• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Randam

Did a side mission at the opium farm.
When I finished it suddenly the marker for story missions pops up.
I go inside the house and there is amita waiting.
Lol

Skyzard

Banned
I hate that at basically every outpost home place there is a civilian waiting for me and screaming/crying. Sometimes tied up by the bed, despite the outpost being liberated, and can only be untied once you accept their mission.

Emergency, emergency filler mission, your attention FUCKING NOW!!!

(what seems like everytime too) -_-

Game rules though. 15 hours, 30% completion.

Can you actually get to the snow areas just by wandering about btw? [Just read that you can't. That kinda sucks.]

Also...why am I getting monkey statues again?

I don't see any campaign missions atm, unless the Hs and Ys need to be done first.

Gray Matter

I hate that at basically every outpost home place there is a civilian waiting for me and screaming/crying. Sometimes tied up by the bed, despite the outpost being liberated, and can only be untied once you accept their mission.

Emergency, emergency filler mission, your attention FUCKING NOW!!!

(what seems like everytime too) -_-

Game rules though. 15 hours, 30% completion.

Can you actually get to the snow areas just by wandering about btw?

Also...why am I getting monkey statues again?

I don't see any campaign missions atm, unless the Hs and Ys need to be done first.

I haven't explored there yet but I think the snowy areas are in northern Kyrat and the Himalayas.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Two things that piss me off about this game that everyone I knew complained about in Farcry 3 and they're still a problem here that may not sound like a big deal, but can take relatively easy encounters and turn them into a rage inducing angerfest.

1. Animals being bullet sponges and annoying the fucking shit outta you. I'm sorry, but a bullet (or arrow) to the head should be able to take down any animal, but these bastards are bullet sponges and can take you down real quick which can be VERY annoying when trying to stealthily take out an outpost and can eat away your health syringes really fast. Yes, I know you get a syringe that can persuade the animals to leave you alone, but you don't get that until way later in the game.

2. Also, it's annoying that you can only autoswitch between two weapons at once and it will alternate between your current weapon and last used weapon. In normal situations this isn't a problem, but if you're in a firefight and run outta ammo it won't automatically switch between weapons with ammo. It got frustrating a few times.

For the most part the game is pretty easy, but those things can make it annoying at times.

Skyzard

Banned
I haven't explored there yet but I think the snowy areas are in northern Kyrat and the Himalayas.

I just edited, but I've read a few posts online that says they aren't accessible, only through story missions.

I was hoping they'd be in the North part too...haven't gone there myself either.

Anyone unlocked the map that can confirm? Hoping I understood it wrong. Some snow to contrast all this green would be awesome (not through missions -_-).

vypek

Never used the grapple or the chopper?
Or the friendlies you can call (or take with you) to help in a fight?

And there's free-roam co-op.

Oh yeah, I'm a goof, you're right. I keep forgetting about that. I did do some takedowns with the chopper and I used the grapple (a very much needed improvement and I think they should add in even more grapple areas).

I used the guns for hire every now and then too. They are pretty good. And I did help liberate quite a few places in co-op. Yeah, I didn't realize how much this game improved on stuff.

Once I got a feel for everything I restarted the game with all of the interface options turned off except hp, ammo, and crouch. So far I'm really enjoying it a lot more.

Skyzard

Banned
^Just used them against the heavy for the first time. Finally, some stopping power :)
Love the bow too.

Once I got a feel for everything I restarted the game with all of the interface options turned off except hp, ammo, and crouch. So far I'm really enjoying it a lot more.

I plan to play like that again and on hard for my second run.

I just disabled bell towers and outposts and was already enjoying the game more since you actually have to look around for tall spots/smoke. Not like it's impossible anyway.
Atm, sometimes, I feel like I'm just chasing down icons on the minimap.

Nice to remove tagging too.

Also turning off icons on the map itself - but they come back each time you open the game :/
They don't trust you enough.

Alienous

I wonder what location Far Cry 5 goes to after the Himalayas.

Also, I wonder if we'll have any past Far Cry protagonists cross paths again.

Dan Hay hinted that he knows where they're headed next, and that they have a few locations they could go to.

So it seems like they know what they're doing. The Himalayas really was an inspired choice, though. I don't think anyone would have begrudged them had it been an island again.

ezekial45

Banned

One of the side-characters you do mission with actually mentioned he was heading off to another location
"somewhere in South America, or maybe Cuba."

So that could potentially be a hint for where they'll go next. I would like to see more Snow areas, though. We didn't get enough of that in this game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Oof, finally unlocked the northern area. I tried to bruteforce my way through the last couple of southern missions, I literally just sprinted right through the
prison escape. Awful mission, by the way
. Probably shouldn't have done that because I was fucking DONE with this game as soon as I unlocked the north.

I should take a break for a few days, I guess.

Oof, finally unlocked the northern area. I tried to bruteforce my way through the last couple of southern missions, I literally just sprinted right through the
. Probably shouldn't have done that because I was fucking DONE with this game as soon as I unlocked the north.

I did the same thing and now feel the same way. I enjoyed my time with the game, but I just feel so burnt out now. I might just focus solely on the campaign, get it over and done with, then trade it in for £35 (I paid £42) before the trade-in price drops further.

Aces&Eights

I literally just did the same thing. Brute force run through prison and now up in the north. Don't quit. this is where the game is actually opening up. The entire south was easy peasy for me and I am playing on hard mode with a lot of stuff turned off. Now, I can't just stealth kill with bow and move forward. Enemies are EVERYWHERE and there are a lot of heavys. Shit goes south FAST. It takes a lot more planning and movement and hiding of bodies to not have alarms get triggered. That prison mission was a one off. In fact, the first mission in the north was so engaging I am thinking about turning off football to play some more and that is just insane.

Gray Matter

I did the same thing and now feel the same way. I enjoyed my time with the game, but I just feel so burnt out now. I might just focus solely on the campaign, get it over and done with, then trade it in for £35 (I paid £42) before the trade-in price drops further.

I feel the same way. That was such a bad mission, it killed the fun momentum.

vypek

The
prison escape
is one of the worst missions in the game to me. If you made it past that then I think you'll be fine with the rest of the game as there are no points worse that that mission.

I literally just did the same thing. Brute force run through prison and now up in the north. Don't quit. this is where the game is actually opening up. The entire south was easy peasy for me and I am playing on hard mode with a lot of stuff turned off. Now, I can't just stealth kill with bow and move forward. Enemies are EVERYWHERE and there are a lot of heavys. Shit goes south FAST. It takes a lot more planning and movement and hiding of bodies to not have alarms get triggered. That prison mission was a one off. In fact, the first mission in the north was so engaging I am thinking about turning off football to play some more and that is just insane.

I just noticed this when entering the north for the first time. I hit a guy with my bow, he didn't die, I was like "HUH?!...did I miss or something?". I've enjoyed using my bow, and I love playing stealth...but I think I may just switch it up and start using the big, loud weaponry for the rest of the game now. Keep it fresh, ya know?

Aces&Eights

I just noticed this when entering the north for the first time. I hit a guy with my bow, he didn't die, I was like "HUH?!...did I miss or something?". I've enjoyed using my bow, and I love playing stealth...but I think I may just switch it up and start using the big, loud weaponry for the rest of the game now. Keep it fresh, ya know?

Exactly. No matter how fun a game is it can get stale. I love my bow and stealth but after the prison I was like, "meh, a whole other area of this?" Whelp, now my rocket launcher and grenade launcher are the only things keeping me alive as I scramble for a safe place to heal. These north enemies are no joke and now I am totally second guessing how in the hell im going to take the remaining two forts

Hamlet

The
prison escape
is one of the worst missions in the game to me. If you made it past that then I think you'll be fine with the rest of the game as there are no points worse that that mission.

I just hate how it won't let you stab anyone with the throwing knives so frustrating. I just ended up running down the side of the map till i reached the tower/armoury and then ran the rest of the way to the end of the mission. Screw dealing with those dogs i'm outta here.

And yeah thankfully it gets better after that.

The Cowboy

The
prison escape

What i did (after a couple of tries)..

As i had
the infinite sprint, as soon as i did the 1st part (to get down from the cell area), i simply ran the entire work camp area top to bottom - took about a minute or so and that was it.

Really quite easy and yes i agree, that level is terrible.

Edit.
Ninja'd on the same exact way we did the mission :D

Beaulieu

1. Animals being bullet sponges and annoying the fucking shit outta you. I'm sorry, but a bullet (or arrow) to the head should be able to take down any animal, but these bastards are bullet sponges and can take you down real quick which can be VERY annoying when trying to stealthily take out an outpost and can eat away your health syringes really fast. Yes, I know you get a syringe that can persuade the animals to leave you alone, but you don't get that until way later in the game.

you realize how boring that would be, right ?

Is this worth buying right now on PC for someone who loved 3? Or should I wait until Christmas when I get a PS4? I'm tempted to just get it on Steam right now, really have an itch to play it. I'm pretty sure I can run it well.

Aces&Eights

Is this worth buying right now on PC for someone who loved 3? Or should I wait until Christmas when I get a PS4? I'm tempted to just get it on Steam right now, really have an itch to play it. I'm pretty sure I can run it well.

PC thread has quite a few people with good rigs saying there is a stuttering issue. I have the PS4 version and it run great.

Hamlet

What i did (after a couple of tries)..

As i had
the infinite sprint, as soon as i did the 1st part (to get down from the cell area), i simply ran the entire work camp area top to bottom - took about a minute or so and that was it.

Really quite easy and yes i agree, that level is terrible.

Edit.
Ninja'd on the same exact way we did the mission :D

Haha well it is the only tolerable way of finishing that mission.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm pretty sure the ps4 version is only 30fps.

Eh still better than the stuttering that goes on if it's similar to the issue that Watch Doge had. Stuff made the game unplayable for me and made me feel sick even though it said my game was running at 60FPS through Fraps, I was still getting stuttering to an insane degree. Part of the reason I went with the PS4 version of this game was being afraid of that exact issue, and I'm glad I seemed to have dodged the bullet on that one since people have been reporting that it has the stuttering too.

Also how am I supposed to get this misdirection trophy? Only trophy I need left, and I can't seem to get it at all.

taoofjord

For a game with all the usual Ubisoft mechanics, this stands out as being a game that is actually fun to play, making the Ubisoft collectable/side quest checklist more bearable. But I'm ready for it to end and it keeps going on and on. I should probably just force myself to take a break so I can play one of the other games in my backlog but I want that Gamestop $40 trade-in credit.

Strider

For a game with all the usual Ubisoft mechanics, this stands out as being a game that is actually fun to play, making the Ubisoft collectable/side quest checklist more bearable. But I'm ready for it to end and it keeps going on and on. I should probably just force myself to take a break so I can play one of the other games in my backlog but I want that Gamestop $40 trade-in credit.

Yea. Generally when I play a Ubisoft game it takes me a long long time to complete it. I get bored of all the colectibles/sidequests if I play it everyday for an hour or more. Have to take breaks. It took me about a month and a half to beat AC4 for example.

I'll be doing the same with this. Really fun in smaller intervals.

Gray Matter

It does. I'll be binge playing this weekend to hopefully get the platinum (which is relatively easy) and get that $40 trade in.

Already for the MP trophies, which were a drag.

Aces&Eights

I'm pretty sure the ps4 version is only 30fps.

Well, that is a given. I was just saying that I had read that quite a few people on PC had a stuttering issue, I assume unrelated to framerate, and it was pretty noticeable. On console, it appears to be locked at 30 with very rare dips and that at least makes it quite playable.

Hugstable

Banned
It does. I'll be binge playing this weekend to hopefully get the platinum (which is relatively easy) and get that $40 trade in.

Already for the MP trophies, which were a drag.

I still can't believe I'm probably gonna be getting my 3rd Plat ever with this game most likely by tonight. Gonna aim for 100% in game completion by tonight also, sitting at a beautiful 94% :D

Skyzard

Banned
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to access the snowy areas outside of missions? Possibly in north?
Well, that is a given. I was just saying that I had read that quite a few people on PC had a stuttering issue, I assume unrelated to framerate, and it was pretty noticeable. On console, it appears to be locked at 30 with very rare dips and that at least makes it quite playable.

This is true.

Most annoying issues are fixed with some fiddling though.

I dunno what to recommend tbh. The fiddling will take textures down to medium (disabling mipmapping) but if you can run it at 2560x1440, it looks damn good, also locked to 30.

2. Also, it's annoying that you can only autoswitch between two weapons at once and it will alternate between your current weapon and last used weapon.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you are on the ps4 version you can swipe the touchpad in the direction of the gun you want. It's faster than brining up the menu anyway.

Goldrusher

I still can't believe I'm probably gonna be getting my 3rd Plat ever with this game most likely by tonight. Gonna aim for 100% in game completion by tonight also, sitting at a beautiful 94% :D
Distracting 15 enemies is once again a very annoying trophy, just like in Far Cry 3.
And I had to reset my outposts to get another cargo truck to spawn.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to access the snowy areas outside of missions? Possibly in north?
No. All of the special stuff takes place in missions. Snow, drugs, Shangri-La, etc.

Somewhere Longinus mentioned. South America or... middle east?
TBH they've already covered islands, "africa" and nepal, which was completely unexpected. Outside of delving even further into asia, which would seem a bit repetitive, what with them just coming out of Tibet, South America seems like the only choice.
Ah, wiki sez cuba.

Yes, that'd be lovely too.

Gotta give credit to ubi for consistently trying to avoid the standard locations that every other softhouse uses.

Setsuna

Somewhere Longinus mentioned. South America or... middle east?
TBH they've already covered islands, "africa" and nepal, which was completely unexpected. Outside of delving even further into asia, which would seem a bit repetitive, what with them just coming out of Tibet, South America seems like the only choice.
They could always do Austrailia

Im scared just thinking of it

Aces&Eights

The outposts in the north are no joke, fucking mortars, helicopters and a shit ton of enemies.

Yeah, the whole Rambo with a bow is just not working out for me anymore. Quite the blow to the ego since that is how I dominated the South. Now, I'm just a bumbling, grenade launching idiot running to anything that looks like cover so I can attempt to heal.

Every outpost in the game has some higher vantage point around it. Go around, up, pop hunting potion, grab your silenced sniper and pop heads. If you miss a shot, relocate to the sides.

And oh gods a Far Cry in the outback. Is there even enough foliage to hide behind in there?
1919px-Outback_view_from_Chambers_Pillar.jpg
Damn thing would be Wake in Fright: The Videogame. Could even make the PC a teacher for bonus reference points.

Top Bottom