• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil Within (PC) patched to give options to remove letterboxing, allow 60 FPS.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've never heard of a 560ti with 4gb. Although I haven't seen reports of people having trouble running this on older cards provided they keep the 30fps lock.
Hm, maybe I'm wrong... I checked dxdiag, where do I check my 'real' VRAM?
iAnqvjwwtfEl1.png

Ateron

I know the game uses the black bars for performance reasons, but it still boggles my mind. The game looks good in some areas, but isn't exactly the most impressive game on either ps4/x1 catalogue. Both of them should be more than capable of running this without the bars. Blame the tools/engine, not the hardware.

Not saying these consoles could run it without the bars, with better AA and 60fps - that's something for the pc, but at least rock solid 30 and no bars. We have more complex looking games already that run higher than 30, with better AA and impressive particles with no black bars whatsoever. It's a shame cause it's the only thing that bugs me in the game. A few weird chapters/sections aside, loved everything in the game except the technical shortcomings.

So does this fix the FOV as well? That's the main issue for me, I don't mind the black bars too much.

Nooope. That's why I won't be playing until Flawless Widescreen updates to be compatible again. The game was perfect for me before, and now I'm stuck with the unacceptable FOV until this is fixed.

Grief.exe

Not when you get to certain areas that have a good amount of action/enemies coming at you. That one part where you first hit the village looking area with the gate? Game actually stopped for a few seconds when I got near the guy with the gun.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
Radeon 6870 2GB
4GB ram

Have a R9 280 on the way now thanks to the newegg link in the New PC thread.

That area isn't a great benchmark as the bonfires are extremely unoptimized.

Whenever I would look in their general direction, I would drop 20 frames instantly.

Fractal

Banned
Does this update includes any frame rate optimizations?
Would it be possible to achieve stable 60 FPS with a 780 Ti at 1440p (max settings)?

Wait, one thing I'm confused by, is the FOV in a place where this fix is literally just removing the black bars, or does this cause the game to be zoomed in further?

I see people complaining about the FOV still and I'm just wondering if those are people who've adjusted the FOV with flawless widescreen even further than normal

-MD-

Does this update includes any frame rate optimizations?
Would it be possible to achieve stable 60 FPS with a 780 Ti at 1440p (max settings)?

There was no 4GB 560Ti, 2GB was max. Dxdiag reports it weird. gpuz

Has this improved performance, is something close to constant 60 possible?

I don't believe this included any optimization going by what people are saying, though they're calling it patch #1 and it's only 2 weeks out from release so optimization could still come.

Momentary

Banned
Wait, one thing I'm confused by, is the FOV in a place where this fix is literally just removing the black bars, or does this cause the game to be zoomed in further?

I see people complaining about the FOV still and I'm just wondering if those are people who've adjusted the FOV with flawless widescreen even further than normal

It seems like it's just people who adjusted the FOV further.

RK9039

No, the FOV doesn't change with the letterbox removed. Some of us were using FOV fixes to go beyond the default settings. Those fixes don't work right now because of this new update.

I'm at work but I still need some clarifications on the FOV if you guys know. Does removing the black bars do the same thing it did when enabling the console (increasing the zoom?) Or is the FOV normal?

Also, someone said in this thread the cheatengine FOV fix no longer works with this patch. Can anyone else confirm?

EDIT:

No, the FOV doesn't change with the letterbox removed. Some of us were using FOV fixes to go beyond the default settings. Those fixes don't work right now because of this new update.

oh god dammit.

Grief.exe

At least the game is playable now, the fov isn't that heinous.

They may add in an FOV slider down the road, or wait for Flawless to receive an update.

Has anyone tried the FOV cvar?

Rip

well turned on the 60 fps lock and have crashed 3x in different places on chapter 2 newgame +. maybe crashed once my entire first playthrough.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The fact that they label the 60fps lock as "60fps V-Sync" is interesting to me.

Has anyone tried enabling that, and using Nvidia Inspector to force V-sync off? I'm curious if it's actual V-sync or just a framerate limiter.

I was thinking that a good way to get stable frametimings out of the game might be to disable the in game framerate limiter, then using Nvidia inspector to cap the framerate at 60 and force V-sync to 60 max.

DocSeuss

Sweet, maybe they should try patching the console versions to get them near a stable 30. Don't want to finish it on PS4 in its current state.

I am around two thousand percent certain that if PCs can't do it, then consoles sure can't.

It's a bit like saying "great, now they should put this lamborghini technology in my geo metro."

Seik

Banned
God exists.

I'm tempted to buy the PC version now. Those black bars are annoying as fuck, the game is really great, but the aspect ratio was one of the few negatives I had with it.

Jacob4815

From the official forum...
No patch for console is planned.

Currently, the only planned changes for the black bars comes by way of PC. The FOV and ultra-wide presentation are how the game was intended to be played by the development team.

If we have any new information, we'll be sure to share it with everyone.

I am around two thousand percent certain that if PCs can't do it, then consoles sure can't.

It's a bit like saying "great, now they should put this lamborghini technology in my geo metro."

From what I've played, there is nothing in this game that the consoles couldn't pull off. Nothing. The game doesn't look great and the lighting effects are things we've seen for years. This game (and engine really) is just a technical mess.

I've got a Lynnfield i5 750, and I hover around 30-40fps (1080p, AA off), with rare drops under 30. Game is unlocked to 60fps, and I'm using Flawless Widescreen hack (no black bars).

Rest of rig: GTX570 (1280VRAM), 8GB RAM, SSD.

My CPU is overclocked to 3.7Ghz however, so it might well simply be the clockspeed holding Yoshi back, as our PCs seem pretty similar.

1GHz over his will definitely make a difference in this game.

Mohonky

Hmmmmm? The fov is fine for me, its the same as it was for flawless widescreen, unless some of you were pulling the camera way back.

Anyway got the update, no more black bars, same fov I was using with flawless widescreen and while my gtx670 cant handle 60fps, its definitely chugging along at greater than 30fps and is noticable crisper to inputs (where I was timing for a few extra ms delay on disarming bomb traps, its now hitting right on the mark so I had to readjust).

Seems like a big improvement all round for me. All they need to fix now is how much of a system hog this game appears to be for no apparent reason.

Thanks, think I'll keep Steam in offline mode until Flawless WS updates then.

Glad to help. I was planning on getting through Chapter 10 today, but the boss I'm at was already pretty difficult to fight before, now with such a low FOV, I can barely see anything around Sebastian. So I guess I'll try out Siren Bloodcurse (got in on PSN sale).

AU Tiger

Looks fine, I don't understand why they chose the black bars thing.
I'm secretly hoping The Order devs will change their minds :(

Full screen rendering or a stable frame rate. You can't have both with those visuals.

Ready at Dawn bit off more than they could chew and I suspect the PS4 final hardware was not as powerful as they thought. Rather than dumb down the graphics, they went with the black bars just like Mikami did.

Purely speculation of course but it makes sense to me. I'm actually surprised that Ubi hasn't done the same for AC unity. From the sounds of it, they're going to be ok with the frame rate being shit.

Top Bottom