• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm Open Beta Thread of Sneakiness and Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

If they did them all it once...

0008_n9sdw.gif

kirblar

2 in 1 didn't really go well the first time they tried it. They're worried about their "on deck" content rate already, I can't imagine they'd try to 3 in 1 it.

Maledict

"On deck"?

I dunno. I still think one of the biggest challenges for this game will be the speed they push content out - the game would be a lot healthier with a wider selection of heroes right now I feel.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, I've been having so much fun playing HotS lately that I've completely neglected my Hearthstone dailys for over a week now. I'm even considering skipping the Blackrock expansion for Hearthstone. I think with Hearthstone the fact that I'm so far behind the majority of the playerbase with cards really dampens my fun with the game. I only have like 40% of all the cards and it's so hard to catch up without spending lots of real world money that I feel like I'll never be able to "catch up". And arena can just be so damn frustrating when you lose to random luck so often when opponents draw stupid crazy decks.

But with HotS I can jump in and play and actually be competitive and have fun, all it really takes is time and practice. Part of me would rather take the $25 for the Hearthstone Blackrock expansion and instead buy skins and heroes for HotS.

Damn Blizzard and their good games....

Maledict

~And meh.

Solo plying this game does suck sometimes. Either I quick match and constantly get teams with 0 healers, versus teams with healers. Or I play ranked and my team first picks nova, and then Gazlowe, for haunted mines.

on the plus side, roped a friend into playing illidan just to break the losing streak and we somehow won a game with Abathur, Illidan, Zeratul, Tychus, Tassadar versus lili, rehghar, ETc, valla, sylvanus. Talk about games you should not win!

Interfectum

"On deck"?

I dunno. I still think one of the biggest challenges for this game will be the speed they push content out - the game would be a lot healthier with a wider selection of heroes right now I feel.

Yeah the game needs more heroes for sure. Even the hero rotation is getting stale as it's always the same shit. For a game that's in beta it's been surprisingly static this year. Maybe a lot of the team is finishing up SC2?

Phased

Yeah but there's a few things to consider.

Blizzard has never put out content at a fast pace. The payoff to that is most of the stuff they put out shows their typical polish. Second, pretty much every patch has had a major addition to the game since it's still in Beta, which if I had to guess is what holds the patches up more than actually adding heroes to the game. Either it's a new map, reworked UI stuff or whatever else, there's rarely just a "Hero Patch"

I think once they have a decent amount of content in the game we may see Hero patches come at a quicker rate, but again it'll never be more than once a month if I had to guess just because Blizzard and fast content isn't something that will ever go together I think.

No idea what to do, I only started recently, my only Hero I own is Valla. I tried Brightwing and I like that character but its 10000 gold. I am almost at 7k but I am thinking I should just get more cheaper characters first.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No idea what to do, I only started recently, my only Hero I own is Valla. I tried Brightwing and I like that character but its 10000 gold. I am almost at 7k but I am thinking I should just get more cheaper characters first.

Usually people are going to suggest getting cheaper gold heroes for gold. It depends on whether you'll ever put actual money into this game. If you're open to doing that and can wait for sales, $5 for a hero is much more efficient than dropping 10000 gold. If you plan on never spending any real money on the game (and don't care about getting into hero league where you need 10 unlocked), then you should just go for whoever you like the most. You should still give it a while on free weeks before dropping that much though, in case somebody you like better comes along.

Ketch

Just keep playing the free rotation heroes and lvl them to 5. Then decide on one from each franchise and role so you can do all the dailies with heroes you like.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

When I started playing two months ago I only had Valla too. What I did was simply save all of my gold and spent my game time leveling up the free rotation heroes to level 5 for the free 500g each. making sure to complete my dailies every day. This way I both collected gold and got experience playing all (most) of the heroes for free to see who I really wanted to buy. I didn't spend any gold at all until last week when I went on a spending spree with half of my amassed 52,000 gold.

Usually people are going to suggest getting cheaper gold heroes for gold. It depends on whether you'll ever put actual money into this game. If you're open to doing that and can wait for sales, $5 for a hero is much more efficient than dropping 10000 gold. If you plan on never spending any real money on the game (and don't care about getting into hero league where you need 10 unlocked), then you should just go for whoever you like the most. You should still give it a while on free weeks before dropping that much though, in case somebody you like better comes along.

Yeah I don't know if I want to spend any cash yet so I am trying to wait that out. Thinking of buying cheaper heroes though for sure.

When I started playing two months ago I only had Valla too. What I did was simply save all of my gold and spent my game time leveling up the free rotation heroes to level 5 for the free 500g each. making sure to complete my dailies every day. This way I both collected gold and got experience playing all (most) of the heroes for free to see who I really wanted to buy. I didn't spend any gold at all until last week when I went on a spending spree with half of my amassed 52,000 gold.

Oh I didn't know that was a thing. I might just do that.

Dr. Buni

I am on the same boat. I only have Valla bought and the free heroes aren't that interesting. I am not even sure what hero to buy once I have enough gold.

I do enjoy Valla a lot, though, so there is that.

sestrugen

I have been rocking Uther, even after the nerf it feels very good to be able to sustain some damage, get into melee territory and dish out the heals. I have been trying a battle healer type of approach, maybe I should just drop the AOE stun for the shields to be more healbot-ish.

Valla feels good for me but maybe I am doing the wrong build because I end up topping siege damage but coming second place (usually) on Hero damage, maybe I need to try and burst a bit more and stop lanning.

To be honest I have not been trying any cookie cutter builds so far, only trying what feels right at that time.

I want to try Sylvanas, still deciding if I should buy her and will definitely try Tyrande this week since she is range and has some decent support.

brian!

I have been rocking Uther, even after the nerf it feels very good to be able to sustain some damage, get into melee territory and dish out the heals. I have been trying a battle healer type of approach, maybe I should just drop the AOE stun for the shields to be more healbot-ish.

Valla feels good for me but maybe I am doing the wrong build because I end up topping siege damage but coming second place (usually) on Hero damage, maybe I need to try and burst a bit more and stop lanning.

To be honest I have not been trying any cookie cutter builds so far, only trying what feels right at that time.

I want to try Sylvanas, still deciding if I should buy her and will definitely try Tyrande this week since she is range and has some decent support.

Uther is really strong right now, benediction is huge (he has options tho) and his lvl 20 revive thing is big with the rework to his trait

His ult is nerfed tho

Wouldnt consider his changes a nerf but no sprint/ult is sad because it's so funny to watch

Ketch

and it's just really hard to get used to NOT having sprint -> storm because it was really powerful. It feels like a nerf, but I think it was more of a sideways buff/rework

Longest match I've ever had.

LOL - A funny Easter egg I just noticed, if you go into the Shop and click on a hero, when the 3D model of the hero pops up, click and drag it to rotate the hero. Rotate it rapidly back and forth for about 5 seconds and the hero gets "stunned."

Alur

EU ESL Major League Playoffs Day 2 streaming. Khaldor and Kaelaris casting. Twitch link.

SK Gaming v. FNATIC right now.

Dmosher/davemo has been having a lot of success with that style of Uther. He's also been using shield some. It's saved our bacon more than a few times. That ult has Illidan written all over it, IMO. I still am not sure 3 seconds is the right number, though.

Valla does great siege regardless of how you spec her due to the quick autos and multi-shot. You should typically be topping hero damage or close, though certainly Jaina can blow your doors off now without Battle Momentum giving you those quicker heroics.

If you buy Sylvanas now, buy with money and not gold. If you want to get her with gold wait another week or two til she drops to 10,000 instead of 15,000. And Tyrande is major fun outside of the part where she sometimes locks you out of true support in solo queue.

and it's just really hard to get used to NOT having sprint -> storm because it was really powerful. It feels like a nerf, but I think it was more of a sideways buff/rework

Yep. Does feel like it was just a recalibration from stun bot to actual useful support.

That newly buffed Murky did some work. Clearly wasn't interested in utilizing his Living the Dream talent, though.

I am on the same boat. I only have Valla bought and the free heroes aren't that interesting. I am not even sure what hero to buy once I have enough gold.

I do enjoy Valla a lot, though, so there is that.

I find Valla loads of fun but I do like other heroes, just that I don't know if it's worth the gold investment at times.

LOL - A funny Easter egg I just noticed, if you go into the Shop and click on a hero, when the 3D model of the hero pops up, click and drag it to rotate the hero. Rotate it rapidly back and forth for about 5 seconds and the hero gets "stunned."

Man that's a long game.

Boogdud

Man Diablo had become my go to Warrior. So goddamn tanky and his q and e burst with utility. And dat Lightning Breath
50788.1410666568.png

So, tassadar's storm looks different when you use the mecha skin (it fires little missile/laser looking things instead of the lightning). What I'm wondering is... does the Kaijo Diablo skin actually do a godzilla breath with lightning breath? If so... so boughten.

Kenaras

Holy shit, Murky has a positive win % - https://www.hotslogs.com (h/t Reddit)

Stitches has fallen through the floor. I suspect most of the tanks are going to end up there simply because of how the game is currently designed, where multiple tanks = QM disaster due to lack of damage.

edit: Holy F@#$#@%ing shit he has the 3rd highest win % in Master League QM- https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroAndMapStatistics

The stats just updated with the first set of stats that're entirely post-patch. Because he was free last week, the huge number of games from that week were drowning out the post-patch stats. Murky is now #3 overall (+18.2% win rate) and #1 in Master League (+29.4% win rate).

I've been watching his stats closely, so I saw this coming. The "Hero Details" section was completely post-patch numbers due to talent changes, and if you looked at Murky there you could clearly see he was close to 60% win rate.

Alur

So, tassadar's storm looks different when you use the mecha skin (it fires little missile/laser looking things instead of the lightning). What I'm wondering is... does the Kaijo Diablo skin actually do a godzilla breath with lightning breath? If so... so boughten.

It doesn't yet that I know of, but they are slowly going back and customizing a lot of these skins so that may happen in the future.

I'll say, Murky is legit now. Doesn't feel overpowered in the games I've played alongside or against him, but I actually feel OK having him on my team now.

brian!

so what are we thinking for good diablo builds? all into overpower?

Tank build his damage is forever booty, you can get dbl flamez if you want, and the charge slow if you dont need the defensive ones in that slot

Free week diablo/tyrande gonna be hype

Oh did i say his dmg is booty, nm, lightning breath does infinite dmg

Kenaras

so what are we thinking for good diablo builds? all into overpower?

Diablo has a lot of situational talent choices, but here's a solid build to start from:

1: Soul Feast
4: Amplified Healing
7: Endless Death
10: Lightning Breath
13: From the Shadows
16: Firestorm
20: Hellstorm

Levels 1 and 4 are essentially set in stone. You might consider skipping Amplified Healing if you have no Support, but the other options on that tier aren't very appealing anyway. At level 7 you can consider Battle Momentum instead of Endless Death, particularly if the enemy team is trying to ignore you in team fights. At level 10, Apocalypse will sometimes be the right call. If you get that ultimate, you'll want Bolt of the Storm at level 20 instead of Hellstorm. Level 13 is almost entirely situational: Relentless against strong crowd control, Spell Shield against strong nukes, From the Shadows or Crippling Shadows if neither of those is needed. At 16 it's important to get Imposing Presence against strong auto-attackers, but if you can get away with skipping it, Firestorm is a substantial damage boost.

Sylvanas still 15k? Thought they dropped to 10 a week after?

Two weeks after; she'll be 10k next week.

Dreavus

I think I've been playing Muradin wrong. I always run into mana issues, yet for some reason automatically chose perfect storm at level 1 for the potential damage. The problem is it makes me want to try and land a stun whenever I can, even just to harass, which drains my mana. I think taking the mana refund instead is going to help a lot next time I play him.

Also, Haymaker is so much fun, but when I think about the number of successful punches on a support that won us a team fight I could probably count them on one hand. Maybe Avatar is the way to go instead?

I'm convinced I will never break 2200 mmr ever. My hotlogs curve is hilarious, I had all these peaks and valleys for months, then ever since the end of December I've been in this consistent rut between 2000 and 2100. Could have something to do with the amount of people uploading data, more points resulting in a smoother and more accurate average.

Two weeks.

edit: beaten like Murlocs Inc.

double edit: Speaking of Murlocs, Scary Horrifying Easter Murky is out: http://t.co/CQkb0TDkFc

Possibly the worst skin in the game

It looks the reanimated corpse of something from Meet the Feebles

Then again I'm someone who is going to buy the spider mount day 1, I probably shouldn't throw stones

brian!

I think I've been playing Muradin wrong. I always run into mana issues, yet for some reason automatically chose perfect storm at level 1 for the potential damage. The problem is it makes me want to try and land a stun whenever I can, even just to harass, which drains my mana. I think taking the mana refund instead is going to help a lot next time I play him.

Also, Haymaker is so much fun, but when I think about the number of successful punches on a support that won us a team fight I could probably count them on one hand. Maybe Avatar is the way to go instead?

Avatar just fits his kit and his role better, haymaker can be good but a lot less so in grouped situationsa

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres a murky bundle with the skin....err I might have to pick that up :p

Kenaras

Perfect Storm + Sledgehammer + Piercing Bolt 4 lyfe. I'll just suck it up and deal with the mana issues.

And personally, I always take Avatar. I can see situations where Haymaker would be better, but Avatar is reliably good.

Funny Bunny is an amazing thing of eldritch horror, especially with the third skin tint. I love it. Even his little Murlocs are funny bunnies, I just have to see if Octo-Grab is any different. Only played Dragon Shire, so I had to pick March.

If Muradin didn't have mana problems he would be unbalanced. I think it's more of a cost/benefit analysis than anything, which you yourself said.

As for heroics, I almost always pick Haymaker. I even double down and get two charges frequently. You can punch people through terrain into other lanes. You can punch people through your buildings. You can, briefly, remove a problematic hero (CC heavy, support, damage dealer) from the enemy team during a fight and give your team an advantage or make the fight even by using the map and Haymaker. Or you can put an enemy hero into an incredibly vulnerable position by simply singling them out and putting them into the middle of your team or by punching them deep into your buildings.

Probably an answer that already exists but, if I am still playing this when this leaves beta and releases. They aren't going to do any weird level resets or anything right? I mean I know not characters or stuff as people paid money for that but they wouldn't do that with levels right?

Indignate

Probably an answer that already exists but, if I am still playing this when this leaves beta and releases. They aren't going to do any weird level resets or anything right? I mean I know not characters or stuff as people paid money for that but they wouldn't do that with levels right?

They've already done their planned final wipe.

Doesn't mean something weird can't happen, but it isn't planned for (and probably highly unlikely.)

Ketch

can someone pls point me to some tournament vods I can watch while doing homework?

I've missed a lot of the latest tournaments so anything would be great. thanks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hmm murky bundle is more than I though, 15€ is a bit too much. Back to waiting for a sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom