• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with disc installations on Xbox One?

Yoday

Huh? I've installed all my games without any issues what so ever, works just as fine as on PS4 here, the drive is just a bit louder. Launch EU/Swedish XB1 btw.

But... What I don't get is WHY I need to install the whole game discs. On 360 you had the option to run games from the disc, here it doesn't matter if you're just testing a game for an hour to check something out, you still have to install the 30-50GB game on the 500GB HDD. Mandatory install is seriously the worst idea ever. My HDD is 70% full and I've had the console for 2 months. And it still stands that you can't swap the HDD to a bigger one right? What were they thinking?
You have to install the entire game because game sizes have gotten too large for the read speed of discs. Load times would be absolutely awful if you didn't install games to the HDD. Loading a level this gen is like loading almost an entire game from last gen, so you need the increased read speed of the HDD. It was either people bitching about this, or people bitching about load times that would be four times longer than they are now. If you are running out of space just delete a game or two that you aren't playing. Its not that hard.

strata8

It's crap.

The worst part is, if there's a patch, it will install the entire game from the disc, then download the patch. Why the hell couldn't you have done that while the game was installing??

And it doesn't even tell you that it's installing the patch. When I bought FH2, it got to 97% and stayed there for ages. Turns out, it was downloading a 4GB day-one patch, but no indication of that whatsoever.

Sorcerer

Maybe I completely misunderstood Phil in the podcast?

Did he mention that the problem lies with the fact that Xbox One was conceived as a system that was meant to be connected to the internet 24/7?

When they reversed that it seems something went wrong/changed with disk installs?

Again I apologize if I misunderstood what I heard.

Fredrik

You have to install the entire game because game sizes have gotten too large for the read speed of discs. Load times would be absolutely awful if you didn't install games to the HDD. Loading a level this gen is like loading almost an entire game from last gen, so you need the increased read speed of the HDD. It was either people bitching about this, or people bitching about load times that would be four times longer than they are now. If you are running out of space just delete a game or two that you aren't playing. Its not that hard.
Might not be hard but it's annoying to have to do that, feels like when the 360 had a 20GB HDD :/ Isn't the bluray drive quite fast though? What's the read speed compared to the HDD? Maybe some parts could be on the disc and the stuff that needs to load quickly could be installed, kind of like on PS3?

Top Bottom