• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark: Illumination ; Everything we know, New Screens, Pre-Order Beta

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alone in the Dark: Illumination is the sixth entry in the AitD series, a supposed reboot to the series that also doubles as a remake to the failed previous 'reboot' of the series, the 2008 Alone in the Dark game. The game supposedly releases late this year (or in the next couple months) at Holiday 2014, but the developer and publisher have been so quiet on this game and there is so little information (and the information that is happens to be so scattered around), that I feel that even those that are aware of this game's existence really don't know what it is.

Being a horror enthusiast, I decided to take the plunge and pre-order the game. But after pre-ordering, I got really curious to look more into the game as there has been very little said at all about it, and honestly I knew next to nothing about it. After much research, I've come to know a bit more about it, I kind of want to compile this all in one place (something the developer and publisher seem to not be doing quite yet), and really I just kind of want to discuss this game. Also some new information was released and the game has a very limited pre-order promotion sale on Steam to November 3rd.

alone-in-the-dark.jpg

Alone in the Dark: Illumination Teaser Trailer

Alone in the Dark: Illumination is being developed by a new studio called 'Pure FPS', which includes people who worked on Dead Island, BioShock Infinite, and Battlefield. They seem to be stationed in Europe, as the website lists all the credits of the game to be under Atari Europe. The game is being developed with the Unreal Engine 4. Like the game, the team itself is rather mysterious, lacking some fleshed out details.

However, despite the name of the company, Alone in the Dark: Illumination is not actually a FPS. It has a camera-angle akin to something like Resident Evil 4, but pulled back (this is from the single clip of gameplay of the game that was shown at the recent Alienware News Stream on October 27th, where the game was shown briefly. However, it was off-camera and off-focus, terrible quality, and you can't really tell too much, but it at least made it 100% certain the game has a RE4-esque camera rather than a FPS one).

The game in question is a action-horror title, though with elements of a survival-horror game. It also is another attempt at rebooting the Alone in the Dark franchise, but also is a remake, specifically of the 2008 Alone in the Dark game, which they seem to want to try and do better.

Before we had any real information on the game, we had these screens:

When these screens were released a few months ago, Atari described the game as an action survival-horror game, which has a co-op feature and focus. Players take the role of one of four characters, each with different 'roles', weapons, abilities, and story. To break them down simply...

To copy and paste some descriptions;

The Hunter

As a direct descendant of Edward Carnby, a hero of the original Alone in the Dark, the Hunter grew up enthralled by the adventures of the “Supernatural Private Eye.” He knew every detail of every case, including the notes of the strange creatures encountered. His grandfather was his mentor and as such the Hunter vowed that he too would help rid the world of the evil Darkness.

Primary Weapons and Abilities: AK47, M4, P90, Flamethrower.

The Witch
The Witch is the great-granddaughter of Emily Hartwood, the heroine of the original Alone in the Dark. After her various other-worldly encounters with Edward Carnby, Emily Hartwood began to dabble in the supernatural world. But unlike other occult practitioners she met, Emily learned only what she needed to protect herself. Her great-granddaughter, the Witch, followed in her footsteps and also studied the supernatural arts. From a young age, the Witch had a natural gift for magic, and her abilities far surpassed those of her other family members. The Witch swore to use her abilities to help others, and help protect the world from evil forces, such as those that terrorized her family.

Primary Weapons and Abilities: Colt, Lightning Strike, Creature Control, Lightning Crawler.

The Priest

The son of the nation’s most influential religious leaders, the Priest trained from a young age to combat the forces of darkness. With his enhanced abilities to heal and purify even the most extreme cases, the Priest has become a leading warrior in the never-ending battle against the darkness.

Primary Weapons and Abilities: Heaven and Hell, The Lord’s Blinding Light, Cleansing of the Sinners, The Binding Word.

The Engineer

The daughter of the Chief Engineer of the world’s leading computer hardware manufacturer, the Engineer was born to work with electronics. While other children played with plastic blocks, she was making remote-controlled robots from parts she found in her father’s work shed. Making gadgets filled up the Engineer’s free time. Her goal is to create mechanical items which could rival her father’s groundbreaking work.

Primary Weapons and Abilities: Beretta, Pump Shotgun, Tesla Wall, Comet.

----

...So basically, it's a class-based action-horror game with a co-op focus, and that's about as far as you'll get looking into the game's official sources. That and the game supposedly has a large Lovecraft theme, especially in its monsters, and takes place in the town of Lorwich, Virginia (fictional).

However, there is more loose information on the game, it's just been scattered around.

The game actually does have a single player mode, but I guess somewhere along the way they decided to focus on the co-op mode. The story mode revolves minions of Cthulhu kidnapping friends of the Hunter (who you start off with), and you have to go rescue them. As you rescue them, you unlock them for use in single-player, and probably build up to a finale with Cthulhu as he's the big baddie at play here it seems (or is he?).

However, if you play co-op, then everyone's together from the get-go, but it follows the same levels... Kind of. Apparently, a big feature in this game is some randomization features. Enemies will be random, but also level design and course will be random. A simple example given by the dev, in one playthrough of the level a door may be open, but in the next it may be locked. There will be multiple possible paths through levels, and more possible random enemy set-ups from that. On-top of this, the levels have a dynamic quality to them and actions made in the levels can drastically change the levels themselves. They have not fully gotten into details of what this means, but it's a heavily advertised feature that the levels will change dynamically and what paths you take or what happens in the level based on things you choose or change in the environment

The game follows a Left 4 Dead structure, where there are four campaigns with multiple levels in each campaign. While the levels can change drastically, there is a set point A and point B, and you ultimately fight your way to point B to a L4D-style safehouse. However, a slight twist here is that the safehouses have large heft vault-like doors that will slowly open, making them potential 'last stand' spots as you hold off and wait for the door to open.

And then there's the enemies themselves, listed as Lovecraftian based. The enemies specifically named are Roof Walkers, Shapes, Spawns, Goblins, Demons, Ghouls, Hell Hounds and Reapers. However, we've only seen two of these (the one in the above screenshot, and one in an upcoming screenshot below). And there's a twist here that changes the gameplay dynamically and makes it something more akin to Alan Wake. Apparently, the enemies are a force known as 'The Darkness', and are impervious in the dark. You need to destroy their shadow barriers, and use the environment to your advantage, as well as the difference between light and dark. Some enemies can't be killed unless they're bathed in strong light. Characters can create light sources in different ways based on what class you play as. You can also use the environment to create light sources, or use your weapons to reveal light or to create some sort of light source. An example, the Hunter has a flamethrower. It burns out quickly, but he can burn enemies with it, which is effective as it creates light and sets them ablaze... But he can also burn certain things in the environment, which creates light that stays around much longer, and can be used for a very different purpose. Similar things exists for all the characters.

Also, from a few previews that have been released from people who played it behind closed door at PAX Prime, they claim that while the game is an action game, it has some design stuff similar to a survival-horror game. For example, apparently in the demo they played, ammo was very scarce, and actually it was sometimes much better to run and try to evade your foes that take them on, or keep them back with light and other environmental things.

These screenshots were also just released:

The game also has been put up on pre-order on Steam, and apparently has a limited time 'Eldritch Edition'' for those who pre-order before a specific date:

aitd_pre-order.jpg

Apparently includes some costumes, gun skins, and access to the beta of the game, which goes live in late November.

Basically, the vibes I understand from those who have been played, those who will share, is that this game is essentially Left 4 Dead x Alan Wake x Lovecraft, with a Alone in the Dark paint. I don't find that a bad thing, but to see how the game itself is (which I guess I'll know sooner than most, as I decided to blindly pre-purchase it, so will be getting into the beta).

---

What I'm curious about is why they're being so hush on not just this game, but a couple other projects they're working on. The couple impressions that played both games had neither particularly negative and neither had a real PR spin on it either, it sounded like they thought it was interesting and solid and be interesting to see where it goes, but the developers have shown nothing to how it goes so far. I expect they may loosen their lips some come to the fact the beta starts in less than a month and you can now pre-order the game. But the game seems so far under the public radar right now, in big part because Alone in the Dark is hardly a household name these days nor does recent entries in the series (by recent, I mean 6 years ago of course) give reason for confidence, that this silence seems weird, but is it to hide a crappy game, bad marketing, to keep the game illusive as opposed to illuminated, do they have faith in the word-to-mouth the game may spread?

Many will write it off simply for the fact it's a co-op action-horror game, but I think it sounds promising enough if you're okay with a horror-action co-op game, I'm just wondering if it can deliver on its ideas, and I sort of want to talk about it. I have found myself strangely intrigued by the title, maybe for the fact it's so ambiguous right now. Wanted to sort of collect everything we know, as well as post the new screenshots and pre-order beta deal.

Sound interesting or promising, sounds terrible and misguided, could be fun, likely going to be terrible? What say you GAF, to Alone in the Dark: Illumination?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A CO-OP focused game called Alone in the Dark.

Oh... kay.

I'll stick to the originals thanks.

c59165b4d9eb3f0c4b4bafbb485a47b0bb574c28.jpg

FloatOn

thanks for this. I had no idea a new Alone in the Dark was in the works.

Seems like it could fall into the hidden gem category. At least I hope.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wow. I can't remeber the last time I read about a game and it made me actively not want to play it.

theRizzle

Man, they really keep trying to bring this IP back. I'll give credit for that I guess. However I think at this point most people's only exposure to Alone In The Dark is that 360/PS3 game, and/or the Uwe Boll x Christian Slater hot collabo film.

Dusk Golem

Not like the originals were THAT good in the first place.

At least I don't remember them being good.

I was actually talking about this earlier when I was researching the game. They were saying maybe the game would be better off if it didn't have the Alone in the Dark name, as by itself it doesn't sound bad (though how it sounds on paper is obviously not the same to how it plays, which is to be seen), But as I brought up to her, I don't really think any of the Alone in the Dark games were particularly great. The first game in the franchise has historical importance, but it was flawed even at the time. Not to say they weren't enjoyable, I actually enjoyed the entries I played (yes, even the 2008 game, which was the b-est, hammiest game I had played, an okay game with problems, too much ambition, but more enjoyable for being so over-the-top and all over the place), but it never struck me as a series with a huge fan base nor one that has really a consistent level of quality or even direction (even the first three games in the series have some pretty big differences).

It's not like the developers are being deceptive with it as a horror game, which I think is the much worse possibility. And I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction, though I would of course as a horror fan appreciate a straight-on horror game, but this doesn't disinterest me, maybe as I have a broader interest in different kinds of horror, and unlike say, something like the RE or SH series, I always felt this was a series trying to get its footing after the first entry in the series.

Also a Left 4 Dead x Alan Wake game with Lovecraft influence doesn't sound bad to me.

Skab

I feel like I'm one of the few people out there that actually liked Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare.

Haunted

The 2008 AitD game might've been garbage, but at least it was still survival horror garbage (with a bit of an action slant and ill-advised action sequences).

This one looks like garbage without any connection to the franchise. A spin-off, like the top down Silent Hill shooter.

gibbing tech straight from the 90s!

artsi

Not the AITD sequel that I was waiting for. I wish for something like The New Nightmare, it wasn't the best but at least it had the proper atmosphere.

Stiler

I don't get it.

The last attempt at a reboot failed horribly, and instead of trying to go back to their roots with more of a focus on evading, exploring and puzzle solving, they instead want to try to shoehorn action into the series?

Have they looked at the market? Survival horror games are doing fairly good now.

Not to mention whereas most of the ones out there focus on either being set in the open (IE woodland/forest area) or an Asylum/factory (Outlast/Amnesia) there really isn't one that is set in a good old fashion "haunted house/mansion" setting that these kinds of games used to be known for.

I'd love to have a new AOTD that focuesd more on the storyline/puzzles and having more of an emphasis on survival rather then action (the original had many enemies that you couldn't harm and were better off running away).

This just looks like another Nosgoth, with little/nothing to do with the old games.

The lack of an AI director really bothers me :(

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/31/7...illumination-co-op-survival-horror-preview-pc

llar cited series like Alan Wake, Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead as inspirations for Illumination, saying that Pure FPS wanted to deliver a more action-heavy experience that retained the Lovecraftian creature and art design that Alone in the Dark is known for. Left 4 Dead, in particular, is an easy point of comparison: Illumination offers four playable characters and pits them against terrifying creatures. It's worth noting, though, that there isn't anything like the AI Director to govern Illumination's enemy behavior.

I too, enjoyed the concept of the 2008 game. Execution is another matter, but jumping a car and jumping out before the jump was kind of awesome as a non QTE-move. Also, the fact that you can just shoot or blow up a locked door instead of having to do completely random things to something every five year would just go around in the real world.

Other features stealthily made their way into other games, where we now start to take them for granted, like skipping checkpoints in Red Dead Redemption.

but I'm seeing waaaaaay too much guns, guns, guns in this concept, as far as this thread goes. The characters sound like a LeftForDead concept too, so... why isn't it a LFD clone...

Well, at least this guy is reminiscent of Cthulhu and such.

I'm usually up for anything Lovecraftian, played the original AITD and Shadow of the Comet back in the day, fell in love with the work, but this doesn't feel right in any way. I wish they'd tried to go small, make a survival adventure without (or very few) firearms, just a good atmosphere and a sick, twisted horror story.

And man, those gibs look ridiculous.

I still think the 2008 reboot is one of the most ambitious and unique games out there, and outside of the unbelievably terrible car chase/city escape a legitimately good game. Shame this seems to have none of the same ambition.

Those gibs tho

ITT: People complain about "actionization" in a franchise where you gun down zombies with a Tommy Gun while wearing a Santa Claus-costume.

Takao

Banned
I'm also Team 2008. It might have been one of the more janky games I played, but there was a lot of ambition behind it.

Dusk Golem

ITT: People complain about "actionization" in a franchise where you gun down zombies with a Tommy Gun while wearing a Santa Claus-costume.

That's what I'm thinking. This is the series that had back in the 'good ole days' cowboy zombies with revolvers and rifles that talk in the silly 'There ain't no room for the two of us' outlaw mannerisms. I'm feeling many people complaining about actioning it up are more talking generally with horor games, because Alone in the Dark had always had over-the-top action and extreme silliness in it. It's not like RE or SH where they had quality titles anf shifted away from what people liked about the games, this is a series that's had a... Very colorful history, who's one claim to fame is the original game was the first 3D horror game and some of its use of adventure game mechanics and fixed camera angles caught on.

That said, I can understand if it disinterestes people. This series is so silly I always get curious when a new entry comes around or is rumored, I guess. If anything, I find the series entertaining, if not extremely questionable at times.

For better or worse, I expect this to be a better game than most entries in the series. I don't know, I have a feeling this game isn't actually going to be abysmal, and could see it being fun. The beta will be interesting; convinced a friend to buy the game to play with me, though made sure to let him know it was an action-horror game with no ideas yet how good or bad the game will be, so to expect anything. I'm interested to see what I think once playing it, I'll definitely leave extremely in-depth impressions here on GAF.

To clarify, I didn't hate the 2008 game. It was janky as hell, but what I will point to anyone who wants a B-horror game. It is okay, some unfun moments and jank everywhere, but it is really ambitious and different, and had some fun moments and good entertainment to it, and is so god damn hammy and over-the-top. Plus it features a scene skip function, which can help with enjoyment a lot.

Dusk Golem

A New Nightmare is the only game in the series that I found even half decent.
New Nightmare is the one that actually tries to be a horror game, and was made by developers who make some flawed rough gems (Cold Fear and I Will Survive, as later examples).

The original game was ambitious and definitely inspirational, historically important, but I think RE did what it tried to do much better. It's not a bad game, but is more novelty now than anything.

The 2008 game is maybe overly ambitious and janky as hell, not really a good game, but I thought it was in the territory of so bad it's good in places, other parts were actually good, and other parts were just bad. The game tried to be too many things and not polish or develop it's ideas the most, and the most memorable thing has ended up being the dialogue.

I found the second and third game to just not really be good.

Yet, I'n intrigued by this game. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but I actually could see this game being fun, depending how some things go. Some people are saying this game is lacking ambition, but I don't know. While the obvious Left 4 Dead, Alan Wake, and Resident Evil influence is here, how they're mixing things together and how certain aspect of the game play out I think could be interesting.

The like, two minor impressions of the people who have played the game behind closed doors at PAX Prime both seem to think it was fun, but nothing mind-blowing, but mentioned the game is an action game with old-school horror tendencies, that came from limited ammo and scarce supplies, some tense scenes of surviving, and the fact some monsters can be like invincible stalkers to you until you shine light on them and can keep them in the light. If the levels are interestingly designed, as they seem to be a big part of this game as lighting and shadows play a big role, levels have randomized features, and apparently dynamic stages is a big part of this game (along with environmental puzzles), mixed with action and survival sequences, I could see it actually being a fun multiplayer experience. It kind of comes down to how its handled, but I could see this actually being on the higher spectrum of Alone in the Dark games, at least.

Jrs3000

that came from limited ammo and scarce supplies, some tense scenes of surviving, and the fact some monsters can be like invincible stalkers to you until you shine light on them and can keep them in the light

That sounds like alan wake for a moment.

Jin

That's what I'm thinking. This is the series that had back in the 'good ole days' cowboy zombies with revolvers and rifles that talk in the silly 'There ain't no room for the two of us' outlaw mannerisms. I'm feeling many people complaining about actioning it up are more talking generally with horor games, because Alone in the Dark had always had over-the-top action and extreme silliness in it. It's not like RE or SH where they had quality titles anf shifted away from what people liked about the games, this is a series that's had a... Very colorful history, who's one claim to fame is the original game was the first 3D horror game and some of its use of adventure game mechanics and fixed camera angles caught on.

That said, I can understand if it disinterestes people. This series is so silly I always get curious when a new entry comes around or is rumored, I guess. If anything, I find the series entertaining, if not extremely questionable at times.

For better or worse, I expect this to be a better game than most entries in the series. I don't know, I have a feeling this game isn't actually going to be abysmal, and could see it being fun. The beta will be interesting; convinced a friend to buy the game to play with me, though made sure to let him know it was an action-horror game with no ideas yet how good or bad the game will be, so to expect anything. I'm interested to see what I think once playing it, I'll definitely leave extremely in-depth impressions here on GAF.

To clarify, I didn't hate the 2008 game. It was janky as hell, but what I will point to anyone who wants a B-horror game. It is okay, some unfun moments and jank everywhere, but it is really ambitious and different, and had some fun moments and good entertainment to it, and is so god damn hammy and over-the-top. Plus it features a scene skip function, which can help with enjoyment a lot.

Both your description of Santa Claus with a Tommy gun and cowboy silliness is likely the reason no one talks about AITD 2 and 3. The game went from survival horror in the first game to killing gangsters and pirates in the second and zombie cowboys in the third. If they want to revive the series start with the first game. The one most people remember and loved.

Alanbro in the Darkwake.

I wanted that cancelled one that was a remake that had it so that it would play like the first game with way better graphics, more content.

-PXG-

Was the 08 game the first horror-ish game that did real time inventory management and you couldn't pause much like is now a thing with the Souls games and others?

Top Bottom