• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Boom: Review thread

Both games are starting to get reviews now so I think its time for a review thread. I'll update this as more reviews gradually come out over the next few days.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric reviews (Wii U)

Game Informer - 4.0
I was initially excited when Sega first announced that Big Red Button would be developing Sonic Boom. I thought Sega handing the iconic license over to a new developer might shake Sonic loose of the slump he's endured via a string of rough Sonic Team titles. Unfortunately for fans and the Hedgehog himself, Sonic Boom is a blemished bore.

IGN - 4.3
Generic and unpolished, Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric falls well below our already-low expectations.

Gamespot - 2/10
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is a failure at some basic levels of gaming. While it's understandable that a franchise may want to move beyond the simple elegance of its origins, a muddled web of poorly connected and even more poorly executed systems is not the answer.

Destructoid - 5/10
The game could have used a few more months in the hopper and taken many more risks.

The Jimquisition - 2/10
One thing I’m sure of is that Sega ought to be embarrassed for pouring so much hype, so much marketing money, into this project, only to have a sad, miserable little dog’s dinner of a product to show for it. I guess it doesn’t matter, though. It’s an idiotic baby’s game for children, and it exists to sell toys. It also thinks you’re all dumb, and it wears its contempt for you on its sleeve. A sleeve covered in bandages.

Slant Magazine - 2/5
The undercooked Rise of Lyric does away with just about everything that makes a great Sonic game, favoring tedious, uninspired combat, exploration, and puzzle-solving over exhilarating bursts of speed coupled with well-designed platforming passages.

Hardcore Gamer - 2.5/5
It’s admirable that Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric tries so many new things, but every path it follows is a dead end.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal reviews (3DS)

IGN - 4.0
With a heaping helping of poorly written and unskippable cutscenes, Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal is a slog that never finds its footing.

Slant Magazine - 2/5
The sorry "story" segments largely amount to random combinations of the four main characters trading bad jokes, such as running the difference between "who" and "whom" into the ground.

Destructoid - 2.5
There's almost nothing redeeming about it...The biggest problem with Shattered Crystal is the sluggish pace.

LevelUp - 3.8
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal ends up being a product that fails on the most basic design elements, perhaps due to lack of time, money or just love for the franchise. Its pursuit of innovation in gameplay mechanics is commendable, but everything turns into a disaster by notorious negligence on the development side.

iby4PGitibQzFH.png

WatchfulDaringFlatcoatretriever.gif

m6RQOV.gif

bounchfx

how does this keep happening

can sega give Sonic to Nintendo to make?

yeah i said it. I'd fucking love a sonic on par with Galaxy or 3D World in quality.

Honestly will still get when it's 20 or under. I like 3D platformers a lot and they've all but gone. Also I've always liked the team of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy since Sonic Adventure. So I'm glad to see them playable again.

I'm mean I just started playing Sonic Adventure HD last night ( 1.99 with PS Plus). And while I love the story scope it still plays horribly and I've fallen through the floor as well. Not saying Sonic Boom isn't worse but I can deal with a lot for some 3D adventure.

I really thought this would turn out to be a good game because of the developer.

Maybe not a good Sonic game but a good game nonetheless.

I don't know if it was rushed or they just phoned it in or they are shitty but while it was trendy to dump on the game at any chance available, I guess the gamers weren't off on this one.

OnPoint

I'd say there was no way to see this coming, but...

There was the whole reveal. And all the footage. And everything leading up to release.

Not at all surprised.

Doesn't the OT have a review section in it?

How did they get screwed?

I'd imagine it's because they paid money (likely a lot of it) for a 3 game exclusivity deal and got
1. A game that would have been made anyway (Sochi 2014)
2. Lost World which wasn't a /BAD/ game from my understanding but it was underwhelming as a Sonic The Hedgehog game compared to Colors and Generations
3. Doesn't even need to be said.

Astral Dog

We already know how is the game. But the story is the culmination of modern Sonic to me,After Sonic Colors, bad jokes, stupid fourth breaking wall nonsense, annoying characters,overall uninspired and very simple.

Cant believe im saying this, but I miss the Adventure style.

Why does every review site act like the past 4 years of Sonic games never happened?

Honestly, a lot of gaf spews the same shit too. Apparently Sonic Colors, Sonic All Star Racing, and SASR: Transformed, and Generations were all shit and Sega should just kill the franchise already.

so basically another sonic game

Sonic is perhaps the most disappointing videogame franchise in existence. Gosh, I loved the Sonic games on the Genesis so much that I still get excited when they announce a new game. I really do wonder if its time for the franchise to call it quits.

without fail, every single time.

RibMan

"Bored Of The Rings"

Kp8Cl8s.gif

Sonic is perhaps the most disappointing videogame franchise in existence. Gosh, I loved the Sonic games on the Genesis so much that I still get excited when they announce a new game. I really do wonder if its time for the franchise to call it quits.

Doesn't the OT have a review section in it?

I'd imagine it's because they paid money (likely a lot of it) for a 3 game exclusivity deal and got
1. A game that would have been made anyway (Sochi 2014)
2. Lost World which wasn't a /BAD/ game from my understanding but it was underwhelming as a Sonic The Hedgehog game compared to Colors and Generations
3. Doesn't even need to be said.
Whoa. Didn't realize the exclusivity deal covered all those games. For some reason, I understood the Boom games as separate and thought Lost World was the third. Didn't realize Sochi was involved. Geez.

Top Bottom