• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think all console exclusives should be on PC?

Let's be honest here, when Sony and Microsoft tout exclusivity (Microsoft especially) they just mean console exclusive. Most times they don't even acknowledge that the game is also on PC.

Would it really cannibalize sales much if the likes of TLOU/Halo 5 are on PC as well? It's not like there isn't already a precedent for it.

They can still tout their console exclusives games. I think they're different audiences anyway

If they were I would have no reason to buy a console ever again. And I don't think this is what Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo want.

kudoboi

yes it would cannibalize sales.

and i don't really think PC and consoles really have different audiences. AAA titles that are top sellers on consoles are usually also top sellers on PC

Interfectum

Let's be honest here, when Sony and Microsoft tout exclusivity (Microsoft especially) they just mean console exclusive. Most times they don't even acknowledge that the game is also on PC.

Would it really cannibalize sales much if the likes of TLOU/Halo 5 are on PC as well? It's not like there isn't already a precedent for it.

They can still tout their console exclusives games. I think they're different audiences anyway

I don't think so. More and more hardcore gamers are jumping on the PC bandwagon thanks to services like Steam. If I knew all of Sony's exclusives were going to be on PC I would have never bought a PS4.

entremet

No. MS is a strange case because they sometime do put their stuff on PC since they created Windows.

But why would Sony and Nintendo do so? They want to move hardware.

Some consoles exclusive are made possible due to their business model.

Look at Sega pre and post console era. They really can' take much risk since all their revenue is tied to software.

1st party exclusives let us see more risk taking with higher budgets.

yuraya

Yes they should. Exclusive games on consoles are meaningless. The majority of the bought/played games on consoles are multiplats from UBI, Activision and EA..not exclusives. If every console exclusive released on PC it wouldn't change anything and wouldn't hurt console sales in any way.

Every game should be on every plattform so everyone can enjoy them imo.

This. But that's a pipe dream. I for one don't believe that the audiences intersect that much but the question is whether or not it would be more profitable to sell extra copies to those not interested in a console version or to hold it on their console which would force people to purchase that platform. I would assume it's the former based on no facts whatsoever.

Then just buy the console and only buy the exclusives? Therefore enjoying all the games?

Paying £350 for 3 games doesn't seem like a sound investment.

No. I appreciate the developer who goes 100% in on one system to get everything out of it than spreading it for parity. The PC is a platform thereby nullifying the exclusivity to a particular console.

Yes. Ideally all games should be on as many available platforms as possible. Of course I understand the business reasons behind console exclusivity.

Anteater

So what would be the point of different consoles?

Different and more options on features, specs and pricing I would guess, different services and different stores, different controllers.

Edit: For example if I'm buying a ps4 it would be for the form factor, the PS+ instant game access and PSnow services, playshare, and other streamlined media and streaming services, and perhaps even good customer services.

You know what the word exclusive means?

I mean I would want it but it seems counter productive for the console makers wanting consoles to sell.

Hahs

Yes! Without getting into a tech speech. I believe the PC version of a console exclusive can be equated to a directors cut. It contains everything the director wanted, but didn't make into the final cut. And of course any director with a directors cut wants to share it (their true to art vision) with the world.

Iorv3th

And it would still be console exclusive.

Exclusive to what ever platform Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo is on. Just on PC as well

Except I wouldn't have a reason to buy a console then because I could get every single game on PC.

In which case there would stop being console exclusives because there would no longer be consoles. Instead we would probably have a better market for HTPCs.

So what would be the point of different consoles?

Why do we have multiple cellphones, blu-ray players, e-readers?

They can change the interface and you'll have platforms with varying degrees of power. The accessories can be better. A better online ecosystem. You can create value aside of games.

Although I don't think it is a feasible route to take. And the Valve systems are kind of like this.

conman

Who would actually want console exclusives to be exclusive? There's no advantage to them. The only people who benefit from console exclusives are the people who work for and invest in the console manufacturers themselves.

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't like exclusives as it is. I understand the whys, but in every other media it would sound ridiculous if like the new spider man movie only played on Sony blueray players. Or Harry Potter was only available on Kindle.

You need a reason to have subscribers to Live and Plus.

Console exclusives are a big reason to keep people on your system, when they could just play those multiplayer games without a fee on PC.

Rizsparky

Yeah, I would think so

REV 09

I would prefer each console to have a few real exclusives each year. Enough to give the console a sense of identity. I already buy most games on pc, but sometimes I enjoy just popping in the disc and playing with friends. In some ways I've found mp games to be more enjoyable on consoles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No. Then how else would I get to see 'not port begs' about how this game sure would look great at 60 fps with mod support
That's the thing. There is no point. Multiple consoles and exclusivity wastes everyone's time and money in the long run.

Uh, multiple consoles promotes competition. And games like Bayonetta 2 likely wouldn't even exist without multiple consoles. Multiple consoles does more good things for consumers than bad.

Seanspeed

Banned

Considering most PC gamers own a console or two, it would absolutely cannibalize sales.

Nabbis

That's their own decision and a large part of console sales. What i don't like is exclusive/timed exclusive DLC content. It's crap and serves no real purpose, especially when you have multiple different pre-order packages etc.

Now, assuming that all games come out on PC as well, i would not touch any console with a ten feet stick.

Top Bottom