• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Share Play thread | Share playable PS4 game streams to your friends

nampad

Cool feature although quite limited for me right now, my friends don't have the console.
I like the coop mode and could see using it, just like the game sharing on portables.

hoos30

"Share Play" is the best possible name for this service...you are literally sharing your game session with a friend.

whitehawk

Banned
Holy crap, this could be a real gamechanger, if it really works as advertised
at least in countries which don't have fourth-world upload speeds like mine. :(

Any word on connection speed requirements for guests?
they recommend 5mbps for vita remote part, probably the same. I have 2mbps and it's usable, but sometimes the compression is too much and I stop playing.

I cannot wait to try this out with some willing gaffers. I have no friends in real life with a PS4 that can be online at same times.

DieH@rd

Banned
Cool feature although quite limited for me right now, my friends don't have the console.
I like the coop mode and could see using it, just like the game sharing on portables.

Same as Remote Play and PSNow, I can see this service starting to come to other target devices [VitaTV, Xperia android devices, Bravia TVs...].

Q: PS>Vita Remote Play via Internet was plagued by technical problems caused by home router settings. Will Share Play have same issues?
A:
No, if both users have access to PSN servers, user pairing will be done automatically. Game stream will be sent as P2P stream.
Wrong.

p2p means that it will still require port forwarding, so NAT Type 3 players will not be able to become hosts.

Now, where's my IPv6 Sony?

Philippo

Do you think Sony will add 4-player co-op along the road?
I'd love to play Diablo 3 with my buds (without spending money).

DieH@rd

Banned
Do you think Sony will add 4-player co-op along the road?
I'd love to play Diablo 3 with my buds (without spending money).

That would either demand that host is sending multiple streams, which will strain its bandwith, or to original bandwith to hit remote server that will multiply the stream into more shards. Both solutions are bad.

Sony mentioned that local WiFi Remote Play will support up to 4 streams for coop on 4 Vitas. But that is in home environment where such bandwidth can be easily managed [~20mbits]...

My friend and I have already decided that we're doing a Bloodborne SL1 run over SharePlay (controller trading on death) if it works well enough, after we've both completed our solo first runs.

pager99

If anybody wanna try out COD AW next week for an hour reply to this post

Oh snap I'd love to try that with you, likewise you or any gafter who wants to try out any of my games let me know the game and if I have it you can try it

jwk94

Yeah are we arranging games to play?

Willing to host:
- Knack for some coop

Looking to play:
- Shadows of Mordor

RedAssedApe

Banned
So what did they say?

translation from banned site. :)

4Gamer: Although I’ve had the chance to try three titles (Destiny, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition and Knack), my honest impression is that there was a slight lag. The data has to be sent by the host over the internet, and the picture has to be received by the guest, so it probably can’t be helped.

Even if there was some lag, it wasn’t enough to affect the gameplay of these three titles. It should be possible to enjoy with almost no issue any game besides high action titles like fighting games.

I was also worried about the image quality before I played, but this is better than expected, and it was good enough not to see a clear difference while comparing host and guest screen in the same room.

Famitsu: Essentially, the game feels surpsisingly…normal. To say “normal” might be misleading, but it really feels very natural when youplay. The mechanics of Share Play are based on the host sending the video of the game to the PS4 of the guest over the internet, while the guest sends back the controller input to the PS4 of the guest.

If you think about it, I honestly expected to have to endure a certain amount of delay while playing. However in practice the lag is very small, and a delay of multiple frames can be felt rarely, I guess.

Even a FPS like Destiny can be played without problems. Of course this depends on the internet environment of both the host and the guest, but if you are well equipped you should be able to play comfortably.

Dengeki Online: At the media experience meeting the gameplay environment was actually working through the internet, but we could play without feeling lag or degradation of the image quality even in graphically intensive games like Destiny.

While we felt no lag at Sony, of course it depends on your internet environment and on your connection to the PSN, so there’s potential for lag.

Game Watch: I actually tried it, with the host and the guest connected over the network. Although there’s a slight lag playing on the guest side, almost no input delay can be felt. This will depend on the environment and onthe state of the network, and it’s easily understandable since it’s basically like PS4/PS Vita remote play between different users.

Aces&Eights

Yeah I'm really excited for this. I'm getting ACU, Far Cry 4 and LBP this month and am always up late on weekends (West Coast USA) and would always be up for letting a fellow Gaffer in to check it out and stuff.

Tripolygon

Banned
CwwiCn9.jpg

aJl1FpN.jpg

fZlSJNu.jpg

Figured I might as well get a list started.

Games I own Willing to stream Co-op with
- Towerfall
- Lego Marvel
- Minecraft
- Sportsfriends
- Injustice
- PixelJunk Shooter
- Dead Nation

Games I want to Play
- Shadow of Mordor
- Driveclub
- Legend of Korra
- Nidhogg Versus >:)
- Samurai Warriors 4

:D

Whether this is usable is all about upload speed (for the host).

What upload speed is taken, for 720p 30fps if you had unlimited?

What upload speed is minimal without embarrassing yourself if you offer it to a friend?

In australia upload speeds are generally pathetic. So I'm thinking this won't really work well here :(

edit: if it is based around benchmarks published for twitch, 720p 30fps means

500kbit - unacceptable
1500kbit - some pixellation, acceptable
2000kbit - now we're flying.

Unfortunately most people in Australia get below 1mbit. If you pay extra, on some ISPs and some products, within good distances, you can get upgraded to 2 mbit

On NBN it is much better but nobody has NBN yet, really.

Conclusion: won't be much share playing going on if the host is in Australia :(

DieH@rd

Banned
translation from banned site. :)

4Gamer: Although I’ve had the chance to try three titles (Destiny, Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition and Knack), my honest impression is that there was a slight lag. The data has to be sent by the host over the internet, and the picture has to be received by the guest, so it probably can’t be helped.

Even if there was some lag, it wasn’t enough to affect the gameplay of these three titles. It should be possible to enjoy with almost no issue any game besides high action titles like fighting games.

I was also worried about the image quality before I played, but this is better than expected, and it was good enough not to see a clear difference while comparing host and guest screen in the same room.

Famitsu: Essentially, the game feels surpsisingly…normal. To say “normal” might be misleading, but it really feels very natural when youplay. The mechanics of Share Play are based on the host sending the video of the game to the PS4 of the guest over the internet, while the guest sends back the controller input to the PS4 of the guest.

If you think about it, I honestly expected to have to endure a certain amount of delay while playing. However in practice the lag is very small, and a delay of multiple frames can be felt rarely, I guess.

Even a FPS like Destiny can be played without problems. Of course this depends on the internet environment of both the host and the guest, but if you are well equipped you should be able to play comfortably.

Dengeki Online: At the media experience meeting the gameplay environment was actually working through the internet, but we could play without feeling lag or degradation of the image quality even in graphically intensive games like Destiny.

While we felt no lag at Sony, of course it depends on your internet environment and on your connection to the PSN, so there’s potential for lag.

Game Watch: I actually tried it, with the host and the guest connected over the network. Although there’s a slight lag playing on the guest side, almost no input delay can be felt. This will depend on the environment and onthe state of the network, and it’s easily understandable since it’s basically like PS4/PS Vita remote play between different users.

All sounds good. :) It's the same solid tech as Remote Play.

DieH@rd

Banned
2.0 firmware is out on all territories!

I eagerly await Share Play impressions from gaffers who are not limited on sub 1 mbit upload speed like me. :D T_T

wapplew

So I don't have enough upload speed to share, but I would like to try some mordor.
Anyone kind to share?

sun-drop

holy fucking shit this works ...

i just shared second son to a psn mate in brisbane , aus, from wellington , new zealand ..... and totally playable.

i'm on fiber and my ps4 is cabled, but he was on lowley VDSL and had his ps4 connected via wifi at his house.

AMAZED

sun-drop

and i think i just sold him on infamous (he hadn't played infamous since the first one) ...... sony you evil geniuses

NZerker12

Figured I might as well get a list started.

Games I own Willing to stream Co-op with
- Towerfall
- Lego Marvel
- Minecraft
- Sportsfriends
- Injustice
- PixelJunk Shooter
- Dead Nation

Games I want to Play
- Shadow of Mordor
- Driveclub
- Legend of Korra
- Nidhogg Versus >:)
- Samurai Warriors 4

:D

I can help you with this one.

CozMick

Banned
Oh man it works soooooooooo good.

Just had a coop match on fifa 15 and played split screen on PvZ garden warfare.

It just works :O

Im amazed.

jwk94

Updating my PS4, anyone want to shareplay here ina minute? Would like to grab some footage before I leave.

Sweep14

I'll offer a one hour Driveclub session tomorrow, october the 29th, at 18h30 (GMT+1) send me a pm if interested.

Percy

Banned
Well, if nothing else this'll finally give me a chance to try out Yakuza Ishin.

Handy that the session is long enough to let you play Ground Zeroes in it's entirety as well. Should save a lot of people a bit of cash on that one.

I'd be very appreciative if someone would Share Play Alien: Isolation and Driveclub with me.

PSN: Bad_Man_Chucky

I think I was meant to find this post. I have Alien Isolation, and I was 1 and a half in and then all of my saves got deleted......this weekend would you like to try out Isolation???

Top Bottom