• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p footage of FFXV tech demo

Vitten

Graphics look good. Now if only we'd get an FF with characters that don't look like Japanese versions of Justin Bieber I'd be happy.

The scale of this game is just... wow

Just finished watching both vids on my TV. The size of the environment and those giant dinosaur-like monsters was really is a bit enchanting.

And the naga looks so threatening.

jb1234

Sweet jesus, that music track was relentless. I was already cracking up by the fifth loop and then it kept going and going and going...

(Game looks pretty, though.)

Famassu

Sweet jesus, that music track was relentless. I was already cracking up by the fifth loop and then it kept going and going and going...

(Game looks pretty, though.)
1) IIRC, it's been said that that is NOT the field music (for this area), just something that they are using for now. It sounds so dramatic that it might be some music for a specific event or certain type of dramatic moment/combat scenes, not necessarily you'll-hear-this-for-10-hours field music at all.

2) apparently they've put the track on a short loop, but there is more to it so it'll probably be some 3-5 minute loop instead of the 1-1,5 minute loop in the walkthrough.

Last "new" FF I played was XII, and I never beat it....I recently (past 2 years) beat FFIX finally, and now I need to beat FFX....so I'm a little out of the loop with the FF series. I had heard a bunch of smack talk about FFXIII from friends. It looks nice, but something about it doesn't interest me as much as I thought.

This though.....glob....I haven't read a single thing about it, and have only seen a few videos....but it looks amazing to me. I can only imagine the large open worlds with cities to match, with the level of polish the FF series is know for. Or, at least what I remember they were like..

daveo42

Banned
Finally got around to watching these. Looks graphically impressive and most of the negatives (mostly in world reflection and shadow/texture pop in) will be resolved before launch. When that is will be anyone's guess, but I'm hoping for late 2015 at this rate. It was also nice to see this in a much higher fidelity so it was easier to make out more of the locations, monsters, and more subtle details.

3bdelilah

Banned
I have no experience whatsoever with both the Final Fantasy series and Xenoblade, but judging from both their gameplay footage, THIS is how you do the faces (though I'm not fan of their "punkish" design itself). I still can't phantom how bad they are in Xenoblade X compared to the beautiful environments in there. I honestly thought I was looking at two different games.

Despite that, when all is said and done, I'm probably going to buy Xenoblade X because I already own a Wii U and because Monolith are said to be spec wizards (can´t say I disagree with Xenoblade running on the Wii in the first place).

I have no experience whatsoever with both the Final Fantasy series and Xenoblade, but judging from both their gameplay footage, THIS is how you do the faces (though I'm not fan of their "punkish" design itself). I still can't phantom how bad they are in Xenoblade X compared to the beautiful environments in there. I honestly thought I was looking at two different games.

Despite that, when all is said and done, I'm probably going to buy Xenoblade X because I already own a Wii U and because Monolith are said to be spec wizards (can´t say I disagree with Xenoblade running on the Wii in the first place).

The problem with Xenoblade is not that the faces look bad, it's just that the art is great, but it doesn't translate well into 3D. Which is a problem that many people still run into, specially when characters are a little "anime" in style.

Also, Square is not exactly behind Monolith in terms of tech, their AAA titles tend to be among the most impressive for the console.

Renekton

I think Monolith pared down model detail because they got lots of stuff going on (e.g. giant mechs) and Wii U isn't nearly as powerful as the PS4.

*clicks on link for a Final Fantasy game*

*immediately sees a car driving*

*lol*

lol I know right? I mean, do they even know what Final Fantasy even is? They just throw a car in there and then pretend that it's no big deal, like the series has been using cars for almost 20 years now, what a bunch of idiots. lol

Bazztek

Banned
*clicks on link for a Final Fantasy game*

*immediately sees a car driving*

*lol*

Yeah I know what is this, Final Fantasy VIII?
pvERp8A.jpg

JMlGcl2.jpg

Kikujiro

lol I know right? I mean, do they even know what Final Fantasy even is? They just throw a car in there and then pretend that it's no big deal, like the series has been using cars for almost 20 years now, what a bunch of idiots. lol

I'm pretty sure people who make this kind of comments never played a FF in the past 20 years, which is a freaking long time.

Derp

It's a shame the car is ugly as hell. They've overdone its style to the point where it looks hideous. It's super impressive graphically though.

Bazztek

Banned
It's a shame the car is ugly as hell. They've overdone its style to the point where it looks hideous. It's super impressive graphically though.

The car looks like it's based on the Cadillac Ciel, and we can customize the car anyway.

Funnily enough Ciel is French for Sky, Noctis's family name "Caelum" is Latin for Sky, and also the word "l'Cie" is an anagram of Ciel.

Esiquio

Okay guys, you're right! I've only beaten FF2 and FF9 so there's no way I know everything! Thanks for the references. I just found it kind of jarring from what I had expected to see.

Demo did look incredible, but it seems the upload quality wasn't nearly as good as it would look in person.

Why are FFX and FFXII discounted? XIII I can understand (even though I liked it myself), but discounting X which is very similar to the PS1 games, and discounting FFXII whose only fault is an innovative battle system, seems very wrong and entitled.

Plus on top of all this the game you're calling the true sequel is one that takes a radical step in a different direction than any FF before it and indeed was a spin-off that became a sequel.

IMO opinion the sense of traveling and exploration left the FF series after the PS1 era and moved towards a more cinematic direction. The actual traveling via airship or car was missing.

FFVX seems poised to bring that sense of traveling back to the franchise. I'm excited.

Horp

Environment and those huge creatures look great, but man the characters... They look like they belong at some kind of emo fetish party. Truly weird and disgusting to me.

sn00zer

Im surprised how early this game still is.... combat testing, still figuring out battle system, large expansive areas with almost nothing in them, still havent figured out what LOD system they will use.....Im excited, but damn this looks a LONG whiles off

Game looks damn good. I can't believe it is actually in game. It seems like a concept video for a game years ago where the real game would never be this good.

Philippo

Im surprised how early this game still is.... combat testing, still figuring out battle system, large expansive areas with almost nothing in them, still havent figured out what LOD system they will use.....Im excited, but damn this looks a LONG whiles off

I actually think the opposite, how good it looks for a game 1+ year away from release.
They're not still trying to figure out the BS, they're just porting old assets to the new engine and probably finishing animations for the end-game segments, but concept and mechanics wise it's not a prototype anymore.
Also, as the introduction to the walkthrough says itself, enemies and events were removed because they just wanted to show the landscape.
And of course they haven't decided on LOD, res, frame rate etc., game is still in alpha phase. Not even the March demo will have everyting finalized.

Horp

Yes, nothing more disgusting and fetish-y as black blazers with black shirts, black vests and dark trousers!

You missed the bare-chested with a shiny black leather vest, half opened look? And, well, "emo" applies to all of them obviously.

I still don't understand why dressing yourself in black means you're emo and a member of a j-pop group.

They turned events and most monsters off for the video, this area is probably already populated, they just didn't show.

Combat is probably done already, they are just designing enemies and bosses. And most of the concept for the game is already created, they just need to actually put everything in place and finish porting things to Luminous. It looks far from done, but if they're showing us the game every month it's not THAT long.

Hedge

You missed the bare-chested with a shiny black leather vest, half opened look? And, well, "emo" applies to all of them obviously.

That is one of them, isn't it? One barely makes a "fetish party", and isn't really worse than what other FF characters has worn in the past. I mean Barret has an open vest? Vaan has an open vest? Fang is basically wearing a sports brah and a sash. Fran was wearing nothing much either!

I'm still not seeing the crisis.

Pachinko

It's a nice quality video but youtube still compresses the hell out of it. It'll be nice to see the actual game in person next year with that demo.

I've been impressed with this game on a technical level since it's PS4 re-unveiling , still neat to see the actual engine under it all.

It looks great, I hope they can find a better AA solution. This may very well be the prettiest game I've seen, if they manage to fix that issue.

Didn't they say that a lot of stuff were deactivated for this tech demo in particular? like mostly all enemies, npc's and some other stuff, they just wanted to focus on the scale of the map with this presentation.

Edit: Here it is http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136681783&postcount=128.

XDAOROMANS

Neo Member
Glad the game looks great, but hope it's actually fun to play. FFXIII looked great too but was boring in terms of gameplay.

Top Bottom