I´ve read recent firmware updates should fix that and if not MS will apparently replace the console. The Wii U is indeed pretty quiet though. I miss mine - never should have sold it with all the good releases recently. The drought after launch was unreal, but now it has one of the finest lineups out there :)

haikira

From what I´ve read recent firmware updates should fix that and if not MS will apparently replace the console. The Wii U is indeed pretty quiet though. I miss mine - never should have sold it with all the good releases recently. The drought after launch was unreal, but now it has one of the finest lineups out there :)

Ah that's good to hear about the updates, as if all goes well, I'm hoping to pick up an Xbox One later this year. Thought I could wait until Quantum Break, but Sunset Overdrive and MCC are starting to really tempt me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, you shouldn't hear it through headphones. That's original Xbox 360 level loud (heh).

Definitely sounds like there's something wrong with it.

This. My launch PS4 is pretty loud when eg playing TLoU and then going to the dash with the game running in the background. But even then my golds would drown it out. My white destiny PS4 is much quieter.

Does anyone else find the PS4 will get really loud ... when you pause and go back to the main menu?

I'll be playing Shadow of Mordor, hit the PS button and go to the PS menu. Then a few seconds later the fans kick off and start whining like crazy. Go back into the game and it quietens down soon after.

Mine does get a bit loud after a fair few hours of gaming on, say, the last of us but it's pretty quiet for non taxing games. And if I put headphones on then I can hear any fan noise, no matter what the game. It deffo sounds like a defect unit if you can hear it through your headphones. Either that or you are not ventilating it properly.

R3TRODYCE

Yeah, Sony screwed up with the noise it produces. I plan on trading both of my ps4s in when they announce the slim unless it still runs loud of course.

Marvel

could never
Mine gets loud if A. I have it vertical without the stand or B. Bring up dash/webbroswer mid game and will only quieten down when I come back to the game with a double tap of the ps button.

Other than that mine is whisper quiet.

driver116

There's likely not enough room around the PS4 making hot air flow back in or it could be a defective unit. I've also found standing the PS4 vertically causes the fans to come on quicker than laid horizontally.

I had a problem with PS3 overheating, even after vacuuming all the dust out, it would occasionally get loud. This was due to the back of the unit being too close to the wall. I turned it so the back of the unit points in towards the room and it never kicked into high speed after that.

Top Bottom