• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM News Thread - Read rules before posting

Copons

http://steamcommunity.com/auction

Taken from Locust in Steam CM Thread.

About this, I've just learned about it and there are 40 pages or something in the community thread, so... did they close it after a bit or is there something wrong with me?
I get auction closed and no way to convert my items into gems.

Also, just for curiosity, if any of you already explored it enough: can you convert into gems non-"Steam Inventory tab" items (like games drops from CSGO/TF2/etc)? (never mind, they were pretty clear saying only cards/backgrounds/emoticons) And what do you drop now when you craft a badge?

Copons

Yeah they shut it down because people were duping the gems.

Ah yeah, I got to the point in the community thread where they lost everything buying stuff at low and selling at lower. :D
I didn't expect this to happen in another 20 or so pages though. :D

ArjanN

Update on BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend not being available in Europe:

Greetings from H2 Interactive,

We apologize for the delayed response.
We are very sorry that BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is currently not available to Europe region.
But please rest assured that we are in the process of bringing it to Europe. We are aware that many fans are waiting for the game and it is our best interest to make it happen as soon as possible. We will announce the exact date as soon as we know.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

MRORANGE

Megaton in Steam BETA:

General
Reduced CPU usage when drawing animated images or videos
Fixed video playback performance regression on Mac OS X and Linux
Added FPS counter to Steam Overlay
Fixed reloading settings values in the Steam Overlay

Broadcast
Improved capture performance in D3D9 games
Improved audio/video synchronization
Improved automatically adjusting video encoding bit rate when a change in available upload bandwidth is detected
Fixed opening the broadcast watch page from client UI (friends list, invite chat message, etc.) in the Steam Overlay
Improved capture performance in OpenGL games when hardware support is enabled on machines with newer Nvidia GPUs
Added first time use and other UI to Big Picture mode
Fixed first friend invite to a broadcast sometimes getting dropped

Blizzard

Banned
January 5 - Steam Client Beta Update - January 5th
General
Added user's choice of screen corner for FPS counter
Scaled FPS counter proportionally with screen resolution

Improved synchronization and smoothness of video playback

Broadcast
Fixed video capture stopping (but audio continuing) in some D3D10/11 games, such as Far Cry 4
Fixed some instances where a green screen may be broadcast
This is good, but I wonder why they didn't add a button to toggle it on or off like FRAPS? Or even just take the FRAPS feature of a button to switch corners / off?

*edit* The notes don't mention it, but the Steam settings also include a high-contrast checkbox that makes the FPS bright green.

Nzyme32

I wonder what Steam Video might entail.

Very interesting considering the closed captions inclusion as well. Would be nice to see other streaming services available as well. Still wondering what happened with the Spotify integration spotted way back when.

Parsnip

I wonder what Steam Video might entail.

Looking back at the wording in this Steam Universe thingy, I would assume that "media services" means netflix and similar.

H0lPvKI.jpg

It's the only feature still missing from that plan too.

Very interesting considering the closed captions inclusion as well. Would be nice to see other streaming services available as well. Still wondering what happened with the Spotify integration spotted way back when.

SteamDB was speculating that maybe Spotify Premium is the hold-up.

Zeknurn

Looking back at the wording in this Steam Universe thingy, I would assume that "media services" means netflix and similar.

H0lPvKI.jpg

It's the only feature still missing from that plan too.

Yeah, I guess it will be a local player like Steam Music and front-ends for the popular media streaming services at the most. I'm still hoping that they will start selling music and videos even though it's a mess in terms of regional licensing.

It looks like Valve might be adding a captcha to trade offers soon. Probably in an effort to combat automated trade offers.

However, seeing there is also an API for trade offers, this isn't making much sense just yet (classic Valve!). Stay tuned, I guess.

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/553615681250664450
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/553615763140272128

edit:
The captcha "feature" on trade offers we mentioned earlier is now live for everyone.

B67vHflCcAADpVu.png:large

Valve has excluded some existing trading services from the captcha requirement so they can still function. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/discussions/1/622954023422884592/ …

We’re updating trading to include a captcha as part of confirmation process. This is to prevent malware on users’ machines making trades on their behalf. We know it’s a bit of a hassle, and we don’t like making trading harder for users, but we do expect it to significantly help customers who are tricked into downloading and running malware from losing their items. We’ve excluded a few of the existing third-party trading services from this requirement so they can continue to function. If you have any suggestions on the trading process please let us know. Thanks.

Blizzard

Banned
It looked like there was another beta client update making a minor change to the FPS counter, but still no ability to bind a key that toggles it on or off (or moves it around). Also still no way to change the font or size as far as I can tell.

if you're interested you're probably already aware of this, however- the RE4 preorder soundtrack and art book haven't been sold separately as far as I can tell, so it might be the same with REmake's release.

if you're interested you're probably already aware of this, however- the RE4 preorder soundtrack and art book haven't been sold separately as far as I can tell, so it might be the same with REmake's release.

That happened with Strider, so the best thing to do, is preorder REmake if you want that arbook and ost.!

Coreda

Cross-posting from the main Steam thread:

A Github issue is blowing up on Hacker News. Moving your Steam directory on Linux and then immediately restarting Steam will silently perma-delete all files on the system both internal drives and external.

keyvin on Github said:
I am not sure what happened. I moved the folder in the title to a drive mounted under /media/user/BLAH and symlinked /home/user/.local/steam to the new location.

I launched steam. It did not launch, it offered to let me browse, and still could not find it when I pointed to the new location. Steam crashed. I restarted it.

It re-installed itself and everything looked great. Until I looked and saw that steam had apparently deleted everything owned by my user recursively from the root directory. Including my 3tb external drive I back everything up to that was mounted under /media.

Everything important, for the most part, was in the cloud. It is a huge hassle, but it is not a disaster. If there is the chance that moving your steam folder can result in recursively deleting everything in the directory tree you should probably just throw up an error instead of trying to point to other stuff. Or you know, allow the user to pick an install directory initially like on windows.

My system is ubuntu 14.04, and the drive I moved it to was ntfs if its worth anything.

Until this ridiculously careless bug is fixed don't move your Steam directory on Linux.

Zeknurn

Steam Inventory Service Now Available to Steamworks Developers

With today's Steamworks SDK update, we've released The Steam Inventory Service beta, a new feature available to developers with games or software on Steam. The Steam Inventory Service is a set of new Steamworks APIs and tools that allow a game to enable persistent items that have been purchase or unlocked by individual users without having to run special servers to keep track of these user's inventory.

6JZnXzA.jpg

With this service, a game can easily drop items to customers based on playtime or can grant items based on specific situations or actions within the game. These items can be marked as tradable through Steam or sellable via the Steam Marketplace. Developers can also configure recipes for crafting different combinations of items that result in more rare, unique, or valuable items.

This new service adds to the list of APIs available for free to Steamworks developers, including achievements, cloud saves, authentication services, error reporting, leaderboards, matchmaking, Steam Workshop, peer-to-peer networking, in-game overlay, downloadable content, and much more.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Being given an inventory item tied to an achievement or a specific situation would be great. Really hope someone takes advantage of that.

ArjanN

Being given an inventory item tied to an achievement or a specific situation would be great. Really hope someone takes advantage of that.

I thought there were already games that did this, like Portal 2 and Battleblock Theater, but I'm guessing those items weren't marketable.

Copons

I thought there were already games that did this, like Portal 2 and Battleblock Theater, but I'm guessing those items weren't marketable.

Not all of them, but some were.
Like this one:
ojQlmrb.png

There doesn't seem to be a precise pattern of "tradable, marketable" items in Battleblock Theater, nor I can find any transactions history for the bunch I checked, but still.

kabel

So MGS5:GZ, Transistor and Deponia just downloaded a 12.8MB patch.

All 3 games download the exact amount of data at once? What does that mean?

Durante

So MGS5:GZ, Transistor and Deponia just downloaded a 12.8MB patch.

All 3 games download the exact amount of data at once? What does that mean?
I also got 12.8 MB patches for 3 separate games (different ones).

I assume it some library install (by the way, Steam should really store those in a central repository per PC and not once per game).

Top Bottom