• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [November] Now Voting - Post 241!

What is the most emotional state a game has ever gotten you into?

I dunno for sure, I rarely get invested in an emotional level in games I feel the base emotions like excitement from action games and fear from scary games but anything that asks me to really empathize with the feelings of characters and situations in the game generally I struggle to do mainly due to my lack of ability to see any of the characters as anything else then digital puppets with obvious strings. This post does make me sound like a bit of a psychopath, I'm honestly not (I think anyway).

If I had to name drop anything, I would go with Spec Ops The Line, Depression Quest and the Walking Dead. None of those games really got to me mid play through but I did have long and hard about some of the messages they were trying to convey afterwards.

How bout you?

The Last of Us got me emotionally invested in Joel and Ellie. First game to ever do that. My chest was tight during the last 20 minutes.

This War of Mine actually makes me feel sorry for NPCs and feel bad when I'm sneaking through their places. Stealth and infiltration is so common in games, so it feels new and refreshing when a game makes sneaking feel wrong and weird. You feel like an intuder. You really don't want to steal or hurt people in the game. It's all very grey. Moral choices don't usually affect me in games, but in TWOM, I hesitate and consider every action

daydream

Banned
Never Alone seems to have turned out splendidly. Wish I could check it out but I wanna wait till I can play it on a console.

The resolution on This War of Mine is odd for me. It keeps cutting off the bottom of the screen in fullscreen even when I set it to my native res and in windowed mode it is a square rather then a rectangle of most games. It is perfectly playable windowed but a bit of a shame cos it does somewhat take you out of the game when you can see your desktop around it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I dunno for sure, I rarely get invested in an emotional level in games I feel the base emotions like excitement from action games and fear from scary games but anything that asks me to really empathize with the feelings of characters and situations in the game generally I struggle to do mainly due to my lack of ability to see any of the characters as anything else then digital puppets with obvious strings. This post does make me sound like a bit of a psychopath, I'm honestly not (I think anyway).

If I had to name drop anything, I would go with Spec Ops The Line, Depression Quest and the Walking Dead. None of those games really got to me mid play through but I did have long and hard about some of the messages they were trying to convey afterwards.

How bout you?

First thing that comes to mind for me is Shadow of the Colossus (especially leading up to the ending). The way the game manifested its profound loneliness in the world and game design and what they did with that really stuck its teeth into me and got me a bit teary eyed.

Other than that, I cant remember becoming overly emotional with any games, but there might have been a few. The problem is that usually I cant get sucked into that emotional state if the game still feels too much of a game to me, for example Walking Dead. (which was still great though)

Wozman23

I broke down at the end of Papo & Yo. (TLoU got me a little teary-eyed.) I don't think anything will ever effect me like Papo & Yo. Tears were streaming down my face.

I anticipated the game so much due to its bold, courageous allegory on alcoholism and abuse - thankfully neither of which I relate to. It was just such a charming game with a lot of heart and an enormously cathartic close.

Elliot Quest makes me rage quit so much >.> Good game though, even considering the flaws and bugs it has.

I think I get to emotianly attached to video game characters, form my head.

- Dragon Age: Origins
Noble human start, when you find your father almost dying and your mother says she will stay by his side.
- Bioshock
The good ending, it may be cheesy but I was all emotional
- To the Moon
- Skullgirls
Squigly ending got me emotional and the sinister Eliza ending got me angry

Moobabe

Final Fantasy 7 got me (though I was a kid!)

Recently - The Walking Dead season 1's ending was pretty upsetting (I think I cried for like 10 minutes during those scenes...)
And.. To The Moon - I think I cried twice in that.

SO much is out this month that I want - This War of Mine seems to have turned out WAY better than I'd hoped, Valkyria Chronicles is out, Rise of Nations is on sale, Never Alone looks amazing, A Bird Story is the semi follow up to To The Moon...

And that's not included AAA releases. Damn.

daydream

Banned
Anyone pick up The Blue Flamingo, yet? Seems like a really neat shmup from Might & Delight available at a budget price. The cool thing is that all the models in the game are photographed objects.

I'm definitely gonna pick it up soon, I like the studio a lot. Shelter is really cool and Pid is my favourite game I hate playing, haha.

Wok

I was on the verge to cry with The Walking Dead.

I cried while playing The Sea Will Claim Everything, Once upon a spacetime and Ruins.

I raged with Spelunky.

I laughed with Nidhogg.

Anyone pick up The Blue Flamingo, yet? Seems like a really neat shmup from Might & Delight available at a budget price. The cool thing is that all the models in the game are photographed objects.

I'm definitely gonna pick it up soon, I like the studio a lot. Shelter is really cool and Pid is my favourite game I hate playing, haha.

I've kinda been on the fence about that one. On one hand it does look fairly pretty, but the gameplay I've seen always looks really pedestrian and on a shooter that is a real killer.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was on the verge to cry with The Walking Dead.

I cried while playing The Sea Will Claim Everything, Once upon a spacetime and Ruins.

I raged with Spelunky.

I laughed with Nidhogg.

Man, I really need to play more of The Sea will claim everything. I loved this guys previous games.

arcanadei

FF7 for sure, mix of confusion, sadness, regret. Growing up on RPG's and dungeon crawlers, took a hiatus from gaming for a bit and returned with the launch of the PS1. With limited money and time, I could only afford one game when I bought the console and FF7 was that game. Lost sleep over the next few weeks just trying to get in a little more playtime. The sense of wonder and accomplishment brought me back to childhood as I slaughtered my way through the hordes of blue slimes, daring to slightly expand my range of exploration with each new level and item. I was beyond invested by the time the game defining moment happened. To a much lesser extent, Shelter got me. Much less time spent, much less invested, but that same feeling of 'Oh no that's not right. Reload last save, fix it, fix it, fix it.'

Phawx

Cross posting this from the Steam thread.

My Let's Play of JUJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxa1cWeWqSY

ByfGiLp.jpg

Quick Impressions:

This is one hell of a beautiful platformer. Super vibrant and colorful. It's also a really good platformer game in general. There is a neat idea that I wish more platformers supported, which is to make it easier for a co-op partner to play. I'm going to test this feature out when it's no longer a preview, but I want to see how my four year old (who loves Mario games, but dies frequently from chasms and other baddies) responds to this. Alternatively, coop doesn't need to be easy-mode, it can be changed at will and made difficult for both parties.

Bottom Line: Excellent family friendly platformer that isn't low-rent.

My Let's Play of Rock Zombie (Releasing later today on Steam)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm9i6uMOqnQ

Quick Impressions:

It's an arcade brawler, that's single-player only. Thematically, it's about what you'd expect including B-movies that are so bad it's good. Enemy types vary slightly and they peddle out new enemies as levels go on, but none actually pose much of a problem even on harder difficulties. Level design is varied and feels arcade-y. There is also a driving sequence which was a nice touch to break up the game. The only thing I wish was that there were more boss fights.

Controls are a little wonky because you configure your controller upon booting up the game. So even if you have a 360 controller (which it shows more as an example than defacto) you have to step through each button one by one. Which is great if you have other controllers, the problem is that the game detects analog input. So when you press anywhere in the diagonal range, your run speed turns to a walk speed, which means the first boss who has an OP special ability is hard to run away from.

Bottom Line: A generic (single-player?!) brawler with a generock soundtrack. It's funny without trying to be, which made it enjoyable for me.

My Let's Play of The Blue Flamingo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUS4QXNB1A

Quick Impressions:

Pretty standard as far as Shmups go. I think the biggest highlight the game has is all of the assets are actual models photographed and made stop-motion. It's a neat aesthetic that wears off fairly quickly. It's high-score focused with a twist. The money you earn is directly tied to your score, so spending your money on gear will reduce your score. Having said that, I really didn't feel anything tangible from upgrading my weapons, so I don't really see a point in spending any of your money. This most likely needs to be tweaked and/or patched.

The one huge downfall I see is that there isn't any end-of-level boss and instead you have an accuracy shooting gallery.

Bottom Line: I think the asking price on Steam is in line with what you should expect.

daydream

Banned
Phawx was so kind as to provide me with a key for The Blue Flamingo out of the blue! :D Hopefully I can post some impressions soon. Thanks again, dude!

Phawx

Crossposting from the Steam Thread

UltraWorld is going to release on Steam in two weeks. http://store.steampowered.com/app/331580

My Let's Play of UltraWorld is up. You can find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq2Pt4HBH5I&list=PLdC3pP79J-A9vVBkItqiJkURqd3aUW2Lv

ULTRAWORLD_Logo.jpg

Quick Impression:
The game is billed as a first person explorer, so I was expecting something along the lines of Proteus, but it's actually more to it than that. It kind of feels like if Proteus mashed up with Lost the TV series.

The story of the game is this: There is an artificial intelligence that built a game around itself to attract gamers to enter the world (Which kind of weirded me out because Ultraworld won't release on Steam for another two weeks) and it's asking you to do mundane tasks but then reveals everything it said before was a ruse. Then as you explore there are other AI (that look similar to the main AI) that are trying to hide from the main AI and ask for you to find them in secret.

Bottom Line: it's Mysteryception built on the Crytek engine. Very pretty to look at and intriguing.

Cross posting this from the Steam thread.

My Let's Play of JUJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxa1cWeWqSY

Quick Impressions:

This is one hell of a beautiful platformer. Super vibrant and colorful. It's also a really good platformer game in general. There is a neat idea that I wish more platformers supported, which is to make it easier for a co-op partner to play. I'm going to test this feature out when it's no longer a preview, but I want to see how my four year old (who loves Mario games, but dies frequently from chasms and other baddies) responds to this. Alternatively, coop doesn't need to be easy-mode, it can be changed at will and made difficult for both parties.

Bottom Line: Excellent family friendly platformer that isn't low-rent.

JUJU looks really really good.

FloatOn

So I'm friends with starbound on facebook and they posted the kickstarter video for this game called Pocket Rumble. It's rare that I get this excited for a game but damn, this is the next Skullgirls or Lethal League as far as indie fighters go.

They absolutely nailed the neo geo pocket color style and the way moves are executed sounds very intriguing. It has GGPO for it's multiplayer and a bunch of different modes. But it seems like this is another game to feature crossover characters from other indies. If you watch the kickstarter video you can see candyman from Lethal League, the character from Dust and many others.

Here's the greenlight page so you can check it out and vote for it if it's your thing..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167646774&searchtext=pocket+rumble

Here's the kickstarter page. It's a little less than halfway to being funded with 17 days to go

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...t-rumble-new-2d-fighting-game-for-pc-and-hand

GRAV - Late 2014 (PC)
directlink_B3FYwfKIUAE-m9r.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://bitmonstergames.com/?page_id=1004

In GRAV players will explore massive procedurally generated worlds and have endless adventures in a hostile universe. They will discover planets constructed with a unique variation of oceans, mountains, plains, and canyons.

Blood Will Be Spilled - ????
directlink_B3DWd8kCMAAsQb6.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.bloodwillbespilled.com/

A western-themed 2D action platformer

Mekazoo - ????
directlink_B3E4GaZCEAATHWv.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.goodmoodcreators.com/games.html

Mekazoo is a throwback 2d platformer, with vibrant and full 3d worlds that can be explored and conquered with a kinetically-diverse cast of Mekanimals. Progressivelsy unlock five playable animals through epic Mekanimal boss battles, and traverse insect-infested levels to the tune of the eclectic orignal soundtrack

Snakebird - ????
directlink_B3EzNmjCIAA21Jm.png%3Alarge.png

https://twitter.com/noumenongames

New game from the devs of Nimbus
"A slow paced puzzle game, for and by puzzle game lovers. Very simple, but also very difficult"

Blink - ????
directlink_B3FGflICEAEoWUs.png%3Alarge.png

https://www.facebook.com/BlinkVideoGame

Blink is a 2D puzzle platformer where you "blink" between two connected worlds. One world is like our own, while the other only exists with eyes closed.

Rampage Knights - Free tech demo (PC, Mac)
directlink_B2-1IWfIAAEJT_j.jpg%3Alarge.jpg

http://www.rakeingrass.com/game_rampage_knights.php

Rampage Knights is a cooperative beat 'em up game mixed up with randomized dungeon crawling and exploration, which you can play alone or with a friend online.
You play as a hero trapped by a spell in a magical forest. All paths lead to a nearby ruined castle, where the source of the black magic covering the land is dwelling. Gear up with awesome and ridiculous weapons and spells as you descent into the deep labyrinth to face its sinister master and break the curse.

Previously Mentioned

Twin Souls

Cogmind

The Great Emoticon

Neptune, Have Mercy

Codename Ro.N.I.N. - PC, Mac
directlink_B3CAAHcIUAAFrPK.png%3Alarge.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/codename-ronin

Codename Ronin is a multiplayer based game
Countries and Governments are but a thing of the past. Corporations rule the world now and in order to rule, you need power. On the Corporations hunt for power, Codename Ro.n.i.n. was born, Ro.n.i.n. stands for Robotic Neural Intelligence Nodes. Advancements in the Cybernetic fields have reached to the point where you only need a brain and you can control a Cyborg Shell. Thus the most efficient breed of super soldiers was born.

Blues & Bullets - Xbox One
bb-calle.gif

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44447.0

An episodic investigation game
There are several murder cases and your detective has to see what is happening in Santa Esperanza. The investigation parts are a mix of a lot of things: Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Sherlock Holmes, ...

Ultimate Chicken Horse - ????
Death3.gif

http://www.cleverendeavourgames.com/chickenhorse/

Ultimate Chicken Horse is a 2D platformer game where you build the level as you play. The multiplayer mode involves taking turns placing platforms and hazards to build a level, while the single player mode is a puzzle platform game where you’re given certain types of blocks (platforms, springs, rope swings, etc.) and have to figure out where to place them in order to reach the goal.

Sombero - ????
joneshillcemetary_02.png

http://site.pixelmetal.com/sombrero...ttp://www.mobmadegames.com/descendants/about/

Descendants is a tactical, turn based, 4X strategy game set in a dynamic and persistent universe. In Descendants, you outfit and command a small fleet of ships that you must use to explore, trade, colonize, fight and negotiate your way across the stars in order to amass influence. Unlike other games in the 4X genre you interact with the universe exclusively with your ships. Colonies you place provide you with resources, unlock new equipment or act as locations where you can conduct trade or refit your ships. As you use your ships to explore the map, you will encounter story-driven missions that provide you with unique rewards. The decisions you make about how to play and which missions to complete will have major and long lasting effects on the universe around you.

Previously Mentioned

Warlocks

Spectrum

Mushroom 11

This killing/combat in This War of Mine is brutal. The actual mechanics are kind of clunky, but it just looks and feels brutal. Stealth killing with a knife isn't some fancy Splinter Cell throat slit; you take the guy down and just stab him a few times.

Very tense as well. Was clearing out the church of bandits, took two nights. The first to see how many people were there and get some glimpses inside when one would go in after patrolling. Second night, I got in, fumbled a stealth kill and sent a guy plummeting two stories off a ledge with a shotgun blast. Stabbed the guy that ran upstairs to investigate, and take his partner down with a few shotgun rounds.

And it's definitely going to be near the top of my Best of 2014 list. Maybe even #1? When I spend almost 9 hours on a game in three days, it's doing something right

---

Oh, and if you remember the game Catacomb Kids, the next alpha update will be the public alpha release.

Moobabe

GRAV looks fantastic - it's from the guys who made Lili isn't it?

Impressions!

Color

I hate the spelling and normally this type of game isn't my style. Having said that it controls pretty nicely and I imagine it would become pretty tricky over the course of a full game.

Marvellous Miss Take

I didn't play this - but Pylon did, so I'll quote a bit from his review:

"Wonderstruck have done a terrific job in all areas with The Marvellous Miss Take. It’s the perfect game to bang out a level here or there, and doesn’t fare badly in a binge. If you’re looking for a fast stealth effort that doesn’t have you waiting for the proverbial train to roll by, then you could do far worse than this. One of 2014′s biggest surprises. Don’t let it slip by, unless you work in a gallery."

Also I played hets - which I don't have a whole lot to say about right now, but it's probably the best game I've played in the OP so far.

daydream

Banned
The Blue Flamingo is quite a fun time-waster. The style is gorgeous, the music - like you would expect from MIght & Delight - is pleasantly soothing, and there's the right amount of simplicity to make this an easy pickup for arcade shmup fans. Looking forward to more smaller titles from them (as well as Shelter 2, obviously)!

Marvellous Miss Take

I didn't play this - but Pylon did, so I'll quote a bit from his review:

"Wonderstruck have done a terrific job in all areas with The Marvellous Miss Take. It’s the perfect game to bang out a level here or there, and doesn’t fare badly in a binge. If you’re looking for a fast stealth effort that doesn’t have you waiting for the proverbial train to roll by, then you could do far worse than this. One of 2014′s biggest surprises. Don’t let it slip by, unless you work in a gallery."

Also I played hets - which I don't have a whole lot to say about right now, but it's probably the best game I've played in the OP so far.
Oh nice, didn't know he did a review. And yeah, one of the biggest surprises for me from this year since I only heard about it from EGX which was just a few months ago. Definite GOTY contender for me.

I really need to get around to posting some OP impressions and doing the November retrospective

Anyway, GunWorld is out. It's made by a GAFfer

GunWorld - $4.99
Screen4.jpg

http://www.m07games.com/

GunWorld is a love letter to 8-bit action games! It's a meticulously crafted homage to everything great about classic game design and action heroes of the 1980s!

Saw this on Jayisgames. a really good browser RPG

The Awakening - Free (Browser)
13726.jpg

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/647411

"The title of Rock Lou's ambitious RPG The Awakening is pretty apt, since the game begins with our amnesiac hero jolting awake in alone in a strange forest with one heckuva headache. What are the odds he's got a big destiny, do you think? With a character customization so deep you can choose your level of squint (though bizarrely not your gender) and battle system that adds some twists to the turn-based formula, The Awakening is a huge and ambitious RPG that is sadly still unpredictably buggy"

Toma

Voting November!

RULES THIS MONTH IN SHORT: Up to 10 games, at least 4.

Why?
Because we want to offer people who first step into the thread an easy go-to list for great games. Plus it gives more attention to the titles that really deserve it.

How?
Everyone votes on his top 10 games out of the ones that already have been released AND are mentioned in the OP (So everything in Post 2). I'll tally the results and put the best 5 in the next thread. A minimum voting count of 4 is required. Feel free to vote for games that you deem "important" or the ones that you enjoyed the most. Since this is a rather communicative thread, feel free to include a short description why these games ended up on your list or a "honorable" mention if you feel that one game deserves another mention even though it wont count for your list. That way it would also make it interesting to read which games we should check out that others might have enjoyed. You dont need to "rank" the 10 games. Every list entry gets 1 point for the overall ranking.

When?
This thread is still open until the end of the month, so you can drop your list in here whenever you want. You can also change your list up to the last day. I wont start the count before the last day of the month, so everyone has still time to revise their lists and play some games. Speaking of which, if you dont even KNOW 7 games to vote for, there are plenty free games in the OP to check out. Most of which are rather short too. Use the remaining week to catch up with 1 or 2 titles you didnt get around to yet!

Which?
Since the list got rather long, here is the complete list of games to vote for for this month:

Arktrail - Free (Browser)
Autocraft - $9.99 (PC)
Baezult - Free (PC)
CamoTactics - Free alpha (PC, Mac, Linux)
Chipset-0 - Free (Browser)
COLOR - Free demo (PC, Mac, Linux)
Computer, Open That Door! - Free (PC, Mac, Linux, Browser)
Cubot - $2,99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Environmental Station Alpha - Free demo (PC)
Farg - Free beta (PC)
Final Dusk - $4,99 (PC)
Fluid Perspectives - Free (Browser)
Heart & Slash - $24.99 (PC, Mac)
Here And There Along The Echo - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Hero Keeper - $3,99 (PC)
hets - Free (PC)
Hyper Dance - $1.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Lost in Paradise - $2,99 (on sale for 50% off at $1,50 for 3-4 more days) (PC, Mac, Linux)
Luminoso - $6.49 (PC, Mac)
Majestic Nights - $19.99/$4.99 for Episode 1 (PC, Mac)
Metrocide - $6.99 (PC, Mac)
Nexionode - $6,99 (PC, Mac, iOS, Android)
Nothing Good Can Come Of This - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Pall - $2,99 (PC)
Pixel Heroes - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Pregnancy - $2,99 (PC)
Primitives - Free beta (PC)
Project Tigra - Free demo (PC)
Red Goblin: Cursed Forest - $4,99 (50% off during Alpha for $2,50) (PC)
Return of the Obra Dinn - Free demo (PC, Mac)
Rituals - Free alpha demo (PC, Mac)
Secret of Escape - $3.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
Sector 13 - Free (Browser)
Shiny Gauntlet - Free demo (PC, Mac)
Spectrum - Free (PC)
Spinlot - Free demo (PC, Browser)
Spooky's House of Jump Scares - Free (PC)
Sproggiwood - $14.99 (PC)
Styx: Master of Shadows - $29.99 (PC)
Super Win The Game - $12.99 (PC, Mac, Lin)
SUPERHYPER - $1 (iOS)
The Hive - $18.99 (PC)
The Legend of Light - Free (Browser)
The Memory of Eldurim - $20 (PC)
Totem's Sound - Free (PC, Mac)
Traumerin - $4,99 (PC)
Tribal & Error - Free demo (PC)
UnReal World - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
Zero G Golf - €2.00 (PC)

Toma

Going to play some games tonight, if anyone has a game he wants some impressions (and is not overly expensive) on let me know and I'll make time to try it.

For the indie GOTY thread, I forgot, can we include mobile games? We thinking about the games I've played this year and 80 Days, Monument Valley, and Framed are ones I'd definitely want to include.

Unless something really incredible comes out between now and end of the year, my GOTY is probably going to be This War of Mine. It does so much right and it's so effective and tense.

Toma

For the IOS GOTY thread, I forgot, can we include mobile games? We thinking about the games I've played this year and 80 Days, Monument Valley, and Framed are ones I'd definitely want to include.

Isnt the ios thread doing something similar itself? We could have an extra category for noteworthy mobile games, lets say 50 PC indies like last year, plus 10 mobile or something. But it would probably be more informative if we split up the voting to PC indies and mobile indies and make two full fledged 50 entry threads if we can stomach the work load. From what I read in your impressions, mobile wouldnt have a big issue gathering a list of 50 great entries, and it would be sort of a disservice to bury it as an afterthought.

Amir0x

Banned
Blues and Bullets looks interesting, gonna add that to the list of XBO indies I need to try

so much in this thread I gotta give a whirl, overwhelming lol

Isnt the ios thread doing something similar itself? We could have an extra category for noteworthy mobile games, lets say 50 PC indies like last year, plus 10 mobile or something. But it would probably be more informative if we split up the voting to PC indies and mobile indies and make two full fledged 50 entry threads if we can stomach the work load. From what I read in your impressions, mobile wouldnt have a big issue gathering a list of 50 great entries, and it would be sort of a disservice to bury it as an afterthought.
Nah, IOS doesn't get its own voting/GOTY thread. At least not in the past. Not sure if it'll be different this year. Mobile games tend to be met with distain or indifference outside of the IOS threads

But no problem. I played enough PC games anyway.

Toma

Nah, IOS doesn't get its own voting/GOTY thread. At least not in the past. Not sure if it'll be different this year. Mobile games tend to be met with distain or indifference outside of the IOS threads

But no problem. I played enough PC games anyway.

Well if there is NO thread, I'd even prefer adding games to the PC voting thread. I just wouldnt want to steal the thunder of any potential ios goty thread. We can include a top 10, same rules as for the PC indies, no problem.

Toma

OP impressions!

Arktrail

A simple FTL basically, well done for a Ludum Dare game, but not deep or unique enough to play it more.

Autocraft
I played the Alpha of this, and while most of these games arent bad, they also lack any kind of actual content. The sandbox nature is a neat change of pace from more traditional experience, but I am pretty sure I could find 10 of these games released in the past year without any actual meat to them, which is a tad annoying at this point. Anyway, good for what it does, but I want more.

Baezult
Very good puzzle jump&run. Gets quite challenging eventually and some rooms are bit less inventive, but overall I am really impressed by the level design of the individual challenges. Some of those are quite smart with additional secret objectives that will take a few tries to figure out. Retro game design, minimalistic look and sound, tight controls and just the right amount of challenge and evocative level secrets to keep me hooked. Probably not ending on my GOTY list, but very enjoyable.

Chipset-0
Kind of a cute concept, but bogged down a lot by boring level design. You are maneuvering a tank, connecting power cables to electric gadgets. The game progress is spiced up a bit through enemies, but the movement feels a tad cumbersome and despite not being "bad", I cant find it much fun.

Simple concept, but quite fun. Move the on screen snake through colors to create a certain color mix for each level. The level layout and several obstacles make this harder and harder with each level, all the while retaining an entertaining playfulness and easyness to every mechanic. Very lighthearted and enjoyable.

Computer, open that door!
Cute concept. AI human-murder fantasy with a few cute ideas. Unfortunately, it really is just that, a cute concept of a game idea since there isnt really much difference in the actions you can take or any kind of interesting emergent gameplay. You might have played a similar game to this already before, which makes the novelty wear very thin. (The game worked for me with the in-browser version, even though the dl links are broken)

Environmental Station Alpha
Very interesting and challenging Metroidvania. No full version yet, but the demo is VERY promising, with a good amount of variety in enemy combat, metroidvania style upgrades, multiple paths and a great athmosphere. Definitely something to check out this month.

Fluid Perspectives

Another platforming puzzle game, with a coherent theme/gameplay mechanic combination, which is quite neat to think about. Unfortunately, the game overuses almost all introduced concepts, which makes the game feel a tad tedious to play. The repeating sound loop certainly isnt helping either, but its still a decent game to play.

Here and there along the echo

Kentucky Route Zero Interlude, even more minimalistic than the main episodes and other interludes already are, with a single telephone being your only interaction. A single telephone number even, which opens up a small, basically intereractive story in which you learn about a monument about something we forgot, or what to do if you have a snake on your arm. I can easily see some of those messages being referred back to in the next episode and its quite pleasant to listen to, even if its not a pure game per se. Interesting in any case and gives you a good impression of what to expect of the KRZ episodes stylistically and in tone.

hets
After starting to play this, I was a bit surprised at first that Moobabe seemed to like it. Simple controls and graphics, repetive level design, nauseating camera movements. But then on my...3rd or 4th try (and after deactivating the camera shaking) it suddenly clicked. Its an action roguelike with an upgrade you can choose after completing every level. Upgrading your character with more abilities and power is surprisingly rewarding and carried me through a few rounds of this game. It doesnt have quite the staying power and sheer number of possibilities that Binding of Isaac has, but its a decent sidescrolling action take on the idea. Probably among the best this month indeed.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
Environmental Station Alpha
hets

>----------< Recommended >----------<
Baezult
Here and there along the echo
Color

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<
Autocraft
Computer, open that door!
Arktrail
Fluid Perspectives
Chipset-0

>----------< Bleh >----------<

Toma, mind if I copy the Indie Community Voting format you used last year for the Mobile GOTY thread? I talked to the mods and they said it would be okay, so I'll be working on that

Toma

Toma, mind if I copy the Indie Community Voting format you used last year for the Mobile GOTY thread? I talked to the mods and they said it would be okay, so I'll be working on that

Sure, go ahead. As I said, it would probably be a better fit to give it its own spotlight. Looking forward to the mobile GOTY thread, since I probably missed quite a few highlights there :)

Top Bottom