• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets do something about the PSN issues.

psn525.jpg

This thread is not about whether you find PSN is bad or not, it is more for what you should do if you are unsatisfied. I've been saying this in the past PSN threads regarding the problems PSN has been having.

It really is a waste of our time to just mindlessly go through the motions in PSN problem threads again and again every time this happens. And frankly I don't know how some of you guys can do it every time and just repeat the same thing ad nauseam. "WTF SONY." "Ridiculous!" "I pay for PS+ fix this shit Sony!" Every time. Frankly its a waste of time and achieves nothing and its always the same in these threads for the past year. No one is excusing the problems; but maybe time would be better spent doing something about it to let Sony know you think its unacceptable than it is just rabbling here.

There must be much more productive ways to possibly help the issue than just complaining here. Now granted I don't know a ton about this sort of stuff in business terms, I think if all of us who are annoyed by the problems could really make a difference by contacting Sony in an organized manner.

Many Sony execs like Shu and Boyes have twitter accounts that they avidly use that you can contact them with.

A twitter campaign is just one example of a way to make them take the issue seriously (and I would think something like #fixPSN would be a better idea then something like #PSNnotwork even if it is clever)

ALSO, I think it would be better to be a little mature and professional if you decide to do something. A well-written email or earnest tweet would go a lot longer than saying "FUCK YOU Sony! Fix this shit! Selling my PS4" on twitter.

We don't have to do anything. And sure, maybe nothing will come of this and it does nothing but I can't help but feel its a better use of our time than complaining.

EDIT: The reason I made this thread is because I understand many are unhappy with PSN on PS4 and have been having trouble. Personally I have not had many problems and am actually quite happy with the service. However, I understand that many other's experiences have been poor and that PSN could be better. It is also important to understand how long things like improving the network may take now that you pay for it. It is going to take a while and won't happen in a couple months of revenue. I do think PSN has improved since earlier in the year.

mdubs

Banned
I wonder if it was too much to hope that they would use some of that subscription money to improve the service now that online play is behind the paywall.

nelchaar

#NoPSNissues

Pretty sure Sony knows how crappy PSN is and are working on it. They're probably not very good at it though

Zareka

Mass cancellation of PS+. Anarchy. Chaos. Do it.

In all seriousness, the constant outage is pretty ridiculous now. Decided I'd hop on some Last of Us multiplayer tonight and, lo and behold, PSN is down. I'd be cool with some campaign-ish type thing, but I suck at them so I'd need someone to follow.

OraleeWey

The best way to do something is vote with your wallet. Stop subscribing.
But then you miss out on important features. This is simply unnaceptable how horrible PSN is almost a year later. Something so simple like sending a message to a friend is impossible to do without hiccups.

The only way you're really going to get their attention is via a real twitter campaign, or someone from a major website calling them out. If IGN writes a headline article about ongoing PSN problems it would most certainly get Sony's attention.

I've been planning on buying Advanced Warfare on PS4, but I'm literally sitting here 6 days before it comes out thinking "this seems like a risky move, maybe I should buy it on the Xbox". Kinda sad that I have to think about that.

Avallon

But then you miss out on important features. This is simply unnaceptable how horrible PSN is almost a year later. Something so simple like sending a message to a friend is impossible to do without hiccups.

If you are unwilling to vote with your wallet, then you are telling Sony that you are happy enough with their service to continue to subscribe.

SerTapTap

The best way to do something is vote with your wallet. Stop subscribing.

It's actually pretty terrible because they don't necessarily say why. In fact if less people were paying they may think "hey, cool, less focus on infrastructure, okay then"

Also don't forget Xbox One changed drastically before anyone even had a chance to vote with their wallet

mdubs

Banned
If you are unwilling to vote with your wallet, then you are telling Sony that you are happy enough with their service to continue to subscribe.

Well a lot of people have PS+ catalog games they might want to play and are subscribing for that rather than subscribing strictly for the online service, making it difficult to send that message.

ShapeGSX

People with odd serial numbers get to access PSN on odd numbered days. People with even serial numbers get to access PSN on even numbered days.

Done.

I was happy with the service but since Destiny the service has been really hit and miss and it has affected play. That is not where the service should ever be. It is a regular frustration over the past two months and if Sony don't make any improvements soon, it's going to be problematic with CoD, GTA and AC all coming out as well as the onslaught of new buyers this Xmas. It's sadly going to get worse before it gets better.

AmuroChan

Shu and Adam aren't going to be able to do much. They're probably as frustrated about the PSN issues as the fans are and I'm sure they've conveyed that to their bosses and the network division.

Nafai1123

Banned
It would help if people would actually clarify what they mean when they say "PSN is shit." You can't fix shit if you can't accurately explain what's wrong with it.

Banned
Sony needs to buy more data centres outside of California. They have everything in one location. You gotta spread those servers around.

Nephtes

PSN flakiness was a problem in the PS3 days, it's still a problem, it will probably always be a problem...

The only real solution is to own a PS4 and an Xbox One and just play the one that has their service up at the time.

Worked last gen, seems to be working for me this gen too.

It would help if people would actually clarify what they mean when they say "PSN is shit." You can't fix shit if you can't accurately explain what's wrong with it.

I'm pretty confident Sony can figure it out when people say that it's shit. It's not like people who oversee thousands of servers don't know when they're going down or crashing.

SegaShack

Send them an email or letter. Twitter campaigns are usually a joke IMO. PSN has been bad from the start and I am just used to it to be honest.

Logash

PSN flakiness was a problem in the PS3 days, it's still a problem, it will probably always be a problem...

The only real solution is to own a PS4 and an Xbox One and just play the one that has their service up at the time.

Not a valid answer when you are committed to one ecosystem.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
First they need to fix their OS to not rely on PSN so much, so the impact when it goes go down will be lessened.

Send them an email or letter. Twitter campaigns are usually a joke IMO. PSN has been bad from the start and I am just used to it to be honest.
Emails or letters are even worse than Twitter because on Twitter you have the chance of it going viral and having people publicly shit on a service you are not satisfied with. When you just write your lone email then there is no chance of virality and having potential customers see that your service is not up to the customer's demands.

reson8or

It would help your cause if you were to give examples of the problems and preferably the users who are experiencing them. Though anecdotal, it help get your point across instead of a nebulous "PSN problems."

It could be better, but PSN as a whole is pretty decent.

mdubs

Banned

Well that would be a solution but one console's online works damn near all the time and the other not so much.

I was finally able to log on to the PSN website and file a warranty claim (hate using the phone), I actually got a web survey and just wrote in the comments section my displeasure with Sony's network infrastructure. Maybe if they get enough of those it might help the executives to push for better performance.... who knows.

The regular down times are doing my head in.

I'd cancel but through a variety of promotions I have close to two years left....!

Dropped an email saying I'm not happy but doubt I'll get much more than a copy/paste response

I'd say request a refund on PSN, sell your PS4 and get an Xbox but it hasn't been exactly rainbows and unicorns on XBL either this year. Nintendo's network has probably been down the least of the 3.

Boke1879

I'm down with this. So far the most we can do right now. Is tweet yoshida, playstation and maybe Adam on twitter with our frustrations. Maybe even link them this thread so we know they'll see it.

They may not be able to do much but they have been the constant faces of the company. They have to know who to talk to.

@yosp @amboyes @PlayStation

Those are the twitter names you guys can tweet right now. Link them this thread and tell them how dissatisfied you are with the service.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm sorry, but you're not going to accomplish anything.

They know it's down and are working incredibly hard to fix whatever issues they may have. This doesn't excuse it, but this happens with online services. League of Legends was down every night for almost a month just a while back. Making hashtags, emailing people, shouting at them to fix the issue isn't going to do anything.

They're working on it. If that's not acceptable to you then either 1) cancel your PS+ in protest or 2) go to Xbox or PC, both of which are totally your right to do. Anything else is just a massive waste of time.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm pretty confident Sony can figure it out when people say that it's shit. It's not like people who oversee thousands of servers don't know when they're going down or crashing.

Not true at all. If I described PSN as shit because it took a few minutes to send/receive a message, they very well might not see that at all unless they were specifically looking for it.

Nephtes

Not a valid answer when you are committed to one ecosystem.

So don't commit to an ecosystem. Live in them all. You get all of the exclusives... And you get to be high and mighty above the console warz because you don't have a horse in the race. It's great... (and cheap this Gen compared to last too).

Being "committed" has a connotation of "insanity" you know? ^_^;

Logash

I'd say request a refund on PSN, sell your PS4 and get an Xbox but it hasn't been exactly rainbows and unicorns on XBL either this year. Nintendo's network has probably been down the least of the 3.

That's probably because Nintendo's has the least amount of features and requires low amounts of maintenance.

The only way you're really going to get their attention is via a real twitter campaign, or someone from a major website calling them out. If IGN writes a headline article about ongoing PSN problems it would most certainly get Sony's attention.

I've been planning on buying Advanced Warfare on PS4, but I'm literally sitting here 6 days before it comes out thinking "this seems like a risky move, maybe I should buy it on the Xbox". Kinda sad that I have to think about that.

People said Destiny would cause server issues at launch but there was no such thing when I got on that night. it's kind of sad when people are so quick to throw Sony under the bus up.

Top Bottom