• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I skip most cutscenes. Do you?

Yeah, I tend to do this mostly with "AAA" games. But I rarely care what's going on with the plot in most games. Adventure games are the only ones I ever pay attention to.

DNAbro

Of course not. If they didn't want to tell a story, they wouldn't put a story in the game and I would feel like i missed out if i didn't see it at least once.

RPGCrazied

No. Thats like skipping pages in a novel. But I sometimes do if I have to rewatch them because of no skip option, usually right before a hard boss.

KarmaCow

I usually don't in fear of missing out on context like what I'm supposed to do (literally direction, not motivation) but I do enjoy when I can skip them with no worry. Recently, playing Valkyria Chronicles has been significantly better when I just skipped right to the battles.

I mean... why would you do that? You go through entire games without knowing at all why you're doing whatever needs to be done? And unless you only play very linear games, wouldn't skipping all cutscenes make it hard to even know what you need to do (though I suppose that's less of a problem in many modern games)?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ofcourse not. Games are getting more story driven by the second. Skipping cutscenes could mean you're skipping the game itself, more or less.

Kinda with you OP.

I usually give the game the first 2-3 cutscenes to grab me. If it doesnt do anything, every cutscene gets skipped from there.

If the first cut scene is too long, everything gets skipped anyway.

Also cutscenes from games like Rayman, Mario etc get skipped immediately.

Wedge7

lol no.

I love cutscenes, I also never understand when people just spam the buttons to get through the story sequences or text.

Never on the first play through, although I will text skip in games like skyrim when talking to npc's. It can go on for so long talking about crap I don't need to know so I just skim through every bit and stop skipping the text when it gets to the important bits

But all of it is important. There is not a single bit of dialogue in Skyrim, as your example, that doesn't reveal something about the world. Be it about that NPC in particular, the activities that townsfolk partake in, the location of bandits, types of monsters, the different races, the NPCs friendships or enemies. Everything is crucial. To truly understand the world I'm playing, I want to know it all.

HeelPower

Never on first playthrough.

Its an important part of the experience and one that developers put a lot of work into.

It also bridges the gameplay parts all together.

Nodnol

Almost never.

A huge part of my gaming experience is the narrative, no matter how trivial.

The only instance where I would, is if I'm immediately replaying something due to something not saving or a glitch or something. Even then, it's only normally trivial stuff, say like a conversation (Mass Effect, for instance).

RM8

Recent example: I'm loving Valkyria Chronicles, but good lord, the game gets super wordy and the pacing is worse because of it. So, nope, I don't care about the anime story. XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a similar-ish game, has much better pacing by not forcing story down your throat like that. So yeah, cut-scenes will be skipped :p

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have to say that despite not skipping anything ever if at all possible for my entire life, lately I've been more inclined to skip. But that's because I'm playing some games where it doesn't matter too much, and it's only a couple of pointless scenes. I have found myself less patient lately.

DeSolos

If the stories aren't grabbing you, you might be playing the wrong games. I rarely skip cutscenes, but if I'm repeatedly dying to a boss that starts off with a cutscene I'll definitely skip it.

I also loved Person 4 Golden's fast forward implementation. From a fast forwarded scene you should see enough visual cues to recall what happened the last time you played, and unlike purely skipping scenes whatever follows after(ie. a boss battle, someone dying, etc.) has some context.

SerTapTap

What? No. Sorry, no. No, no, no. Maybe on playthrough two, but only if I finished it some what recently.

It does drive me NUTS when they aren't skippable though, even the "first" time, as a lot can go wrong and cause you to replay a section (or maybe you just WANT to) and I shouldn't be punished by making me watch something I remember quite vividly.

Kinda with you OP.

I usually give the game the first 2-3 cutscenes to grab me. If it doesnt do anything, every cutscene gets skipped from there.

If the first cut scene is too long, everything gets skipped anyway.

Also cutscenes from games like Rayman, Mario etc get skipped immediately.
Sorry I should clarify. I do watch the first and second cutscenes but rarely ever get past the second. Like I said outside of Halo and GTA they get skipped.

Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 are some of my all time favourite games, but the stories and cutscenes are awful.

Gameplay>story for me

El_Cinefilo

Never, I want context to know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I don't understand the people saying they always skip them because game stories aren't very good. How do you know if you always skip them? You're not going to think they're very good if you're purely relying on the gameplay to tell the story

Gbraga

I used to only skip them after my first playthrough, but Crysis 3 made me an adept of first playthrough skipping, and now I'm a monster. Far Cry 3 wouldn't let me skip cutscenes, but it would play them even if I hit alt tab, so I just did that while they were playing.

I'm not quite on OP's level, skipping almost everything, and I even watched every single cutscene in The Last of Us at least 3 times, but my patience of shitty cutscenes is definitely running low.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sorry I should clarify. I do watch the first and second cutscenes but like I said outside of Halo and GTA they get skipped.

Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 are some of my all time favourite games, but the stories and cutscenes are awful.

Gameplay>story for me

Do you play story driven games like The Last of Us?

Adnor

Banned
I also skipped the flavor text of Torchlight and almost skipped the cutscenes of Alan Wake (I stopped playing instead).

I also was listening to a podcast while playing Blacklist, so I really didn't listen to the cutscenes. Now that I think of it I also did that with Sniper Elite V2, Rage, Prince of Persia and I'm sure some other game I can't remember.

Kinyou

I think in some games the story is so trivial that it really doesn't take away much from the experience. (Ninja gaiden for example, as the op already mentioned)

However, playing through a story focused game like Uncharted and skipping all the cutscenes would seem insane to me.

Magnus

Skip them like, before you've seen them the first time? I don't get it. How would you know what's going on with the story? I dunno, cut scenes (when done well) are a highlight and usually pretty instrumental in my understanding of a game's story.

About the only game I've skipped cut scenes in indiscriminately was Halo, actually, because they were so boring.

G-Fex

Absolutely

It's pretty fucking lame when games won't let you skip cutscenes. It should Always be optional. ALWAYS.

I never skip cut scenes unless I am replaying a game for a "perfect" run. Never could understand people who do skip cut scenes.

i absolutely skip them when i can. a cutscene isn't a game. if i want a good story i'll read a book.

edit: which is why i read a lot of books

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Skip them like, before you've seen them the first time? I don't get it. How would you know what's going on with the story? I dunno, cut scenes (when done well) are a highlight and usually pretty instrumental in my understanding of a game's story.

About the only game I've skipped cut scenes in indiscriminately was Halo, actually, because they were so boring.

Personally don't like video game stories, I play for the gameplay and yep I just skip the intros, cut scenes etc.

Molemitts

I much prefer story telling to be done in game, but I would never skip cutscenes on my first playthrough. That's just silly.

i absolutely skip them when i can. a cutscene isn't a game. if i want a good story i'll read a book.

This mentality seriously hurts my brain.

Gaming is a media form, just like books, movies and TV. Interactive story telling is fantastic, therefore there are many incredible stories in gaming.

I absolutely could not be a gamer without the stories, just no way. Far too boring.

Top Bottom