• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

That looks like that one photoshop fliter slapped onto screenshots. but kinda cool, I guess?!

Errr... I mean the scanlines are perfectly applied per pixel line, not like a cheap post processing effect in Photoshop.

It looks really good, I'd play my n64 games like that all day.

TheMoon

was thinking of this but in direct comparison I can appreciate the in-software scanlines now.
kinda3gs6z.jpg

thisdusu9.jpg

Mega

Banned
See my other post^^

I saw.

I should note those pics you posted don't have a Photoshop filter effect added. They look like ordinary 240p direct captured images upscaled to a higher resolution, similar to the ones I posted except lacking a scanline filter (edit: actually the ones you posted look like they have a higher internal res from an emulator).

Example of 240p upscaled to 1080p, no scanlines added:

TheMoon

I saw.

I should note those pics you posted don't have a Photoshop filter effect added. They look like ordinary 240p direct captured images upscaled to a higher resolution, similar to the ones I posted except lacking a scanline filter (edit: actually the ones you posted look like they have a higher internal res from an emulator).

Example of 240p upscaled to 1080p, no scanlines added:

I added the filter myself so they do have the filter I (mistakenly) thought of earlier :D and yea, i specifically looked for high res emu pics to throw through the filter. Note that I never claimed they looked exactly like one thing or another, just a casual side remark from a quick glance :D

Rich!

I added the filter myself so they do have the filter I (mistakenly) thought of earlier :D and yea, i specifically looked for high res emu pics to throw through the filter. Note that I never claimed they looked exactly like one thing or another, just a casual side remark from a quick glance :D

But

You added a crap filter that doesn't seem to achieve anything at all to a widescreen hacked HD screenshot. I don't see how it's in any way comparable to a proper 240p screenshot taken from real hardware with accurate scanlines that match up to the xrgb or a broadcast CRT like my JVC. With AA turned off via an action replay code, Mario 64 on my RGB 64 looks near identical on my JVC to the shot mega posted.

purdobol

Was curious how dos games will look at their native resolution. Actually it's not that bad considering it's only 200p hehe.
DOOM
dsc02255fnk17.jpg
dsc022570cjys.jpg

Day of the Tentacle
dsc02265bjk52.jpg
dsc02267tjjlz.jpg

Epic Pinball
dsc022691qkvq.jpg
dsc02272t9kjt.jpg

Jazz Jackrabbit
dsc02276oyj0q.jpg
dsc02278o1kiq.jpg

Shadow Warrior
dsc02280vtk9p.jpg
dsc02282b3khf.jpg

Tyrian 2000
dsc022848ikh4.jpg
dsc02286vbjkk.jpg

Hardware: Dosbox + CRT Monitor. Now i'm kinda curious how it'll look on CRT TV...

Peltz

Was curious how dos games will look at their native resolution. Actually it's not that bad considering it's only 200p hehe.

Hardware: Dosbox + CRT Monitor. Now i'm kinda curious how it'll look on CRT TV...
Yo thanks so much for posting this. It's been a very console/arcade focused thread so far. But I'd love to see some more old school PC games that were super-low res.

What CRT monitor are you using? Is this VGA (I assume not) or some other type of connection?

purdobol

What CRT monitor are you using? Is this VGA (I assume not) or some other type of connection?

22" Liyama Vision Master Pro 513. It's connected through VGA cable. And runs on custom modeline 2560x200@120Hz.
Well I guess some clarification is needed here. Dos games did not looked like this. The native resolution at the time was CGA 320x200 (mostly, there were some oddballs here and there). But the output was doubled to 640x400 (320x400 to be more precise) for 31kHz screens. Also pixels weren't square but that's another topic. So its not authentic look. Just did it for fun :)

TheMoon

But

You added a crap filter that doesn't seem to achieve anything at all to a widescreen hacked HD screenshot. I don't see how it's in any way comparable to a proper 240p screenshot taken from real hardware with accurate scanlines that match up to the xrgb or a broadcast CRT like my JVC. With AA turned off via an action replay code, Mario 64 on my RGB 64 looks near identical on my JVC to the shot mega posted.

let me point you back at the last sentence there in my quote about how that was a casual remark based on a quick glance. Those modified pics are in no way meant to rival anything, just wanted to illustrate what I thought I had seen.

Mega

Banned

Ah, a pixelation filter. NP.

But

He admitted as much that it's not the same thing. Chill :p

Mega

Banned
22" Liyama Vision Master Pro 513. It's connected through VGA cable. And runs on custom modeline 2560x200@120Hz.
Well I guess some clarification is needed here. Dos games did not looked like this. The native resolution at the time was CGA 320x200 (mostly, there were some oddballs here and there). But the output was doubled to 640x400 (320x400 to be more precise) for 31kHz screens. Also pixels weren't square but that's another topic. So its not authentic look. Just did it for fun :)

Did you use CRT Emudriver and use one of the monitor presets in VMMaker to generate the scanline modes? Or did you somehow create your own?

Did you set desktop resolution using Arcade OSD?

I wish I could figure out how to create a monitor preset for my specific multisync CRT.

purdobol

Did you use CRT Emudriver and use one of the monitor presets in VMMaker to generate the scanline modes? Or did you somehow create your own?
Yep. CRT Emudriver. Custom modelines generated in VMMaker (you can specify what resolutions you want by editing config files). The important part is to have compatible video card. I'm using old PC with HD 4730 inside and it works perfectly. Used to do it "by hand" using Custom resolution utility (powerstrip is also an option) but it's so much easier with custom drivers. Many more modelines plus a lot less geometry issues. Linux is kinda good alternative. Creating custom resolutions there is a breeze but on the other hand vsync is a nightmare.
Did you set desktop resolution using Arcade OSD?
It's not needed. Once modelines are created you simply set the res on emulator and it's switches on it's own (must be fullscreen though). Arcade OSD is more for tracking geometry issues and fiddling with timings, to create very specific presets. That can be used with groovymame.
I wish I could figure out how to create a monitor preset for my specific multisync CRT.
Send me a pm if you have any specific problem. Will try to help. It's not that complicated once you get the hang of it.

Some pics from my last gameplays, I finally completed Comix Zone, a long time pending task since my adolescence, but I never had a genesis until recently. A short but awesome game, loved it.

wNftlVA.jpg

kWEu6A9.jpg

nbzdKee.jpg

FHtixgc.jpg

isu02fn.jpg

Same with Revenge of Shinobi, but I haven't completed it yet, though I've reached the final stage already, so it's just a matter of time.

vHrLQsN.jpg

dq3E0BR.jpg

A few pics from Mighty Final Fight in my Famicom AV, it's not RGB but its better than RF

EzJSy0B.jpg

4GZKXuW.jpg

Some Yoshi's Island, what a beautiful game

jot7T3j.jpg

4gM1cZf.jpg

And these last pics are from a Sanyo 21" CRT I have stored in my parents beach apartment, for my summer retrogaming sessions :p, It was VERY dusty when I turned it on the first time, you can appreciate it in the first pic.

Donald in Maui Mallard
8zVopQs.jpg

Puyo Puyo 2
lBRHOBf.jpg

Finally only to say I have no words to describe how much I love this thread, keep posting awesome pics guys.

inafking

Here are mine. Done using Windows XP X64 with a Nvidia Geforce 7025 integrated gfx card with Winmodelines on a Philips CRT TV (flat screen) model 29PT9457

60Hz Vertical refresh Mode (256x224 progressive mode. Game: Elevator Action from TAITO)

55Hz Vertical Refresh Mode (384x256 progressive mode. Game: Kaiketsu Yanchamaru from IREM)

60Hz Vertical refresh Mode (256x224 progressive mode. Game: Cabal from TAD Corporation)

Those are old. Now I'm using another configuration:
  • Radeon HD 5450 1GB
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Philips CTR TV Model 29PT5632 (sure, it doesn't have PAL-M/PAL-N to show 50Hz modes but it doesn't suffer from an ugly spot on the screen that gets stronger as time goes on. It's some sort of gaussing but that doesn't dissapear permanently. When you turn the TV on the spot isn't there but as time goes by it becomes more apparent. Still can show modee down to 55Hz)

IDK why if I surround the pics in quotes sometimes I can't expand them

Mega

Banned
That looks awesome. Great color saturation. Edit: @zello, hadn't refreshed yet to see sixteen bit's photos, which also look very good!

purdobol

Xenogears (PS1) and Marvel vs Capcom (Dreamcast). I may have posted the MvC1 pic before, I dunno.

MvC1 pic is so damn good though. Wouldn't mind it posted ten times in a row :p

Dos games on crt adventure continues. This time only 4 pics since my camera refuses to take decent shots for some bizarre reason.

dsc02319znx59.jpg
dsc02321del1u.jpg

Wing Commander: Privateer
strifem8um2.jpg
strife2ojuqq.jpg

Strife

Dosbox on 20" Samsung TV (CK5051A) + VGA to SCART cable.

lazygecko

Dos games on crt adventure continues. This time only 4 pics since my camera refuses to take decent shots for some bizarre reason.

Dosbox on 20" Samsung TV (CK5051A) + VGA to SCART cable.

Keep going. I tried doing this last year with Doom but for some reason everyone hated it and couldn't understand why I would want to do something like that.

purdobol

Keep going. I tried doing this last year with Doom but for some reason everyone hated it and couldn't understand why I would want to do something like that.
Thanks. I'm kinda hesitant to put more, because well don't want to overdo it.
So last 3 shots I promise :) Not Dos this time though. Something a little different.

AM2R at 320x240
dsc02394dsuuv.jpg
dsc024022yu2c.jpg
dsc02407wluo6.jpg

Peltz

Thanks. I'm kinda hesitant to put more, because well don't want to overdo it.
So last 3 shots I promise :) Not Dos this time though. Something a little different.

Fantastic shots, and I love the close up pixel layout of your CRT, but is there anything you could do about that overscan? A little overscan is fine, but it would bother me playing a game with the HUD elements cut off like that.

Top Bottom