• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sells over 34 million units

IKizzLE

Damm....They could nearly make 5 GTA Games with that money!
Yea outside of the bonuses the rock star guys will get and the massive ones take2 execs Will get, most of the profits will go into R&D for future franchises.

Hopefully they go all out in the next iteration of their most popular franchises (red dead, midnight club, max Payne) and perhaps reimagine some of their other ones (bully, manhunt, smugglers run) and create some new ips in genres they haven't penetrated (rpg, sci-fi).

Duxxy3

You are not making sense, the game is still selling today,

Usually I can gain some idea of how a game is selling, or sold, based upon my group of friends and family that play games. I didn't hear a peep from them about GTAV. The people I know that have a next gen system haven't mentioned it coming it in November either.

Forza Horizon 2 yup. Destiny big yup. Shadow of mordor yup.

Not even a whisper about GTA. Just a strange phenomenon in my group.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So it did sell more than Pokemon

XS5LK.gif

Yea outside of the bonuses the rock star guys will get and the massive ones take2 execs Will get, most of the profits will go into R&D for future franchises.

Hopefully they go all out in the next iteration of their most popular franchises (red dead, midnight club, max Payne) and perhaps reimagine some of their other ones (bully, manhunt, smugglers run) and create some new ips in genres they haven't penetrated (rpg, sci-fi).

I really wouldn't be surprised if we only saw two or three big Rockstar titles this gen if it's just a five year generation.

Rockstar knew what they were doing when they stuck exclusively to last gen for the initial launch of that game. The current HD-re-release is going to sell some crazy numbers.

Chris1

Rockstar knew what they were doing when they stuck exclusively to last gen for the initial launch of that game. The current HD-re-release is going to sell some crazy numbers.
Yep. Especially when heists and the DLC comes out.

Will be double dipping for the xbox one version as soon as it goes 50% off on xbox sales, which hopefully shouldn't take too long. Can't justify myself to pay full price for it again.

PSYGN

I bought it for the Xbox 360 first, and then I bought it for the PS3 because that was the system my coworker friend had it on, and now I've preordered it on the PS4 :| And I'm still hyped for it.

I learned you can build your own tracks now. I haven't touched the game in many months ever since I got my PS4. Can't wait to build some crazy tracks to race my friends with.

Sothpaw

Can't wait to finally play this on PC. I love it when a game like this sells massive numbers because it shows that my demographic is indeed as dominant in gaming as ever.

Cse

Banned
Now imagine, GTA6 made for next gen....

It's coming.

Honestly, I feel part of the reason Rockstar wanted to release GTA V on the PS4 and Xbox One was so that they could familiarize themselves with the hardware. I think it's almost like practice for them. They can get the engine up and running on the hardware, and they can start to become conversant in the architecture and hardware limitations of the systems.

Thus, when they start development on GTA VI (they probably already have, actually), they'll already have quite a bit of experience in programming for the systems.

bud23

Usually I can gain some idea of how a game is selling, or sold, based upon my group of friends and family that play games. I didn't hear a peep from them about GTAV. The people I know that have a next gen system haven't mentioned it coming it in November either.

Forza Horizon 2 yup. Destiny big yup. Shadow of mordor yup.

Not even a whisper about GTA. Just a strange phenomenon in my group.

It's funny you mention that, because GTA V for PS3/360 almost outperformed FH2 last month
(100k vs 120k)
. Sorry m8, but your theory doesn't seem to be working

It's coming.

Honestly, I feel part of the reason Rockstar wanted to release GTA V on the PS4 and Xbox One was so that they could familiarize themselves with the hardware. I think it's almost like practice for them. They can get the engine up and running on the hardware, and they can start to become conversant in the architecture and hardware limitations of the systems.

Thus, when they start development on GTA VI (they probably already have, actually), they'll already have quite a bit of experience in programming for the systems.

Pretty much my exact thought on way home from work. Was thinking of GTA V having seen the new sales thread.

I really do think that current-gen GTA V will blow our minds. I am expecting to be visually overwhelmed, not to mention the enhanced damage effects. I think we are all in for a shock when we get to play it and I can't wait.

Razyl

34 Millions? thats huge - with the current-gen and pc release it should break 50 millions next year.

Only round about two weeks, then i will play it on my ps4. Looking forward :)

But I'm curious about one thing: Imagine rockstar games would have released GTA V only on current gen - systemseller for both easily i guess.

Awesome game and well deserved. Easily high on my 10 ten games of last generation. Developers love to bullshit about how their game pushes X system to its limit but GTA V really showed that it was pushing the 7th gen to its absolute limit which is why I forgave a lot of the performance issues present in the game.

Ruruja

Here's a thought.

As the next-gen versions will be quite different compared to the original versions, will they be labelled as a separate game in sales (like GTAV (Next Gen Version)), or will they just continue to add to this 34 million?

At what point does a re-released game with new additions fail to be the original game?

This is probably just confirmation bias, but I don't see the next gen versions topping 5 million lifetime. 34 million on two consoles SHOULD cover the vast vast majority of potential buyers out there.
I can't imagine that. Probably surpass that LTD on just first-time PS4 buyers alone. Then through it first-time XB1 and PC buyers, repeat buyers, people who buy it for $10-30 over the next 8-10 years over the entire generation cycle. Then there's new markets, if it gets approved for China (not even certain) there's potential there... and just in general anyone that picks it up. It should easily be able to move 10m and I wouldn't be surprised to see 15m. A lot of those maybe be later discounted sales so the revenue will be lower but it'll still be units moved. I'd be surprised to see it move just 5m.

Booshka

I just bought it on impulse first week it came out on last gen. Played it for like half an hour and didn't feel like putting the time into it. And it kinda ran like ass, really wish I would have waited to pick up the PC version.

I will probably go back and play it on the 360 version I paid for though, not gonna buy it again if I already own it.

Top Bottom