• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Big Alpha Impressions/bugs/glitches thread

I haven't played the game yet but I get the feeling that it would benefit greatly from an offline mode that simply let you learn the maps and play/monster abilities. This game is highly dependent on the players making the game fun for each other, and not having a way to learn the highly specialized roles in a stress free environment is bound to be frustrating.

I suspect that a large part of the "tracking the monster down is boring" problem comes from not knowing the maps and inexperienced play. Once the players can better anticipate what the monster will do, and the monster starts using that to set up more ambushes, there should be more player/monster interactions. In addition the time between those interactions should be more interesting because of the mind games being played.

TL;DR The game should get more fun the better the players get which is why having an offline tutorial/training mode needs to be included in the game.

This

Burt

Good games are great. The problem is that a stomp one way or the other really isn't all that rewarding for anyone involved.

LycanXIII

@EvolveGame 2 minutes ago
PS4 users – we’ll have an update for you shortly on #BigAlpha for Evolve. Thanks for your patience.

Patroclos

Banned
Xbox One Quick Impressions;

First off I'm not sure how I got in as I'm not a preview member and don't know what that is, can anybody tell me?

Load times and getting into a match takes a while as others have said. I played as a Medic and Assault so far. I'm liking it but it is something that will take a while to learn. In order to give a thumbs up or thumbs down I'll have to play the whole weekend at least. It really seems like a game that is going to take awhile to learn and become adept at as it is far different from anything else.

- The snow level is pretty amazing. The snow looks like a "real" heavy snow is falling. It can diminish visibility. Best snowstorm I've ever seen in a game.

- The game is more about tension and hide and seek than actual fighting. If you are looking for a 4 vs 1 "monster fighting" game, this is probably not for you. It's a slow burn most times rather than a FPS type game. I like this about it, quiet tense moments interspersed with a few all out engagements.

- Maps are plenty big and seem to be the right size. They are also nicely varied.

- The wildlife seems to pose little threat to the hunters as you can just jet away most of the time. Is there a benefit to hunters killing wildlife? Seems better to just avoid it.

- The hunters seem to hit an invisible ceiling sometimes with the jet pack. This could be me doing something wrong but I believe I still had fuel on multiple occasions but would just hover a few feet below the ledge I wanted to reach. I'm hoping I was doing something wrong because this is a game breaker as it wastes your entire jet pack and a lot of time and you cannot tell what you can climb successfully and what you cannot. Anyone have any answers here?

- Weapons and abilities seem nicely varied and designed to promote cooperation. I noticed it was hard to tell when scoring hits with the Assault class machine gun.

- The game's enjoyability right now is heavily based on the other players, as people get better so will the game.

- The end of game map screen that shows what everyone was doing and where they did it in sped up time is AWESOME! It's a great learning tool and just cool to watch while loading. More games should have this.

- I like the scoring and leveling systems. The tutorials seemed perfectly adequate to me unlike what some have said.

- I love the system in place that easily allows you to rank your preferred character or the monster. Each can be selected and given a value between 1 and 5. The game seems to do well with this and its easily changed between matches. I got my preferred character 3 out of 4 times and never got my 4th or 5th selection.

Final thoughts, I'm going to spend some time with it this weekend but as of right now I plan on picking it up because of the uniqueness. Seems like it will get better as you play and learn and there is nothing quite like it. If you are not expecting balls to the wall monster fighting 90% of the time you probably won't be let down. Realize there is a bit more strategy and thought involved in planning and trying to set up encounters than just happening into them and the game takes on a new aspect. One last thought, the polish seems good to me as does content, especially for an alpha, It doesn't seem like it should be FTP or value priced to me at all. I'm not sure why people are saying this, maybe because there is no single player?

Patroclos

Banned
I get the feeling that once you know the map better you should be able to anticipate where the monster is going. So instead of following him for 10 minutes you'd be trying to cut him off.

I can also see a risk vs reward situation happening where the team has to balance splitting apart a little bit in order to spot the monster more quickly vs staying together for safety. The monster would then have to adapt to this. If the party spreads out to search faster the monster should go on the offensive to attack the now weakened units. If he doesn't then he'll spend all his time running and never have a chance to level up.

I think this will become the meta game that makes the chasing more interesting, but it can only happen once players know what they are doing.

I agree with all this having played.

- The wildlife seems to pose little threat to the hunters as you can just jet away most of the time. Is there a benefit to hunters killing wildlife? Seems better to just avoid it.
If I'm not mistaken, killing them means the monster cannot feed (or gets way less for doing so)

Still waiting for PS4 servers to be up.......

Seems like unlike a MP game where you run around a map and shoot things, you need to really learn the maps and abilities in this game, so a tutorial would have really helped here.

I am curious as to how this game plays with a full team of skilled and knowledgeable players. Hopefully we get to see some of that in the beta

If I'm not mistaken, killing them means the monster cannot feed (or gets way less for doing so)

I've actually had half my team wiped from a wild animal.

Monster would be smart to plan its encounters with hunters around the big aggressive wildlife.

Krakn3Dfx

there is something missing in this game. it just gets repetitive and even boring at time when you spend 20 minutes looking for the monster and 2 minutes killing him, then its over.

Yeah, this was my problem with the previous alpha, I was hoping they would tighten it up a bit, add something to break up the monotony. Sounds like that didn't happen.

I'm sure this game is for someone, but it doesn't come across as the kind of game I would enjoy like L4D was.

Patroclos

Banned
Yeah, this was my problem with the previous alpha, I was hoping they would tighten it up a bit, add something to break up the monotony. Sounds like that didn't happen.

I'm sure this game is for someone, but it doesn't come across as the kind of game I would enjoy like L4D was.

I agree, if you are looking for L4D you will be disappointed. Although not because it's bad in comparison, just very different.

1st try "server is full"
2nd "server is full"
3rd "disconnected, game session lost" (or something like that)
4th "server is full"

6th try, nothing. I suppose the central servers are collapsed with ps4 and pc players joining to the party?

biteren

I agree, if you are looking for L4D you will be disappointed. Although not because it's bad in comparison, just very different.

makes me wonder what the whole game is gonna have then? will people be willing to pay full price for this?

perhaps its to early to tell, but we an always wonder....

I'm sure it's just my entitlement talking but really.....what is the issue with the PS4 servers? You set a delayed specific time for the alpha to go live and let people download it in advance. It doesn't seem like the servers are being overloaded and having problems during games (which would be excusable), they just straight up haven't let anyone in for 40 minutes now.......... Was really hoping to play before work and it's looking like that won't happen today

Krakn3Dfx

How is it if I just jump in and play with randoms? None of my friends were able to get codes except me.

I think it's going to be tough to win against the monster without a cohesive team where everyone is playing their roles. If you just throw in 4 randoms and a couple of them just kind of do their own thing, I don't see that team ever winning against a skilled monster player.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If an animal has a symbol above its head, definitely kill it. It will give you a buff if you go to the corpse and hit X, they're the same animals that give the monster a buff if he eats them.

If an animal has a symbol above its head, definitely kill it. It will give you a buff if you go to the corpse and hit X, they're the same animals that give the monster a buff if he eats them.
Ah, alright. That's pretty cool, I didn't know hunters got in-game upgrades too

SURGEdude

PC:

Pros:
-Looks great
-Runs well

Cons:
-Game isn't fun
-Super unbalanced

How this won so many awards is beyond me.

And I'm a diehard L4D(1) fan.

Patroclos

Banned

Ahhhh. Makes sense. Haven't noticed them yet. I was just avoiding regular ones.

wilsonda

My impressions echo previous users... there is an excellent experience to be had with this game but it will be very dependent upon learning the tricks and having good teamates
... your user experience is greatly impacted by your team's abilities

Very excited to get some more time over ththe weekend.. the huge loading times allow me to do some cleaning around the house before the game loads haha

Alpha seems to be on fire on the pc. Got one full game played and was incredibly laggy, any other game has been disconnect or servers are full. I'll try tomorrow haha.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm sure it's just my entitlement talking but really.....what is the issue with the PS4 servers? You set a delayed specific time for the alpha to go live and let people download it in advance.

Guess what would have happened if they hadn't done this and had issues that delayed the servers being up during the alpha test? Driveclub would have happened.

People being able to play these alpha/beta runs are very much secondary to seeing how the servers handle loads and what issues arise when you throw a bunch of people in at once. That's kind of the point. This happening now is a good thing if it means it won't happen later.

Xyber

Ugh, game is locked to 60FPS even without Vsync.

But at least it was a pretty stable 60 with very high and SMAA T1X, but I expect no less from a 970.

NotLiquid

I've tried six times to connect to a game to no avail on PC. I take it the servers are getting hammered but this is a bit annoying.

Have to say its not often I see games automatically match me up with players in ny country exclusively. So many Swedes playing.

In my 8th or 9th try it worked! I won my first game easily as a trapper, but that's because I trapped the monster on tier 1.

Performance is good, graphics are nice. Load times are much less nice.

Top Bottom