• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Feebastic

Don't really care much about this game just yet, waiting for more info about it, but I had to congratulate OP on the fantastic thread subtitle. Work of art.

My hype for this game was brutally bashed over the course of 5 months.

I'm going in expecting nothing, similar to how I went into revelations.

Kinda fitting both games were directed by Amancio. Nothing against the guy, he seems like a nice man.... but the AC games he has directed seem to have far to many problems going into them.

See, Amancio is actually why I'm super excited for this entry. I absolutely loved what he did with Revelations. It ties the original game for my favorite in the series. Shame Lacoste isn't the actual art director this time around too. **Yeah, I know he is head art director of the entire series now, but it's not the same as him taking control over a single game's palette.

fernoca

Game's preloading. Playable part (7GB) along the patch and preorder bonuses are set. With my slowass connection, by the time I get back from work after 2AM Tuesday game should be fully downloaded.

EDIT:
Just remembered that I'm free this Tuesday!! :eek:!!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15J5se6ZZ5o
This perhaps, but it's already more than a week old. So it could be an early Version and is definitely unpatched. You can see large crowds, fighting, climbing, running.

IGN live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwuza-VU_0c

They only explore the first areas of the game (l'île de la cité where you can find Notre-Dame) and their NDA forces them not to reveal too many things. They do combat, free running, side quests and character customization.

Not the best I've seen but it gives you an idea.
Thank you both.

Yes_yes_yes.gif

Thank you. The British voices are so distracting.

sasliquid

Man I'm so undecided on this game. I'm getting AC2 vibes but thats how I felt about 3, I really like half the series and am meh on the other half but I haven't missed one. I'll be playing on ps4 since I don't think my laptop will handle it well but I'll wait for reviews and GAF impressions

So how does tonight's release work? Is it only for 'bone preorders?

Curious if I'd be able to play this tonight if I haven't bought/preordered yet. I could theoretically get it on PS4, Bone, or PC I guess.

I both want and do not want this game at the same time.

I want it because I love Assassin's Creed.
It looks like they've really changed and fixed things this time (tailing and crouch!).

But at the same time I'd rather play Rogue first in-case Unity's improved gameplay spoils me, and I don't want to play Rogue on last-gen consoles.
As well Ubisoft has been really shitty as of late, the inexcusable misogyny for starters.

I might have to end up waiting a couple of months and buying it used that way I can still enjoy Assassin's Creed without giving Ubisoft any of my money.

VanWinkle

I have never been interested in the AC series. However, Shadow of Mordor got me more open to the idea of this type of game, and I'm sort of interested now. My brother is offering to sell me his AC4 and AC Unity codes on XB1 (not my platform of choice but that's okay) for $40. It's a good deal definitely, but I just don't know. I've had the little paper with the codes on it that he put on my desk for days now enticing me, and haven't paid him or redeemed them yet because I just haven't decided whether I should. I'm afraid the game is going to be bad. We haven't exactly heard great things so far from people. On the AC4 front I'm not really interested in ship combat so I don't know if I'll even play that.

I just wish we knew that the game would be good. It seems like we haven't heard any overtly positive impressions at all yet, and release day review embargoes aren't really a sign of confidence.

Wollveren

Banned
Don't know if I should play this in French (with subs) or English :S They both sound great, the French is nice, fresh, different and I may learn a bit, but could get annoying. English is well, English.

Messiek

But at the same time I'd rather play Rogue first in-case Unity's improved gameplay spoils me, and I don't want to play Rogue on last-gen consoles.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I'll only play rogue on pc or *plz ubi* on my ps4.

Don't know if I should play this in French (with subs) or English :S They both sound great, the French is nice, fresh, different and I may learn a bit, but could get annoying. English is well, English.
That's how I feel as well so I'll be sticking to English audio as usual. I like it when they transition between English and French but I don't think I'll be able to go through the entire game just constantly reading subs.

FLiP2345

Banned
So my assassins creed preload was at 62%, then my Xbox froze and I pulled the plug and restarted it. When it booted up, the download was finished. Idk if I should reinstall in or just let it rock

Messiek

I really want to play this in French, to feel the game "the right way" lol .
I'll probably play it in English. haha

DukeBobby

I got this for free with my GTX 970 (I picked this instead of Far Cry 4 or The Crew).

I'm not really a fan of the series, but it's a good way to test out the new card.

And hey, it might even surprise me.

Lebron

Really wish this was as open as AC4 was. I got lost in that game just sailing around, exploring.

Will pick this up sometime this week still. Need something to play.

Tagg9

Eh, I personally hate the French language. No offence to any francophones out there.

I'm actually glad Ubisoft got British voice actors for this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Game's preloading. Playable part (7GB) along the patch and preorder bonuses are set. With my slowass connection, by the time I get back from work after 2AM Tuesday game should be fully downloaded.

EDIT:
Just remembered that I'm free this Tuesday!! :eek:!!
Lucky. I get to spend six straight hours Storyboarding and then at least three lip syncing before I can sit down and play it fully. >.>

Eh, I personally hate the French language. No offence to any francophones out there.

I'm actually glad Ubisoft got British voice actors for this.
Majority of actors are French Canadian actually.

Yoday

yea, stores are having a universal release on the 10th for west coast. I thought that poster was saying it was being released tonight, as in November 9th.
I really wish they would change the unlock time on PSN to match up with this. If they are allowing retailers to sell it at 9PM PST, then why the hell wouldn't they change the time on PSN? Either way, it is downloading as we speak, and that makes me incredibly happy.

On a separate note, I played through the final part of ACIV again last night. I had forgotten how exceptionally well done that ending is.

Kevyt

I totally forgot about this game! Can't wait to try this out on a 290, 270 and 970!! and my gaming laptop too!

Yoday

Lucky. I get to spend six straight hours Storyboarding and then at least three lip syncing before I can sit down and play it fully. >.>

Majority of actors are French Canadian actually.
I noticed this in their characters trailer. They hired French speaking actors to play French characters with a British accent. WTF...

Vire

I really wish they would change the unlock time on PSN to match up with this. If they are allowing retailers to sell it at 9PM PST, then why the hell wouldn't they change the time on PSN? Either way, it is downloading as we speak, and that makes me incredibly happy.

On a separate note, I played through the final part of ACIV again last night. I had forgotten how exceptionally well done that ending is.
Probably due to some back door marketing deal. Pretty annoying since I have tomorrow off.

Vire

Hopefully they've made them replayable enough.

Blacklist coop missions were kinda one and done unless you were speed running.
From what I heard, they randomize loot and guard locations, so that's something at least.

I'm a few hours in (PS4).

The game looks pretty good, I notice the 900p, not initially but the more you play you can sense its not as sharp as other games that are full HD but its still a good looking game. Better than Black Flags at 1080p. Crowd pop in is pretty distracting though. IQ is good indoors and on objects relatively close but buildings in the semi/far distance have shimmering and aliasing issues.

The parkour is much better this time around, dare I say Arno is more Drake like which is a good thing. It still feels like Ass Creed but they've reduced the unintentional climbing quite a bit and quick descending is a godsend. I just like the movement in the game and its already more enjoyable than past Ass Creeds because of this. The animations are more lifelike it feels like there are simply a lot more contextual animations. Arno does hover when using L2 + X but its excusable because it makes the game control better.

I also love running into peoples homes when available instead of climbing all the way to the top of a building, cutting right through makes things more organic and less of a drag.

Performance wise, the game is pretty stable 30fps a good majority of the time but it will drop in certain instances. No screen tearing whatsoever and the Synchronizations are smooth despite the incredible draw distance. With that said, there is a specific mission in Sainte Chapelle where the game is Skyrim bad, as if there is a memory dump or something. Single digits and near freezing bad. This happened in another mission briefly, indoors as well. I noticed a glitch where it showed my character still outside on top of a building (transitioning from a cutscene to gameplay) and that might be why the framerate tanks at times. Seems a bit buggy.

Anyway I've only played a few missions so far, the stealth is better and the story is better told than usual, Arno is a cool cat and quite likable. The murder Mystery missions, well the one I did anyway is a cool addition. You have to gather clues, the more you gather the better chance of accusing the right person but you are free to accuse the wrong person at any time. If you get it right on the first go you get better gear.

As mentioned I'm only a few hours in but after dreading the game based on it being Ubisoft, its pretty fun so far.

Vire

The game looks pretty good, I notice the 900p, not initially but the more you play you can sense its not as sharp as other games that are full HD but its still a good looking game. Better than Black Flags at 1080p. Crowd pop in is pretty distracting though. IQ is good indoors and on objects relatively close but buildings in the semi/far distance have shimmering and aliasing issues.

The parkour is much better this time around, dare I say Arno is more Drake like which is a good thing. It still feels like Ass Creed but they've reduced the unintentional climbing quite a bit and quick descending is a godsend. I just like the movement in the game and its already more enjoyable than past Ass Creeds because of this. The animations are more lifelike it feels like there are simply a lot more contextual animations. Arno does hover when using L2 + X but its excusable because it makes the game control better.

I also love running into peoples homes when available instead of climbing all the way to the top of a building, cutting right through makes things more organic and less of a drag.

Performance wise, the game is pretty stable 30fps a good majority of the time but it will drop in certain instances. No screen tearing whatsoever and the Synchronizations are smooth despite the incredible draw distance. With that said, there is a specific mission in Sainte Chapelle where the game is Skyrim bad, as if there is a memory dump or something. Single digits and near freezing bad. This happened in another mission briefly, indoors as well. I noticed a glitch where it showed my character still outside on top of a building (transitioning from a cutscene to gameplay) and that might be why the framerate tanks at times. Seems a bit buggy.

Anyway I've only played a few missions so far, the stealth is better and the story is better told than usual, Arno is a cool cat and quite likable. The murder Mystery missions, well the one I did anyway is a cool addition. You have to gather clues, the more you gather the better chance of accusing the right person but you are free to accuse the wrong person at any time. If you get it right on the first go you get better gear.

As mentioned I'm only a few hours in but after dreading the game based on it being Ubisoft, its pretty fun so far.
Thanks for the impressions. This is of course with the 1.01 patch installed already right?

Thanks for the impressions mate. I am still mildly interested. How would you compare it to say Infamous visually?

Thanks for the impressions. This is of course with the 1.01 patch installed already right?

Yeah, ~900 mb patch. Never tried before the patch.

Thanks for the impressions mate. I am still mildly interested. How would you compare it to say Infamous visually?

Well...Infamous has much better IQ, virtually no pop in compared to this but I'd say this game is more ambitious and Infamous can't match its sheer amount of assets and detail. Hard to say, Infamous is probably the better looking game overall and also runs a lot better.

I'll post some screens soon if thats allowed.

DrBo42

Yeah, ~900 mb patch. Never tried before the patch.

Well...Infamous has much better IQ, virtually no pop in compared to this but I'd say this game is more ambitious and Infamous can't match its sheer amount of assets and detail. Hard to say, Infamous is probably the better looking game overall and also runs a lot better.

I'll post some screens soon if thats allowed.

Of course. If you're on a main story mission though, make sure your objective text isn't on. (You should be taking screens with HUD off anyway)

Top Bottom