• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

furfoots

Any tips for Nightmare mode? Best class/party makeup/etc.?

My nightmare group doing dragons at equal level with minimal potions used and whole group alive (ie. not just having the KE solo it) without the need for tactic view .

Templar
S/S, Vanguard
Tank with bodyguard and good at setting up combos

Knight Enchanter
Spirit, Winter
Barrier-bot and combo detonator

Assassin
Archery, Sabotage (2 crit passives), Stealth
Single target sustain damage (great on dragons)

Rift mage
Fire, Spirit
AOE for groups and more barriers

Trick to nightmare is keeping your gear up to scratch really. So every piece must be at or near your level (so quite a bit of crafting involved). Oh and not using a reaver they seem kinda weak at higher difficulties as having low health is just asking for trouble.

Any tips for Nightmare mode? Best class/party makeup/etc.?

Having a dedicated tank that can generate Guard is a must (Blackwall is probably the best tank overall since he has the Champion specialization).

Having a mage with Barrier and the passive that makes enemies target you less from the Spirit tree is a must, then reduced cooldown passive from the Fire tree, the Specialization is up to you (Dorian: Necro, Viv: Knight Enchanter, Solas: Rift Mage).

Having a rogue isn't a bad idea if you're exploring and need to open some locked doors and chests. Cole is also pretty beastly with daggers + poisons.

Spineker

Banned
It's been a long time since I've fallen this deeply in love with a game.

Just completed the Still Ruins. Walking through the frozen battle was awesome and the reward at the end is an amazing staff that goes really well with Dorian and his Necromancer abilities.

My nightmare group doing dragons at equal level with minimal potions used and whole group alive (ie. not just having the KE solo it) without the need for tactic view .

Templar
S/S, Vanguard

Knight Enchanter
Spirit, Winter

Assassin

Rift mage
Fire, Spirit

Trick to nightmare is keeping your gear up to scratch really. So every piece must be at or near your level (so quite a bit of crafting involved). Oh and not using a reaver they seem kinda weak at higher difficulties as having low health is just asking for trouble.

Having a dedicated tank that can generate Guard is a must (Blackwall is probably the best tank overall since he has the Champion specialization).

Having a mage with Barrier and the passive that makes enemies target you less from the Spirit tree is a must, then reduced cooldown passive from the Fire tree, the Specialization is up to you (Dorian: Necro, Viv: Knight Enchanter, Solas: Rift Mage).

Having a rogue isn't a bad idea if you're exploring and need to open some locked doors and chests. Cole is also pretty beastly with daggers + poisons.

Thanks for the advice. I really want to platinum this game so I'm thinking about finishing off my normal playthrough early and just making my Nightmare file the one I go after all the achievements on.

Gah I got the cut scene bug in my romance with Cassandra. Had to YouTube it and look some scene kid looking elf have his way with her instead of my manly beardiquisitor.

I think it was reasonalbly well made and I'm not talking
only about the lady parts.

Namikaze1

This cut scene bug is really pissing me off. Was forced to exit out the game because scene wouldn't play out fine and pressing square to skip wasn't working at all.

valkyre

Templar
S/S, Vanguard

Knight Enchanter
Spirit, Winter

Assassin

Rift mage
Fire, Spirit

With this kind of a setup, do all battles in nightmare mode have to be from the top down view, via pausing the action?

Or can you play from 3rd person and only stop the action some times?

I am only asking because I really dont like pausing the action all the time.

Gah I got the cut scene bug in my romance with Cassandra. Had to YouTube it and look some scene kid looking elf have his way with her instead of my manly beardiquisitor.

I think it was reasonalbly well made and I'm not talking
only about the lady parts.

Just making sure this is known, but for many players, waiting 30 seconds or a little more will have the cutscene resume without issue. I've watched it a couple times from my save and it did it every time. Needs to be fixed, obviously, but this and other cutscenes will still play through. I had to wait out three parts of the later story event
Hawke/Stroud/Fade
cutscenes as they hung as well.

Whoever QA'd this... [wags finger with disappointment].

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How did you handle the minions in the Hissing Wastes Dragon? They fucked me up good during my first attempt. I somehow managed to kill the dragon on my second attempt after 30 minutes. Crazy shit. Almost died like 10 times.

they went down pretty fast with my lvl 20 party. it was tough I had 1 potion left at the end

Bessy67

If you guys haven't checked yet, go check the special chest in the Skyhold crafting room. I just got scematics for "Superb" armor/weapons of the dragon.

Edit: Don't get too excited I guess, it's still not that great.

furfoots

With this kind of a setup, do all battles in nightmare mode have to be from the top down view, via pausing the action?

Or can you play from 3rd person and only stop the action some times?

I am only asking because I really dont like pausing the action all the time.

No, like I said tactical view is not really used. Just setup the tactics properly and you're good to go. The problem is that for any group to get to this level they have to atleast be in skyhold and have the specializations unlocked.

valkyre

No, like I said tactical view is not really used. Just setup the tactics properly and you're good to go. The problem is that for any group to get to this level they have to atleast be in skyhold and have the specializations unlocked.

So up to that point tactical view is the way to go? How far into the game is this group you are presenting possible to create?

Sorry for the many questions, but I am deciding right here and now whether I going to go for nightmare (and platinum) or just start at hard and avoid tons of frustration that might impact my enjoyment of the game.

Also, are you able to change the difficulty to lower levels after starting on nightmare?

i was gonna buying this game..then i found it has micro transactions

fuck that shit

you wanna be a mobile game?
then i'll wait till the game will cost like a mobile game.
1375735945_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

New Morrigan
4xhNyar.png

(Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts spoiler)
No idea why someone would willingly support Corypheus. Glad I reaved that goofy bitch to death

New Morrigan
4xhNyar.png

(Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts spoiler)
No idea why someone would willingly support Corypheus. Glad I reaved that goofy bitch to death

Yeah, didn't make much sense. I had preferred it if they had left Corypheus out of that quest and simply focused on the politics.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did the what pride had wrought quest, now I need to talk to
morrigan
and it sounds like the end of the game. is it? because I havent touched emprise du lion yet, I was waiting for the story to send me there

on the quest itself, was great as most story quests have been. can you even NOT
take the well
? it didnt seem that was an option to me. I let
Morrigan use it
, seemed to fit the story (
and both her character and mine
) better. And I fully expect Dragon Age 4 with
her as the villain anyway
:p

fuck that shit

I'v seen some overreactions on this forum, but this surely takes the cake.

just did the what pride had wrought quest, now I need to talk to
morrigan
and it sounds like the end of the game. is it? because I havent touched emprise du lion yet, I was waiting for the story to send me there

on the quest itself, was great as most story quests have been. can you even NOT
take the well
? it didnt seem that was an option to me. I let
Morrigan use it
, seemed to fit the story (
and both her character and mine
) better. And I fully expect Dragon Age 4 with
her as the villain anyway
:p
The mission after talking to her is the last. And she's not a villain.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

fuck that shit

I'm 52 hours into single player, only half way through the main story, and there's no MTs in SP. This game packs a lot of content.

Rhaknar

I'v seen some overreactions on this forum, but this surely takes the cake.

The mission after talking to her is the last. And she's not a villain.

I said
I expect her to be one by DA4, not that she is now. she is quite dubious since the first game tho
. and shit, then I guess the game DOESNT send you to emprise du lion? guess its time to do that before anything else then

grimmiq

What sword and shield abilities are best to prioritize early on?

War Cry, Shield Bash and the Scorpion Grappling Hook type ability worked great for me on Nightmare and works wonders against annoying mages and is good for starting fights, if there's an archer and a couple of melee, I can usually grapple the archer and kill it before the melee get close.

Shield Bash and the Grapple are also great for mages, Pull them towards you and the knee will knock them down, couple of normal hits til he gets up, Shield Bash to knock him back down, couple more normal hits and he teleports away just in time for Grapple to be ready again.

I said
I expect her to be one by DA4, not that she is now. she is quite dubious since the first game tho
. and shit, then I guess the game DOESNT send you to emprise du lion? guess its time to do that before anything else then

Cullen's quest is the only thing that sends you there.

Starting to view the side zones in a different light. I usually run through with a completionist* attitude but there's so damn much I'm afraid I'll lose interest if I keep at it, so I think I"ll only do 1-2 zones between story quests, the companion quests, and then do the other zones either after I beat the game or in another playthrough.

Violet_0

Banned
Fell into the ground in Skyhold

this happens practically every time I enter the mage tower or the garden.

before I started running the game in windowed mode, I couldn't make it past the intro before it crashed. I encounter invisible NPCs all the time and loading areas can take minutes, although to be fair I wasn't even really sure if the game would run on my laptop

Ploid 3.0

fuck that shit

I've probably put 30 hours in MP, buying the chests are not going to get you anywhere. You get them easy enough as it is and you still have a low chance at getting mega awesome loot. I have probably went through 100+ chests. One MP clear could almost get you just enough for a medium chest with every secret door being opened and every event cleared.

It's weird how you can acces the second set of four abilities in multiplayer but seemingly can't actually set them?

That set is for potions and bomb type concoctions only.

Jb

Had that weird glitch happen where the next line of dialogue doesn't seem to load for some reason during the romance scene with Cassandra. Made my inquisitor look like the creepy silent character from Drive:
http://youtu.be/P_nz0p237mg
(Nipple warning)

Are the companion quests integral to their story or are they just massive approvement boosts so you can unlock more dialog? I'm already in really good standing with cassandra and I don't feel like going to 6 different zones for her quests if it doesn't unlock anything significant.

Rixxan

Two questions that need semi-non spoilery answers, as Im only 15 hours or so into the game:

1) Can you romance multiple party members, or if you pursue one are the rest locked out?

2) At roughly what percentage in the game do you get (Party Member Spoiler, maybe?)
Morrigan
- and is
she
a romance option?

Game is incredible, loving it

Bessy67

Two questions that need semi-non spoilery answers, as Im only 15 hours or so into the game:

1) Can you romance multiple party members, or if you pursue one are the rest locked out?

2) At roughly what percentage in the game do you get (Party Member Spoiler, maybe?)
Morrigan
- and is
she
a romance option?

Game is incredible, loving it
1) Not sure, I haven't tried. I'd guess no though
2) Around 75%, and no.

Zukuu

Banned
Are the companion quests integral to their story or are they just massive approvement boosts so you can unlock more dialog? I'm already in really good standing with cassandra and I don't feel like going to 6 different zones for her quests if it doesn't unlock anything significant.
Most characters have 2 quests: a "fetch quest" type, which offers little to no new dialogue and can be done to boost the approval and every character has a "personal" quest, which involves the character heavily and offers new dialogue.

Even doing a couple of them is plenty. You get a greatly approves after each one.

So far the quests don't seem the least bit integral. Maybe something comes together later.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

fuck that shit

It's in the multi only.

Calm the fuck down.

Audioboxer

Anyone have a good mage build guide to follow for the first 10 levels or so? (until KE)

Playing on normal so just looking to nuke as much as possible.

Cheers

Zafir

I said

She's been ambiguous in her motives, but I've never considered her to be evil in all honesty. In DAO she was best described as Chaotic Neutral, and in DAI I felt she'd grown massively from the start of DAO. I feel like the warden really influenced her massively, it was nice to see.

Hystzen

Regarding portrait cards on party select member so far Varric has changed 3 times while Dorian has changed to a creepy evil looking one even after calling me friend. Guessing it based around personal quests but do they change depending on choices you make during the quests just wondering if anybody got links to different images

Zafir

Regarding portrait cards on party select member so far Varric has changed 3 times while Dorian has changed to a creepy evil looking one even after calling me friend. Guessing it based around personal quests but do they change depending on choices you make during the quests just wondering if anybody got links to different images

They change based on both doing quests and the choices you make during them as far as I'm aware. They seem to swap when you've locked into their romance path too.

Chiggs

Boss Spoilers - Here Lies the Abyss

Nightmare is a badass looking boss who is a complete pain in the ass on higher difficulty settings. His one hit insta-kill move is brutal.

So is there any danger in locking out romances by progressing through 2 at a time? Is there a "point of no return" and is it obvious?

There's no point of no return, once you start having a relationship you can still progressing with someone else and if you change your mind you can also end one. I went from being in a relationship with Josephine to being with Cassandra without any side effects.

Zafir

So is there any danger in locking out romances by progressing through 2 at a time? Is there a "point of no return" and is it obvious?

Well, once you start the romance, you're locked out of a lot of other romances until you end it. In terms of male relationships, Iron bull and Josephine won't start if you're in a relationship, Dorien tells you to break it off if you want to go. Not sure about female ones.

In terms of being able to get out of the relationship, it does tell you above where you're at, and I'm pretty sure it mentions it's the last time you can get out. The last point you can get out of Cassandra's is
during her sex scene, if you dare to do that.

Was just about to ask. The banter bug is getting to me. I only noticed how quiet everyone was after I read about the bug. Now the quiet is driving me nuts.

Doubt the banter fix will be in the first patch. Bioware just became aware of it about 2-3 days ago. Unless it's something that gets fixed as a side effect of other fixes I think it will be a little while before it's addressed.

As others have said the collections are the actual companion quests and are really only there to farm approval if you need to. The actual personal quests are high quality.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Boss Spoilers - Here Lies the Abyss

Nightmare is a badass looking boss who is a complete pain in the ass on higher difficulty settings. His one hit insta-kill move is brutal.
I loved that guy. Reminds me of Del Toro's designs.

jrcbandit

When dealing with choices like the mages why does Bioware only do extremes that don't necessarily make sense.
It's obvious that mages can't handle true freedom from their inept actions in DA2 and this game, but is slavery under the Inquisition really the only logical alternative? Will just lead to a future rebellion/ resentment. How about something in the middle that would benefit everyone, all the prior games showed that neither choice you're given actually works.

KingV

I haven't played DAO or DA2 in a few years but it seems like the non tactical view works differently than it used to. In the older ones, I remember being able to basically go to each member of the party in the paused menu, issue commands, and then they would execute them.

It doesn't seem to work the same in DAI, like as soon as I stopped controlling the character they start doing their own thing completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom