• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here wishes Tenchu was back for this gen?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Replaying Tenchu 1 today. Last time I played was the original Japanese version and I'm seeing a lot of similarities between Thief/Thief Gold and Tenchu/Tenchu Shinobi Gaisen. Besides the fact that they both came out in 1998 and had an expanded rerelease in 1999, the actual additions and improvements are very similar.

Both games start with 2-3 pretty straightforward stealth missions, then quickly take a turn for more supernatural/story-focused stuff. Both re-releases added a handful of unrelated non-supernatual missions mid-game to pad them out a bit and had a number of visual/mechanical improvements and alterations to existing levels. Both also included a level editor.

I just thought it was interesting and it stood out to me since I've been playing all of them again recently.

ShinMaruku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txTWc4PH21s

No Fatal Shadows love, TenchuGAF? I can't be the only one. Was it because of lack of playable Rikimaru? Was it really as bad a sequel as those reviewers said it was way back when? Anyway, I enjoyed the fuck out of it.

Gotta love those inter-level breaks.

'Evil will perish with a flash of crimson.'

Talk about a series that could do with an HD collection... or ported to PC, maybe?

At minimum I'd be fine with a HD collection of 3 Kurenai and 4.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_mbhsx2bxMQ1ror6v2.gif

Loved Tenchu 1 and 2. I didn't really like any of the other Tenchu games.

Tenchu 2 being my favorite. They really improved enemy AI compared to the first Tenchu. Tenchu 1 had horrific AI with guards getting stuck in walls all the time. Tenchu 2 also has far better voice acting, writing and story. Tatsumaru's story was incredibly well done. The bosses you faced were also far more fleshed out and memorable. The levels were far more open compred to newer Tenchu games, you could tackle the missions in so many different ways, even swimming under water and attacking enemies from underneath. It also had a great mission and level editor.

Tenchu 2 also had an incredible soundtrack as well, some great examples:

Opening song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nwafoKFK8

Battle music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DSWHUjQio

Special boss battle music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfD4NwIbxE

Suzaku theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTSHvtMXdw

Credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gg-3DdV-s

Chibot

I'd love to see a new game similar to 1/2/WoH. It's still one of my favorite series, but is long overdue for a good entry. I might even accept a remake of 1/2 at this point. It has been so long without a real Tenchu game.

I'd love to see a new game similar to 1/2/WoH. It's still one of my favorite series, but is long overdue for a good entry. I might even accept a remake of 1/2 at this point. It has been so long without a real Tenchu game.

Yes, the first few were the best. I just loved how open the very first level in the first Tenchu was, with so many different ways to approach it. Would love to see it remade in the spirit of the originals.

Best stealth game conceived. I love the tone, lore, music (oh, lord the fucking music - best mission success ost ever) and the gameplay. God there is so much depth, difficulty and challenge that it is essentially the Deus Ex/Thief of Japan (without the RPG-story elements), the oppressive atmosphere of Demon's Souls, the sublime music of Silent Hill and the punishing gameplay of... well, there is no fucking equivalent.

I've never had a game that properly uses simulated collisions and combat in an open-sandbox till this day. Similar games fall under the "either/or" category complimenting one playstyle. Here, the combat has as much depth as the stealth aspect itself, and can be simultaneously complimented in combat as long as you're not targeting the "Grand Master" ranking. Never did I feel a sword slice that has that "oomph" feeling when you break the enemy's guard. Uggh.. not even Demon's souls had this tight feeling! And the closest I ever got was Monster Hunter! What's more insane is that IT'S A FUCKING PS1 GAME! What the hell are these developers doing with next-gen technology?

Absolutely, Tenchu should have a place at the table when it comes to relevant modern day series. We lost something, something very important when a franchise like Tenchu became irrelevant.

Plus, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins is my pick for best stealth game of last-gen (prove me wrong, you can't, not in this thread). Never following that up is a flipping tragedy.

The one thing I remember most from Tenchu is the emperor(?) trying to coerce some poor young woman to having some form of relations with him. "Come on! Come oooon!"

Soodanim

Gold Member

No Fatal Shadows love, TenchuGAF? I can't be the only one. Was it because of lack of playable Rikimaru? Was it really as bad a sequel as those reviewers said it was way back when? Anyway, I enjoyed the fuck out of it.

Gotta love those inter-level breaks.

'Evil will perish with a flash of crimson.'

^ (maybe spoiler-ish)

Talk about a series that could do with an HD collection... or ported to PC, maybe?
Finally! About 100 posts in, reading the thread became about whether someone would mention Fatal Shadows or not. I just built a PC and ripped Tenchu 3 and 4, so I'll be replaying them both soon.

I didn't think Fatal Shadows was as good as Wrath of Heaven, but I still got enjoyment from it when I learned the changes and abilities. There were some fun moves, if I remember rightly. I also remember not enjoying the last boss though. Rin seemed like an attempt at another Tatsumaru with the largely unarmed combat, but it didn't quite have the same effect.

I'll forever hope for a remake of any of them, however unlikely. At least I have emulated PS2 games to fall back on. I never owned 1 and 2, only rented. I remember playing around with the debug in 1 (that took ages to input) and navigating what I think was a Japanese only menu. There was what I remember being a sun item that was like a grapple hook but instantly teleport you instead. That was fun.

Edit: Shinobido. What the fuck. I bought the PSP one after hearing that it was Tenchu dev-made and it was a shambles. Level design was just random pillars of ground sticking out from bottomless pits, and I don't remember there being more than the most minimal possible story that still counts as one. Actually no, it doesn't count. It was just levels.

I'll track down a PS2 one if it's any better, but then again anything is better than that piece of shit.

jimi_dini

I personally couldn't get into the weird controls. Loved the PS2 Tenchus, that's why I bought the Wii one, but I never played more than a few missions. And I tried several times to play it again.

Foffy

Banned
Loved Tenchu 1 and 2. I didn't really like any of the other Tenchu games.

Tenchu 2 being my favorite. They really improved enemy AI compared to the first Tenchu. Tenchu 1 had horrific AI with guards getting stuck in walls all the time. Tenchu 2 also has far better voice acting, writing and story. Tatsumaru's story was incredibly well done. The bosses you faced were also far more fleshed out and memorable. The levels were far more open compred to newer Tenchu games, you could tackle the missions in so many different ways, even swimming under water and attacking enemies from underneath. It also had a great mission and level editor.

Tenchu 2 also had an incredible soundtrack as well, some great examples:

Opening song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nwafoKFK8

Battle music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0DSWHUjQio

Special boss battle music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfD4NwIbxE

Suzaku theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTSHvtMXdw

Credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5gg-3DdV-s

Tenchu in general has some amazing fucking music. Really loved the music in Shadow Assassins, too.

I really do hope with the fact the series has had something happen in 2014 - a play based on the series exists in Japan - that something of the franchise is considered this generation. But as I said in an earlier post, the developers who have worked on this series are in positions to not work on any future game, so where can it go? From seems to be busy running on the Souls formula, and outside of that they have Armored Core.

Do they have the team and the means to make a stealth game?

Does anyone know if you can play the Wii Tenchu on the Wii U?

I have had a quick Google and cannot find anything, but am at work so cannot check properly just now.

If I can play this on the Wii U my week just got made!

jimi_dini

Does anyone know if you can play the Wii Tenchu on the Wii U?

I have had a quick Google and cannot find anything, but am at work so cannot check properly just now.

Of course you can. The Wii U is 100% backward compatible with the Wii. Which means every single game (physical + digital) works. As it should be.

Of course you can. The Wii U is 100% backward compatible with the Wii. Which means every single game (physical + digital) works. As it should be.

Thanks. Great news. I have only just got a Wii U so I am still relatively new to it. I knew there was some form of BC with Wii U, just wasn't sure it was the shitty kind that only work with a few games a la Xbox. Just one more stupid question can I use the gamepad or pro controller with Wii games or do I need a nunchuck?

Dargor

I sure do, I played Tenchu 2 alot, best ninja game imho. The stealth kills would look insane in ps4/pc/xone and hopelly not as buggy, it was always a sad moment when a kill would fail cuz of irregular terrain or a rock, etc.

The ps2 games I only got to play Wrath of Heaven, I didn't like it as much as I did Tenchu 2, but it was still a good game, just thought it was a little slow.

There aren't many games that I want to return, but Tenchu is one of them, only behind Legend of Dragoon.

I'm okay with HD remaster or even remake version of Tenchu. I played it on PS1 and while I find it a little too difficult for my taste, it has a certain charm that stick with me to this day.

jimi_dini

Thanks. Great news. I have only just got a Wii U so I am still relatively new to it. I knew there was some form of BC with Wii U, just wasn't sure it was the shitty kind that only work with a few games a la Xbox. Just one more stupid question can I use the gamepad or pro controller with Wii games or do I need a nunchuck?

The Wii backward compatibility part of Wii U doesn't know anything about Wii U controllers. Wii games show up on the gamepad, but you can not use the Wii U Pro Controller nor the gamepad controller itself. You have to use Classic Controller + Wiimote and such.

You can however play Gamecube games on Wii U using the Wii U Pro Controller. You need to use homebrew for that and you also need to rip the games on an actual Wii console, because the disc drive of Wii U doesn't support the small Gamecube discs.

And btw. the backward compatibility is 100%. It's nothing half-assed as the 360 one. You can buy any game you like and it will play the same as on a Wii. It may even look a bit better because of HDMI.

Forkball

Yes please. Or failing this, an open world ninja game. I don't care how historically accurate it is, just give me a city and let me be a ninja. Don't even say "but Assassin's Creed!" I'm a fan of that series, but that's not what I want.

Angelcurio

I really love Tenchu as a franchise, Tenchu 2 felt like Metal Gear Solid with a ninja as a main character, and with excellent music in all the games of the series. Tenchu 2 had the best storytelling of the franchise since it was one single cohesive story, and depending of the character used, you would see what he/she did in the whole plot. Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven was also really good, but in terms of story telling, i didn't like that contrary to Tenchu 2, the events of the game were simply done by the main character you chose, instead of each one of them doing individual things in the whole story.

I would really like to see some king of remake of the first games, since the last ones (like Kurenai) went for simpler level design with linear levels, contrary to the first games that were like open stages that could be completed using different methods. A game done using the FOX engine, with a Ground Zeroes like setting and graphics would be godly.

The Wii backward compatibility part of Wii U doesn't know anything about Wii U controllers. Wii games show up on the gamepad, but you can not use the Wii U Pro Controller nor the gamepad controller itself. You have to use Classic Controller + Wiimote and such.

You can however play Gamecube games on Wii U using the Wii U Pro Controller. You need to use homebrew for that and you also need to rip the games on an actual Wii console, because the disc drive of Wii U doesn't support the small Gamecube discs.

And btw. the backward compatibility is 100%. It's nothing half-assed as the 360 one. You can buy any game you like and it will play the same as on a Wii. It may even look a bit better because of HDMI.

Thanks again. Best look into getting a Wii pad quick. Plus maybe a little perusal of Wii greats that I missed out on ;-)

GeekyDad

Always been my favorite stealth series. I know the enemies can be mindless, but it was a great guilty pleasure to play Tenchu. Love the settings, the music, the rooftops.

ShinMaruku

We should direct a campaign to him. I think when From's latest game comes out we bug him. Show how much fun we get from these gems.

Top Bottom